Best of Joy - Original Version

king_of_style

Proud Member
I love best of joy.. the lyrics are so simple but something about his voice and the sweetness in his delivery makes me sad.

For me a lot of the sadness comes with the fact that this is one of the last songs he ever worked on and to date the latest chronologically that has ever been released. It doesn't help that he repeats the lines "I am forever, we are forever" as if he's trying to console us

100%. I have no idea why that song was on there.

Neither do I honestly. From what I understand, Michael wasn't entirely pleased with the version that had been released (was it on The Ultimate Collection?) and wanted to revisit it. You can see in the top (right-center-ish) portion of this picture the title "Ways You Love Me".

cc82657af2d4ecedf65fc9cfaf1abcc1.1000x563x1.jpg

Now, I don't know if that's the same song as "(I Like) The Way You Love Me" since Michael did work on two different "Don't Walk Away"s, two different "Can't Stop Loving You"s, and three different versions of "Cheater". But if it is, then that means that Michael at least intended to work on it circa 2009. So maybe that's why they slapped it on Michael

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
I would understand the mentality of "Michael was working on it at the time of his death, so we wanted to include it" if they didn't also include three songs that he hadn't worked on in ten to twenty years (Another Day, Behind the Mask, Much Too Soon).

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
I would understand the mentality of "Michael was working on it at the time of his death, so we wanted to include it" if they didn't also include three songs that he hadn't worked on in ten to twenty years (Another Day, Behind the Mask, Much Too Soon).

I think it can be the reason they include one song and not the reason they include others, haha.

GGVVGGCC22331122

Proud Member
AlwaysThere;4319552 said:
100%. I have no idea why that song was on there.
If the song “The Way You Love Me” was going to be included in any list of songs on anything else other than the boxed-set, “The Ultimate Collection,” then, the original Demo version* (*already leaked on the Internet long before the boxed-set was officially released in 2004) should have been included on the “MICHAEL” album as well, and NOT some lesser-quality version with unnecessary dialogue in it. The original 2004 Demo was much, much better than the one on “MICHAEL,” in my honest opinion. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

king_of_style

Proud Member
GGVVGGCC22331122;4319752 said:
If the song “The Way You Love Me” was going to be included in any list of songs on anything else other than the boxed-set, “The Ultimate Collection,” then, the original Demo version* (*already leaked on the Internet long before the boxed-set was officially released in 2004) should have been included on the “MICHAEL” album as well, and NOT some lesser-quality version with unnecessary dialogue in it. The original 2004 Demo was much, much better than the one on “MICHAEL,” in my honest opinion. What do you think?

I like Michael on the phone in the beginning of the Michael version. It makes it more intimate and sentimental in my opinion. Although the "la la la" fade-out at the end of the The Ultimate Collection version was nice too.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
I think the 2010 mix is well done and respectful, but I completely agree that the original 2004 version is superior. It’s so simple and elegant, yet so excellent.

Bobi MJ

Proud Member
I can hear in the acapella version of the song at the beginning a violin, I don't know since it's pretty hard to hear. I will give you a timestamp: 0:10 - 0:13

king_of_style

Proud Member
I can hear in the acapella version of the song at the beginning a violin, I don't know since it's pretty hard to hear. I will give you a timestamp: 0:10 - 0:13

I can hear it too! I wonder if that means that the original version had a violin accompaniment. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but that is a guitar on the Michael version, right?

Derek1984

Proud Member
Did this song originate as The Toy from 1981? Do we have confirmation of that?

Bobi MJ

Proud Member
I believe the original version (the one from the 80s - 90s) has full vocals because Michael Prince said that MJ re-sang the full song in 2008.

SolarBear

I never heard the original version of Best Of Joy, and I have been looking for it everywhere. How on earth did you all find it?

AdeZ

Proud Member
I never heard the original version of Best Of Joy, and I have been looking for it everywhere. How on earth did you all find it?

They were talking about the acapella for Best of Joy, or The Way You Love Me, thats been leaked on the internet for a while now. I was skimming so im not 100% sure which one they were actually talking about.

As of now, you could find the Best of Joy original version on Michael Prince's HDD (if he let you borrow it, of course)

Last edited:

Stefano MJS

Proud Member
Brad and Neff-U havenÂ’t commented on it, but several fans have heard the original demo and have confirmed that the third verse does indeed exist.

I can 100% confirm that the 3rd verse actually exists. ;)

ALSO, does anyone have the Best Of Joy acapella somewhere? I'm finding only the mp3 version

yallasama

Great song, as long as it's MJ, I'm good with the released / leaked version as it is.

MJFAN2434

Fun fact, Best Of Joy IS NOT a 2008-09 song. It was being reworked in 2008 with Brad Bruxer along with other tracks like I Was A Loser & Hollywood Tonight. It's unknown when Best Of Joy was originally recorded, it is speculated that it was recorded in 1989. The song was not meant for This Is It either, it was just a demo that he was adding additional vocals to. The only 2006-2009 song we have on us is Hold My Hand which was recorded with Akon at Palm Studios in 2007. Michael also recorded vocals for WBSS 2008 at Angelikson Studios (Eddie Cascio's basement) in 2007 (the place where he allegedly recorded the Cascio Tracks). Hopefully will.i.am gives the estate some of the songs he worked on with Michael in 2006 such as I'm Still The King, I'm Dreamin', etc.

Anna

Free As A Bird
Fun fact, Best Of Joy IS NOT a 2008-09 song. It was being reworked in 2008 with Brad Bruxer along with other tracks like I Was A Loser & Hollywood Tonight. It's unknown when Best Of Joy was originally recorded, it is speculated that it was recorded in 1989. The song was not meant for This Is It either, it was just a demo that he was adding additional vocals to. The only 2006-2009 song we have on us is Hold My Hand which was recorded with Akon at Palm Studios in 2007. Michael also recorded vocals for WBSS 2008 at Angelikson Studios (Eddie Cascio's basement) in 2007 (the place where he allegedly recorded the Cascio Tracks). Hopefully will.i.am gives the estate some of the songs he worked on with Michael in 2006 such as I'm Still The King, I'm Dreamin', etc.

Read the posts from the first page. It was recorded in 2008. You can tell it's a 00's recording from his voice.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
^^ Most of this is incorrect.

The released version of “Best of Joy” was recorded in late October 2008. The song itself was originally written and recorded in late 1981 under the working title “The Toy,” and was revised and reworked numerous times over the years. The rumor that it was to be debuted during This Is It is unfounded, but it is indeed a late-in-life recording.

Also, “I’m Still the King” was almost certainly never recorded. “I’m Dreamin’,” “Miss You,” and “The Future” are the only songs with any likelihood of existing in a semi-complete state.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Also, “I’m Still the King” was almost certainly never recorded. “I’m Dreamin’,” “Miss You,” and “The Future” are the only songs with any likelihood of existing in a semi-complete state.

will.i.am stated that all the new songs that he worked on with Michael Jackson (including the finished ones) were kept in Michael Jackson’s personal hard drives, meaning that these songs are now in the Estate’s hands:

“…He had all the hard drives because I didn't want to be responsible for that … I didn't want that responsibility. So he kept all the stuff that we worked on…” (will.i.am)

will.i.am went on saying that at least three of them are finished (‘I’m Dreamin'’, ‘Miss You’, and ‘Still The King’).