29 May 08...

Rasta Pasta

Proud Member

MJ News in review 29 May 08

FEATURED ON THRILLERCAST: MARK GOODMAN

One of the original five VJs on MTV when it started and current Sirius Radio host, Mark Goodman shares his stories of how Michael and "Thriller" changed the landscape for African-Americans on MTV, and the face of music overall.

http://www.michaeljackson.com/news_351

Ne-yo Confirms Michael Jackson Collaboration

By WENN, 29th May 2008

R+B sensation NE-YO has confirmed he is working on pop legend MICHAEL JACKSON's comeback album.

The So Sick singer, who has written hits for Rihanna and Beyonce Knowles, is now helping both Michael and Janet Jackson prepare new releases.

Ne-Yo, real name Shaffer Smith, reveals working with the Thriller hitmaker is one of his most challenging jobs yet.

He says, "I'm submitting songs for his new album. He's being very selective; very picky, but he's supposed to be. This is a going to be a really important album."

Ne-Yo isn't the first person to work with Jackson on his comeback album - will.i.am spent a large part of last year (07) in the studio with the pop superstar and Akon is rumoured to be part of the project as well. -Yo isn't the first person to work with Jackson on his comeback album - will.i.am spent a large part of last year (07) in the studio with the pop superstar and Akon is rumoured to be part of the project as well.

http://www.showbizspy.com/news/05282008/ne-yo-confirms-michael-jackson-collaboration

Day 132: What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man

Musicnotes in tune with publishers to offer free content on MXTabs.net

Musicnotes Inc., a retailer of digital sheet music and tablature, will offer free guitar, bass and drum tablature, or tabs, from Sony/ATV Music Publishing and other music publishers on the retailer’s community site MXTabs.net. Publishers and artists will share in the site’s ad revenue.

“We are thrilled that MXTabs.net has become a legitimate outlet for the distribution of guitar tabs and we’re excited about the new opportunities it will create for our songwriters,” says Peter Brodsky, executive vice president, business and legal affairs, Sony/ATV Music Publishing.

Musicnotes, No. 487 in the Internet Retailer Top 500 Guide, says the agreements with music publishers will increase the number of tabs, or notes for playing guitar, bass and drum music, to 50,000 from the 35,000 currently available on MXTabs.net. But while many of the existing tabs on the site are generated by site users, the new crop of tabs will be the original music for songs from artists including The Beatles, The Eagles, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, Phish and other well-known performers.

Musicnotes acquired the assets of MXTabs.net after the community site shut down in 2006. The retailer relaunched the site early this year under a test phase and plans to officially relaunch it on July 1 with the additional content from its new partners, Musicnotes says. In addition to Sony/ATV, Musicnotes has reached content agreements with Alfred Publishing, EMI Christian Music Group, Horipro, Who Is She Music, Simpleville Music and Big Loud Bucks. These publishers join Famous Music (now a part of Sony/ATV), BMG/Zomba (a part of Universal Music Publishing), peermusic, BUG Music, and thousands of other publishers who have signed on to MXTabs through the Harry Fox Agency, Musicnotes says.

“EMI CMG Publishing has been very pleased with Musicnotes’ forward-thinking action plans and growth. They really understand this digital space,” says Casey McGinty, senior vice president at EMI CMG Publishing. “MXTabs.net is a brave endeavor on their part and a model whose time has come to be tested.”

Adds Alfred Publishing CEO Steven Manus, “Alfred is excited to partner with Musicnotes to help provide thousands of musicians with a legal way to obtain guitar, bass and drum tabs on the MXTabs.net site. We are always eager to embark on new partnerships which allow us to embrace new business models that better represent our large roster of artists and their copyrights. It is through these endeavors that we can empower a new generation of customers to learn, teach and play music.”
Tim Reiland, Musicnotes.com’s chairman and chief financial officer, is speaking at the Internet Retailer Conference & Exhibition, June 9-12 in Chicago in a session titled Web technology: My problem and how I solved it.
http://www.internetretailer.com/dailyNews.asp?id=26537

spacer.gif

wow hes helping janet to prepare a new album too ? :huh: but she just released an album :unsure:

Why would Janet be releasing a new album when she JUST put one out? That would look bad. It would be like there was NO concern for the quality of the product.

Last edited:
More about Ne-yo:

Ne-Yo's Forthcoming Song, "Nobody" Pays Homage to Michael Jackson
http://mjjr.net/news.php?cat.6In the May 30th issue of Entertainment Weekly, several of the tracks from Ne-Yo's forthcoming studio album, Year of the Gentleman, are reviewed. Of the song "Nobody," Ne-Yo explained: "Every album, I do at least one song paying homage to [Michael Jackson]. This year I actually got to meet him--I'm working on his new album--so it was really important to do a good one this time!" In what the review calls a "spot-on Michael Jackson falsetto," Ne-Yo does a solo about a "sexy lady" with "tight guitar rhythms" as the melody. Ne-Yo has stated in numerous interviews that he has submitted music for consideration on Michael Jackson's upcoming album, but that he does not know when Michael Jackson's album will drop.

http://mjjr.net/news.php

Last edited:
as far as i know janet is only preparing her tour atm

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I do wonder how true this is though ... since like some of you have already pointed out, Janet just released an album ...

Ne-Yo, real name Shaffer Smith, reveals working with the Thriller hitmaker is one of his most challenging jobs yet.

He says, "I'm submitting songs for his new album. He's being very selective; very picky, but he's supposed to be. This is a going to be a really important album."

Há! Yeah, you bet it should be challenging.
It's a whole new level, Ne-Yo! You're [trying to] working with the best! :)

Which goes to show you how long it is going to take by the time Michael's album gets released…

Noooo! Please no! :no:
Mike, have mercy on your fans! :angel:

More about Ne-yo:

Ne-Yo's Forthcoming Song, "Nobody" Pays Homage to Michael Jackson
In the May 30th issue of Entertainment Weekly, several of the tracks from Ne-Yo's forthcoming studio album, Year of the Gentleman, are reviewed. Of the song "Nobody," Ne-Yo explained: "Every album, I do at least one song paying homage to [Michael Jackson]. This year I actually got to meet him--I'm working on his new album--so it was really important to do a good one this time!" In what the review calls a "spot-on Michael Jackson falsetto," Ne-Yo does a solo about a "sexy lady" with "tight guitar rhythms" as the melody. Ne-Yo has stated in numerous interviews that he has submitted music for consideration on Michael Jackson's upcoming album, but that he does not know when Michael Jackson's album will drop.

http://mjjr.net/news.php
Spot-on? Um, no. :no:

But really nice vocals nonetheless. :yes:

I definitely like this track. Yup. Thumbs up; well done Ne-Yo :clapping:

I'm glad MJ has deemed Ne-Yo worthy of collaboration; I concur. :yes:

Last edited:
thanks for todays news..

I think Neyo needs to be a bit patient.. he'll probably be next.. MJ spent a lot of time with will.i.am, now it's AKon, next he'll be bringing in Neyo..

or MJ just does not think he can do the job lol!

thanks for todays news..

I think Neyo needs to be a bit patient.. he'll probably be next.. MJ spent a lot of time with will.i.am, now it's AKon, next he'll be bringing in Neyo..

or MJ just does not think he can do the job lol!

I'd only like to see where there will be any space left for another brilliant composer: Michael Jackson.
He's working with too many known artists and that's ok with me. Just as long as it doesn't compromise the real talent to show up. His. :)

I'm hoping that Michael is mainly just experimenting with these guys and maybe using them as producers, but writing the majority of the material on his own. They aren't anywhere near his league when it comes to song writing, or producing. But I hope he just keep their role limited and does most of the writing and composing himself, which he said he was doing.

I'm hoping that Michael is mainly just experimenting with these guys and maybe using them as producers, but writing the majority of the material on his own. They aren't anywhere near his league when it comes to song writing, or producing. But I hope he just keep their role limited and does most of the writing and composing himself, which he said he was doing.

Yes, that's what I'm hoping too. :yes:

I'm not getting all his working with these people anyway.
I'm not trying to bash or anything. I respect those artists as they are and all, but it's totally clear that MJ really is way out of their league. A whole different level.
It somehow feels to me like he is kinda teaching them how to do a brilliant album. :lol: Almost like an internship... Does it make sense? :lol:

Last edited:
I really don't worry about collabs with will.i.am,akon, and neyo because what I find lacking in there music MJ has always done..

SO................

the areas that always bother me about most of todays artists, will be filled in correcty by MJ's creativity and musical understanding..

so all in all, it will sound great.. They wont hold him back, he will raise them up to a level that we will like..

I think Michael want's them to help bring in a younger audience. He doesn't need them, but he want's them for that purpose I think. I'm not worried. Michael can make the worst songs sound fantastic just based off of his vocal ability alone. And he won't accept anything that's not up to par anyway.

that's how I see it too wannabe

before anyone hears it.. what insentive would the younger generation have to go buy the music?? If all they heard was CRAP about Michael, there is very little reason to buy his music..

They will hear that there favorite artist (akon, will.i.am, Neyo) are working with MJ, it will get there interest..

Then it will pull good PR from that too.. they get asked 'how is it working for Michael'... And there fans hear positive..

it's not that MJ needs there help.. it's simply a way for ppl that don't know to have that insentive to find out...

U think Michael NEEDED everyone he added?? U know many of his songs would have sounded just as good without the 'NAMES' he brought in.. From 'Boys II men' to 'BIggy Smalls'.. it just creates interest and talk.. Instead of boys II men he could have gotten a couple of 'nobodies' and called it a day..

Michael does the same thing for others sometimes, writes music and puts a little vocal in there to help promote it..

Sometimes it's good to get the popular names to people to take time to hear it, then the music will sell itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the news. I love the title of Ne-Yo's album, but don't think I've heard that song. Hmm.. *goes to youtube*

Thanks for the news.

Let's be real - MJ is not going to do a whole CD by himself. It is not going to happen. MJ likes to work with other people and you are just gonna have to accept that. All of this noise about MJ needs to composed the CD himself is really not going to make a difference. It is not going to make the CD finish faster, is not going to make anything different. I like it when others work with MJ. MJ learns from others and he can teach others, esp. the younger performers and thing or two. He is giving back.. If some of you people do not like it, then do not buy his music.

As for this nonsense of young people are not into him because of the crap about him - let's give some young people credit here. They are familiar with his work. They know who he is and the CD is not marketed to a younbger crowd, it is marketed to anyone that is a fan or anyone in the public that wants to buy his music. Young people will still buy the music that they can relate to buts ome might buy MJ's new cd.

Some people on here really need to stop beliving the negative hype of have faith in what MJ is doing. MJ has NOTHING TO PROVE. His impact and influence is everywhere. That is far than enough. I think the fans needs to be happy that people are still giving a damn about him and his impact instead of erasing him off the radar.

From KOP Board user 'future' "
Simon Cowell was just on the Steve Wright show on BBC Radio 2.

He says every year they ask him to perform and his people agree, but he never performs. They keep asking in the hope that one day he will surprise them and perform. He says the story of stage fright is not true. "

Back