Artistic Decisions in Michael Jackson's Career That Are Questionable

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Here are some more:

The ‘Ben’ album cover that depicts a lot of rats (the early pressings of it).

Releasing ‘The Girl Is Mine’ as the lead single from the ‘Thriller’ album (which is one of the weakest songs from that album, melodically and lyrically).

The inclusion of the knocking sound right before the Eddie Van Halen’s guitar solo (in the ‘Beat It’ song).

The nearly one minute long and pointless ‘Black Or White’ spoken intro that has no connection at all with the song, and thus it sounds totally out of place.

His HIStory Statue floating down the Thames River (London), a move that was understandably viewed by people/media as haughty and egotistical.

His old hits from the ‘HIStory’ album (disc one) that are not placed in chronological order.

The exclusion of the ‘Smooth Criminal’ song from the disc one of the ‘HIStory’ album (a song that defined his story as an artist).

Michael Jackson uttering ‘Slash’ right before the guitar solo in the ‘Privacy’ song (Slash himself confirmed that he did not play guitar on that song).

Imagine Michael sitting on a stool, perhaps playing an instrument, with 3 or 4 other musicians sitting around. No gimmicks. No light show. No planes. No costumes. No getting out of breath.

Apparently, he thought that such a stripped down performance would confuse people about his already established, on stage dynamic image and persona.

But you could say that he did that to some extent: ‘Elizabeth, I Love You’ (1997), ‘You Were There’ (1989), ‘Gone Too Soon’ (1993) are for example three such performances.

Something I'll never understand was Michael's decision to include 'Come Together' instead of 'On the Line' on the HIStory album.

Michael Jackson had purchased ATV Music in 1985, and in 1995 Sony acquired a 50% stake in a combined ATV and Sony Music Publishing joint venture.

So, for symbolic reasons, he decided to include his cover version of the ‘Come Together’ song in the album’s second disc and specifically in the middle of that track list in order to denote that joint venture.

Besides, the mellifluous ‘On The Line’ song could not have fitted the aggressive and angry overall tone of the ‘HIStory’ album (hence its exclusion from the second disc).

rolerprod

Proud Member
Here are some more:

Releasing ‘The Girl Is Mine’ as the lead single from the ‘Thriller’ album (which is one of the weakest songs from that album, melodically and lyrically).
actually this was a very smart commercial decision to release the weakest song as a first single where theres a lot of hype built up already so the song is sure to be a commercial hit plus the fact it had a huge feature(at the time) on it and wait with the big singles for later.
im not sure how the singles from thriller performed at the charts but ill take a guess and say they all went number 1

8701girl

Proud Member
I dunno if I’d call it “wrong” or “bad,” but I wish Michael did an MTV Unplugged performance. Imagine a 30-minute acoustic set, in an intimate venue with a smaller crowd. I would’ve loved that.

Also, why did he never host (or perform on) SNL? Seems like that would be a great opportunity to show his comedy chops.

how i wish he was on snl that wouldve been a killer

king_of_style

Proud Member
They made me cringe. I was embarrassed for Mike, he is way above doing either of them. It made it look like he can’t act and maybe he shouldn’t.

I mean to be fair if you're putting Michael Jackson in your movie you're not really looking for an Oscar-worthy performance. You're probably looking to put him in front of a camera and have some fun. Also it gives you clout to say you convinced MJ to have a cameo in your movie and makes for a good story

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
Not doing a jacksons medley or at least switching up the songs sometime & adding dancing machine etc. Subbed other songs/change set list..... & a video for lady in my life like she's out of my life but way better!

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

8701girl

Proud Member
Hahaha I couldn't stop laughing at the sand comment mate

A lot of the points are subjective, for instance I love the RTT videos it's one of my favourite short films, the fact that it's ancient Egypt and it has an all black cast is beautifully subtle as well

I do agree Liberian Girl should have had a better music video, I get a kick out of it but the fact they spend most of the song talking over it annoys me.
Mike should have done a video on a beach somewhere, with him and a beautiful black actress and have him performing it to her as his love interest (although I imagine MJ would have been too shy for that) I believe a stronger video may have made this incredible song even more recognised by the ge t

I totally agree with this!

king_of_style

Proud Member
The nearly one minute long and pointless ‘Black Or White’ spoken intro that has no connection at all with the song, and thus it sounds totally out of place.

Yeah I agree with this, I get that it was Mac having fun but I think this is my least favorite part of the music video.

His HIStory Statue floating down the Thames River (London), a move that was understandably viewed by people/media as haughty and egotistical.

I think this is on par with the "hyperbaric chamber" story where Michael basically shot himself in the foot when it came to giving the tabloids more gossip to talk about.

His old hits from the ‘HIStory’ album (disc one) that are not placed in chronological order.

I'm gonna be honest, this gets me too. Especially for an album called HIStory, it's weird that they're not in chronological order.

Michael Jackson uttering ‘Slash’ right before the guitar solo in the ‘Privacy’ song (Slash himself confirmed that he did not play guitar on that song).

I always thought he says "Slide!" like you'd put something up against the strings to make the long drawn-out 'screaming' noises during the guitar solo.

So, for symbolic reasons, he decided to include his cover version of the ‘Come Together’ song in the album’s second disc and specifically in the middle of that track list in order to denote that joint venture.

Besides, the mellifluous ‘On The Line’ song could not have fitted the aggressive and angry overall tone of the ‘HIStory’ album (hence its exclusion from the second disc).

This is another one I agree with. I don't think "On The Line" should've been put on in place of "Come Together", if anything, it should've been put on in place of "Childhood". But that's an argument for another thread.

Maxym

The song "D.S.". I don't think such a personal revenge song ever was a great idea.

Also, all the 2008 versions on Thriller 25.

king_of_style

Proud Member
The song "D.S.". I don't think such a personal revenge song ever was a great idea.

Also, all the 2008 versions on Thriller 25.

I'd agree. I mean Sneddon may have had a vendetta against him but there was no need for the song to be so directed at him. I mean the dude was a DA, he had a job to do regardless of who he was supposed to investigate. Michael could've easily rewritten the song to not be so personal

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
In fairness, Sneddon was unnecessarily aggressive and ruthless, both in 1993 and in 2005. He has a history of being unnecessarily crude and crossing lines in cases he had to oversee. That’s why Michael never wrote a song about District Attorney Gil Garcetti — HE was just doing his job. Sneddon made it a mission to make Michael’s life hell.

dam2040

Proud Member
In fairness, Sneddon was unnecessarily aggressive and ruthless, both in 1993 and in 2005. He has a history of being unnecessarily crude and crossing lines in cases he had to oversee. That’s why Michael never wrote a song about District Attorney Gil Garcetti — HE was just doing his job. Sneddon made it a mission to make Michael’s life hell.

Sneddon was an absolute scum bag. Letting his own team get away with child molestation because he didnÂ’t feel like charging them & meeting with POI in the MJ cases on his own in car parks. Disgusting.

Hess

Proud Member
MJ should have taken more chances - mixed up his concerts more. Performed different songs once in a while.

It's weird how he was a true innovator - and still so conservative. His concerts would have been so much more interesting if it wasn't all the same.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Some more:

Michael Jackson’s decision to star in one of the worst films of all time (‘The Wiz’), a role which was also generally his biggest failure by that time.

The removal of these additional few lines from the second verse of the ‘Smooth Criminal’ song (without these lines the song feels incomplete).

The casual, yellow-red jacket (with the ‘M’ letter on it) that he wore during the ‘Thriller’ performance in certain BAD Tour concerts.

His violent behaviour (smashing windows, destroying a car, etc) during the ‘black panther’ segment of his ‘Black Or White’ music video.

The gun shot at the end of the ‘D.S.’ song (which clearly implied a death wish).

Bringing an entire tank on stage for his ‘Earth Song’ performance (HIStory Tour).

All these sound effects, which were taken from arcade video games, in his ‘Heartbreaker’ song (from 03:48 onwards).

The replacement of ‘Shout’ with the yawn-inducing ‘You Are My Life’ song (on the ‘Invincible’ album), which was not only a bad decision but also an inexplicable decision as well.

In general I think an amazing choice for Michael would've been to include "We've Had Enough" instead of "Cry" on the Invincible album. "We've Had Enough" has a much stronger message and in my mind has way more punch to its instrumentals. Especially in the wake of the September 11th attacks in the U.S., "We've Had Enough" would've been a much more timely and well-heard message than "Cry". "Cry" has the feel of "You Are Not Alone" when the moment really called for another "Earth Song". I think that had MJ released "We've Had Enough" on Invincible it would've become a #1 hit in many countries. Obviously if he had included "We've Had Enough" he would have to either change the ending of or swap out "Privacy" (since that song takes its outro directly from "We've Had Enough").

The record company insisted on including ‘Cry’, and actually that song was one of the very first songs which was finished for the album.

‘Cry’ appeared to have big chart and commercial potential because R. Kelly was a guaranteed hit-maker at the time given some of his big hits that he wrote, such as ‘You Are Not Alone’ (1995), ‘I Believe I Can Fly’ (1996), ‘I'm Your Angel’ (1998).

It goes without saying that leaving out ‘We've Had Enough’ from the album was another bad decision.

Ekans

Proud Member
Sticking to a 3 year old setlist for the first leg of Bad World Tour. It didn't even make sense to perform that amount of Jacksons songs since he was going on a solo tour and had already released a few albums alone.

Standing still for 3 minutes at the Superbowl performance. In a concert when you have approx. 2 hours to perform it's okay but when you've only got 12 minutes you better make better use of that time.

Lipsyncing to more than 10 year old vocals at HWT. He could have recorded some new vocals on studio if he wanted to lipsync.

Not including Someone Put Your Hand Out in Dangerous. That's one of his finest works and I'd say it's obvious single material.

Not performing Thriller at Victory Tour. Honestly there's no excuse for this, it was a major global hit at the time.

Always doing the exact same choreography for some songs. For instance, WBSS had been performed the exact same way in 84, 87, 88, 92 and 96. He could've changed up a bit. Being repetitive on tour has already been noted by others on this thread anyway.

Piek

Proud Member
Standing still for 3 minutes at the Superbowl performance. In a concert when you have approx. 2 hours to perform it's okay but when you've only got 12 minutes you better make better use of that time.

I think that's one of the coolest things he ever did. Because you need some balls to do that. Standing in front of one of the biggest audiences you can get (in the stadium and on tv), knowing that those people didn't come to that stadium or tune in on the tv to see you (these people mostly aren't fans), it takes an enormous amount of courage to jump on the stage and do nothing for 90 seconds. He dared to be that vulnerable – he dared to take that risk. And it worked. People in the satdium go crazy, and to this day critics describe Michael's performance as 're-defining' the Superbowl half time show. Now that's showmanship! I admire him a lot for it.

Piek

Proud Member
All these sound effects, which were taken from arcade video games, in his ‘Heartbreaker’ song (from 03:48 onwards).

O! I never knew those sounds were taken from arcade video games. That makes me appreciate the song a bit more, to be honest!

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
A few more:

The decision to speed up the ‘Dirty Diana’ song (rock songs should not be sped up).

Ending the first 2 songs on the ‘Dangerous’ album in the same way (with the sound of an explosion).

The first 15 seconds of the ‘Can't Let Her Get Away’ song (that serve no artistic purpose at all).

The minimal, candid interaction between Michael Jackson and his band during the HIStory Tour.

The decision to sing live these few lines of ‘In The Closet’, while lip-syncing the rest of the song (this made even more obvious and embarrassing his lip-syncing on the song).

Lipsyncing to more than 10 year old vocals at HWT. He could have recorded some new vocals on studio if he wanted to lipsync.

Especially, lip-syncing ‘Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough’ with this falsetto, studio singing voice that had been recorded nearly 15 years before the HIStory Tour.

Apparently, he realized that and he removed that song from the most part of the 1997 HIStory Tour leg.

Not performing Thriller at Victory Tour. Honestly there's no excuse for this, it was a major global hit at the time.

Michael Jackson was still a devoted Jehovah's Witness at the time of the Victory Tour (1984), so this did not allow him to perform his ‘Thriller’ song in that tour.

As soon as he disassociated himself from that religion, he was free to perform ‘Thriller’ (which he did from the BAD Tour onwards).

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
Sticking to a 3 year old setlist for the first leg of Bad World Tour. It didn't even make sense to perform that amount of Jacksons songs since he was going on a solo tour and had already released a few albums alone

I see why it annoys people but (controversial opinion) I love it!! Yokohama and Tokyo are two of my favourite concerts. I truly believe Mike improved on the Victory Tour with the 87 leg of the tour. His vocals, dancing, staging and Band were all better than with his brothers. I'd take any 87 show over any Victory show

dam2040

Proud Member
Yeah, that and the messiah sequence during Earth Song at the Brit Awards. Yeesh.

ItÂ’s theatre. Performance. A character.

Do you hold the same regard watching other stories, films, performances & plays? Or is your opinion formed because of the narrative the media added to the performance?

Anna

Staff
Well it’s easy to see and understand why he did the history statue thing when you put it all into context.
Oh, I understand why he did it... that doesn't mean it was a good idea.

It’s theatre. Performance. A character.

Do you hold the same regard watching other stories, films, performances & plays? Or is your opinion formed because of the narrative the media added to the performance?
I could not give less of a **** what the media thinks about anything Michael did.
It was not an actor playing a character in theatre or a film, you can't compare the two things. Fans can try to justify it as "just a performance" or "acting", but it was Michael Jackson choosing to show Michael Jackson in the role of a messiah. It felt incredibly cringey and arrogant to me and I think it was a poor choice.

king_of_style

Proud Member
Oh, I understand why he did it... that doesn't mean it was a good idea.

I could not give less of a **** what the media thinks about anything Michael did.
It was not an actor playing a character in theatre or a film, you can't compare the two things. Fans can try to justify it as "just a performance" or "acting", but it was Michael Jackson choosing to show Michael Jackson in the role of a messiah. It felt incredibly cringey and arrogant to me and I think it was a poor choice.

I think it's like those lines in his songs where he speaks from the point of view of God kind of, like in "You Are Not Alone" and "Cry". Even though he doesn't mean, "I, Michael Joe Jackson, am God incarnate and will personally answer all your prayers", those lines should've been rewritten to not sound as arrogant. I know that at least during the HIStory era he was playing into the media's narrative a bit, but I honestly think that there are times when he shot himself in the foot.

EDIT: Just remembered that, funnily enough, both "You Are Not Alone" and "Cry" were written by R. Kelly (who himself had a bit of a cult of personality going on with underage fans) which means at the end of the day that maybe it would've been for the best had MJ distanced himself from Kelly

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Fans can try to justify it as "just a performance" or "acting", but it was Michael Jackson choosing to show Michael Jackson in the role of a messiah. It felt incredibly cringey and arrogant to me and I think it was a poor choice.

Especially, the moment from that performance where people and children around him want to touch him because this would supposedly cure them.

Another clear example of his arrogance (again from the HIStory era) is his ‘HIStory’ song.

In this song, Michael Jackson essentially puts himself in the same league as all these great historic pioneers of the past that the song refers to.

I think it's like those lines in his songs where he speaks from the point of view of God kind of, like in "You Are Not Alone" and "Cry". Even though he doesn't mean, "I, Michael Joe Jackson, am God incarnate and will personally answer all your prayers", those lines should've been rewritten to not sound as arrogant. I know that at least during the HIStory era he was playing into the media's narrative a bit, but I honestly think that there are times when he shot himself in the foot.

EDIT: Just remembered that, funnily enough, both "You Are Not Alone" and "Cry" were written by R. Kelly (who himself had a bit of a cult of personality going on with underage fans) which means at the end of the day that maybe it would've been for the best had MJ distanced himself from Kelly

There is also the example of the ‘One More Chance’ song.

‘One More Chance’ was co-written and was co-produced by R. Kelly.

But given R. Kelly’s highly publicized case in 2002 (of child sex charges), it was unwise of Michael Jackson to include this song on his ‘Number Ones’ greatest hits collection album (2003), and especially as the lead single of that album.

analogue

Proud Member
Given that Michael was the victim of false allegations I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to give R.Kelly the benefit of the doubt. If he even knew about the allegations against R.Kelly at all.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
4 of the 8 songs on James Brown's Payback album end the same way, with a "woooooo" sound.

Just because other artists did similar things, this does not necessarily make it an artistically good decision for Michael Jackson.

For instance, James Brown falls down on his knees and a member from his band helps him to stand up again (in his ‘Please, Please, Please’ performance), which is a very contrived, insincere and staged act.

Michael Jackson also falls down on his knees and a member from his band helps him to stand up again (in his ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance at the 1988 Grammy Awards), which is also a very contrived, insincere and staged act.

Jackson Rules

Proud Member
The live performances of the song "Dangerous" are boring and overrated to me.
I don't understand why he decided to put the "Smooth Criminal" part.
But the 1993 live performances are not that bad (especially the "I can not sleep alone tonight..." part)

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Just because other artists did similar things, this does not necessarily make it an artistically good decision for Michael Jackson.

For instance, James Brown falls down on his knees and a member from his band helps him to stand up again (in his ‘Please, Please, Please’ performance), which is a very contrived, insincere and staged act.

Michael Jackson also falls down on his knees and a member from his band helps him to stand up again (in his ‘Man In The Mirror’ performance at the 1988 Grammy Awards), which is also a very contrived, insincere and staged act.

What does this even mean? James was one of Mike's idols, he did a JB imitation for the Jackson 5 Motown audition. Mike appeared on stage at a 1983 James Brown/B.B. King concert. Prince happened to be there too. Mike got things from other singers like Shamone (Mavis Staples) & hee hee hee (Stevie Wonder). The way I see it, Michael Jackson had a successful entertainment career doing what he did. You didn't and just talking nonsense like an armchair quarterback. You said The Girl Is Mine was a mistake as a first single, yet it went to #2 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the R&B chart in the USA.

I'm sure a lot of singers would like to have a "mistake" like that. Also if you knew anything about radio in the US during that time, there were a lot of songs with a similar sound to The Girl Is Mine that were popular before & after it. It was called light rock or adult contemporary. Unofficially it was also known as Westcoast, because a lot of the same session musicians played on some of the light rock records such as Jay Graydon & members of Toto. Even if it wasn't a 1st single, many radio stations would have played it anyway since Paul McCartney was on it. Paul was still popular at the time and got radio airplay in the USA. Just like a lot of radio stations in the US (especially R&B stations) played Jermaine's Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' which was never released as a single here. So why not put The Girl Is Mine out 1st and make money on it. If he waited to release it as a 4th or 5th single, it would have already been played out on the radio and wouldn't have been as successful.

Mikky Dee

Staff

Michael wasn't a narcissist. He was an empath. I think his actions were always misinterpreted by some as trying to show himself as a messiah; but I believe instead he thought of himself as a universal father, who genuinely felt that with his voice and his platform, he could do something for the world and its children. His "arms outstretched" pose signifies a spiritual person who wanted to give love (and assistance) and receive love. It's as simple as that for me. I never saw it as cringey or arrogant at all. I was always in tune with what he was trying to demonstrate. He used that same pose very often his performances - rather than being contrived, or forced, it always seemed to be a natural expression of what he was feeling, in his soul. I think when his passions rose to the surface in performances, they came out of his body in that "messiah" pose, which showed his openness and the duality of both his strength and his vulnerability.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
But the 1993 live performances are not that bad (especially the "I can not sleep alone tonight..." part)

It would be interesting to see the naked version of his ‘Dangerous’ live performance from his 1995 ‘One Night Only’ HBO Special rehearsals.

According to descriptions from his entourage, that version of his ‘Dangerous’ live performance is very different and captivating.

What does this even mean? James was one of Mike's idols, he did a JB imitation for the Jackson 5 Motown audition. Mike appeared on stage at a 1983 James Brown/B.B. King concert. Prince happened to be there too. Mike got things from other singers like Shamone (Mavis Staples) & hee hee hee (Stevie Wonder). The way I see it, Michael Jackson had a successful entertainment career doing what he did. You didn't and just talking nonsense like an armchair quarterback. You said The Girl Is Mine was a mistake as a first single, yet it went to #2 on the Hot 100 and #1 on the R&B chart in the USA.

I'm sure a lot of singers would like to have a "mistake" like that. Also if you knew anything about radio in the US during that time, there were a lot of songs with a similar sound to The Girl Is Mine that were popular before & after it. It was called light rock or adult contemporary. Unofficially it was also known as Westcoast, because a lot of the same session musicians played on some of the light rock records such as Jay Graydon & members of Toto. Even if it wasn't a 1st single, many radio stations would have played it anyway since Paul McCartney was on it. Paul was still popular at the time and got radio airplay in the USA. Just like a lot of radio stations in the US (especially R&B stations) played Jermaine's Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin' which was never released as a single here. So why not put The Girl Is Mine out 1st and make money on it. If he waited to release it as a 4th or 5th single, it would have already been played out on the radio and wouldn't have been as successful.

It has been said that the reason was because ‘The Girl Is Mine’ was the first song that they finished (for the album), so they released it as the lead single because that gave them some more time so as to put the finishing touches to the rest songs of the album.

Despite the lead single’s ephemeral chart success at the time, in retrospect it is viewed as a bad decision.

Generally, the criterion for a song to be released as the lead single (from a given album) is that it should be one of the strongest songs from the album, and it should also set the tone for the entire album that is due for release soon (‘The Girl Is Mine’ did not fit that criterion).

Michael wasn't a narcissist. He was an empath. I think his actions were always misinterpreted by some as trying to show himself as a messiah; but I believe instead he thought of himself as a universal father, who genuinely felt that with his voice and his platform, he could do something for the world and its children. His "arms outstretched" pose signifies a spiritual person who wanted to give love (and assistance) and receive love. It's as simple as that for me. I never saw it as cringey or arrogant at all. I was always in tune with what he was trying to demonstrate. He used that same pose very often his performances - rather than being contrived, or forced, it always seemed to be a natural expression of what he was feeling, in his soul. I think when his passions rose to the surface in performances, they came out of his body in that "messiah" pose, which showed his openness and the duality of both his strength and his vulnerability.

If he was not a narcissist, then how do you explain the fact that he paid artists (painters, sculptors, etc) to make for him countless portraits, oil paintings and murals of himself?

Such as, the one by American painter David Nordahl that depicts the singer as Michelangelo surrounded by cherubs.

Or, these portraits made by American portrait artist Ralph Wolfe Cowan that depict the singer as a king wearing a suit of armour.

These were not just a sign of the singer’s narcissism but also of his vanity, as well.

Anna

Staff
If it was just the pose there would be no issue here. But he had all the distressed people come up to touch him for relief as he stands there in white, lit up, with his arms outstretched. I mean, come on...

If he was not a narcissist, then how do you explain the fact that he paid artists (painters, sculptors, etc) to make for him countless portraits, oil paintings and murals of himself?

Such as, the one by American painter David Nordahl that depicts the singer as Michelangelo surrounded by cherubs.

Or, these portraits made by American portrait artist Ralph Wolfe Cowan that depict the singer as a king wearing a suit of armour.

These were not just a sign of the singerÂ’s narcissism but also of his vanity, as well.
Yeah, that shit was weird. It made me really uncomfortable when I was younger.
I wouldn't say he was a narcissist, he had a lot of empathy. But I think he had delusions of grandeur and he saw himself as some kind of saviour of children and the downtrodden.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
It has been said that the reason was because ‘The Girl Is Mine’ was the first song that they finished (for the album), so they released it as the lead single because that gave them some more time so as to put the finishing touches to the rest songs of the album.

Despite the lead single’s ephemeral chart success at the time, in retrospect it is viewed as a bad decision.

Generally, the criterion for a song to be released as the lead single (from a given album) is that it should be one of the strongest songs from the album, and it should also set the tone for the entire album that is due for release soon (‘The Girl Is Mine’ did not fit that criterion).
By who? I never heard this before. I have rarely seen The Girl Is Mine mentioned anywhere. I've seen magazines saying Ebony And Ivory by Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder was a bad song and comedians making fun of it. Anyway like I said it would have been played on the radio anyway since Paul McCartney was on it, single or not. At least in the USA. Back then R&B, AOR, and Top 40 radio would play album tracks. Years later, after conglomerates like Clear Channel bought up a lot of commercial radio stations, this was largely stopped. Also does I Just Can't Stop Loving You represent what was on Bad? It was the first single. Black Or White does not really represent Dangerous either which is half New Jack Swing including the title song. So again you're talking nonsense.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
“The Girl is Mine” was the first song recorded and finished for Thriller, that much is true. When it was released as a single in mid-October 1982, though, the album was about 60% done, specifically all of Side A and a couple songs on Side B. Its position as the lead single had nothing to do with when it was finished. According to Michael’s autobiography, it went out first because of its star power. (Plus, as some critics at the time observed, it was borderline groundbreaking to hear a song in which a Black man and a White man battled for the same woman.)

This guy lol

Ekans

Proud Member

The 1993 version was indeed waay better than the 1995 version.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
By who? I never heard this before. I have rarely seen The Girl Is Mine mentioned anywhere. I've seen magazines saying Ebony And Ivory by Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder was a bad song and comedians making fun of it. Anyway like I said it would have been played on the radio anyway since Paul McCartney was on it, single or not. At least in the USA. Back then R&B, AOR, and Top 40 radio would play album tracks. Years later, after conglomerates like Clear Channel bought up a lot of commercial radio stations, this was largely stopped. Also does I Just Can't Stop Loving You represent what was on Bad? It was the first single. Black Or White does not really represent Dangerous either which is half New Jack Swing including the title song. So again you're talking nonsense.

Only 2 out of his 7 adult albums have lead singles that are not representative of their respective albums, i.e., ‘The Girl Is Mine’ (from the ‘Thriller’ album) and ‘I Just Can't Stop Loving You’ (from the ‘BAD’ album), the rest 5 lead singles are representative:

‘Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough’ is an up-tempo, dance song with disco elements, so it represents the ‘Off The Wall’ album.

‘Black Or White’ is an up-tempo, dance song that touches upon racial/social themes, so it represents the ‘Dangerous’ album (given the album’s structure, even if a new jack swing song was released as a lead single it would not really have been representative because half of the album’s songs are not new jack swing songs).

‘Scream’ is an up-tempo, dance, aggressive and angry song, so it represents the ‘HIStory’ album.

‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ is an up-tempo, dance song with a dark theme, so it represents the ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ album.

‘You Rock My World’ is an up-tempo, R&B song with dance elements, so it represents the ‘Invincible’ album (even if they released ‘Unbreakable’ as the lead single, as the original plan demanded, this song would also have been representative of the album).

Nite Line

Proud Member
Albums:
- Working Day and Night and Get On The Floor should have been released as singles. They were both potential top 10 hits, at least.
- The Girl Is Mine doesnÂ’t work as duet between McCartney and Michael. Either it should have been a solo song or a duet with an artist that was closer to Michael in age.
- Thriller should have had another song. Behind the Mask, Got The Hots maybe.
- Moonwalker Smooth Criminal version should have been released on the Bad album. It makes the song less repetitive.
- Someone Put Your Hand Out and She Got It have been released on Dangerous in place of CanÂ’t Let Her Get Away & She Drives Me Wild.
- Gone Too Soon is a wonderful song but it should have been a one off single, in stead of being released on the Dangerous album.
- Come Together is a boring song that sounds way out of place on History album. Also, Smile felt out of place on the album. Morphine and In The Back should have been on the album in their place.
- Even though I like most songs on Invincible, it feels over the place. ItÂ’s obvious that MichaelÂ’s heart wasnÂ’t in it.
- Some of MichaelÂ’s songs, especially on the later albums were way too long. Not ever song had to be 5-6 minutes long.
- MichaelÂ’s latter albums repeated the same formula. Opening the album with an uptempo song, one rock song and one social anthem song on the album.

Live Performances:
- Michael was a genius when it came to his dance moves and outfits. But he was no genius when it came to his set lists for his tours. He performed the same bloody songs each time. No surprise one off performance of a rare song or a non single. Just the same hits again and again.
- And his performances of a lot of his songs were the same each damn tour. Like for Beat It, he used the same boring cherry picker entrance for three consecutive tours and was planning on doing it again for This Is It. For She’s Out Of My Life, he did the same “can I come down there” thing in the second verse before hugging a female fan for four consecutive tours.
- MichaelÂ’s singing style became too aggressive in later years and that didnÂ’t always translate well to his live performances. I struggle to understand sometimes what he is saying when he is singing Working Day and Night and Dirty Diana. Maybe thatÂ’s because English isnÂ’t my first language.
- Speaking of WDAN live, what a boring performance. Instead of wasting over 10 minutes, Michael should have cut the time to like 4-5 minutes and performed another song or two.
- Michael had no excuse for lip syncing as much as he did during the 90s. I understand that his voice was damaged during the History Tour, but what excuse did he have for lip syncing the entire Super Bowl 93 performance?
- The performance of Earth Song during the History tour was embarrassing and cringeworthy. A kid giving the flower to a soldier who comes out of the tank with a gun and the whole fake crying. Lol Embarrassing!
- And letÂ’s not even talk about the Brit Awards 96 performance of Earth Song. It was extremely arrogant. People will say that Michael wasnÂ’t arrogant at all, but there is no way that a person who was as successful as him wasnÂ’t arrogant even in the slightest. ItÂ’s natural for successful people to be arrogant. And Michael was arrogant as well, if not consciously than subconsciously.

Last edited:

AdamBa17

Proud Member
- The performance of Earth Song during the History was embarrassing and cringeworthy. A kid giving the flower to a soldier who comes out of the tank with a gun and the whole fake crying. Lol Embarrassing!

I agree with your whole post, but especially this bit. I've never been able to sit through this song live lol, except the WMA performance, but even then it's only for the short bit of dancing

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
Not so much a “decision” as a common talking point among fans:

ThereÂ’s a zero percent chance Michael was suffering from laryngitis during the HIStory Tour. Not only are there no credible sources (that IÂ’m aware of) who have backed up that claim, but singing with laryngitis is dangerous and risks permanent damage to your vocal cords. Michael canceled a couple Bad Tour dates because of laryngitis in 1988, but weÂ’re supposed to believe that he endured it for the majority of the HIStory Tour? No chance.

Snek

Proud Member

ThereÂ’s a zero percent chance Michael was suffering from laryngitis during the HIStory Tour. Not only are there no credible sources (that IÂ’m aware of) who have backed up that claim, but singing with laryngitis is dangerous and risks permanent damage to your vocal cords. Michael canceled a couple Bad Tour dates because of laryngitis in 1988, but weÂ’re supposed to believe that he endured it for the majority of the HIStory Tour? No chance.

He does complain of laryngitis at around 6:10 in this video:

This was early on in the HIStory tour in Thailand. So he likely did have the condition and was finding the recovery tough. But I do agree with you, thereÂ’s no way that he had it for the duration of the tour.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member

This was early on in the HIStory tour in Thailand. So he likely did have the condition and was finding the recovery tough. But I do agree with you, thereÂ’s no way that he had it for the duration of the tour.

I had no idea this existed — thank you so much!

This is interesting, because the Thailand press conference clip wouldÂ’ve taken place circa November 1996, at a time when (in my opinion) MichaelÂ’s vocals were fine. Nothing spectacular, but all of the footage we have of the 1996 leg (e.g., Bucharest, Seoul, Tunis, Auckland) sounds good enough. The vocal decline didnÂ’t kick in until the 1997 leg (e.g., Munich, Copenhagen, Gothenburg). Seems like people saw this clip and ran with it.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I had no idea this existed — thank you so much!

This is interesting, because the Thailand press conference clip would’ve taken place circa November 1996, at a time when (in my opinion) Michael’s vocals were fine. Nothing spectacular, but all of the footage we have of the 1996 leg (e.g., Bucharest, Seoul, Tunis, Auckland) sounds good enough. The vocal decline didn’t kick in until the 1997 leg (e.g., Munich, Copenhagen, Gothenburg). Seems like people saw this clip and ran with it.

What? you think so? Michael's voice during many of the 96 concerts sounded very damaged, screechy and bad like in Seoul, Malaysia, Brunei etc. Gothenburg and Copenhagen probably contains his best live vocals on the HIStory Tour especially on J5 medley, Billie Jean and YANA. Munich is an outlier tho..

Anna

Staff
- The performance of Earth Song during the History tour was embarrassing and cringeworthy. A kid giving the flower to a soldier who comes out of the tank with a gun and the whole fake crying. Lol Embarrassing!
Yes! I legit can't even watch that whole bit.

Nite Line

Proud Member
I agree with your whole post, but especially this bit. I've never been able to sit through this song live lol, except the WMA performance, but even then it's only for the short bit of dancing

The Royal Brunei performance of Earth Song is quite good, with the "What About It" ad-libs. That is exactly what Michael should have done during the History Tour.

Smooth72

Proud Member
Lip sinking during live performances absolutely drives me bonkers. Change the performances so you can sing it live or at least most of it live. Trying to preform the music videoÂ’s basically on stage was asking too much. I would have preferred he sing live an minimize the dancing.

Piek

Proud Member

It's not designed for tv, it's designed to be performed on stage, with a live audience. I saw it live twice, and I can't tell you what happens in the crowd during this Earth Song bit. I went there with a good friend. She just joined me, she wasn't a fan of MJ at all. But during this performance, she had tears in her eyes and was really emotional. I know you don't get that feeling from watching it on YouTube. But the performance was really perfected for a live audience. It was amazing.

Hess

Proud Member
I must agree with Piek - live performances (especially back then before DVD/Blu-Ray/Youtube/streaming) was meant to be seen live just once.

MJ was a perfectionist and he was perfect at knowing how the audience responded, what works on stage and what does not work.

Earth Song was great live. (I was only 10 when I saw MJ live, at the Birthday concert in Copenhagen 1997)

Also, the "get's emotionel during I'll Be There and crying - live it is great, but when you see it on Youtube 20 years later it looks pathetic. Live it works though.

And I think it's hard to make a live concert that will get the same emotions in the viewer when watching it many years later on TV.

Michaels Lover

Proud Member
It was probably my most favorite part of the whole concert! Still, to this day it brings tears to my eyes. It has such an important and powerful message, I just love it

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Albums:
- Working Day and Night and Get On The Floor should have been released as singles. They were both potential top 10 hits, at least.
- The Girl Is Mine doesn’t work as duet between McCartney and Michael. Either it should have been a solo song or a duet with an artist that was closer to Michael in age.
- Thriller should have had another song. Behind the Mask, Got The Hots maybe.
- Moonwalker Smooth Criminal version should have been released on the Bad album. It makes the song less repetitive.
- Someone Put Your Hand Out and She Got It have been released on Dangerous in place of Can’t Let Her Get Away & She Drives Me Wild.
- Gone Too Soon is a wonderful song but it should have been a one off single, in stead of being released on the Dangerous album.
- Come Together is a boring song that sounds way out of place on History album. Also, Smile felt out of place on the album. Morphine and In The Back should have been on the album in their place.
- Even though I like most songs on Invincible, it feels over the place. It’s obvious that Michael’s heart wasn’t in it.
- Some of Michael’s songs, especially on the later albums were way too long. Not ever song had to be 5-6 minutes long.
- Michael’s latter albums repeated the same formula. Opening the album with an uptempo song, one rock song and one social anthem song on the album.

Live Performances:
- Michael was a genius when it came to his dance moves and outfits. But he was no genius when it came to his set lists for his tours. He performed the same bloody songs each time. No surprise one off performance of a rare song or a non single. Just the same hits again and again.
- And his performances of a lot of his songs were the same each damn tour. Like for Beat It, he used the same boring cherry picker entrance for three consecutive tours and was planning on doing it again for This Is It. For She’s Out Of My Life, he did the same “can I come down there” thing in the second verse before hugging a female fan for four consecutive tours.
- Michael’s singing style became too aggressive in later years and that didn’t always translate well to his live performances. I struggle to understand sometimes what he is saying when he is singing Working Day and Night and Dirty Diana. Maybe that’s because English isn’t my first language.
- Speaking of WDAN live, what a boring performance. Instead of wasting over 10 minutes, Michael should have cut the time to like 4-5 minutes and performed another song or two.
- Michael had no excuse for lip syncing as much as he did during the 90s. I understand that his voice was damaged during the History Tour, but what excuse did he have for lip syncing the entire Super Bowl 93 performance?
- And let’s not even talk about the Brit Awards 96 performance of Earth Song. It was extremely arrogant. People will say that Michael wasn’t arrogant at all, but there is no way that a person who was as successful as him wasn’t arrogant even in the slightest. It’s natural for successful people to be arrogant. And Michael was arrogant as well, if not consciously than subconsciously.

There’s a zero percent chance Michael was suffering from laryngitis during the HIStory Tour. Not only are there no credible sources (that I’m aware of) who have backed up that claim, but singing with laryngitis is dangerous and risks permanent damage to your vocal cords. Michael canceled a couple Bad Tour dates because of laryngitis in 1988, but we’re supposed to believe that he endured it for the majority of the HIStory Tour? No chance.

This was early on in the HIStory tour in Thailand. So he likely did have the condition and was finding the recovery tough. But I do agree with you, there’s no way that he had it for the duration of the tour.

He did suffer from throat problems since the first dates of the HIStory Tour.

In early October (1996) and before beginning the Asian leg of the tour, Michael Jackson briefly visited England in order to have his vocal cords examined by a specialized throat therapist.

Some people have also suggested that part of the reason for his extensive lip-syncing in that tour was due to his tendency to forget certain lines of his songs (while performing them).

This suggestion may hold true considering that the singer (in that tour) on many instances was seen unable to even synchronize his lips with the playback lines of the songs when he lip-synced them.

Although not a part of the HIStory Tour, the singer was also seen mixing up verses of ‘Beat It’ in the Royal Brunei concert in 1996, which also indicates his tendency to forget lines.

There is also another occasion that took place at Paradise Island (Bahamas) in 1998: when he started singing live ‘Heal The World’, he found it difficult to remember certain lines of this song.

Lip sinking during live performances absolutely drives me bonkers. Change the performances so you can sing it live or at least most of it live. Trying to preform the music video’s basically on stage was asking too much. I would have preferred he sing live an minimize the dancing.

Even if he minimized the dancing, he would not have sung more songs live in the HIStory Tour.

For instance, ‘You Are Not Alone’, ‘Heal The World’, ‘Earth Song’ are songs with zero dancing and physical exertion, yet he lip-synced them.

analogue

Proud Member
Whether if he had laryngitis or not there's no denying that something was wrong with his voice during the HIStory Tour. Some nights were better than others but a lot of times it sounded painful when he did sing live.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
Perhaps he suffered from vocal fatigue during the early HIStory Tour dates, but thereÂ’s no way he had it for the duration of the tour. ItÂ’s literally impossible.

dam2040

Proud Member
We know from Michael Prince why Michael relied so heavy on lip sync. We also saw a glimpse of this in This is It - wanting the live performance to be a direct mirror of what you hear on the CD.

Not sure I agree with this as MJs best stage moments deviate from the CD versions, but yeah.

Nite Line

Proud Member
We know from Michael Prince why Michael relied so heavy on lip sync. We also saw a glimpse of this in This is It - wanting the live performance to be a direct mirror of what you hear on the CD.

Not sure I agree with this as MJs best stage moments deviate from the CD versions, but yeah.

This is where Michael was wrong. The live version has to sound different from the CD version. There is no point in going to live shows if you are going to get an exact mirror image of the CD versions. ThatÂ’s a waste of money, in my opinion.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
Overall, I consider Michael’s approach to live performing to be the weakest element of his career. Make no mistake, he was the greatest entertainer to ever live, but he consistently recycled the same tricks and set list configurations and choreography. There was never a sense of “how is Michael gonna switch it up for this tour,” because he rarely did anything different or unexpected. It’s like once he cracked the code, he stuck to it as close as he could.

I could watch the man perform for hours, but sometimes I canÂ’t help but wonder how crazy his shows wouldÂ’ve been if he took some sudden left turns.

analogue

Proud Member
I wish he would have changed up the J5 Medley a bit. Maybe have One Day In Your Life replace I'll Be There, or have a Jackson's medley (Can You Feel It/Blame It On The Boogie/Shake Your Body) instead.

Smooth72

Proud Member
Overall, I consider Michael’s approach to live performing to be the weakest element of his career. Make no mistake, he was the greatest entertainer to ever live, but he consistently recycled the same tricks and set list configurations and choreography. There was never a sense of “how is Michael gonna switch it up for this tour,” because he rarely did anything different or unexpected. It’s like once he cracked the code, he stuck to it as close as he could.

I could watch the man perform for hours, but sometimes I canÂ’t help but wonder how crazy his shows wouldÂ’ve been if he took some sudden left turns.

I agree 💯.

dam2040

Proud Member

I could watch the man perform for hours, but sometimes I can’t help but wonder how crazy his shows would’ve been if he took some sudden left turns.

I can't find it for the life of me, but Michael did an interview once saying he always wanted to do a different Billie Jean (I think) but felt the fans wouldn't want/let him.

Rockin R

Proud Member
I can't find it for the life of me, but Michael did an interview once saying he always wanted to do a different Billie Jean (I think) but felt the fans wouldn't want/let him.

It was in the TV GUIDE 99 interview.
He always expressed his desire of changing things, however, when he had the opportunity, he didn't do it.

We had the opportunity to select the songs for THIS IS IT, however now we know, that the setlist was already being worked. And I doubt us fans wanted to hear the J5 medley. I love I'LL BE THERE, and I wish he could have played JUST that song from this J5 era and let room for his solo material, before OFF THE WALL.

Last edited:

AdamBa17

Proud Member
It's not designed for tv, it's designed to be performed on stage, with a live audience. I saw it live twice, and I can't tell you what happens in the crowd during this Earth Song bit. I went there with a good friend. She just joined me, she wasn't a fan of MJ at all. But during this performance, she had tears in her eyes and was really emotional. I know you don't get that feeling from watching it on YouTube. But the performance was really perfected for a live audience. It was amazing.
That's totally fair. I had 2 chances to see Michael live. History tour, which I didn't end up going to and then TII. Will regret my decision forever but I'm sure the real life experience was 100% different

AdamBa17

Proud Member
ItÂ’s like once he cracked the code, he stuck to it as close as he could.

You could say the same for his music too. The "code" for his albums was to stick to the Thriller formula once he realized it worked; a mix of upbeat dance tracks, one rock number to help crossover with that crowd, a duet, a "social statement" song etc

Jackson Rules

Proud Member
The Off The Wall medley in the HIStory Tour...
Playback is already a let down, but doing it using the same vocals from when he was 20 years younger is too much.
He could have at least re-record them with his adult voice.

Michaels Lover

Proud Member
You could say the same for his music too. The "code" for his albums was to stick to the Thriller formula once he realized it worked; a mix of upbeat dance tracks, one rock number to help crossover with that crowd, a duet, a "social statement" song etc

The only album after thriller that has a duet is bad...

Michaels Lover

Proud Member
The Off The Wall medley in the HIStory Tour...
Playback is already a let down, but doing it using the same vocals from when he was 20 years younger is too much.
He could have at least re-record them with his adult voice.

What exactly do you mean with "his adult voice"? He was 21 when he made otw, that was his adult voice??

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
The only album after thriller that has a duet is bad...

HIStory too!

Also true. What helped alleviate that, though, was how the songs were always sonically and musically adventurous. No two albums feel or sound the same, even if on paper thereÂ’s a lot of similarities context wise.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Some more:

His excessive make-up on the cover of his ‘BAD’ album while wearing the black, leather outfit.

The reason is that so much make-up makes him look too glossy and shiny, which does not match with his bad, tough and street image of the ‘BAD’ album and era.

His excessive make-up in the prison version of his ‘They Don't Care About Us’ music video.

The reason is that so much make-up makes him again look too glossy and shiny, which does not match with the prison concept of that music video where being in the role of a prisoner inside a prison he should have appeared without wearing any make-up at all.

The concept of his ‘Man In The Mirror’ music video in which the singer does not appear at all (with the exception of few seconds towards the end), and as result that music video has fallen into obscurity.

The Moonwalker version of the ‘Man In The Mirror’ music video would have been a far better choice as the official version of that music video.

Also true. What helped alleviate that, though, was how the songs were always sonically and musically adventurous. No two albums feel or sound the same, even if on paper there’s a lot of similarities context wise.

This does not apply to his ‘Invincible’ album which it sounds and feels overly rehashed with that overused formula.

king_of_style

Proud Member
What exactly do you mean with "his adult voice"? He was 21 when he made otw, that was his adult voice??

Yeah, I don't actually know if Michael's voice deepened all that much between Off The Wall and HIStory. I think he just started singing with more of his range than before. Like you can get glimpses of a deeper more "throaty" singing voice in songs like "You Can't Win" and in the backing vocals for "I Can't Help It". I think he just sang in that higher register because he was used to doing it and figured he would go with what worked.

EDIT: You'll notice too that in rehearsal footage he'd be singing songs that are low to medium range in a softer, higher voice, more like Off The Wall and Thriller era. There's even rumors that during one "Earth Song" performance he sang the entire "What about us?" section in a higher voice but the playback covered it up.

analogue

Proud Member
I feel like more of Smooth Criminal could have been sung live and not just the very ending. I think all of the ''You've been hit by'' parts could have been live and the ''I don't know/dad gone it'' adlibs too.

AdamBa17

Proud Member
Lip sinking during live performances absolutely drives me bonkers. Change the performances so you can sing it live or at least most of it live. Trying to preform the music videoÂ’s basically on stage was asking too much. I would have preferred he sing live an minimize the dancing.
I'm watching Victory Tour Toronto right now after just watching Bad live at Wembley - it's insane how much less Michael dances on the Victory Tour. The singing seems to be the main focus, the moves second. There are still a decent amount of moves, but way less than the following tours. And because they're less frequent I feel like they're sharper and more powerful.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I feel like more of Smooth Criminal could have been sung live and not just the very ending. I think all of the ''You've been hit by'' parts could have been live and the ''I don't know/dad gone it'' adlibs too.

I disagree with this sentiment. I have yet to hear a Smooth Criminal that was sung fully live that sounds good. The verses are almost unintelligible and too breathy. Going by MSG and Hartford amature audio I think he did the right thing to lip sync that song.

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
I disagree with this sentiment. I have yet to hear a Smooth Criminal that was sung fully live that sounds good. The verses are almost unintelligible and too breathy. Going by MSG and Hartford amature audio I think he did the right thing to lip sync that song.

Yep completely agree mate as much as I love MJ singing live, it was understandable him lip syncing Smooth Criminal.
Although I must admit, I always get a kick out of hearing MJ sing the full second verse lyrics when he did it live
So they came into the outway
It was Sunday, what a black day
Every time I tried to find him
There were no clues, theyÂ’re behind him
And they end up never knowing
WhoÂ’s the suspect or what to expect

Top Bottom