A silly GP question for British fans

jemini515

Proud Member
I've always thought that in British English the outerwear that we Americans refer to as "pants" are called trousers, yet I've never hear anyone refer to MJ's Gold Pants as gold trousers. Does anyone say this? And when Brits see "gold pants" does that evoke underwear to you, or do you have a dual meaning for the word pants?

Thanks for answering my silly question! :lol:

I go with 'gold pants' on forums cos that's what they are referred to by the fans of all countries. But yes, technically they are gold trousers :lol: I do have a quiet chuckle to myself though, Im sure michael had some gold pants under his gold trousers :lol:

I told my mum about the gold pants and she was like 'he wore underwear as a performance costume' :lol: had to correct myself.

For me the word 'pants' means y-front underwear and michaels golden costume :D

I go with 'gold pants' on forums cos that's what they are referred to by the fans of all countries. But yes, technically they are gold trousers :lol: I do have a quiet chuckle to myself though, Im sure michael had some gold pants under his gold trousers :lol:

I told my mum about the gold pants and she was like 'he wore underwear as a performance costume' :lol: had to correct myself.

For me the word 'pants' means y-front underwear and michaels golden costume :D

You said it all :) thats how it is for us brits :)

:hysterical:

wait, why were you talking to your mum about the gold pants?! :lmao:

Even though pants means underwear over here, it's common knowledge that Americans use the word pants for trousers....

I was telling her how I stuck my head between them at the exhibition :D

:hysterical:

To answer the original question. I'm English and I've never used the word trousers, I always say pants. So to me, pants doesn't mean underwear. I didn't think it mattered until I went to university and my flatmate made an issue out of it. :smilerolleyes:

Hey, where are the pictures to illustrate this thread? :scratch:

Oh.... here:

128938724535106822.jpg

-Gold-Pants-Dahoo-michael-jackson-8444835-444-603.jpg

Michael%20Jackson.png

............................ :wild: :wild: :wild:

:naughty:

:wub:

Couldn't? I beg to differ. :smilerolleyes: In fact I think Michael's the only one who could pull it off. That photo just proves it.

I'm not British, but I think "gold pants" has a better ring to it than "gold trousers" don't you think?

Couldn't? I beg to differ. :smilerolleyes: In fact I think Michael's the only one who could pull it off. That photo just proves it.

For me, it sounds like a metaphor. :scratch:But what really counts is the wonderful picture.... :wild:

With or without the gold pants, he will still be beautiful and wonderful. :wild: :wub: :heart: :naughty:

Back