Current Songs You Think Are Great

eighthnoterojo

Proud Member
Are there any current songs that you think will stand the test of time? Which songs(s) from the past six months (preferably more recent) do you think people will still listen to (or listen to again) decades from now? Songs that can be considered top-notch quality-wise. Of course I realize no one can see into the future, but feel free to go out on a limb and give your suggestions. :D

:)

My answer'll probably similar to the one I'd give to the question "What current songs do u like?" :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there're quite a few songs I enjoy now but I doubt they'll become classics like the likes of Billie Jean, Beat it,... I mean just how many songs from 00s that've stood the test of times :(. For a song to stand the test of time IMO it must be fresh and bring smt new to the current music scene. And I haven't seen such a song for the past year, let alone 6 months. Oh well, weither that or maybe I havent heard enough :lol: :lol:

I'd like to be proved wrong though :)
BTW now I'm really into Mercy by Duffy :wub: I love the 60s vibe to it:punk:

Last edited:
I'd say.... Dangerous by Kardinal Offishall feat. Akon. It will definatly stand the test of time in 5 years from ow (for me anyways.)

The 1 U Wanna C ~ Prince
No More Cloudy Days ~ The Eagles
Last Good Time In Town ~ The Eagles
Angel ~ Chaka Khan
Disrespectful ~ Chaka Khan & Mary J. Blige
Out There ~ Swing Out Sister
Whenever You're Around ~ Jill Scott
Last Man Standing ~ Duran Duran
I See A Different You ~ Koop
Dance And Boogie ~ The Pipettes

lately i've been getting a lot into soul music from Amsterdam .. guys like u-gene (awesome, unique vocalist - Stax-influenced) and Liquid Spirits.

also a great trumpeter called Roy Hargrove (The RH Factor) is coming out with a new CD i've been trying to find leaks of.

on top of a quality written track, i think a lot of acoustic instrumentation with a live, syncopated feel is what i believe will 'stand the test of time' but then again many producers nowadays are going back to 80s synths and sequenced beats so i don't know.

doesn't matter to me though, i know i'll be enjoying this long after my.. advanced adulthood
f_smiley.gif
. and with a hint of nostalgia thrown in.

My answer'll probably similar to the one I'd give to the question "What current songs do u like?" :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there're quite a few songs I enjoy now but I doubt they'll become classics like the likes of Billie Jean, Beat it,... I mean just how many songs from 00s that've stood the test of times :(. For a song to stand the test of time IMO it must be fresh and bring smt new to the current music scene. And I haven't seen such a song for the past year, let alone 6 months. Oh well, weither that or maybe I havent heard enough :lol: :lol:

I'd like to be proved wrong though :)
BTW now I'm really into Mercy by Duffy :wub: I love the 60s vibe to it:punk:
Have to agree with you about all that. lol

Oddly enough, I heard her do this song on tv not long ago, and thought it was pretty cool. I like her singing too. How about that; a standard three chord blues-pattern (I-IV-V) can still be fun. lol

I'd say.... Dangerous by Kardinal Offishall feat. Akon. It will definatly stand the test of time in 5 years from ow (for me anyways.)
Well, it's got a great beat; I guess we'll see. lol

Still checking out the other suggestions lol

Last edited:
The 1 U Wanna C ~ Prince
No More Cloudy Days ~ The Eagles
Last Good Time In Town ~ The Eagles
Angel ~ Chaka Khan
Disrespectful ~ Chaka Khan & Mary J. Blige
Out There ~ Swing Out Sister
Whenever You're Around ~ Jill Scott
Last Man Standing ~ Duran Duran
I See A Different You ~ Koop
Dance And Boogie ~ The Pipettes
Wow, the Eagles are still a good listen, aren't they. Totally forgot about them.

I find Chaka Khan to be a bit of a belter for Angel, which is such a gentle song. I think she's a fine vocalist, but I prefer her performance on Disrespectful.

I enjoyed the Swing Out Sister and Jill Scott tunes.

And Duran Duran is still a good listen as well.

I really dug the vibraphone and bass in the Koop tune; that was really fun!

Couldn't find the Prince tune, and only found a crappy YT version of the Pipettes tune, so I couldn't really enjoy it.

BTLY- Nice choice, but which; the original version? Or the Timbaland one?

ArXter- u-gene seems interesting, and am currently groovin' to Closing Time Duet by Liquid Spirits; me likes a lot! I've heard of Roy Hargrove before; will investigate.

Last edited:
The LLB tune is nice; positive and uplifting. Puts a smile on one's face.

And I like a lot of Maroon 5 tunes too lol Wake Up Call, Makes Me Wonder...

I don't know what people will listen in 5 years, but I will definitely listen to Flashing Lights and Big Brother by Kanye West and Moving Mountains by Usher.

Wow, the Eagles are still a good listen, aren't they. Totally forgot about them.

I find Chaka Khan to be a bit of a belter for Angel, which is such a gentle song. I think she's a fine vocalist, but I prefer her performance on Disrespectful.

I enjoyed the Swing Out Sister and Jill Scott tunes.

And Duran Duran is still a good listen as well.

I really dug the vibraphone and bass in the Koop tune; that was really fun!

Couldn't find the Prince tune, and only found a crappy YT version of the Pipettes tune, so I couldn't really enjoy it.

BTLY- Nice choice, but which; the original version? Or the Timbaland one?

ArXter- u-gene seems interesting, and am currently groovin' to Closing Time Duet by Liquid Spirits; me likes a lot! I've heard of Roy Hargrove before; will investigate.
Most of what I listen to are veteran artists. I didn't abandon them because they're up in age. A lot of them still make way better music than the younger, popular acts today. It's too bad that there's an ageism in mainstream popular culture. Their new material get little if any radio play.

Mercy - Duffy
Foundations - Kate Nash

For some reason I am on a British girls kick right now. I can't get enough of these two songs.

Mercy - Duffy
Foundations - Kate Nash

For some reason I am on a British girls kick right now. I can't get enough of these two songs.
When I think my mum and the songs she says she listened when she was young, like Carl Douglas' Kung fu fighting (lol :lol:), Elvis etc.
I honestly don't think any these songs that are playing now will be such classics in 5 or 10 years.

Mercy by Duffy might get close but I don't know how popular it's in US which is pretty important to be popular in imo..

I would have to say "Apologise" by OneRepublic.

Me too! That's an amazing song. I also like:

"Can't Get Enough" by Tamia
"Baby" by Angie Stone feat. Betty Wright
"Hate On Me" by Jill Scott
"Lost Without U" by Robin Thicke

Mariah's new album is hot. It's worth your money. Janet's as well.

"Mercy" and "Warwick Avenue" by Duffy.

I can imagine these two songs being played years from now.

Last edited:
I know these two songs aren't exactly recent but I think they have the potential to become classic timeless hits:

Nine Million Bicycles - Katie Melua
Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield

Robin Thicke- Lost Without You
Jill Scoot- Golden
Jennafier Lopez- Doin it well
Usher-Moving Montains
Mary J Blige- Just fine
Beyonce-Get Me Boodied
Chris Brown-Forever

yeah Liquid Spirits are great.

two more tunes i've put on heavy rotation

Common ft. Marsha Ambrosius, Bilal - The Light 08

Marsha Ambrosius - Do You Think We're In Love

(shame they're both demos and will probably remain that way)

i'm also trying to catch up with what Green Gartside (Scritti Politti) is up to.. genius bloke.

*If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys*

others:
Umbrella - Rihanna
Yeah! - Usher
How Far is Heaven - Los Lonely Boys
Apologize - One Republic
Survivor/Say My Name - Destiny's Child

Ne-Yo - Closer
Mario - Crying Out for Me
Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder
Keyshia Cole - Heaven Sent :scratch:
One Republic - Apologize

Homecoming-kanye West
Closer-ne-yo
I Kissed A Girl-katy Perry
Thats Bout It There Hasn't Been A Lot Of Good Songs Lately

I really like Coldplay's when I ruled the world, which is significant cos I absoloutly hate and avoid modern music, yet this song is great!

Back