Best of Joy - Original Version

michael555

Proud Member
I don't know if I'm correct but I think the lyrics cut was due to a copyright battle with Rod Temperton that had apparently wrote the 3rd verse (?), I'm not sure though.

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
The song was apparently restructured and some lyrics were indeed cut. The Rod Temperton thing has been disputed and it's unknown why the vocals were cut. The lyrics have been posted before but I cannot recall them atm, and I don't think the original structure of the song has been definitively shown. Although there were some lyric sheets shown that had the song in different orders. I assume MJ was trying out different stuff with the song, different lyric orders etc. It could easily be the case that MJ didn't intend to use those extra vocals and that's why they were cut when the song was finished, although I guess we will never know.

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
I honestly doubt anything from that period will leak online. Don't see anyone who would leak something like that getting a hold of it.

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
Has anyone said that they've heard a 2008 demo of the song with those lyrics in it? Could it be the case that it wasn't a third verse but just a discarded/changed one? I'm struggling to think of why it would be left out otherwise.

AdeZ

Proud Member
Has anyone said that they've heard a 2008 demo of the song with those lyrics in it? Could it be the case that it wasn't a third verse but just a discarded/changed one? I'm struggling to think of why it would be left out otherwise.

I highly doubt that as listen to the leaked acapella, around 1:06 there's just a splice in the vocals

Ekans

Proud Member
Since we're talking mostly about the lyrics, I'm wondering if were there any major changes in the instrumentation of the song.

MJJ Leaks

Proud Member
Since we're talking mostly about the lyrics, I'm wondering if were there any major changes in the instrumentation of the song.

It was just a Drum machine loop and a Fender Rose guitar, according to Michael Prince on The MJ Cast.

Top Bottom