60 Minutes poll: MJ is the second artist that most Americans would like to see in concert.

MJStorm

Proud Member
(Reuters) - The Beatles rank as the No. 1 defunct act Americans would most like to see in concert, according to survey results released on Monday.

[highlight]The late Michael Jackson ranked second[/highlight], followed by Frank Sinatra and Mozart, said the poll of Americans' attitudes and interests conducted for Vanity Fair and CBS Television's "60 Minutes."

The Beatles topped those polled with 22 percent, [highlight]Jackson scored 20 percent[/highlight], Sinatra got 18 percent and Mozart got 14 percent.

A quarter of the people polled said they think their life is interesting enough to be given a reality show, while three-quarters of respondents did not think so.

Asked who they would like to raise their children if something were to happen to them, 44 percent chose "some nice couple from Iowa" over various actor and celebrity couples.

One-quarter chose Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, 7 percent chose Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi, 6 percent chose Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and 3 percent chose Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes.

Driving slowly in the fast lane was the behavior 33 percent said they find most annoying, followed by cell phone conversations in restaurants and spitting in public.

Also, 71 percent said they express the sentiment of the season by saying "Merry Christmas," while 23 percent say "Happy Holidays" and 4 percent say "Bah! Humbug!," said the poll that can be found on www.60Minutes.com and www.VF.com. It will be in the January issue of Vanity Fair, on newsstands December 2.

Google and Yahoo were cited as the organizations people worry most about having their personal information. While 33 percent listed the online sites, 14 percent said they were more concerned about the U.S. government having information and 13 percent cited banks and credit agencies.

But another 33 percent said they "don't worry much about" who has their personal information.

Asked what U.S. landmark they would most like to see sold to a foreign country, 26 percent said the Hollywood sign, 18 percent said Elvis Presley's Graceland, 14 percent said Washington, D.C. and 12 percent said Disney World.

The poll was conducted by telephone by the CBS News Election and Survey Unit among a random sample of 1,137 adults nationwide from November 7 to November 10. The telephone numbers included both land-line and cellular phones. The margin of error was plus or minus 4 percentage points.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AS47X20101129

Good to know :) I already expected the Beatles to be first lol. But I'm surprised to see Sinatra and Mozart ahead of Elvis though.

Close numbers. I wonder what the outcome would be if who people wanted to see the most around the world. Not just in the US.

I still can't see why Americans are so obsessed with The Beatles. I know they are legends but still...

The Beatles? Are you kidding me? Compared to Michael Jackson they would be boring to see in concert cause all they would do is just stand there and play they're instruments. With a Michael Jackson concert you would be getting a show.

I find it ammusing how people will pick a very boring band over the greatest entertainer of all time.

I don't hate The Beatles but i do find them boring

Not everybody thinks show, with fierworks and specials effects is what makes good music experience. sometimes only a band with bass, gutiar and drums can make bigger experiance than any big budget show. thats what grate music are all about. not the effects

whoa. ok i get that the beatles are legends. but when it comes to live shows???? i would of thought the maximum u could get out of a beatles concert is that they sound better than they do on cd..
but with mj its a completely diff experience to listening to the cd or even watching the dvd's. its another level of entertainment.
EVERY SINGLE SENSE WOULD BE IN ABSOLUTE BLISS (ok..mayb not taste, smell or touch but u know what i mean)
:)

"The Late" before his name Michael Jackson gets me every time too however it's better than them saying "The self proclaimed" King Of Pop.

So now he comes second? It seems America forgot that they voted him the 'DUMBEST American' just not long before he passed. And seriously, do not expect Michael to come before Beatles, they are the media's babies, and people run after the media. There is more to it, but I will not say it here. Do not want to be banned.

Hmm 22% to 20% is not a huge gap guys. Plus, you have to consider all the bad press Michael recived over the years (most notably post Thriller) that would without a doubt affect people's perception of him. That is though they may find Michael to be a consumate performer they may be on principle against picking one of his concerts given the allegations. Yes, I do think people are petty enought to not objectively view his on stage artistry.

Personally I think its much too close to Michael's passing for the public, and indeed history, to accurately reflect where Michael's place will be. His Legacy is still growing and being established. hence why its so important we keep supporting him.

I'd without a doubt wuold choose Michael, but i might be slightly biased. :)

Last edited:
I'm not. Elvis is overrated.

True, but the American media has made a great effort to support Elvis' legacy, more than any other artist I can think of. Before Michael died, no one would frown when a newspaper proclaimed Elvis "the best entertainer of all time" and there was pretty much a consensus (or so it seemed) that Elvis was bigger than any other celebrity including Michael Jackson. Now people seem to be a bit more critical. But still I'm surprised to see people like Sinatra and Mozart ahead of him.

As for The Beatles, their music is not my style at all but apparently, a lot of people love them and I have to respect that. What they accomplished is amazing and they're still breaking records to this day. I can only hope Michael's legacy for future generations will be as great as theirs :)

I still can't see why Americans are so obsessed with The Beatles. I know they are legends but still...
If The Beatles were not as popular as they have been all this time, there would not have been much of a reason for Mike to purchase the Lennon/McCartney catalogue. The fabs make money.

So now he comes second? It seems America forgot that they voted him the 'DUMBEST American' just not long before he passed. And seriously, do not expect Michael to come before Beatles, they are the media's babies, and people run after the media. There is more to it, but I will not say it here. Do not want to be banned.

I'm also a beatles fan but you're sooo right :D

It's true that Mike probably got the worst press. And remember, he's the black guy who
bought the Beatles and married Elvis' daughter. (if that ain't literally sticking it to the man)
(I love that phrase :lol:)
http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur24224.cfm

why so much disrespect?..
wow...everything is disrespectful for you... God bless you...you need it...

There are more important causes outside, in the world, you know??, people dying, children starving to death, know that??? there's more outside than my little comment on this very serious Beatles subject....
why dont you use your time on that...

but, of course do what you want.... bye...

its all the SAME, these polls, hahah got to laugh at them ;D :yes:

Peace and L.O.V.E

we need it.

Yeah I agree,I can't understand The Beatles success.I tried to get into their music but it's just not happening for me.Like their song "Come Together" sounds boring but when MJ did his version it sounds a whole lot better.

I saw MJ in concert (HIStory '96) and it was very exciting to see him perform. We were close to the front so got a great view of the action but in these big stadiums a large chunk of people can't see the stage, they settle for just loving the music. For the poster who queried The Beatles just standing there and singing making it to #1, well primarily people go to concerts to hear music! I remember seeing UB40 and they just stood there too, but the music was incredible, the sound of that brass section is still a memory that thrills. But I am surprised The Beatles pipped MJ at the post, but I think MJ would have made it #1 in a worldwide poll.

Don't forget the demographic composition of the people who did the poll, example, the age group. The majority might be middle-age+, white, male, come from specific parts of the US, and be more familiar with the Beatles' excitement of the 60s/70s.

Considering how Americans generally felt about MJ prior to his death that's pretty good. He actually made it before Elvis, Sinatra, and Mozart. Personally, I would rather see Mozart any day over the Beatles though.

Sorry but I do not think this poll included blacks, young people, latinos, etc. If so, MJ would have been number one along with the people who were asked.

Love this thread,thoughtful posts. 60 mins skews to an older audience, the baby boomers, who are in charge and totally in love with the beatles. No matter the baby boomers reign is rapidly coming to an end. Surprised MJ ranked this high with years of bad press and maureen orth's vanity fair envolved.

Forgot which popular, relevant music artist said, "the beatles are over rated, elevator music."

Back