Dangerous 25 is NOT happening.

Yeah, there were only twelve thousand music home videos...sigh. Oh, well, Michael Jackson doesn't sell anymore. When does the website close down?

I can't tell whether or not to take you seriously at this point.

... because it didn't?

Bad25's low sales is an indicator that there is not enough demand for the estate to put together extensive box sets with multiple variations and extra features, as they did in 2012. There were at least eight different versions of that set, and surely around two dozen different things that were put into production for it.

Putting something on the market comes with the intent of making more than you spent on it. If a film fails commercially, they won't put money towards making more of it because it's clear that the public has little interest. The same concept works here.

That doesn't mean that the albums shouldn't be reissued whatsoever. It means that the best route is a low key, two-disc box set.

I feel like we've discussed this to death. I think even me and you shared a few posts back and forth about it. But you can't distill it down to just that. There's a lot more to it. In particular, marketing. Bad 25 was marketed very poorly in the UK. There's pricing. Frankly there are many reasons why a commercial product fails and it's not purely, as you suggest, content.

There's also an argument that fuelling Michael's legacy is perhaps as important as a quick buck.

Can we move on now? LOL

I feel like we've discussed this to death. I think even me and you shared a few posts back and forth about it. But you can't distill it down to just that. There's a lot more to it. In particular, marketing. Bad 25 was marketed very poorly in the UK. There's pricing. Frankly there are many reasons why a commercial product fails and it's not purely, as you suggest, content.

There's also an argument that fuelling Michael's legacy is perhaps as important as a quick buck.

Can we move on now? LOL

Very true, very true. Only brought that back up again to toss out the idea that Michael's albums can't be reissued whatsoever simply because of Bad25's flogging sales. It's been done to death by now, I agree.

But yes, moving on :p

Thing is most of you are forgetting Mike's legacy must be kept alive! Do you all want everyone to forget bout him for good? If the estate don't get their sh*t together miike's music and legacy will be forgotten and erased and I certainly don't want to see that happen.

Thing is most of you are forgetting Mike's legacy must be kept alive! Do you all want everyone to forget bout him for good? If the estate don't get their sh*t together miike's music and legacy will be forgotten and erased and I certainly don't want to see that happen.
the only way that could happen is if every single person on the planet got their memory erased, and all evidence of his existence, EVER, were destroyed. so yeah, don't worry about him being forgotten, that would never happen

the only way that could happen is if every single person on the planet got their memory erased, and all evidence of his existence, EVER, were destroyed. so yeah, don't worry about him being forgotten, that would never happen

Unless every fan were to be killed

but that would still never happen or work in a million years

If Michael's legacy is as good as we all think it is, then rushed re-releases, compilations and posthumous albums are worthless. They may sell a few records at the time, but his legacy is bigger than a 2 disc re-release of Dangerous.

The Beatles got nothing until the anthologies in 1995. They didn't need anything, and their legacy had already been cemented. It's almost like this need for re-releases and such is based on a fear that Michael will be forgotten. How in the name of christ can he be? Sure re-releases get a few more sales over the line, a few more listeners. It's second fiddle for me to the work that Michael put in during his lifetime that has immortalised him in time, and will always be referenced in history, most important artists lists etc.

Sure, new things are nice, but we don't actually need a physical re-release of Dangerous. The album is as good as it will ever be. That is the fact. Hopefully the online campaign will step up and a few more people will buy whatever version is most readily available online, Mp3, Special Edition CD or Vinyl.

I think Michael is fine. He will outlast the lot of us. He will always be referenced, talked about and remembered in the respectful artistic way he should. His work will stand the test of time. He'll be fine.

Well by the look of things the freaking estate won't release anything till most of us are of really old age or dead...or most likely never again full stop! Is that what u really want?

:coockoo::doh:

:doh:

The Beatles got nothing until the anthologies in 1995. They didn't need anything, and their legacy had already been cemented. It's almost like this need for re-releases and such is based on a fear that Michael will be forgotten. How in the name of christ can he be? Sure re-releases get a few more sales over the line, a few more listeners. It's second fiddle for me to the work that Michael put in during his lifetime that has immortalised him in time, and will always be referenced in history, most important artists lists etc.

Basically. Now there was a live album in 1977, but the songs on there was nothing new, their studio versions were released in the decade prior. From 1970 until 1994's Live at the BBC album, there was not a single second of new, unreleased, original Beatles material. That's 24 years of no new, original Beatles material. To put that in perspective for Michael Jackson: imagine not getting a single second of new, original MJ audio until 2033.

It's something I think about when I see MJ fans complain about the lack of new material. I'm (of course) always down for new material, but I think the Estate have been rather generous since 2009. We've already got ~26? new recordings since the man passed, imagine not getting a single second of those for another 17 years.

Just like it was for The Beatles, it's the music Michael put out during his life that will define his legacy and keep it going for generations to come. You see kids dancing to Billie Jean, not Hollywood Tonight.

The Beatles have been around since the 1960s with a minuscule number of high-promotion reissues; most are just small things snuck onto the market without much of an afterthought.

Same with Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley - a relatively small amount of their reissues receive much attention.

Michael Jackson will experience the same. They could never re-release any one of this albums again and he would continue to sell. He has a permanent mark on the public's consciousness that will seep over into the next generation, and the one after that, and the one after that. There is no fear that he will fade away.

we still listen to Mozart today. he died in 1791. in Michael's words: "great music is immortal"

oldies

we still listen to Mozart today. he died in 1791. in Michael's words: "great music is immortal"
There's also the case that Mozart and some other classical composers from centuries ago are still promoted by orchestras who perform and/or record their music. Otherwise few would know them since they did not record anything. The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, etc. are still promoted by getting played on oldies or classic rock stations, or their songs are used in movies/TV shows/commercials/muzak reels in stores/etc. There's certain old hits and acts that are still played and way more that are not.

If Michael's legacy is as good as we all think it is, then rushed re-releases, compilations and posthumous albums are worthless. They may sell a few records at the time, but his legacy is bigger than a 2 disc re-release of Dangerous.

Sure, new things are nice, but we don't actually need a physical re-release of Dangerous.The album is as good as it will ever be. That is the fact. Hopefully the online campaign will step up and a few more people will buy whatever version is most readily available online, Mp3, Special Edition CD or Vinyl.

I think Michael is fine. He will outlast the lot of us. He will always be referenced, talked about and remembered in the respectful artistic way he should. His work will stand the test of time.He'll be fine.

I agree with almost all of this especially the bolded.
No artist will ever be forgotten, including MJ.
However, although MJ's legacy may be cemented in his fans eyes, and SHOULD BE in general, the media is always challenging MJ's legacy by making someone out to be the newer better MJ, the new King of Pop, better then MJ, etc, which is something that for the most part the Beatles don't really have to deal with.
The Beatles are regarded as the best band to ever do it, point blank period.
Very rarely will you see the media challenge their legacy or put anyone above them, which is in stark contrast to how MJ is treated.

So while MJ will never be forgotten and the notion is indeed ridiculous, I do believe that his artistic legacy can be diminished to the general public via media, and we all know that the media is a powerful thing.
It may be kind of negative, but it's also kinda true. :/

Last edited:
The media has been contemplating handing off the King of Pop title to someone else for years. That simply won't happen.

More than enough people have been called "the new King of Rock and Roll" and "the new King of R&B," though those titles remain to Elvis and R. Kelly. The "King of Pop" mantle will be Michael's permanently. Some things never change.

More than enough people have been called "the new King of Rock and Roll" and "the new King of R&B," though those titles remain to Elvis and R. Kelly.
According to Whitney Houston, Bobby Brown is the "King Of R&B". :cheeky: I've never heard anyone called that in the media like James Brown is called "Godfather Of Soul", "Hardest Working Man In Show Business", & "Minister Of The New New Heavy Funk".

Re: oldies

There's also the case that Mozart and some other classical composers from centuries ago are still promoted by orchestras who perform and/or record their music. Otherwise few would know them since they did not record anything. The Beatles, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, etc. are still promoted by getting played on oldies or classic rock stations, or their songs are used in movies/TV shows/commercials/muzak reels in stores/etc. There's certain old hits and acts that are still played and way more that are not.
exactly! they didn't record anything, yet their music lives on. if we can do that for someone who didn't record anything...surely it shouldn't be a problem for those who did record

Last edited:
Back