Any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

Do you suffer from anxiety/depression?

• no

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • yes

Votes: 101 82.8%

• Total voters

Re: any anxiety/depression sufferers here?

hey friend. i believe both me and my sister have a form of depression. sometimes i think, considering the state of this world, it's not a bad thing to have. i believe, as long as we recognize it, it cannot overtake us. and i think if we are charitable to others, we can make it into a constructive thing. even in religion, Jesus was characterized as a' a man acquainted with sorrows and grief'. i think that having a case of depression doesn't stop a person from having happy moments, and smiling, and such. Michael Jackson said he was sad a lot of the time, but he turned it into something constructive. i think it can be a problem, if a person denies having it, or doesn't recognize that they have it, because there's nothing more troublesome than being taken by surprise by something like that. but if your recognize that you have it, then, more than likely, you'll manage it, and pay attention to it, and figure out a way to make lemonade out of lemons. so, if a person recognizes it, then, as strange as it may sound, it's not really a problem.

Erandi

Proud Member

Hi sweetie,
I feel with you. I've been through periods of deep depression myself. The cause is different for everyone of us, but, if you'd like to tell us more about what you're feeling, maybe we will be able to comfort you not with tips, but with some nice words and good thoughts :better:

Graf

Yes..I suffer from Social Anxiety..it has restricted me a lot in life..I mean,even when I'm with my group of friends I get the a lot of the physical anxiety symptoms..It's very difficult because I want to get out there, but it really holds back sadly. I can't go to social things like movies, clubs,bars or any other friend gatherings..And I can just forget about dating, I'm really shy around girls -_-

All anxiety's and depression is difficult but Social Anxiety is one of those things that, in this world that requires you to be with people, to go out to all sorts of places it's very very difficult..I can force myself to do things (which I did to see This Is It in theaters) but it can be pretty tough sometimes.

Personally I don't see social anxiety is any sort of "anxiety" but more of an adult shyness..

Society has dictated that if you can't handle certain things in life, then your often held back..But the way I ease it, is just keeping the faith in myself ,listen to a lot of music, and just trying to take small steps into things(but its hard)

Graf

Just remember that you are not alone :)

Last edited:

andrea72

Hi seem to suffer from from SAD during the months between
Oct/Nove through to Jan-Feb. Depression seems to run in my
mother's family. I suffered from anxiety in Jan'07. Was1st time
i'd ever had anything like that. It was horibble and scary.
At first i thought there was something seriusly wrong with me.
I felt like i had trapped wind and couldnt get rid of it. Then i
thought i was gonna have a heart attack. This carried on for some
mths. I went to my doc and he prescribed me beta blockers.
I only took about 2 then decided not to carry on with them
as i didnt like all of the side effects it had. I was scared to
even go out of the house sometimes. I ended up @ the hospital
quite number of times. The did allsorts tests on me, everything
seemed ok. I had a horrible experience one day when i had to go
into city centre i had a panic attack, i couldnt wait to get on the
bus to go home. At the time i was at college doing a course so
maybe the course was causing me stress i don't know. I got thru
it without relying on meds and am still here lol. You will get thru
it, believe me you will. I hope i never ever go thru that again.
Thats why i was going to work in mental health field as i had an
understanding of anxiety. But i changed my mind and am going
into green issues in stead, which is my passion.

Hocus

Thank you for this thread! :flowers: Yep, that's me... I'm suffering from mild depression (since 25-06-09 things slowly went downhill... :(). But sometimes I feel like slipping away into a deeper depression. Therefore I made an appointment with my doctor, to get help... That was last week. I have a second appointment by the end of this month. But I'm not getting any medication because of the side effects. I'm not too sure all of this will help, but I'll just wait and see... :wink:

By the way, this is an interesting article about 10 good things about depression. I do recognise some of the stuff she writes (uhh, but absolutely not the stuff about her wanting to kill herself! :D).
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/therese-borchard/10-good-things-about-depr_b_466199.html

Hugs for everyone here! :group: :heart:

Last edited:

suzynyc

Yes, I do also. I think it runs in my family. My mother had it younger and I guess still does. It takes me longer to get going. Like the commercial for a depression drug they run here showing a windup doll. You have to continually wind yourself up to get the energy to continue. It takes me longer to get out of bed in the morning. To face the day. Things I used to find fun and interesting I no longer have the desire to do. I used to love playing my guitar and keyboard....no more. I used to love sketching portraits...no more. I recently tried again after many years and just couldn't. I have the social anxiety thing too. It's just too exhausting and stressful to go out. Once in a while I'll go to a movie or something but I just feel most safe and comfortable at home. Of course, I have to go to work and I get there but some days it's very hard. I've never dealt with this. I think it goes back to my childhood also. Growing up without a father, growing up poor, kids taunting and teasing and bullying.

When Michael died, like many of you, that really sunk me to a new level. I got really, really down. It affected me greatly and I wasn't even what you would call a die hard fan of his before. But losing someone who has kind of been there all my life in some way or another and under such sad circumstances...it's very sad. And someone who was such a kind, gentle soul at that. Meanwhile, evil, heartless, mean people continue walking the earth. And then to see life go on and people continuing with life as if nothing happened while I was still terribly saddened by the loss and not yet over it (and still not quite).

Oddly I feel a little better during the fall/winter months. I get more depressed in the spring and summer when it is warm/hot/sunny. The opposite of S.A.D. I love it when it's crisp, chilly, dark and cold. I wonder if there's a name for this? LOL.

TarinJade

Proud Member

It takes me longer to get going. Like the commercial for a depression drug they run here showing a windup doll. You have to continually wind yourself up to get the energy to continue. It takes me longer to get out of bed in the morning. To face the day. Things I used to find fun and interesting I no longer have the desire to do. I used to love playing my guitar and keyboard....no more. I used to love sketching portraits...no more. I recently tried again after many years and just couldn't. I have the social anxiety thing too. It's just too exhausting and stressful to go out. Once in a while I'll go to a movie or something but I just feel most safe and comfortable at home. Of course, I have to go to work and I get there but some days it's very hard.

This is me. On mornings when I get to sleep in I find myself hitting the snooze button more and more because I just can't pull myself out of bed. I'm in a very boring routine of going to work, coming home, repeat, etc. I spend a lot of my time at home in my room -my sanctuary- because the mask can come off and I'm free to totally be myself.

I hate going to parties or gatherings where I'm not real familiar with people cause I'm shy and find it hard to start a conversation with people. I guess that doesn't bode real well with an acting career. :sad: I've been criticized and judged for this too, so I feel even more discouraged and more compelled to stay home. It's a vicious cycle.

I've dealt with depression on and off since I was 14. For the first two years of high school, briefly during my junior year of college, and then after graduating. When Michael died I sank to a whole new level of low.

For me personally, I find that exercise, keeping busy, and working creatively help a lot. I've never taken any medication or spoken with a therapist, but I don't recommend that for everyone.

Oddly I feel a little better during the fall/winter months. I get more depressed in the spring and summer when it is warm/hot/sunny. The opposite of S.A.D. I love it when it's crisp, chilly, dark and cold. I wonder if there's a name for this? LOL.

It's still considered Seasonal Affective Disorder. I had S.A.D. big time when I was a teenager, but I haven't really experienced it in some time.

Hocus

You know, I've recently discovered I'm an HSP person (thanks to another MJ fan! :wub:). HSP = highly sensitive person :wink: For me it's like another piece in the puzzle... :yes: But being an HSP person also means you are more vulnerable for depression. Perhaps some of you will recognise this. Here's a website about HSP: http://www.hsperson.com/index.html

Sharlene

I have both and hardly anyone knows (hesitated to say it here!) so I'm sorry I feel really uncomfortable elaborating on it. Like the others said, everyone's situation is totally unique so its hard to give tips. My advice to anyone suffering is to find a psychologist that you're comfortable with and make sure you regularly see them no matter how busy you think you are. I used to think my work and uni timetable was too tight to fit it in but thats ridiculous because health should always come first. Anyway now that I've been sticking to my treatment, things are improving :)
Good luck with your journeys everyone xx

Erandi

Proud Member

Thanks everyone.
I;m on medication and am on a waiting list for therapy.

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend taking medication (I'm no doctor though and I also said I wouldn't give advice :smilerolleyes:). In my opinion, drugs don't 'treat' depression, they sort of hide it in a back closet, if you know what I mean + they give addiction. After a while, you won't be able to function without them.
Therapy, without medication, will lighten you up...

MJsBollywoodGirl7

I have been still suffering from depression ever since what had happen to Michael last year. I still have all the symptoms of depression. I haven't felt a single ounce of happiness since before it happen. And I still haven't had a single good night's worth of sleep since June 24th 2009. So I am constantly tired all of the time but I have gotten used to it. As well as feeling sick all of the time and gotten used to that. But the one thing that doesn't help my depression is having the kind of mother that I do. Because every single time I tell her about my depression she just yells at me and/or she just doesn't want to hear it or believes me. So I just stop telling her about it. Since it is very obvious that she won't take me to the doctors for my depression. I can't go myself because I can't drive and my doctors office is a good 15 to 20 some minutes from where I live. So I was force to sought help with my depression on my own by playing any of my Sims and Final Fantasy games. Which they have been a big help. And by always eating which that was the wrong thing to do since I gain a lot of the weight that I had lost last Summer back. And I only lost that weight because after what had happen to Michael. Eating was the very last thing in the world I had wanted to do. I even told my mother once why I was gaining my weight back. And she doesn't want to believe me. So I just learn to hide my depression from her and from any of my other MJ hating family members. Because they are not going to care and would think I am totally insane to be suffering from depression over someone that I don't even know.

Hocus

I have both and hardly anyone knows (hesitated to say it here!) so I'm sorry I feel really uncomfortable elaborating on it.
I understand your side, it's very brave of you that you do! :group:

But I feel it's important to get this out in the open! I think this is an amazing thread! I feel that there's a lot of MJ fans out there that are suffering from depression all alone... :( And having a depression is nothing to be ashamed of. But it can be a really really bad thing... :(

So for anyone out there with depression who reads this thread and is not posting here :
Please try to reach out your hand to someone, try to talk to someone! Or even better seek professional help! Always remember there's lots of people who love you very much! :group: We, your MJ family, love you very much and we need you here! :wub: :heart:

With the L.O.V.E.,
Diana xx

Last edited:

Hocus

I have been still suffering from depression ever since what had happen to Michael last year. I still have all the symptoms of depression. I haven't felt a single ounce of happiness since before it happen. And I still haven't had a single good night's worth of sleep since June 24th 2009. So I am constantly tired all of the time but I have gotten used to it. As well as feeling sick all of the time and gotten used to that. But the one thing that doesn't help my depression is having the kind of mother that I do. Because every single time I tell her about my depression she just yells at me and/or she just doesn't want to hear it or believes me. So I just stop telling her about it. Since it is very obvious that she won't take me to the doctors for my depression. I can't go myself because I can't drive and my doctors office is a good 15 to 20 some minutes from where I live. So I was force to sought help with my depression on my own by playing any of my Sims and Final Fantasy games. Which they have been a big help. And by always eating which that was the wrong thing to do since I gain a lot of the weight that I had lost last Summer back. And I only lost that weight because after what had happen to Michael. Eating was the very last thing in the world I had wanted to do. I even told my mother once why I was gaining my weight back. And she doesn't want to believe me. So I just learn to hide my depression from her and from any of my other MJ hating family members. Because they are not going to care and would think I am totally insane to be suffering from depression over someone that I don't even know.
Hey sweetie, It's also possible to get treatment for depression over the Internet. Have you tried that already? If not, please promise me you'll do that ok? :huggy: Take care! :give_heart:

PoP

Proud Member

I've been depressed since high school, because no one still pays any attention to me and they angered me for it, when I started my independance I'm still depressed because I was lonelt without having friends over to see me. But then when I saw Naruto for the first time in the fall of 06', mainly because of NaruHina, the show and manga saved me from my depression, I guess NaruHina healed my depression because seeing them together makes me really happy. My depression came back during most of the winter semister in college, but I felt a lot better when I got home.

Naruto-Episode045_531.jpg

This is why they healed my depression. They made me happy.

angelofinnocence

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend taking medication (I'm no doctor though and I also said I wouldn't give advice :smilerolleyes:). In my opinion, drugs don't 'treat' depression, they sort of hide it in a back closet, if you know what I mean + they give addiction. After a while, you won't be able to function without them.

I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this statement. Depression/anxiety is an illness. If you had an infection you would take antibiotics. Medication isn't for everyone but we must not condone people who are on it or have taken it in the past. It has helped me greatly and allowed me to work and to get on with life. Plus the waiting list is eight months here for therapy. If you have ever had severe mental health problems you will know that is a very long time to wait without medication. Also ant-di's are NOT ADDICTIVE.
I would just like to say a thankyou for all the wonderful replies and kind words. Keep posting!
A note of caution, lets not go into meds in detail. We are not doctors and everyone has the right to decide their own treatment so lets all please be sensitive to others.
L.O.V.E

I'm afraid I strongly disagree with this statement. Depression/anxiety is an illness. If you had an infection you would take antibiotics. Medication isn't for everyone but we must not condone people who are on it or have taken it in the past. It has helped me greatly and allowed me to work and to get on with life. Plus the waiting list is eight months here for therapy. If you have ever had severe mental health problems you will know that is a very long time to wait without medication. Also ant-di's are NOT ADDICTIVE.
I would just like to say a thankyou for all the wonderful replies and kind words. Keep posting!
A note of caution, lets not go into meds in detail. We are not doctors and everyone has the right to decide their own treatment so lets all please be sensitive to others.
L.O.V.E

your last paragraph is why it's extraordinarily tenuous to even consider talking about "what happened to Michael Jackson" ...and even..the Doctor Murray situation...with a ten thousand foot pole.

suzynyc

This is me. On mornings when I get to sleep in I find myself hitting the snooze button more and more because I just can't pull myself out of bed. I'm in a very boring routine of going to work, coming home, repeat, etc. I spend a lot of my time at home in my room -my sanctuary- because the mask can come off and I'm free to totally be myself.

I hate going to parties or gatherings where I'm not real familiar with people cause I'm shy and find it hard to start a conversation with people. I guess that doesn't bode real well with an acting career. :sad: I've been criticized and judged for this too, so I feel even more discouraged and more compelled to stay home. It's a vicious cycle.

I've dealt with depression on and off since I was 14. For the first two years of high school, briefly during my junior year of college, and then after graduating. When Michael died I sank to a whole new level of low.

For me personally, I find that exercise, keeping busy, and working creatively help a lot. I've never taken any medication or spoken with a therapist, but I don't recommend that for everyone.

It's still considered Seasonal Affective Disorder. I had S.A.D. big time when I was a teenager, but I haven't really experienced it in some time.

Yep, I hit that snooze button several times every morning, heh.

I've heard some of the shyest people are performers, actors, singers, etc. So I hope you don't let that, or other people's opinions, stop you from pursuing it.

Exercising..yes, that helps with a person's outlook and feelings of well being but I just can't get up the motivation. I'm going to try tonight.

The party and gatherings thing...I hear ya.

Last edited:

thrillerchild

Proud Member

I guess I'm in denial about certain aspects but I've got the anxiety a hella lot! Can't help it when something knocks me out of my stride or last minute or out of the blue it gives me a sometimes unbarable feeling of anxiety :-/ The depression side is not so bad and comes in cycles with me. But as I'm extremely shy in person I find it difficult to open up :(

Sharlene

I guess I'm in denial about certain aspects but I've got the anxiety a hella lot! Can't help it when something knocks me out of my stride or last minute or out of the blue it gives me a sometimes unbarable feeling of anxiety :-/ The depression side is not so bad and comes in cycles with me. But as I'm extremely shy in person I find it difficult to open up :(

:( yet you still manage to provide a shoulder for us to cry on - thank u :huggy:

Hocus

:( yet you still manage to provide a shoulder for us to cry on - thank u :huggy:
You're right Sharlene! :clapping:Stephen is one of those true angels! :wub: :yes:
Thank you Stephen! :) Sending you lots of love & strength! :give_heart: :huggy: Take care!

man.in.the.mirror

i raise my hand too,i,ve suffered anxiety and depression on and off for many years,i have to say though,i,ve not felt any happiness since michael left us,the thing with me is i have had anxiety on and off for years ,so i think i,m kind of used to it now,
i really feel for everyone here that suffers,and remember that if anyone ever needs to talk,well you know where i am,

love to everyone in our michael family,

angelofinnocence

your last paragraph is why it's extraordinarily tenuous to even consider talking about "what happened to Michael Jackson" ...and even..the Doctor Murray situation...with a ten thousand foot pole.

Hi Friend,
you've lost me about there? What do you mean exactly? x

mjfan1990

hi my friend i also have a bad case of anixty and depression i have G.A.D. general anixty disorder ans plus i also have adhd too

smile4mj

Been there. I suffered anxiety and depression for a year. Friends and family are my medicine. I talked to them openly about my problem. I just felt better. Besides that, I did a lot of activities to distract myself from thinking that same problem that has been haunting me.

Besides these two, I have insomnia since I was a baby. What a combination!
I remember being depressed when I was 6 years old because children disciminated me or laughted at me because I use a walker.
My only memory about an adult making me smile/happy is Michael. I could got out of there when I was 18; however, in 2009 (like many of you) I feel depressed again.
Also my mother and I have very stormy relationship since ever I can remember; nowadays, we can't stand each other.

I was so used to try until I couls succed on my goals but thanks to that mother fucker C M many of us can make this dream come true anymore.

ThunderPower

Proud Member

I used to have bad anxiety, but eventually I was able to cope with it. I haven't had an issue with it for a while.

Arklove

I have not been diagnosed or anything, but I believe I do suffer from some mild anxiety....sometimes social anxiety....A LOT of the time I find myself very uncomfortable and nervous around people I don't know....The only people I truly feel comfortable around are family...When I'm at work, I'm fine, I'm like a social butterfly and very personable...but I'm a nurse, I need to be...lol...But when it comes to social settings, I get so anxious and uncomfortable, that I am literally on the edge, waiting to be able to make a getaway...any excuse to get out of the situation...I don't think I'm at the point of needing to go see a doctor about it...I just deal with it as it comes....

suzynyc

Aww I feel for all of you who have these issues. I really can't offer advice because I hardly take my own but just try to stay strong and when things get tough keep reminding yourself that "this too shall pass". About Michael I just keep telling myself that he is in a better place now, hopefully at peace and not in pain, stress or worry anymore. He did his job on earth and lived a full life for a 50 year old and with all he endured. We had him and we were so very lucky. We still have him in a way, I would like to believe.

I have a question for those of you who have been brave enough to get professional help. What is it like to see a therapist? Is it really difficult? Because just the thought of telling my problems and deepest feelings to some stranger is more frightening to me than going to a party, lol.

Last edited:

BillieJean84

yes I have small, panic attacks. Unfortunatly I cannot afford meds rigt now so I hope if I get a job soon I can be able to.

tofdel1

L.O.V.E

I 2nd AOI's reply.
I have dealt with depression for over 20 years. I have also tried many prescriptions before finding one that works. It took about 5years before finding one that works for me. I am pretty happy now.
I don't believe people get addicted to antidepressants. But for myself- I feel I need them to stay alive. I've stopped taking them, and the depression comes back. There are side effects to medicines though. They can be effective if used carefully and not mixing many kinds together.
Be careful!
Everyone has their own ways of dealing with things. Some react well to therapy, some meds, Hypnotics, some don't deal with it at all.
The most important thing I can say is see your Doctor!!! Especially, if you are suicidal. They are the professionals. Talking through things with people helps. It is also good to be well rounded and have work, hobbies and friends. Giving/helping others can help you feel better too. I always try to be a better person-in whatever I do. If you listen to Michaels music, he will lead the way. :angel:

thrillerchild

Proud Member

I have not been diagnosed or anything, but I believe I do suffer from some mild anxiety....sometimes social anxiety....A LOT of the time I find myself very uncomfortable and nervous around people I don't know....The only people I truly feel comfortable around are family...When I'm at work, I'm fine, I'm like a social butterfly and very personable...but I'm a nurse, I need to be...lol...But when it comes to social settings, I get so anxious and uncomfortable, that I am literally on the edge, waiting to be able to make a getaway...any excuse to get out of the situation...I don't think I'm at the point of needing to go see a doctor about it...I just deal with it as it comes....

Just like me!...we're not related are we? :mello: :fear:

D

Dangerous21

L.O.V.E

I 2nd AOI's reply.
I have dealt with depression for over 20 years. I have also tried many prescriptions before finding one that works. It took about 5years before finding one that works for me. I am pretty happy now.
I don't believe people get addicted to antidepressants. But for myself- I feel I need them to stay alive. I've stopped taking them, and the depression comes back. There are side effects to medicines though. They can be effective if used carefully and not mixing many kinds together.
Be careful!
Everyone has their own ways of dealing with things. Some react well to therapy, some meds, Hypnotics, some don't deal with it at all.
The most important thing I can say is see your Doctor!!! Especially, if you are suicidal. They are the professionals. Talking through things with people helps. It is also good to be well rounded and have work, hobbies and friends. Giving/helping others can help you feel better too. I always try to be a better person-in whatever I do. If you listen to Michaels music, he will lead the way. :angel:

I agree with these two. Mental illness is very much like other illnesses. It's a chemical imbalance that can be helped by medications. People do not become addicted to these medicines as they do with narcotics, benzos, etc.

That being said, many factors influence one's moods. People have varying success with different types of treatment (meds, cognitive behavioral therapy, group therapy, exercise, meditation, etc.). A lot of times, there is an inciting factor and once that is dealt with, the depression goes too. But in some people (especially those with a family predilection to being depressed), therapy/exercise/etc doesn't work and medications are necessary.

It is embarrassing in our culture to admit to having a problem with depression. But, again, it is an illness that has been studied quite a bit, with many options for treatment. Don't let a doctor just put you on an antidepressant and say goodbye. But do see a doctor, because he/she should assist you in getting the help you need.

Agent M

Thanks everyone.
I;m on medication and am on a waiting list for therapy.

123Jam

I had a pretty bad bout of anxiety, depression and insomnia in high school .
For about 6 months i couldn't fall asleep until about 4 hours after had gone to bed and everyone else had to be sleeping or i wouldn't be able to sleep.

I think the best advice(if you don't have a more serious medical disorder)
is to

1 create or find a good network of friends: however not just any friends make sure your friends are the type of people that are ok with just hanging out all day even if you guys do absolutely nothing but talk. then you know you haven't found just a shopping buddy/drinking friend etc. but someone who you can form deeper emotional relationships with.

2 exercise: run/left weights/yoga running may be best, along with other cardiovascular exercises
this will release endorphin neurotransmitters which will result in a natural high
Exercise will also make you physically healthier and increase your self confidence.

Exercise may be the easier step to start of with, just make sure to keep a consistent exercise schedule. You don't need a gym membership or expensive home gym equipment, just buy a jump rope and a set of dumbbells.
Then you can ease into the networking part and before you know it you'l start to feel better mentally and physically.

angelofinnocence

I have many health problems and so can't exercise intensley. I also have my faith which helps alot. re the above-I haven't forgiven Tom Cruise for what he said about Brooke shields rightly taking medication for her severe post-natal depression. In my view, Mr. Cruise is a very ignorant man.

Naturelle

ok, here I go guys. I was doing fine until june 25th, 2009. After that, I couldn't get out of bed. It hit me so hard I didn't how to handle it. Although I have had major depression for awhile the med were enough to keep me well.
Fast forwar to today, I am still on the med I was on prior to 6/25 but it seems that I need more. I tried to do therapy but I wasn't fond ogf this guy, and I told him that I needed someone to help throug this rut that I have been in since 6/25. He was ok with that but he wasnt the right person I felt comfortable to discussthings with.

So, I haven't been back. My mom know how I am feeling and she will come over and get me out of the house, otherthwise...I don't go anywhere. I may go tot he maket for a few things but nowhere else. I habe been diagnosed in the 90's with depression and med and therapy worked well.
I do no any MJ friends where I live I wish I did that would help out a lot. But, ya, It's been brutal since June 25 and it's only the beginning.

swirly

I'm so sorry to hear about all of your stories. I am very lucky as I am not affected my depression but it is a very common problem and you shoulod always get help if you feel that you are suffering.

I studied depression for a while at school and I don't think that anti-depressants are the best way to deal with it even though it may make you feel better. We researched some anti-depressants and they actually MADE you depressed rather than making you better and you really don't know what those tablets are doing to you physically and mentally through years or taking them.

I believe that the best thing to do is to go and see a therapist and be brutally honest to them; there is always some underlying reason for depression (somewhere deep down) and talkihg about it and your feelings will really make you feel better and take a large weight off your chest. I'm not saying that seeing a therapist will cure it, but I do believe that it will help, and as others have suggested take up hobbies, sports, exercise, be creative etc.

And as someone said previously, Michael lived a full life for a 50 year old, anybody would be struggling to achieve what he did in 150 years nevermind 50 :)

Dianelesley

I have suffered from severe depression in the past; I had a breakdown in my early twenties. I didn't have things easy as a child and adult life has been incredibly difficult caring for two sick parents as well as my own kids, one of whom is disabled. My mum and dad both had dementia and my dad was physically unable to look after himself. I do understand how difficult it is for you - depression and other mental illnesses are crippling.

Because of my own experiences I trained as a counsellor for five years and now I work locally as a counsellor in my spare time.

Don't dismiss medication - it can ease the symptoms and enable you to cope a little better with life. Therapy helps most people so try and push for that though as meds can just mask the problem. I have seen counselling help people make some major improvements.

Take heart sweetie - we are all with you xx :better:

suzynyc

I have a question for those of you who have been brave enough to get professional help. What is it like to see a therapist? Is it really difficult? Because just the thought of telling my problems and deepest feelings to some stranger is more frightening to me than going to a party, lol.

Is there anyone who could answer my question (quoted above) for me, please? I'm just wondering what it's like. Is it like in the movies where you lay on a couch while the therapist takes notes? Heh.

JohnC

Proud Member

Is there anyone who could answer my question (quoted above) for me, please? I'm just wondering what it's like. Is it like in the movies where you lay on a couch while the therapist takes notes? Heh.
It really depends where you go exactly.

I sat on a couch, although I did have the option of laying down I wanted to. In our first session, my Dr. just asked me for a background of my life. Second session; what motivates me, what makes me 'tic' or whatever.. just stuff like that. Third; We looked at way I could 'improve' my mental health.

I think I had about 6 sessions.

I am going to another psychologist soon, so I can probably make a better comparison.

It wasn't weird for me. I found it kind of irritating have to go through all of the crap bits of my life, but that's what you have to do for them to get a proper analysis.

Having said that, I wasn't as honest as I probably should have been.

jemini515

I have had different experiences with different therapists. If you choose to see one, you should ask what therapy philosophy and methods are. Some therapists will let you lead the conversation and ask questions, some will start by visiting your past, etc. My current psychiatrist (MD) approaches things kind of like any medical doctor would approach a check-up: specific questions about my progress and state of being.

Any and all doctors/therapists should not be "judgmental" and if something makes you uncomfortable, you should say so. Finding a style/personality type/age/gender you are comfortable with might help. Personally, I find it easier to tell my weird stuff to a stranger because I know that our only interaction is in that room and they are trying to help me, plus they've probably heard crazier! (and yes, I did tell my shrink I was depressed about the loss of my hero Michael Jackson)

I have sought therapy three times in life and each time I am glad I did. In college I was a little stressed out with a lot on my plate, so a psychologist-in-training helped me talk through my anxieties and help me managed my priorities. Around age 23 I began experiencing panic attacks and some agoraphobia/claustrophobia, and a psychologist practicing cognitive-behavioral therapy literally turned my life around. And in Oct '09 I began seeing a psychiatrist and taking a medication after being depressed about MJ and also a job I hated (which I've since left). I'm really happy I sought help though each time it was really hard! At first I didn't want to admit I needed help, or allocate the money for it, or speak to a stranger, or have friends see me as "crazy." But I'm so glad I put all those thoughts aside and now I feel proud to talk about it openly!

My tips for anyone suffering are:
1) Find the right therapist. Find a way to see someone; there may be ways even if you lack money or are not mobile. Or discuss with your regular physician if that's all that's available to you.
2) Exercise (something you enjoy if possible) and keep doing it even if at first it seems like it's not helping.
3) Build a support network of friends/family/online buddies you can confide in.
4) Look for ways to help others. Taking the focus off of yourself some of the time can be a good thing, and the joy of helping someone in greater need may melt a little bit of your sadness for a while.

Love and hugs to you all!!!! :heart:

Last edited:

jemini515

Oh, I forgot one more thing: I've also come to discover that not all "sad" feelings are bad. I remind myself that I have always been a sensitive human being, and the opposite side of the "sad sensitivity" is the side that can feel extreme joy. If I were never ever sad, I wouldn't value the happy, and I would not know my own inner strength. I'm really not surprised to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, sensitive, creative, feeling souls -- I think many MJ fans are these things, and it's also what makes us great, able to connect with art and care about healing the world.

Of course if you're not sure if you've got occasional sadness or "the blues" or depression please speak to a professional because it sure can be confusing! Totally been there! :)

Hocus

Oh, I forgot one more thing: I've also come to discover that not all "sad" feelings are bad. I remind myself that I have always been a sensitive human being, and the opposite side of the "sad sensitivity" is the side that can feel extreme joy. If I were never ever sad, I wouldn't value the happy, and I would not know my own inner strength. I'm really not surprised to be surrounded by so many thoughtful, sensitive, creative, feeling souls -- I think many MJ fans are these things, and it's also what makes us great, able to connect with art and care about healing the world.
Totally agree with this! :wub: :yes: Thank you Janine for your contribution to this thread! :flowers: Love and hugs for you too! :heart: :huggy:

helena22

I've been dealing with depression for the past few years. Went through many changes in my life during the period, one of which is Michael's passing...All the changes have made me feel super anxious and worried about many things. I used to be a clumsy and laid-back person, but now I'm this worrywart. It's escalated to the point where I imagine bad things happening even with just a few slip-ups on my part.

I find myself being lazy with some aspects of my life, which I think is due to depression. For example, cleaning up my room, getting things organized in my room and on my desk at work, etc. After I get all the things done, like many tasks at work, and when I get home, I just don't have the energy to do other activities even though they can help to recharge my batteries. I spend most of my weekends just chilling, just relaxing. Can't imagine doing anything else.... Plus, it's very hard to get up in the morning and worse, I usually have this frown my face when I don't interact with other people to whom I can't show the real me. Honestly, these days I feel whole and alive again when I'm alone.....

I'm constantly working to make things better, both consciously and unconsciouly...It's a constant, everyday battle. I depend on music. Music is always there for me. It's something that makes me feel elevated and valued as an individual. I also write down my feelings in my own personal notebook or on online communities like here. Gotta add, sharing it with others going through the same thing, like I'm doing right now, that helps a great deal as well.
Shout-out to the threadstarter and everyone else!

Last edited:

helena22

Yes, I do also. I think it runs in my family. My mother had it younger and I guess still does. It takes me longer to get going. Like the commercial for a depression drug they run here showing a windup doll. You have to continually wind yourself up to get the energy to continue. It takes me longer to get out of bed in the morning. To face the day. Things I used to find fun and interesting I no longer have the desire to do. I used to love playing my guitar and keyboard....no more. I used to love sketching portraits...no more. I recently tried again after many years and just couldn't. I have the social anxiety thing too. It's just too exhausting and stressful to go out. Once in a while I'll go to a movie or something but I just feel most safe and comfortable at home. Of course, I have to go to work and I get there but some days it's very hard. I've never dealt with this. I think it goes back to my childhood also. Growing up without a father, growing up poor, kids taunting and teasing and bullying.

When Michael died, like many of you, that really sunk me to a new level. I got really, really down. It affected me greatly and I wasn't even what you would call a die hard fan of his before. But losing someone who has kind of been there all my life in some way or another and under such sad circumstances...it's very sad. And someone who was such a kind, gentle soul at that. Meanwhile, evil, heartless, mean people continue walking the earth. And then to see life go on and people continuing with life as if nothing happened while I was still terribly saddened by the loss and not yet over it (and still not quite).

Wow, it coulda been me writing this! The part in bold, that's exactly the same for me!!! Feeling so strange and comforting at the same time, but def. more comforting rather than strange. I'm def. not alone...I don't have to feel inferior about myself going through the things you go through, too. Sometimes, when I confide it to several people around me, most of them kinda made judgements like I was doing something wrong. I couldn't be more lonely at that time. I regret doing it. I think it's better to express myself creatively to heal, like writing and singing and daydreaming. My occupation is not an artist, but I believe everyone has an artist living within and it does help to bring him/her out when you're depressed.

Dianelesley

I am a therapist.

I depends on the therapists style and approach.

I use a room with two chairs. The first thing I do is introduce myself, explain what will happen and reassure the client that everything they tell me is in the strictest confidence - unless I am concerned they may cause harm to themselves or others. If I have concerns I also reassure them I would do nothing unless the client and I discuss it first. Throughout I always check that the client has understood me and is happy with what I have said.

Its about giving you an opportunity to have an hour on a regular basis to talk about whatever is concerning you in a non-judgemental environment. together you and the therapist can discuss your concerns and help you make sense of your feelings - by bringing them out in the open you can both explore how you feel maybe making your feelings easier to deal with and understand.

It is not about telling you what to do or how you should feel but about helping you make sense of your life.

Don't feel embarassed or uncomfortable - any good therapist will never make you feel like you are weird. In the UK we have registers of qualified therapists and we are well regulated here. I am sure the same must be sure in other countries.

Depending on what you feel your concerns are you can see different types of therapist.

Someone who specialises in CBT will deal with stuff like panic attacks giving you taks to complete to help you get over them. It works on negative thoughts.

If you want to explore things you think may be stuck in your past, you could look for a Psychodynamic counsellor.

Personally I would search for someone called an Integrative counsellor who can offer a variety of approaches.

Please don't be scared - a good therapist will help with that. and if they don't do not be afraid to change to another!

Good luck xxx

suzynyc

It really depends where you go exactly.

I sat on a couch, although I did have the option of laying down I wanted to. In our first session, my Dr. just asked me for a background of my life. Second session; what motivates me, what makes me 'tic' or whatever.. just stuff like that. Third; We looked at way I could 'improve' my mental health.

I think I had about 6 sessions.

I am going to another psychologist soon, so I can probably make a better comparison.

It wasn't weird for me. I found it kind of irritating have to go through all of the crap bits of my life, but that's what you have to do for them to get a proper analysis.

Having said that, I wasn't as honest as I probably should have been.

Thank you for sharing your experience. :)

suzynyc

I am a therapist.

I depends on the therapists style and approach.

I use a room with two chairs. The first thing I do is introduce myself, explain what will happen and reassure the client that everything they tell me is in the strictest confidence - unless I am concerned they may cause harm to themselves or others. If I have concerns I also reassure them I would do nothing unless the client and I discuss it first. Throughout I always check that the client has understood me and is happy with what I have said.

Its about giving you an opportunity to have an hour on a regular basis to talk about whatever is concerning you in a non-judgemental environment. together you and the therapist can discuss your concerns and help you make sense of your feelings - by bringing them out in the open you can both explore how you feel maybe making your feelings easier to deal with and understand.

It is not about telling you what to do or how you should feel but about helping you make sense of your life.

Don't feel embarassed or uncomfortable - any good therapist will never make you feel like you are weird. In the UK we have registers of qualified therapists and we are well regulated here. I am sure the same must be sure in other countries.

Depending on what you feel your concerns are you can see different types of therapist.

Someone who specialises in CBT will deal with stuff like panic attacks giving you taks to complete to help you get over them. It works on negative thoughts.

If you want to explore things you think may be stuck in your past, you could look for a Psychodynamic counsellor.

Personally I would search for someone called an Integrative counsellor who can offer a variety of approaches.

Please don't be scared - a good therapist will help with that. and if they don't do not be afraid to change to another!

Good luck xxx

Thanks for the information and advice. We'll see.

suzynyc

Wow, it coulda been me writing this! The part in bold, that's exactly the same for me!!! Feeling so strange and comforting at the same time, but def. more comforting rather than strange. I'm def. not alone...I don't have to feel inferior about myself going through the things you go through, too. Sometimes, when I confide it to several people around me, most of them kinda made judgements like I was doing something wrong. I couldn't be more lonely at that time. I regret doing it. I think it's better to express myself creatively to heal, like writing and singing and daydreaming. My occupation is not an artist, but I believe everyone has an artist living within and it does help to bring him/her out when you're depressed.

How interesting that you felt the same things I was.

Yes, I think it can be healing to express yourself creatively. But for me it's tough to build up the motivation. I used to love sketching and playing music. I would love to start sketching again and being creative but I've lost it. I just don't have the desire anymore. I recently tried sketching again and my hands wouldn't do what my brain told them to. And then I didn't try it again to practice because it seems like so much work, lol. How awful.

helena22

How interesting that you felt the same things I was.

Yes, I think it can be healing to express yourself creatively. But for me it's tough to build up the motivation. I used to love sketching and playing music. I would love to start sketching again and being creative but I've lost it. I just don't have the desire anymore. I recently tried sketching again and my hands wouldn't do what my brain told them to. And then I didn't try it again to practice because it seems like so much work, lol. How awful.
Sorry to hear that...Really, my heart goes out to you. If I was you, ...I can't even imagine the pain you're going through. I've lost interest in some things I used to enjoy, but a few other things, I'm still passionate about them and that helps me a lot.

angelofinnocence

It's great to read everyone's responses. Thank you for contributing to my thread.
I am pretty unwell with anxiety just now. I have been signed off work due to it until next Thursday. I have been having bad panic attacks at work and feekings of not being able to cope. As I said before I am on the waiting list for counselling and am on meds but at the moment every day is a living hell.

neverbaby

Proud Member

Just wanted to share my own experiences briefly. I suffered from depression/anxiety/social phobias for about 8 years. I had counselling several times, and up until last October I refused to try medication. But I'm glad I did because now I feel much much better and I was only on them for a few months.

What works for me won't work for others but I want people who are suffering right now to know that you aren't alone. That even when you think noone understands, there's always someone who does. Keep yourself busy. Try to be kind to yourself. Learn to accept who you are (easier said than done, I know). You'll get there.

jemini515

It's great to read everyone's responses. Thank you for contributing to my thread.
I am pretty unwell with anxiety just now. I have been signed off work due to it until next Thursday. I have been having bad panic attacks at work and feekings of not being able to cope. As I said before I am on the waiting list for counselling and am on meds but at the moment every day is a living hell.

Hi Angel, I'm so sorry you are having a hard time right now. I know what it's like to have panic at work, and like I said before, a great therapist helped a whole lot, and she used the techniques in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Panic-Treatments/dp/0195311353

Maybe this or others could help while you are waiting to see someone in person? In this meantime I'm glad we can all talk on here as part of the MJ Fam. :heart:

angelofinnocence

Hi Angel, I'm so sorry you are having a hard time right now. I know what it's like to have panic at work, and like I said before, a great therapist helped a whole lot, and she used the techniques in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mastery-Your-Anxiety-Panic-Treatments/dp/0195311353

Maybe this or others could help while you are waiting to see someone in person? In this meantime I'm glad we can all talk on here as part of the MJ Fam. :heart:

thanks so much. I really appreciate your kindness. I will certainly have a look at the book. x

Suzie B

Hi everyone. Its funny that I should come across this thread today as I am having one of my really bad days today. I'll be honest, I do worry about what people think of me and the stigma that is attached to mental illness, but I'll just say what I've got. For the last 10 years I have suffered with OCD, emetophobia (people might want to look it up as I can't even write what I'm scared of as I am overwhelmed by terror all the time with it) and I have been told that I have GAD. To people who don't know this, I seem really 'normal' and bubbly, but this is all a facade, I find it hard to be kind to myself, to really relax with who I am and it is so hard to be truly happy. I also have been worse sonce 25th June 2009. It was like a bad bad dream taking over my life, living in this awful world with no Michael in it, it crushed the very soul of me. I still feel this way but manage to get myself up and out to work every day. I always wonder how I do it.

My fears in life have consumed me, its been hard but I have somehow managed to foucs on slowing building a good life - I have a good law degree and I am getting married next year.

Therapy I have had includes counselling - it can be very upsetting but sometimes a good relief to vent years of upset and to evaluate things in the past and to understand them with more adult understanding (if that makes sense). I had hypnotherapy for my phobia which was very good, before the hypnotherapy I would have consant panic attacks, hyperventilating and insomnia, since 2008 when I had the therapy I have had only a couple of the panic attacks, although insomnia crept in more after 25/6. I am now on a waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which is supposed to help by unlearning negative thoughts and learning positive ones, so retuning the thought process. I must say I'm not sure how much it will work having had such bad anxiety for so long, but I am willing to give it a go.

Michael helps. I listen to his soulful voice and feel his love and peace and it really helps. He said something in the 'Dancing the Dream' book that means a lot to me. The piece is called 'Trust'. Here's a qoute from it:

"Trust is like that - it always seems to come down to trusting in yourself. Others can't overcome fear for you; you have to do it on your own. Its hard, because fear and doubt hold on tight...Trusting yourself begins by recognizing that its okay to be afraid...In accepting yourself completely, trust becomes complete. There is no longer any separation between people, because there is no longer any separation inside. In the space where fear used to live, love is allowed to grow."

I try to remember this, I think it helps to do our best to remember who we really are and to love ourselves for that no matter what people's view on 'normal' is.

Erandi

Proud Member

Hi everyone. Its funny that I should come across this thread today as I am having one of my really bad days today. I'll be honest, I do worry about what people think of me and the stigma that is attached to mental illness, but I'll just say what I've got. For the last 10 years I have suffered with OCD, emetophobia (people might want to look it up as I can't even write what I'm scared of as I am overwhelmed by terror all the time with it) and I have been told that I have GAD. To people who don't know this, I seem really 'normal' and bubbly, but this is all a facade, I find it hard to be kind to myself, to really relax with who I am and it is so hard to be truly happy. I also have been worse sonce 25th June 2009. It was like a bad bad dream taking over my life, living in this awful world with no Michael in it, it crushed the very soul of me. I still feel this way but manage to get myself up and out to work every day. I always wonder how I do it.

My fears in life have consumed me, its been hard but I have somehow managed to foucs on slowing building a good life - I have a good law degree and I am getting married next year.

Therapy I have had includes counselling - it can be very upsetting but sometimes a good relief to vent years of upset and to evaluate things in the past and to understand them with more adult understanding (if that makes sense). I had hypnotherapy for my phobia which was very good, before the hypnotherapy I would have consant panic attacks, hyperventilating and insomnia, since 2008 when I had the therapy I have had only a couple of the panic attacks, although insomnia crept in more after 25/6. I am now on a waiting list for cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) which is supposed to help by unlearning negative thoughts and learning positive ones, so retuning the thought process. I must say I'm not sure how much it will work having had such bad anxiety for so long, but I am willing to give it a go.

Michael helps. I listen to his soulful voice and feel his love and peace and it really helps. He said something in the 'Dancing the Dream' book that means a lot to me. The piece is called 'Trust'. Here's a qoute from it:

"Trust is like that - it always seems to come down to trusting in yourself. Others can't overcome fear for you; you have to do it on your own. Its hard, because fear and doubt hold on tight...Trusting yourself begins by recognizing that its okay to be afraid...In accepting yourself completely, trust becomes complete. There is no longer any separation between people, because there is no longer any separation inside. In the space where fear used to live, love is allowed to grow."

I try to remember this, I think it helps to do our best to remember who we really are and to love ourselves for that no matter what people's view on 'normal' is.

I can't believe how much we are alike. It's like you're describing me in there (as I couldn't even write what was on my mind because words didn't come easy). I basicly felt what you felt. I had another type of phobia - agoraphobia, but I guess these are all somehow related. I went through CBT myself and it really helped me a lot. I got almost all the demons out in the light and now I'm able to seize the moment.
We are all, here, profound individuals and I think that, with a bit of positive thinking and some encouraging words from our fellows, we will make it.

Nice quote, btw :hug:

Suzie B

I can't believe how much we are alike. It's like you're describing me in there (as I couldn't even write what was on my mind because words didn't come easy). I basicly felt what you felt. I had another type of phobia - agoraphobia, but I guess these are all somehow related. I went through CBT myself and it really helped me a lot. I got almost all the demons out in the light and now I'm able to seize the moment.
We are all, here, profound individuals and I think that, with a bit of positive thinking and some encouraging words from our fellows, we will make it.

Nice quote, btw :hug:

Thanks, its good to be able to share experiences and to learn that we are not alone in our fears.

MJJ_luv1991

I am! I'm on medication and Xanax and it's helped me greatly, but there are still triggers that make me lose control and have panic attacks. I'm going to have some counseling sessions here in the near future. I have had them before and they really help.

D

Dangerous21

I am! I'm on medication and Xanax and it's helped me greatly, but there are still triggers that make me lose control and have panic attacks. I'm going to have some counseling sessions here in the near future. I have had them before and they really help.

I think it's good you are trying the counseling sessions. I really am cautious with Xanax and other benzos (as a provider) because they are so easy to become dependent on. Not saying that you are or anything like that. But IMO, it's always good to try to minimize use of those medications (xanax/benzos).

Good luck with the sessions :)

MJJ_luv1991

I think it's good you are trying the counseling sessions. I really am cautious with Xanax and other benzos (as a provider) because they are so easy to become dependent on.

I don't take it on a regular basis, I just take it when I absolutely need to. When I'm feeling very anxious or upset, I take it. :)

M

Mariajoaosilva

Oh yes i suffer from anxiety and deprresion for years!

I was in doubt if i should share my story,but i will because talking about things,sometimes help,and if there's one thing i know i need is help.

All my life was a vey dificult one.
Was born with lots of healths problems,but most of all,my father never liked me or wanted me.He wanted only boys,and he never believed in me.He never thought i could become someone,so i grew up with the support and help of my grandmother (on my mom's side),and my Mother.
They are the ones that made me be who i am now.

As if this was not enough,and i saw and heard to much growing up,my world falls down in 1999 when my grandmother dies september 19th.
Till today i remember everything i was doing,the day of the week it happened (sunday),the time (13.15pm)...all is so fresh...as if it just happened.
The fact that i couldn't accept her death,(and till today is it is very difficult to me to accept it),took me to a psychiatrist,to being in hospital,taking medicins that changed my body so much,as i gained weight because of it.
I started to hate the way i look,spoke about it to the doctor that changed lots of times my medicins,and nothing worked,untill i decided to stop having medicins.
Medication i was on for 10 years,that everybody was telling me that i was addicted,and that it was dangerous to stop suddendly,i stoped and nothing happened at all.(Thank God).
Had lots of ups and downs,untill June 23rd,2006.In this day,my Mom is in thr hospital making some exams,and all of thr sudden,a brain aneuriysm brusts.We,and she,had no idea she had it at all.All of the sudden my mom is near dying and i am in complete schok because i can't understand what happened,how,and why.
When she finally comes home (2 months later),i change my all life.I put my dreams,my wishes,my life on hold,because i start taking care of my mom that was completly depedent on me.
2007 comes,2008,and my life is still on hold.
2009 comes and to help all this,Michael is murdered!One day he was here,he was siging,he was dancing,making plans for his this is it tour,and in the next moment he is gone.
Till today i haven't grieved for him.Although i know rationatly that he is dead,emotionally,i never felt him so close,so near,so deep inside me.
How can i grieve someone that is so alive in me?
sometimes i'm near tears...but i can't cry.Since that dark 25th,i only cried 3 times,and although i know,althouigh i wish to cry,and need it,something is blocking my emotions.Have no idea what it is,if it is good or bad,although sometimes i think it can't be,others i think it is because it is helping me not loosing control so i can look after my mom,that will have another surgery in a week from tomorrow(monday).

Please excuse me for this very long post.Iam trying to shorten it as much as possible.

I did think,lots of times,in going to a therapist.But i changed my mind completly when i realised that i would have to talk about Michael.
Only a fan understands another fan.
How can i go to a therapist and say that missing Michael is killing me a little everyday?How can i say that music died to me,and that since june 25yh 2009,all my wishes of going to concerts,died?How can i go to a therapist,and say that Michael saved my life?and so many other questions....

There are only 2 therapists,that are of course fans as well,that i would go,and would love to open up without a problem.
One is our sweet Dianelesley.An amazing human being thaqt i love and admire very much,and that luckely to me,is a very dear friend of mine.
The other is a girl (whose nickname i will not say in respect for her),that is from Hland.Another amazing girl,that since day 1,foccused on others,like some people did.
I did as well,thinking it would help...It did a little...but it didn't make the pain go away as i was wishing.
To the eyes of a non-fan,my love for Michael is an obession,is crazy.
To the eyes of a fan,to my eyes,and also to God's(i think),my love for Michael means gratitude,means compassion,admiration,tenderness,(me and him have so much in common my God!so so much...his childwood...his relatioship with his father...and so on...)...

so yes....i think i shared the most important maybe...if i had to say everything i would never end i fear.
And yes...i struggle with myself everyday to get up,i fight with myself when i have to go to a party,because my first reaction is always"no...i don't want to go.lots of people,lots of noise...)ometimes i end up enjoying myself,others,i am so tired in the end that i wish i never went.

So i ask...what can i do to help myself?No mj fans here...can't really go anywhere...
what other choice do i have,but to give time to time,and in between see how things go?I need to be strong for my Mother...

Lainy

Hi everyone.
Just wondering if anyone suffers from bad anxiety/depression like I do?
I would love to hear your tips and experiences.
L.O.V.E

Yes I suffer from anxiety for one year and this has hindered me a lot in my personal and professional life, I was almost depressed. I'd sought professional help but only God helped me truly. I have difficulty leaving home and... well, sometimes I feel like I'm isolating myself in the world. That has changed lately and I hope it'll be ok one day. The important thing is you fight it and help yourself. Overcoming the traumas is a great step.

You're not alone :)

ChrissyBrown

I suffer anxiety. My depression stopped 2yrs ago. Have suffered from about the age of 6 I'm now 25. I wasn't diagnosed with depression about 5 or 6yrs ago. Tried I think 4 or 5 anti depressants only 1 worked (can't remember name) then was prescribed Stilnox for sleeping. I was coping really well with taking both till end of 06 had been on them for about 3 months. I broke up with bf start of December which was fine but then started dating a friends ex Christmas Day. I was happy & my mum was happy for the 1st time in a really long time but my ex & my friend who's ex I was dating didn't like me dating. I overdosed on the 30th on both tablets then again on the morning of NYE.
Nothing happened. Went NYE fireworks with bf. Wasn't until 3 months later I blacked out in friends car while going for a drive. Was taken to emergency & had a zillion blood tests. I learn't that I had poisoned my blood I now needed transfusions & blood tests until I was clear. I was told to stop taking tablets I stopped taking the anti-depressant but stayed on still on stilnox till mid Oct that year I was addicted. I have never over dosed again :)
I lost my grandmother in 98 which turned my mum's life upside down.
99 my best friend was murdered
from 2001-2008 Had multiple deaths every year
This year lost a uncle & one of the children I nanny.
Lost about 60 people since 98
Although some didn't help with depression it made me stronger.
My anxiety comes from having a condition i don't know what it is & haven't been diagnosed yet. I have sensitivity to light, sound & smell. A dr told me I could have Tourette Syndrome but has not been determined. It frustrates me to the point I break down in tears. At home we have blinds down mostly due the fact I hate the sunshine I'm ok walking in the sun though. We sit in the dark a lot. Sound is the worst though. Hate the sound of vaccum cleaner, any type of banging knocking, loud voices/music, humming sounds,washing machine etc. There are so many sounds that will cause a migraine. My mum wears hearing aids but when she's not wearing them she of course speaks loud which i can't stand. its difficult. My senstivity is getting worse though I used to be able make sounds & vaccum but now can't even stand myself making sound.
I have earplugs but they only block out so much. I used to pray that I was deaf.
I failed yr10 & repeated then yr11 I attempted about 4 times. I couldn't cope due to my concentration. I tried distance education but I found studying at home hard due to no interaction. My mum as much as I love her puts me down by saying stuff like "I pity the guy who gets you". "What will you be like in your own home?". It hurts my feelings & hear this every day. I want to be normal whatever that is. I hate the smell of tea it make me very nauseous & certain plants/flowers.
I'm a nanny to 5 families & nearly 40 children ranging in age from almost 2-11.
People say aren't the children loud. Don't they make sound & stuff. Yeah they do but the older ones know my sensitivity to sound. Babies crying don't bother me. Children laughing don't bother me. Children's voices & laughter are the greatest sounds to me. Its so hard to explain & many people laugh or make fun including my mum.
I want to study so badly but a class is a distraction & home I feel lonely. I'm so stuck.
I love being a nanny but once the 2yo's reach 5 I won't be needed although there is a baby due sometime next year but that is just one.
I want another job but as what or where. Everyone's at me to find a job. I tell them you find me a job where there is not much light, no loud noises & no smells. The best I got was a convent lol (I'm not catholic). I'm looking into a police check though as there is a aged care place a 5min walk away & a larger aged care place about 10min drive.
I love the elderly & I know they drink tea a lot & kinda smell but I don't have many choices & this will only be voluntary. To get a job now days you need a certificate which is pretty much impossible for me. My friends from primary school are all successful & some friends from high school. during high school I wanted to be a dancer but my knees didn't think so then a stable hand but my hayfever didn't think so. I applied for the navy in 03 but failed medical of course. I go with the flow & feel like i'll be stuck at home forever. Have been told to see a psychologist but they that only seems to make things worse just by bringing up my past. I'm not depressed just anxious cause i'm not sure where i'm going to end up.

karom

Consulting detective

I don't know if I suffer of it...I don't think so but I've been depressed recently...for the first time in my life and it sucks:depressed:

ForeverTheKing

severly depressed right now. Fiance moved me away from family and has decided that he wants to leave me stranded so now im homeless trying to find a way to get back home which happens to be thousands of miles away...just lost, depressed, upset, and whatever other word u can think of...

ForeverTheKing

thanks i need all that i can get...cant sleep cant eat im just lost right now im crying now and dont even know why the hell im crying i just start crying its crazy i just want to go home

karom

Consulting detective

^ I know what you mean...today during church I could barely keep my tears

VictorMacBernik

Proud Member

i am disabled in wheel chair, my life is sometimes hard and i am some others illness, but my wife and my family are here for me, my dog and cat too, and Mike,my Mike since 1983, I know that he is here with me, and I love to talk with fans from all around the world :)

Severus Snape

I get anxiety, and I find chewing gum helps. I've been to the counseling, meds, etc. All that stuff is pure baloney IMO. I find I thrive best without it.

DarthKathyGrint

Since i moved from Sweden to Chile, i have been pretty depressed, trying to deal with my new life and not having my boyfriend and awesome pals around me. *le sigh* Still working on it.

the human nature tendency to not take another's depression seriously, is frightening. i heard a commercial on the radio, saying 'how can the african american community alert itself to mental problems and depression? they should talk more about it'. and i thought..not just that community, but any...people DO talk about it, but others don't necessarily take it seriously. i don't know if they can handle it. did you hear of the american football player, who shot himself in the head, two days ago? nobody saw it coming. they said he was 'in good spirits'. that's a cliche, by now. when you see someone smiling..are they really smiling? could you handle it, if you knew of another person being depressed? or is your own life too complicated to handle someone else's depression? and how close do you know if that person is to suicide? there is no condemnation, here, to people who have complicated lives. i am just saying, i wonder if this problem can ever truly get solved. i don't think the government commercials that i hear on the radio, really get it. i think people ARE trying to speak up about their depression. it's just that others may not really know the language of another..even if they, themselves are depressed.
something to pray about

i'm glad the internet is here, though. gives you an outlet where you can hear the silence, not hear someone scream back at you, if you wish, and get it all out in the open with time to spare. it's my hope that people come on here, and come along with a way to look at these posts carefully, with time to spare, and maybe say one thing that will help another on here. and the more posts that someone, who is depressed, posts on here, the more i hope there is a zeroing in on that person, to help them. and the more depressed someone is, the more i hope they post on this thread and use it as an outlet, and not be ashamed of getting the message out on what is truly getting to them. and i hope that no one makes anyone else feel ashamed of what they posted.

Last edited:

jemini515

^^ Thank you for posting that. I think people often think "what does that person have to be depressed about? They have it all." The football player who committed suicide is a good example -- he may have a dream career, but we can't judge a person's mental health from that detail.

We definitely need to pay attention to our family members and friends and network. I don't know why people overlook obvious symptoms... either they are oblivious, wrapped up in their own world, don't want another person's drama, or maybe fear that by getting involved they could somehow be blamed or feel guilty if the person does hurt themselves? "I asked my neighbor for a favor, she said later." I just don't know.

MJJ_luv1991

Some members of my family actually knew that football player. They were neighbors of his, my cousin works for his dad, and my cousins went to school with him. They grew up together. My grandparents also met him when they would go down to visit.
I was so devastated to hear of his death when my mom called me about it. We had a personal connection to him, even though I never had the privilege of meeting him.

It's devastating, and I hope and pray that his parents and my cousins will get through this. :(

EDIT: I heard today that he was pretty depressed after his knee surgery last month, and while playing dominoes with some friends he said something like, "Maybe I'll just kill myself," but no one took him seriously because they didn't know him to be like that.

Last edited:

Erandi

Proud Member

^^ Thank you for posting that. I think people often think "what does that person have to be depressed about? They have it all." The football player who committed suicide is a good example -- he may have a dream career, but we can't judge a person's mental health from that detail.

We definitely need to pay attention to our family members and friends and network. I don't know why people overlook obvious symptoms... either they are oblivious, wrapped up in their own world, don't want another person's drama, or maybe fear that by getting involved they could somehow be blamed or feel guilty if the person does hurt themselves? "I asked my neighbor for a favor, she said later." I just don't know.

Unfortunately, that's true in most cases...

helena22

the human nature tendency to not take another's depression seriously, is frightening. i heard a commercial on the radio, saying 'how can the african american community alert itself to mental problems and depression? they should talk more about it'. and i thought..not just that community, but any...people DO talk about it, but others don't necessarily take it seriously. i don't know if they can handle it. did you hear of the american football player, who shot himself in the head, two days ago? nobody saw it coming. they said he was 'in good spirits'. that's a cliche, by now. when you see someone smiling..are they really smiling? could you handle it, if you knew of another person being depressed? or is your own life too complicated to handle someone else's depression? and how close do you know if that person is to suicide? there is no condemnation, here, to people who have complicated lives. i am just saying, i wonder if this problem can ever truly get solved. i don't think the government commercials that i hear on the radio, really get it. i think people ARE trying to speak up about their depression. it's just that others may not really know the language of another..even if they, themselves are depressed.
something to pray about

i'm glad the internet is here, though. gives you an outlet where you can hear the silence, not hear someone scream back at you, if you wish, and get it all out in the open with time to spare. it's my hope that people come on here, and come along with a way to look at these posts carefully, with time to spare, and maybe say one thing that will help another on here. and the more posts that someone, who is depressed, posts on here, the more i hope there is a zeroing in on that person, to help them. and the more depressed someone is, the more i hope they post on this thread and use it as an outlet, and not be ashamed of getting the message out on what is truly getting to them. and i hope that no one makes anyone else feel ashamed of what they posted.
Thanks a lot william (I do remember your previous screen name!) Very compassionate and thoughtful as always. I'm sure your words here can help many others coming to this thread, whether they post something or not.

Kargo

I know how you feel, Im unemployed at the moment and single and theres times when I feel so depressed and down. Most of my friends have now travelled away to University and I can feel really alone at times. But usually all I have to do to feel better is play some music from Michael, like magic it lifts my spirits.

angelofinnocence

something to pray about

:clapping:

sweet princess

I've been in and out of depression since Feb. 2004. My best friend Seth was accused of 'indesent liberites', he was convicted on sept 15th, 2004. He was released on Jan. 23th, 2006, he's now a level 3 sex offender. I feel guilty, i really wish that he would've waited for me.

thrillerchild

Proud Member

My depression comes in waves but the main thing for me is my anxiety :( I'm in a depressive dip a the moment through a lot of person stuff happening and it just gets to the point where you just wanna leave. I have in the past created little scars just for the hell of it so I have something else to concentrate on. I know I shouldn't do it but I sometimes catch myself off guard by just scratching an itchy spot but I sometimes continue just to leave a scar to pick at (graphic I know but that's how it is for me). This is the first time I've publically admitted this on a forum. I become withdrawn a lot sitting alone in my room watching tv or like last night standing in my garden alone in the rain (any weather really I don't care).

MJsBollywoodGirl7

Unfortunately, that's true in most cases...

I so agree

Especially since I am still trying to get over this depression I am still very much in over Michael. And my mother just doesn't want to get or understands why I am the way I am now. I practically have all the symptoms of depression. And she just doesn't want to get why I am the way I am now. There have been a couple of times where she has angrily told me to get over it. And I just can't seem to get over it. How can I get over someone that I had spent nearly my entire life loving. I still don't even dare tell her about my 3 suicide attempts. Though there were quite a few times where I almost did wanted tell her. But what is the point when I am just so sick and tired enough as it is. Of always telling her it is all because of what had happen last year is why I am like this now. And before June 25th 2009 I never not even once had a reason to feel depressed. :(

Erandi

Proud Member

I so agree

Especially since I am still trying to get over this depression I am still very much in over Michael. And my mother just doesn't want to get or understands why I am the way I am now. I practically have all the symptoms of depression. And she just doesn't want to get why I am the way I am now. There have been a couple of times where she has angrily told me to get over it. And I just can't seem to get over it. How can I get over someone that I had spent nearly my entire life loving. I still don't even dare tell her about my 3 suicide attempts. Though there were quite a few times where I almost did wanted tell her. But what is the point when I am just so sick and tired enough as it is. Of always telling her it is all because of what had happen last year is why I am like this now. And before June 25th 2009 I never not even once had a reason to feel depressed. :(

Awww :hug:
I'm sorry to hear that your mom doesn't understand you! And I know it's even harder when someone that close to us doesn't get what we are going through. But, please, don't try to harm yourself in any way anymore. Just think that Michael wouldn't want that. He would want us to keep on smiling ("Smile, though your heart is aching..."...boy, that song always makes me feel good), live our lives the best we can and try helping others as much as we can.

thrillerchild and sweet princess, :hug:

sweet princess

My depression comes in waves but the main thing for me is my anxiety :( I'm in a depressive dip a the moment through a lot of person stuff happening and it just gets to the point where you just wanna leave. I have in the past created little scars just for the hell of it so I have something else to concentrate on. I know I shouldn't do it but I sometimes catch myself off guard by just scratching an itchy spot but I sometimes continue just to leave a scar to pick at (graphic I know but that's how it is for me). This is the first time I've publically admitted this on a forum. I become withdrawn a lot sitting alone in my room watching tv or like last night standing in my garden alone in the rain (any weather really I don't care).

awwwwwwwww,hugs to you my dear. I know how you feel, I've been so stressed over my mother not helping with my siblings..Sometimes I just wish she would leave me alone.

Scary13

I deal with bouts of depression and anxiety. In recent years, I've been able to keep it under control. But in June, I my grandma passed away suddenly and it totally devastated me. Over the past 3 months, it's been very hard. I had distractions to keep me occupied, like work. But in mid August, the work has stopped. I am on the job search again. Since I am not employed at the moment, all these motions of grief have hit me. On top of losing my grandma, I'm frustrated with my current situation in life. I have a college degree that has failed me. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in college over 4 years ago. I've only managed to get a couple of temporary jobs, but I am really looking for something more permanent. This economy has not helped at all. I always intended to go back to get additional education because I did have other aspirations, careerwise. But life had other plans for me. I've been doing everything to overcome these obstacles that life throws at me. It seems like it never ends. I do my best to stay positive, but it is very difficult to stay that way after so many disappointments.

angelofinnocence

I deal with bouts of depression and anxiety. In recent years, I've been able to keep it under control. But in June, I my grandma passed away suddenly and it totally devastated me. Over the past 3 months, it's been very hard. I had distractions to keep me occupied, like work. But in mid August, the work has stopped. I am on the job search again. Since I am not employed at the moment, all these motions of grief have hit me. On top of losing my grandma, I'm frustrated with my current situation in life. I have a college degree that has failed me. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in college over 4 years ago. I've only managed to get a couple of temporary jobs, but I am really looking for something more permanent. This economy has not helped at all. I always intended to go back to get additional education because I did have other aspirations, careerwise. But life had other plans for me. I've been doing everything to overcome these obstacles that life throws at me. It seems like it never ends. I do my best to stay positive, but it is very difficult to stay that way after so many disappointments.

I'm sorry to hear things have not been going so well for you. I know that it can be very hard to keep positive if life keeps kicking you in the teeth. But know this too shall pass. x

Hocus

*Bump!*
Just made my first appointment with a therapist... Ah well, let's see where we go from there. Still not sure it will help, but perhaps I can learn how to deal with the pain better. Keeps coming with ups and downs... Hopefully I'll only need a few sessions to feel better...
Hugs for everyone here! :group:

Lorraine

Proud Member

^ I hope all goes well and works out for you.. :hug:

That goes to anyone else in here that suffers... :(

jemini515

*Bump!*
Just made my first appointment with a therapist... Ah well, let's see where we go from there. Still not sure it will help, but perhaps I can learn how to deal with the pain better. Keeps coming with ups and downs... Hopefully I'll only need a few sessions to feel better...

Wishing you the very best with that! Very proud of you for setting it up. Hugs and love.

Erandi

Proud Member

*Bump!*

:huggy:

Sharlene

*Bump!*

I really wish you the best with your counselling :better: It's not easy living with anxiety or depression... And it's challenging to be "cured" from it... But like you said, as long as you're able to manage the pain better, things should only go uphill from here :)

Top Bottom