- Jan 31, 2012
Some interesting revelations about "Hollywood Tonight" and the Michael sessions:
- MJ added the funky, David Williams-esque guitar lick between late 2008 and early 2009.
- Neff-U was the Estate's original elected producer for several tracks (some of which have yet to be released), which he spent roughly a week on with Michael Prince at the latter's home studio. Ultimately, though, Teddy Riley superseded him on "Hollywood Tonight" after impressing with his work on the Cascio tracks.
- Before submitting the song for Riley's employment, Michael Prince made a number of preliminary edits, repurposing a line from the second verse ("Westbound, Greyhound to Tinseltown to pursue her movie star dreams") in the outro and sampling the kick and snare from "Billie Jean" to enhance the drum pattern.
- After hearing the track for the first time, Riley approached Michael Prince with relief: "Finally, something I know is Michael."
- The album mix of "Hollywood Tonight" is more or less a facsimile of the version Neff-U and Michael Prince submitted; Riley replaced nearly every sound, including the guitar lick. (Neff-U was far from an ethical figure in this regard though: his take on "Best of Joy" was similarly a top-to-bottom reproduction, even if it strays close to the original recording.)