Am I the only one annoyed at how neglected the '87 leg of the Bad Tour is?

BadTour87

Proud Member
Whenever anybody talks about the Bad World Tour they are 95% of the time referring to the '88-'89 leg (Europe, USA, etc.).

I hardly see anybody pay any attention to the '87 leg (Japan, Australia).

It's personally my favourite leg of the tour.

I mean, for pete's sake it has Shake Your Body in the set list!!

I think that's also because that leg was so short, only 19 shows compared to over a 100 on the second leg - so there's literally more to talk about :) But I definitely agree, the first leg is amazing, energy through the roof and his vocals are insane! Yokohama is perfect! I'd be very happy if more of that leg would be released one day, or good quality versions of what we already have.
I guess the '88 setlist was more 'appropriate' for a tour promoting the Bad album (lol), but I do love the earlier setlist as well. A combination of both (including TIDFY, SYB and LO, but also APOM, TWYMMF and MITM) would have been great..!

I think that's also because that leg was so short, only 19 shows compared to over a 100 on the second leg - so there's literally more to talk about :) But I definitely agree, the first leg is amazing, energy through the roof and his vocals are insane! Yokohama is perfect! I'd be very happy if more of that leg would be released one day, or good quality versions of what we already have.
I guess the '88 setlist was more 'appropriate' for a tour promoting the Bad album (lol), but I do love the earlier setlist as well. A combination of both (including TIDFY, SYB and LO, but also APOM, TWYMMF and MITM) would have been great..!

I personally like the first show of the tour, the September 12th one in Tokyo, Japan. That black shirt was badass!

And yeah, the set list is a bit lacking in songs from the associated album, but the audience didn't care at all! No matter what songs he sung he was praised!

And if it wasn't for the first leg's performance of This Place Hotel, there's a small chance we may have never gotten the iconic Smooth Criminal intro.

there are performances that first leg has that i very much enjoy.. i dont think it gets neglected... we need to remember a big reason why peoole are so pro 88-89 is because it was a long time before we got to see it.. 87 yokahama for example was aired years ago and was most peoples first bad tour they saw on tv/vhs.. 87 still feels new in comparison... anything with performances that are less seen will get extra interest.. not to mention specific moves michael more so perfected tgrough 87-88 that he did not do much (or at all) in the first leg..

I don't know if it is neglected. Yokohama'87 is one of my favourite concerts and I wouldn't mind it be released in high quality. I'd buy it even if it is on YouTube. That's how much I love it. And I agree, that performance of Shake Your Body is everything!

But I think because it is out there for a long time, people are more interested in '88-'89 shows that they haven't seen yet. Also the set list of the '87 is not so much "Bad" it is more Victory tour and there are lots of Jacksons songs instead of solo MJ, so I guess that's another reason why people are more interested in the '88-'89 shows.

I don't know if it is neglected. Yokohama'87 is one of my favourite concerts and I wouldn't mind it be released in high quality. I'd buy it even if it is on YouTube. That's how much I love it. And I agree, that performance of Shake Your Body is everything!
It wouldn't get much better in quality. I don't remember seeing much quality difference in the songs that were on the Wembley DVD as a bonus.

Yokohama is one of my favorite concerts. I wish Michael's voice would have been as good on the second leg.

Last edited:
I think it gets over shadowed by the 88/89 leg, because the 88/89 leg had the better set list. 87 does have Shake Your Body, but 88/89 has Another Part Of Me, Smooth Criminal, Dirty Diana, The Way You Make Me Feel and Man In The Mirror

To me, Yokohama 87 is the best Michael Jackson concert there is. His voice, the dancing, the setlist. It all works perfectly.

I love the Yokohama concert, but my favourite has to be the Brisbane show. Not really any reason, I just prefer it more.

What I like about the '87 leg is that like 70% of the shows have had their full (sans Brisbane, which was half) recordings leaked online or broadcasted (Yokohama).

I love Yokohama, it was the first Bad Tour concert I ever watched. That being said, it's barely a Bad Tour show. Only 2 songs from the actual album on the setlist. The first leg of the Bad Tour is more of a perfected Victory Tour show than a Bad Tour show. But that's certainly not a bad thing :)

As others have said, the 1987 Bad show is the Victory tour with three songs stapled at the very tail end of the set list. When it comes to performing Michael was great, but the set list of the 1988-9 shows is miles better.

I'd take Smooth Criminal and The Way You Make Me Feel over Things I Do for You and Lovely One any day.

This is something I'm dying to see
maxresdefault.jpg

Skip to 3:27

Of all the times he did that in Wanna Be Startin Somethin. That's my favorite

i think it gets over shadowed by the 88/89 leg, because the 88/89 leg had the better set list. 87 does have shake your body, but 88/89 has another part of me, smooth criminal, dirty diana, the way you make me feel and man in the mirror

this !

As others have said, the 1987 Bad show is the Victory tour with three songs stapled at the very tail end of the set list. When it comes to performing Michael was great, but the set list of the 1988-9 shows is miles better.

I'd take Smooth Criminal and The Way You Make Me Feel over Things I Do for You and Lovely One any day.
I'd rather have him sing live unpopular songs rather than him lip-synch his hits.

I always thought if he'd performed say Liberian Girl or Another Part Of Me in 1987 people would gravitate to it more. I love the 87 leg personally because it means I don't have to revisit the Victory Tour.

I chose those two songs in particular because they don't really have visually striking short films that will be ingrained in people's mind and also they wouldn't take a lot of staging and production. Just Mike and a spotlight, save the other songs from the album for the 88 leg

A Liberian girl live performance would have been amazing. I think he didn’t want to sing it because of all the different harmonies being impossible to recreate on stage.

What a song though, super under the radar but one of his greatest achievements. Vocals are unbelievable! My vote for best track post thriller in fact. Well this and who is it.

A Liberian girl live performance would have been amazing. I think he didn’t want to sing it because of all the different harmonies being impossible to recreate on stage.

What a song though, super under the radar but one of his greatest achievements. Vocals are unbelievable! My vote for best track post thriller in fact. Well this and who is it.
It has been said that there was no room for 'Liberian Girl' in the tour's set list.

But he seemed to have rehearsed that song (for the BAD Tour).

Certain of his decisions did not make sense, and one of them was that he never performed 'Liberian Girl', especially considering that for example he performed 'D.S.' (in the HIStory Tour) which was a rather obscure song and not even a single.

Yes, it is. Both Speed Demon and Liberian Girl were rehearsed during the first rehearsals in January 1988.
Makes you wonder what we're missing. I didn't know he rehearsed In The Closet for DWT until this year.

Back