Discovery Cancels MJ Autopsy Show

richardhardy1979

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
317
Points
0
Location
uk
The Discovery television network on Friday said it canceled plans to air a reenactment of the autopsy on Michael Jackson's body, citing an upcoming court hearing and concern by the late pop star's estate.

The show, "Michael Jackson's Autopsy: What Really Killed Michael Jackson," had been set to air in several countries of western Europe and in the United Kingdom on January 13.

"Given the commencement of legal proceedings beginning next week, and at the request of Michael Jackson's estate, the scheduled broadcast of the medical documentary related to Michael Jackson's official autopsy has been postponed indefinitely," Discovery Networks International said in a statement.

A Discovery spokesman declined comment beyond the statement.

The "Thriller" singer died suddenly of a prescription drug overdose on June 25, 2009, age 50, only weeks before beginning a series of comeback concerts. An autopsy by Los Angeles officials showed Jackson died chiefly of an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol that he used as a sleep aid.

Discovery's show, which was not scheduled to air in the United States, was an unofficial, fictional account of what the autopsy must have been like and its results.

But Jackson fans worldwide protested in an online petition launched earlier this month, and the co-executors of his estate sent a letter this week to Discovery Networks calling the program "insensitive" and "in shockingly bad taste."

A print advertisement for the program shows a body covered by a sheet, with one hand poking out wearing the singer's well-known sequined glove.

"On behalf of Michael's family, fans, common sense and decency, we urge you to reconsider and cancel this program," co-executors John McClain and John Branca wrote in the letter.

An estate spokesman was not immediately available to comment.

Jackson's physician at the time of his death, Dr. Conrad Murray, has admitted giving the singer propofol, which is often used in surgery, and Murray has been charged by authorities with involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death.

Murray has pleaded not guilty, and a preliminary hearing to determine if enough evidence exists to make him stand trial begins in Los Angeles on January 4



http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BS3VZ20101231
 
A

Asedora

Guest
Congrats to all fans. We did it! :)

Happy New Year everybody :flowers:
 
E

ExoticPrincess

Guest
"Given the commencement of legal proceedings beginning next week, and at the request of Michael Jackson's estate, the scheduled broadcast of the medical documentary related to Michael Jackson's official autopsy has been postponed indefinitely," Discovery Networks International said in a statement.

Bullshit! they already knew about the upcoming legal proceedings so they should'nt act as though that was a factor here! If it was'nt for the outrage expressed by fans and MJ's Estate reps. this travesty would still be going ahead! Common sense should've told them that airing this was just in poor taste, but the almighty dollar was just too alluring i guess.

Hope it NEVER sees the light of day!
 
A

Asedora

Guest
Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6BS3VZ20101231

r



(Reuters) - The Discovery television network on Friday said it canceled plans to air a reenactment of the autopsy on Michael Jackson's body, citing an upcoming court hearing and concern by the late pop star's estate.

The show, "Michael Jackson's Autopsy: What Really Killed Michael Jackson," had been set to air in several countries of western Europe and in the United Kingdom on January 13.

"Given the commencement of legal proceedings beginning next week, and at the request of Michael Jackson's estate, the scheduled broadcast of the medical documentary related to Michael Jackson's official autopsy has been postponed indefinitely," Discovery Networks International said in a statement.

A Discovery spokesman declined comment beyond the statement.

The "Thriller" singer died suddenly of a prescription drug overdose on June 25, 2009, age 50, only weeks before beginning a series of comeback concerts. An autopsy by Los Angeles officials showed Jackson died chiefly of an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol that he used as a sleep aid.

Discovery's show, which was not scheduled to air in the United States, was an unofficial, fictional account of what the autopsy must have been like and its results.

But Jackson fans worldwide protested in an online petition launched earlier this month, and the co-executors of his estate sent a letter this week to Discovery Networks calling the program "insensitive" and "in shockingly bad taste."

A print advertisement for the program shows a body covered by a sheet, with one hand poking out wearing the singer's well-known sequined glove.

"On behalf of Michael's family, fans, common sense and decency, we urge you to reconsider and cancel this program," co-executors John McClain and John Branca wrote in the letter.

An estate spokesman was not immediately available to comment.

Jackson's physician at the time of his death, Dr. Conrad Murray, has admitted giving the singer propofol, which is often used in surgery, and Murray has been charged by authorities with involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death.

Murray has pleaded not guilty, and a preliminary hearing to determine if enough evidence exists to make him stand trial begins in Los Angeles on January 4.
 

mjjesamor

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
573
Points
0
Shedding a tear of relief and joy that this despicable programme has been cancelled. Well done everybody!
 

StaceyMJ

Proud Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2006
Messages
9,124
Points
63
Brilliant news, well done to everybody who contributed. We now know we can do this! We must carry on. Michael would be so proud.
 

MJsAngelOfMusic

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
1,448
Points
38
Bullshit! they already knew about the upcoming legal proceedings so they should'nt act as though that was a factor here! If it was'nt for the outrage expressed by fans and MJ's Estate reps. this travesty would still be going ahead! Common sense should've told them that airing this was just in poor taste, but the almighty dollar was just too alluring i guess. Hope it NEVER sees the light of day!

:clapping::agree:
 

blankyluvdoodoo

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
1,292
Points
0
Location
usa
congratulation to every one who tired their best to stop this mess.they better not start this ish again .
those who have been skeptical .........watch and learn .
now this is way to celebrate happy new year.happy new year mj fam.
 
A

Asedora

Guest
This is a good example how the media work. They are very sensitive to public's opinion. If the public shows tolerance to something ugly, they will continue to throw this mess on our face. If we show ZERO tolerance to BS they want us to watch they have other choice because they lose money. It can apply to TMZ and all tabloids worldwide.
 
L

~Lindsey~

Guest
whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo! great news, well done to the fans who took action I think fan pressure definitely played a part in this decision as well as the letter from the estate. Again, thanks to everyone who came together. Such good news, that has made my day.
 

Garden

Proud Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
1,041
Points
38
This is good news... to end and start a Year with :)
Congratulations to everybody who worked for this cancelling to happen!!!
Autopsy "Shows" should never never take place!

May MJ always be respected, honoured and loved.

Wish a very good Year to you all
 

liliyyy

Proud Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Messages
650
Points
0
Location
Bulgaria
Brilliant news!
We did it! Now we are the Michael' s voice! Let's continue to make him proud that he had us and that he will have us till the end of time!
 

xthunderx2

Proud Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
9,883
Points
0
Nothing cant be done if we stick together as one. I am sssooo happy that this part of it is over. Michael didn't deserve it.
 

ivy

Proud Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
16,074
Points
0
Location
USA
Statement from John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson:

The Estate of Michael Jackson is pleased that Discovery Channel made the correct decision in choosing to cancel this exploitative program. We are hopeful that this show will never run in any market in the future. While Discovery cited legal proceedings and our request as the reasons for its decision, none of this would have happened had it not been for the incredible passion displayed by countless Michael Jackson fans worldwide who knew they stood as one and that their voices could not be ignored.
 

Koko

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
24
Points
0
This is the first good news for 2011! More to come!!
Our voice is a strength to success!
 

Ohood

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
1,697
Points
0
this is why i trust the Estate when it comes to MJ's legacy only his fans and his trusted people worked hard,,,,the rest were celebrating around the world !

Branca is a true friend...


thank u MJ fans ,,,,we'll be Michaeling forever !
 

xthunderx2

Proud Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
9,883
Points
0
Statement from John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson:

The Estate of Michael Jackson is pleased that Discovery Channel made the correct decision in choosing to cancel this exploitative program. We are hopeful that this show will never run in any market in the future. While Discovery cited legal proceedings and our request as the reasons for its decision, none of this would have happened had it not been for the incredible passion displayed by countless Michael Jackson fans worldwide who knew they stood as one and that their voices could not be ignored.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:...Good job Guys!!
 

ivy

Proud Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2009
Messages
16,074
Points
0
Location
USA
It's nice to see that the estate doesn't forget and acknowledges the all efforts of the fans.
 

Kingofpop4ever3000

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
1,533
Points
0
Hope it NEVER sees the light of day!

I agree with ExoticPrincess. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for this announcement. But they shouldn't just want to postpone the airing of this documentary "indefinitely". That to me sounds like they're saying "We're not going to air it now. But eventually we will". They need to scrap the whole thing period. Just holding it off isn't good enough IMO. But hopefully this will never be aired.

Anyway, Thank you everyone.
 
Last edited:

cmstrike

Proud Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2011
Messages
401
Points
0
Congratulations everyone! This is great news. Hopefully it never sees the light of day.
 

myosotis

Proud Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
4,225
Points
48
I agree. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for this announcement. But they shouldn't just want to postpone the airing of this documentary "indefinitely". That to me sounds like they're saying "We're not going to air it now. But eventually we will". They need to scrap the whole thing period. Just holding it off isn't good enough IMO.

Couldn't agree more. This should be deleted from all records for all time.. perhaps Discovery can finally discover some humanity and compassion!

Well done the campaigners, great, great news.
 
Top