3 July 2008 ~~From BILLBOARD: HMH to be on both Akon and MJ's Albums

mello1

Proud Member
Hey folks. Let me first apologize for accidentally deleting today's News thread. A shout out to Rasta who started it and had it fixed up all so pretty. So sorry.

And sorry about all of the posts that was merged from EC's thread that were lost as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On to today's top news story, this one coming from Billboard Magazine itself:
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003824224

Michael Jackson Cameo Shocks Akon Songwriter
Akon

July 03, 2008 , 10:25 AM ET

Mariel Concepcion, N.Y.
Up-and-coming singer/songwriter Claude Kelly wrote the recently leaked Akon song "Hold My Hand" featuring Michael Jackson, but he confesses hearing the legendary singer's voice on the track the first time was a total surprise to him.

"I wrote the song and gave it to Akon with the intention of it going to maybe Whitney Houston, but Akon said he wanted to cut it himself. I thought, 'It doesn't get any bigger than this'," the 27-year-old New York native tells Billboard.com. "A few months after, Akon plays the song for me and all of a sudden I hear Michael Jackson's voice. I was literally shaking by the time the song was over."

The track, which is in contention to be the first single from Akon's new album, due late this year, has since been pulled off the Internet. As per when an actual Michael Jackson album will be released, Kelly says a date hasn't been set yet. What has been confirmed, as per Kelly's manager Michael "Make" Mentore from Star Power Media/Make Moves Management, is that the track will appear on both Akon and Jackson's albums.

Since penning the collaborative track, Kelly has been tapped to work not only with Akon and Whitney Houston but also with Jennifer Hudson, Frankie J, Brandy, New Kids On The Block, Toni Braxton, recent Def Jam signee Unique and Leona Lewis, including the latter's second single, "Forgive Me," which will be released in the coming weeks. He also wrote the entire debut solo album for Corbin Bleu from "High School Musical" fame.

As a child, Kelly took piano and flute lessons and sang with local choirs. He attended Brooklyn College of Music in 1999, and in 2002 wrote his first song, which was placed in a Bathing Ape compilation released in Japan. His first major placement came with "Daddy's Little Girl" from Frankie J's 2006 album "Priceless."

In the future, Kelly says he hopes to work with the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, Usher, Chris Brown and Kelly Clarkson, among others. He also plans on delving into country and rock music as well.

Today in
Michael Jackson History
2000 - Tina Turner announced her retirement at a concert in Switzerland. She said, "I can't keep up with Janet Jackson."

2002 - The movie "Men In Black II" opened in the U.S. Michael Jackson played a small role in the film.

2006 - In Los Angeles, Debbie Rowe, the former Mrs. Michael Jackson, filed a suit against Michael Jackson claiming that he had failed to pay her what he had promised when the two divorced in 1999.

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson Quote
[/SIZE]
Get me out
Into the night-time
Four walls won't hold me tonight
If this town
Is just an apple
Then let me take a bite
- Michael Jackson, Human Nature

Re: 3 July 2008 ~~From BILLBOARD: HRM to be on both Akon and MJ's Albums

A shout out to Rebirth, who posted this in the HMH thread. I was attempting to move this into the news thread when I mistakenly deleted it:

Urban Review: Akon Featuring Michael Jackson - Hold My Hand

Hold Tight! Here Is The Rumoured New Single From Akon Or Michael Jackson. Hold My Hand Is A Slow Jam Of Epic, Cheesy Proportions.

How many hundreds of artists over the last 12 months have uttered the words "I'm Working On The New Michael Jackson Record"? Well Akon is one producer who has officially done so & by the sound of this record, MJ might, just might, have rekindled that old magic.

From the solid R&B production, to the brilliantly harmonised vocals of both Akon & Michael, Hold My Hand has that classic Jackson sound. Granted, it is not the greatest track I have ever heard, but I am honestly excited for the Michael comeback.

http://www.urbanreview.co.uk/2008/07/akon-michael-jackson-hold-my-hand.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concreteloop Review: Hold My Hand - Akon feat. Michael Jackson

Wow! We heard that Akon was producing a bit on Michael Jackson’s new album, but it seems as though he is on the debut single for Akon’s new album, Acquitted. I’m sorry, this is craziness, hearing Michael Jackson’s voice on some new music! I’m not an Akon fan, but this could very well make me one. Their voices harmonize very well together - this single is going to be really huge for Akon, and if this is any prelude to what Michael’s material is going to sound like, MJ fans are in for a treat.

http://concreteloop.com/2008/07/the-new-music-review-203

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junlees-Cona Review: Hold My Hand - Akon feat. Michael Jackson

After years of doubting if I would hear MJ on a track again, I heard this song today. The good part is that it's a good song, and I love MJ's verse at the beginning. Dude can still sing!

The bad part is that it's an Akon song, and the track dropped a level once he started singing. Dammit I wish this was just Mike's song, he sounded so good at the beginning. The background vocals that Mike does at the end is just great, and it sounds good with Akon.

With more listens I'm starting to love this song, and it's so nice to hear Mike on some new shit!

http://junlees-cona.blogspot.com/2008/06/exclusive-akon-ft-michael-jackson-hold.html

Shout out to 'I Am The Incredible Hulk' for discovering that Mediabase has added a radio play tracker for the song. We will have a charts thread once the song has been officially released for radio airplay:

"Hold My Hand" is now listed in MEDIABASE. Interestingly, the song is registered as Michael Jackson featuring Akon.

Here's the link:

http://www.mmr247.com/mmrweb/Reports...0654&NumDays=7

At the time of posting, the song has been played 8 times on the POP format.

Here I was thiking I was going cukoo :crazy: lol
Thanks for clearing it up Mello

Shout out to Rebirth for adding more reactions to HMH:

Comments regarding to Hold My Hand on http://www.thecelebritytruth.com.

• Damn. I guess MJ still got it! Very nice track!
  • Excellent I cant wait for both of their albums these guys rock but MJ is the best
  • Beautiful song! Beautiful words! I love to hear Michael’s voice again! Great job! All my best Michael Jackson!
  • Very, wonderful, but I beg for Michael’s drum bit. Perhaps on the remix version. The song is wonderful.
  • love it! if released as a single i’d be very suprised if it dont make no. 1. Always knew mj would be back. class!
  • great song.. theres no MJ will not dominate again!
  • STILL the King of Pop!!!
  • The hype this one song has caused is amazing. Its not even MJ’s song, its Akons, but MJ’s vocals are truely amazing
  • wow! they are really teasing with the mj content i want more michael! what im hearing is good
  • WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
  • I’ve got goosbumps all over!
  • Just amazing! i love the song, better be released as a single it’s perfect!
  • I love it love it love it love it!!!! : )
    soo cant wait for all his new material
    King Of MUSIC is comin to surprise us all
  • Michael is one of the greatest entertainer on this planet. I hope that he is back on top where he belongs along with Whitney Houston when she drops her new cd.. Both need to back where they belong #1
  • a wonderful song that is again proved he can comeback, still has the voice, the tone and once again there finally a song with meaning
  • He is called the King for a reason and I think newbies can now know why! Long Live the True King of Music! Good work Akon.
http://www.thecelebritytruth.com/new-michael-jackson-and-akon-track-leaks/003674

Man, I'm reading all of those positive comments and it's just so overwhelming. I couldn't be happier, those vibes are wonderful for the soul. I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Man, its so good to be reading all these comments about the song and to think some of these comments are coming from people who are not necessarily MJ fans!:yes: For the past few days I have been having this feeling of excitement that I have'nt in years.

The news that this maybe on both their albums is great news, I just sincerely hope this song sees its way through unto the charts 'cause it has the potentially to be a #1 smash hit!

MJ mentioning

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/music/bal-li.popcol03jul03,0,1864097.column
Baltimore Sun

Frollicking tunes for July Fourth barbecue

Rashod D. Ollison | Music Notes
July 3, 2008

For a fun, soulful outdoor barbecue, there are several things you must have. Of course, there's the food: potato salad, baked beans, ribs. (And whoever is manning the grill better know what he's doing.) You must have beer and liquor for the adults, Kool-Aid or Capri Sun pouches for the kids. But if you want to keep the barbecue from sinking into lame territory, you must also have music - plenty of good, upbeat jams.

As friends and I prepare to get together for the Fourth of July, we delegate different duties. Besides doing some cooking, I'm in charge of the music. Here are highlights from my playlist, one that I hope will appease the progressive urbanites, old heads and gutta folks who are sure to show up.

Erykah Badu, "Honey": The bonus track on her latest album, the superb New Amerykah, Pt. 1: 4th World War, this feel-good jam is ideal for a laid-back summer afternoon. The rubbery groove - borrowed from "I'm in Love," an obscure 1978 Nancy Wilson track - is perfect for nondancers like yours truly. I can do my lazy two-step move, drink in hand, and not look ridiculous.

Zapp, "More Bounce to the Ounce": This flowing funk monster, a heavy influence on Dr. Dre's gangsta rap productions of the '90s, was inescapable during the summer of 1980. Twenty-eight years later, it is still a sure party starter that hasn't aged a bit. Even Roger Troutman's vocoder usage still sounds strangely innovative. It is downright impossible to sit still during this cut. You tap your feet, you nod your head. Something moves.

Madonna, "Borderline": So we go from heavy electro-funk to fluffy '80s pop. Why not? This is, hands down, my favorite song by the chameleonic superstar. Forget Hard Candy, her overly calculated, icily detached new album. I prefer the young, hungry Madonna, whose powerless, hopelessly thin vocals managed to sound somewhat soulful on this cut. The production was overseen by Reggie Lucas who, with James Mtume, had crafted a similar sound for Stephanie Mills earlier in the decade. This song is so 1984, but it's still a nice trip.

Usher, "This Ain't Sex": This is a standout on the R&B superstar's new album, the overlong and uneven Here I Stand. The ghost of the glorious '80s Michael Jackson has long loomed over Usher's career. And on this track, he almost pulls off the pop legend's effervescent sound circa Off the Wall. But no matter how hard he tries, Usher will never be the marvelously nuanced soul singer Jackson was in his heyday.

Michael Jackson, "Get on the Floor": Well, since we're talking about the King of Pop, I may as well throw in one of his songs. But let's forgo the classic hits and pick an album cut from 1979's Off the Wall, a much better dance record than 1982's celebrated Thriller. "Get on the Floor" is propulsive and utterly joyful. Midway through the song, slightly off mic, you can hear a giddy Jackson laugh. This is probably one of his most overlooked tracks from the era.

Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock, "It Takes Two": We must have hip-hop somewhere in the mix. But I figure I should go with a timeless cut, and rap doesn't get as transcendent as this platinum-selling 1988 smash. This track greatly expanded the possibilities of sampling in hip-hop. Built on the 1972 Lyn Collins' classic "Think (About It)," the rap completely reconstructs elements of the song (the bass line, the female vocal) and turns it into something sonically fresh and hard-hitting. You add Base's insistent, endless rhyming to it and - shazam! - you have classic hip-hop. Ah, the good old days before so much of mainstream rap became one depressing minstrel show.

Al Green, "Love and Happiness": This 1972 evergreen is sure to solicit shouts after the twangy opening guitar riff. And as soon as the beat kicks in, you better believe everybody will be up and grooving and singing along. This is my family's all-time favorite cut to play at gatherings. It was during this song that my grandmother Mama Teacake (may she rest in peace) used to show us grandkids how to do her "famous belly roll." As she got down, rolling her hips and snapping her fingers, we all shook our heads in shame.

ZZ Hill, "Cheatin' in the Next Room": My East Coast friends know nothing about this silken blues ballad. But for those of us raised in black neighborhoods in the deep South during the 1980s, this cut was widely played on adult stations and in corner juke joints. It's taken from Hill's 1982 masterpiece Down Home Blues. The LP, long available on CD, is one of the biggest sellers for Malaco, the Mississippi-based indie label. This is one of the last songs played at the barbecue, after the sun melts away and everyone's full. Somebody opens a bottle of good cognac, and the adults kick back, eyes closed and heads nodding to this mellow tale of love gone bad.

rashod.ollison@baltsun.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont think i like the idea of it being on mj's album, unless there's a different version with more mj singing....

Last edited:
bit if gossip but intresting anyway as its the same guy who opened the resort in the bahammas (sp) and mj attended that around 98-99 approx

With Dubai’s eagerly awaited Atlantis hotel opening in September, 7DAYS took an exclusive tour of the resort and water park. Paul McLennan reports

New hotels seem to spring up all the time across Dubai - so will the Atlantis really be any different than the rest? So far the resort - officially called Atlantis, The Palm - has been hidden away at the end of the Palm Jumeirah while its construction takes place. What it has to offer has, therefore, become somewhat of a secret. People have been left to wonder what surprises the hotel will have in store - not unlike Charlie, who craved to see inside the chocolate factory.

However, instead of Willy Wonka, Umpa Lumpas and chocolate rivers - picture a 1,539-room hotel, a water park with 18 million litres of water, as well as three dolphin lagoons, and you are somewhere close to guessing what makes up the $1.5 billion resort created by Kerzner International.

The jewel in the crown for the Atlantis has to be Aquaventure, which will be the largest water-themed attraction in Dubai. Fresh water is used to power seven slides, a 2.3-kilometre river ride with tidal waves almost two metres high, pools and water rapids. At the heart of Aquaventure is The Ziggurat which, looking like an Incan temple, reaches 30 metres into the sky and has seven heart-pumping water slides.

The Leap of Faith is certainly not one for the faint hearted. At 27.5 metres tall, it is a near-vertical drop, which falls through a clear tunnel submerged in a shark-filled lagoon. It is said to be the fastest free-fall slide in the Middle East, dropping more than nine storeys in an instant. And the record time from top to bottom is just five seconds.

There are also inner-tube slides, water rides and beaches on a gentler scale for families and children. Day passes cost dhs220, while hotel guests have free access. “In designing Aquaventure, we challenged the best designers, creative minds and water ride technologists to work with us to take the water experience to a different level,” said Alan Leibman, managing director of Kerzner International.

Atlantis also features The Ambassador Lagoon, featuring several hundred species of marine life, and The Lost Chambers - a maze of underground tunnels offering underwater views into the boulevards of the mystical ruins of Atlantis. The hotel itself, which sits in the middle of the 46-hectare site, includes boutiques, a nightclub, four celebrity chef restaurants, a fitness club and function halls.

Guest rooms in the Atlantis’ Royal Towers Accommodation start at around dhs1,670 per night. But if you want to pay top whack you’d best start saving as the Bridge Suite - with its private lift - sits proudly at the top of the hotel and comes with a whopping dhs91,800 per night price tag.
Atlantis, The Palm will open on September 24, with an official grand opening planned for later in the year.

Michael Jackson and Madonna have both been rumoured to perform and 7DAYS was told to “expect something phenomenal - with celebrities”. Sol Kerzner, executive chairman of Kerzner International, said: “Out of a vision that married the wonders of marine life with stunning elegance and sweeping views of the Arabian Gulf alongside the most exciting water playground in this part of the world, we have developed an experience within Atlantis that is truly different than the existing pleasures of Dubai.”

Atlantis, The Palm also features ‘Dolphin Bay’ - a 4.5-hectare lagoon where visitors can get up close and personal with around 28 of the mammals. As reported in 7DAYS, environmentalists have expressed concern that the dolphins should not have been taken out of their natural habitat in the Solomon Islands to be used in Dubai.

But staff at Dolphin Bay maintain the mammals are well looked after by experts, three on-call vets and 24-hour surveillance. With its own laboratory, Dolphin Bay will serve as the first marine mammal rescue centre in Dubai for marine mammals that get stranded in the Gulf.

HOORAY FOR GET ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Such an underrated DISCO ANTHEM!

Last edited:
MJ mentioning

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/452707
Designer bags have unglamorous past
Artist reclaims vinyl from old billboards
Jul 03, 2008 04:30 AM
Erin Kobayashi

Mike Jackson found inspiration for Thriller in the deconstruction of a massive billboard.

"I own a shop in Vancouver called Thriller ... yes, Michael Jackson and Thriller," says the clothing designer and artist. "We sell streetwear, skateboard and snowboard type goodies."

The billboard's ad was not, however, what moved Jackson when the image was stripped away two years ago. Instead, it was the material that captivated him.

"The billboards are waterproof, the colours are fade resistant, they can endure harsh conditions. It just seemed like the perfect fabric to work with," Jackson says.

Thanks very much for todays news and very positive reviews.

I don't understand why everyone 'hates' on Akon. I may not be the greatest fan of his either - as by most of the comments here - many of you aren't either but the facts are whether we - as fans - want to admit or not - MJ has lost a lot of his "appeal" to the public.

I - personally - appreciate what Akon has done to help Michael return to the music industry. I think MJ displays a new, more mature sound on HMH. You don't hear many of the ticks, and grunts, shouts as per his old music.

I think Akon has done a great job helping Michael return to the music scene and I think it is a shame that many of you "knock" Akon and selfishly would rather Akon not be on the track at all.

Keep in mind - if it were not for Akon right now - we'd be forced to view another round of RE-hashed box sets of old classic songs that we already have anyway.

I don't understand why everyone 'hates' on Akon. I may not be the greatest fan of his either - as by most of the comments here - many of you aren't either but the facts are whether we - as fans - want to admit or not - MJ has lost a lot of his "appeal" to the public.

I - personally - appreciate what Akon has done to help Michael return to the music industry. I think MJ displays a new, more mature sound on HMH. You don't hear many of the ticks, and grunts, shouts as per his old music.

I think Akon has done a great job helping Michael return to the music scene and I think it is a shame that many of you "knock" Akon and selfishly would rather Akon not be on the track at all.

Keep in mind - if it were not for Akon right now - we'd be forced to view another round of RE-hashed box sets of old classic songs that we already have anyway.
Actually those comments came from other boards and blogs...

And we don't allow Akon or any other artist to be attacked on MJJC.

I honestly think they are just feeding us will fake info.. I mean from the article about Akons album.. Saying it is untitled... YES IT IS.. Saying it is not finished.. YES IT HAS BEEN.. Now to whatever.. I think they are just circulating the talk about the song to get it hyped..

Mike would not put a song on his album that is going to be on someone elses.. MAYBE as a bonus track (if anything) on a special edition version.

I honestly think they are just feeding us will fake info.. I mean from the article about Akons album.. Saying it is untitled... YES IT IS.. Saying it is not finished.. YES IT HAS BEEN.. Now to whatever.. I think they are just circulating the talk about the song to get it hyped..

Mike would not put a song on his album that is going to be on someone elses.. MAYBE as a bonus track (if anything) on a special edition version.
That was MTV's crap. I wish I never posted that... I didn't get good vibs from it when I first read it.

From what I've seen, no one's been "knocking" Akon. Shoot, even I said he sounded good on this track, and that's big coming from me. But if people feel the track would be better if Michael had sung the entire thing himself, then they're welcome to that opinion. I share it. But at the same time, I don't mind Akon on there at all.

Michael's vocal hiccups and grunts are not inmature either. In fact, if one actually stops to think about the timing and control involved in incorporating those in to your singing, then you would be in awe of it rather then label it as inmature. And from the reaction this song has been getting, I think the public, fans and non-fans alike are very much clamoring to hear new material from Michael, with or without Akon.

Last edited:
well, if I were in AKons shoes.. I honestly would take the leak to my advantage..

* clean it up away from every online source.. (as they are)

But at the same time, start a HUGE sturr. Have his people talk about it through various mentionings. etc..

U know that song being leaked was a drip of what's coming.. So take that drip and sturr it in a bowl of hype..

I have to repeat that practice of putting the same song on two albums by different artists, even in various versions, is rare and questionable.

That is why, despite reports, "HMH" song will be, most probably, on one album and it will be Akon's.

"Junlees-Cona Review: Hold My Hand - Akon feat. Michael Jackson

After years of doubting if I would hear MJ on a track again, I heard this song today. The good part is that it's a good song, and I love MJ's verse at the beginning. Dude can still sing!

The bad part is that it's an Akon song, and the track dropped a level once he started singing. Dammit I wish this was just Mike's song, he sounded so good at the beginning. The background vocals that Mike does at the end is just great, and it sounds good with Akon.

With more listens I'm starting to love this song, and it's so nice to hear Mike on some new shit!"

I wasn't attacking Akon - I was more or less defending him as he has been one of Jacksons most staunch supporters after MJ's acquittal.

The above piece of information was displayed on this particular topic - so I believe it is very pertinent to be discussed.

I still believe the question begs - why do the vast majority of MJ fans believe this song would be better if Akon were not present on it? Again - would we be even having a discussion of NEW MJ music if it were not for quality musicians/producers such as Akon? Will i am?

Can beggers be choosers?

If Michael chooses to appear at the party, it would just be cherry on top of a wonderful week.

It would only feed the buzz!

ya the bickering about the song is foolish...

Why point out the obvious that it would be better with ONLY Michael.. Well it's not a Michael song. MOST songs would sound better with Michael in it. so.. That gets us no where..

I think some of us are being selfish and when Akon gets Mike to do something for his album, we're like no I don't like the sound.. Well it's an AKON song, an Akon sound.. If you don't like either, than of course no1 expects u to like the song JUST because he got Mike to go on it.. It makes it better though... MUCH better.

What would you rather have right now while waiting for Mikes album.. NO Michael at all, or a little sample of MJ on an Akon song... I personally want to hear Michael so I am set... This should hold me over for a while..

MICHAELS songs will sound better.. Michael ft. Akon would sound MUCH different than Akon ft. Michael.. It was not written by or for Michael.. As MJ's songs ARE.

it's an Akon tune. without Akon, the track wouldn't have been made. and without Akon, Mike wouldn't chant the way he did
f_biggrin.gif

like some have already said, their vocals interweave real nicely together.

KOPV -

It is so refreshing to see that there are some "level headed" Michael Jackson fans out there and that they are not all selfish and opposed to understanding that the musical industry does not revolve around Jackson any longer. Jackson may have a strong influence but he doesn't dominate the industry anymore and therefore does need help from younger, talented, more involved producers such as Will i am and Akon just to name a few.

I don't like Akon much either - but geesh - it is his song and we should be greatful that he CHOOSE to have Michael Jackson on it at all. We should be happy with the decision and stop immediately wanting to remove Akons vocals from the song and dictating how the song is ONLY amazing in regards to the "Michael Jackson" effect.

Back