A Media Writer's Take On LN Fiasco + What Next?

MJLife

Proud Member
Hey MJ Fam!

Longtime fan here and former member (just can't remember old login lol).

In any case, testing times has brought me back. Obviously not the best of circumstances. But taking solace in us weathering this storm together.

Just wanted to share a few observations:

As someone who has worked closely in media, I'm not at all surprised at how some outlets are approaching this. The salacious will always be more attractive than the truth. Whether that be clicks for a website or selling of newspapers. That agenda will always take top billing, regardless of whether the outlet even believes what they're propagating. Morally astounding as that is, it's just the way it is. And I've pretty much made peace with it, sadly.

From that lens though, the broadcast was always going to be a sh*tstorm. It's clear HBO have timed it in such a way to maximize press coverage in US and then the wave carries to UK where it airs slightly later in the week. And I really think this was deliberate. They could have aired it same/similar day everywhere, but it extends the "cancel MJ" narrative into a full week of mayhem.

Or so they thought.

I don't know, and I know we're not out of the woods just yet, but yesterday's broadcast honestly "feels" much more muted than they anticipated. Definitely no R. Kelly for sure. Sure, it trended. But a lot of "woke" folk are calling out the BS. I also noted next to no dialogue about it on my Instagram or Facebook feed, and where present was actually slamming it (and no, not even ardent MJ fans either). It's worth mentioning that my sample size is of course limited to my social and pop cultural make-up, which I can best summarize as being "black Twitter". Noteworthy because (and forgive the essay)...

"Black Twitter" effectively control the Pop cultural "cool" + conversation and thus the broader narrative. Not even to play the race game per se, but we needn't look further than the major pivot in the Jordyn Woods/Kardashian's scandal, the mass cancellation of R. Kelly, the #JanetJacksonAppreciationDay pivot during Justin's Halftime, and more broadly the hyper-spotlight now on the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

The importance of that here, IMO, is that they are largely Team MJ. Something we saw pre, during, and post the 2005 trial. I've seen many poke holes in Wade and co's case, stress the lack of empirical evidence, and generally subscribe to the mentality of "let Michael rest".

So hopefully that wave of consciousness carries. On top of that, I'm personally noticing a lot of the Urban outlets taking a similar stance (for example, Complex and a lot of the Black blogs). Note also how most celebs have been radio silent on the matter too?

There's still concern about some of the mainstream sites. For instance Variety, Deadline, and Billboard. All of whom seem keen to milk it. Pay attention to their wording. They are pushing a lot of the accusations as semi-veiled fact and when reporting on the Estate's efforts are using terms like "scrambling" etc. It's subtle but persuasive bias. They just shared a story about LN "going global" and being sold to worldwide 130 markets. They are actively promoting its diffusion. Notably all of those sites are owned by the same parent company. So it could very well come from the top. Again, all for clicks and views.

Moving forward, I'm really intrigued about a few things. The first, of course, being where the public opinion will eventually land (though, at worst, it feels like it'll be split rather than full-on anti-Michael). But mainly what the Estate's fight-back will be.

I know we can get frustrated with them, but the reality is that (putting all emotion about his legacy to one side) Michael is a billion dollar empire. One which pays the salaries, bonuses, and all in between of a lot of people (at his Estate and Sony). So I highly doubt there isn't a master plan. I guess I'm just anxious and kind of want to see it play out. Like mentioned above, they/we know the broadcast will be the worst part of this episode. After that, it has to be game time. They have to fight fire with fire. They have the means, both financially and in ways we probably couldn't comprehend. I get how it's a little tricky right now because of the climate we're in (#MeToo), so they can't be seen to outrightly incinerate Wade (as much as they're in their rights to) and have to make aspects of the fight look fan/grass-roots initiated. They also probably won't want to go too hard too soon because it may backfire and actually promote the doc the more. But whatever the plan, they need to go guns blazing at some point. And I hope/feel they wiill. They need to. For us, for them, for MJ.

Sorry for essay. Probably needed to get a lot of that off my chest and also hopefully share a little insights from my experience with the media.

Stay strong.

Thank you for sharing this, it was comforting to hear indeed. The worst for me will be when it airs in the UK.

That was a very interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for this. Needed it after just watching the doc. Smart essay!

I think people will get very bored of hearing about this film, very quickly. They can smear it out as much as they like, but other topics and controversies will be along very shortly, and the general audience will move on. Even Reed will have to start on new lines of work. I'd be surprised if AT&T/ new HBO management will want to spend any more money on 'MJ-related' films, especially if this one gets a mixed public reception. Even 100 journalists and celebs talking this up won't pay HBO's salaries beyond the very short term.

I'll be interested to know how many of the 130 territories will carry the sexually explicit content. Many countries won't like to broadcast that. (I'm thinking middle east, and possibly far east too). I have to say that that explicit content has made me feel repulsed by HBO and channel 4. I really don't want that kind of content in my living room, no matter who is the subject.

I wonder if Robson and Safechuck have signed long-term contracts with Reed, or if they can now go elsewhere for further financial opportunities. I have a horrible vision that 'OWN' will give them a late night 'child abuse support show', or similar.

I think people will get very bored of hearing about this film, very quickly. They can smear it out as much as they like, but other topics and controversies will be along very shortly, and the general audience will move on.

Totally!

We live in a weird weird time.

Something is a hyper hot topic for all of 5 minutes and then something else comes along and it's totally forgotten in a blink of an eye. Just look at the (deserved) furore surrounding R. Kelly, then Jussie Smollett. Successively huge stories but radio silence now until their next court dates. You'd be forgiven for thinking their scandals didn't even happen.

MJ seems in spotlight now, but a) not as intensely as those guys and b) in a weird way him not being here (frustrating as it is that he can't defend himself) kind of renders the story of the doc obsolete after this initial wave of airings. Like what more can be said after this?!

That's not to minimize the damaging nature of this, but the more I squint into the situation (in conjunction with the initial reaction to yesterday) the more I feel a little (just a little) at ease about where it'll ultimately end up. There's only so much dissection of the same old, same old that can be done. Both the accusations and the defence of. Another major story will takeover and people, like you said, will move on. Sure, it'll be with whatever stance they have, but they'll for sure move on.

The UK tabloids are merciless and isn't that the origin of the "***** *****" moniker? So wouldn't be surprised if actually catches on there more than anywhere.

But same applies IMO. People will move on.

I just want it to be next week already.

I do have to say that in the longer perspective I think the media is comitting suicide. I mean it might have worked in the passed but with the internet it is so much easier to check facts for yourself and if they keep going like that in the end nobody will beleive them anymore. I mean to cry fake news is perhaps a little overdramatic but not entierly untrue either.

A few random musings following last few days:

* Feeling a lot better. The doc is of course not a good look for MJ, but this could have been much bigger (and was anticipated to be), but it's fairly mute. The US ratings are a pitiful given the hype; and all that the entire fiasco has done (on a significant level) is energize both the supporters and haters.

* We've all wondered what the Estate's strategy is and many have bemoaned the seeming lack of one. But it feels like while a "wait and see" approach was employed by them, I also feel they've deliberately not gone guns blazing as it'd only bring more attention to the doc. Truly sinking the doc is to limit its reach, appeal, and commercial viability. Which leads me to...

* While LN should never be seen as positive, there is one somewhat positive take-away. It tanking actually limits the feasibility of another such doc. The public have proven that they're tired of the "MJ is bad" narrative. Even those that entertain it realize that there's an eternal brick wall in him having passed away. Innocent as WE know he is, for those who believe otherwise, there's actually no means of "justice" (as they see it) being carried out. Which just doesn't see there be a mental pay-off to still be so invested in being anti-MJ. In simplest terms, the media game is a money game and if "MJ is bad" as a sellable narrative can't command big ad bucks (because there's no guaranteed audience e.g. LN) then there could well be a "what's the point" approach from other networks moving forward.

* We're not out of the woods just yet, though. While the ratings were wack, certain sites and stations (Variety, Deadline, Billboard, CBS especially) are milking it because THEY are the ones most likely reaping the rewards of extra views and clicks. Media sensationalism will never go out of fashion. It's literally a science. So I guess we can expect to have to keep fighting back through this month and maybe even next as it rolls out internationally. Especially in the UK, as the press there have a penchant for doing the MOST when it comes to Michael and the doc airs there today and tomorrow.

Hoping there's more push back from Taj, Piers, whoever over next few days to combat that. As, with UK being one of the western world's strongest media markets, any blowback there could easily become US headline fodder (like the rumored radio bans). Not to minimize other regions, but I wouldn't be too alarmed by the "sold to 130 markets"thing if key media markets didn't give it the hype it wanted. There tends to be a domino effect with most things that happen in pop culture in the US and UK that sees the rest of the world follow suit. At least Pop culturally speaking.

* Lastly, unless there's a drastic change of energy, it feels like the worst may have passed us. And with R. Kelly (deservedly) back in the spotlight after his shocking interview and another scandal from some celeb undoubtedly around the corner (there always is!), hopefully the proverbial finish line of this nightmare is now in sight?

I have faith that the Estate know this too. The new Broadway show kicks off next year, so I'm sure they have a plan for now and more longterm so as for "this" to not even be a thing for their promo efforts come 2020. All emotion aside, MJ is a billion-dollar business and one that has to keep earning. So I'm trusting that it won't be allowed to wither, when the one thing that powers it is public embrace of the MJ brand. No matter how testing the climate.

Back