Ever tried 'couch surfing'?

blue_eyed_belle

Proud Member
Hey, was talking to one of my friends a fortnight ago about booking a hotel in London and travel in general, and she asked me whether i'd ever tried couch surfing. For those who don't know what it is, you register your details on a website, and then whenever you travel you check to see who lives in the areas that you're going to. If you find people, you send them a message and keep in contact with them, then go and stay for free (hence couch surfing!) Of course it works both ways, so you can have people you don't know come to stay too. You can even get ratings and write comments! I suppose it can be a good way of meeting people, but would any of you ever consider it? Or have you done this or something similar before? The site's http://www.couchsurfing.com

Your thoughts and responses please!!

I have never tried this, but some of my friends have and it worked out quite well for them. A large group of us travelled through Italy last year and while we all stayed in hostels, my one friend couch surfed when she could. In Pisa she stayed with a really nice girl who showed us all around. That doesn't always happen though, sometimes the person can and want to hang out with you, other times they're too busy and just provide a place to stay.

Personally, I would never do it lol. In Europe it seems fairly common, but it goes against all my safety and security related instincts lol (that could just be me though). If you do decide to do it, you should of course be careful and only contact people with good reviews. Also it's maybe a good idea not to do it alone.

I personally wouldn't want to couchsurf, especially not alone. It seems too risky. However, here in Lyon the people who take part in couchsurfing meet up for a drink in an Irish pub every Monday night and sit and chat about their experiences. I went and joined in last monday - they're pretty cool people and all had positive experiences. I think if i was coming to visit Lyon after this year (my year abroad) having met some of those who take part i would possibly consider it, but otherwise there's just no way.

That sounds like it could be fun - you actually got to meet some of the people who do it. It really does seem to work out for a lot of people and the girl I met in Italy who hosted my friend was awesome :)

Sounds too dangerous for me.. As a 21 year old girl it also goes against my security issues.. but if it works for some then great :):)

Back