Fulham Football club to get statue of MJ

Sophielo

Proud Member
This has caused massive debate understandably but Al Fayed comissioned the statue so he can put it where he likes. Would I prefer it to be somewhere else, of course, but he can put it where he likes.

E

elusive moonwalker

I actually agree with Rio Ferdinand. I love Michael to pieces. But, I also agree there are many great great great football players who deserve to have a statue in the football club.

It's a nice gesture of Al Fayed. I know he means well.

i guess rio isnt aware of mjs friendship with mo.and orignally it was gonna go in harrods b4 he sold it. anyway the petitions have already started to stop the statue. i guess mo fayed got what he wanted interms of publicity but at whos expense as normal.

Last edited:

Jerome

Proud Member
I found this picture online earlier.. looks like the statues already up

259182440.jpg

qbee

Proud Member
I wrote Mr Fayed a message thanking him for wanting to honor Michael with such a beautiful tribute . Sometimes fans are so selfish and self- centered. It not about them. Its about Mr Fayed personal friendship with Michael and he should be able to honor Michael in a way he see fit. We have no right to tell him where or how he should pay tribute to his own friend. I find the fan petition rude myself. Its the heart and motive of ones action that is important. Some fans ignored and disrespected the Love and devotion in this tribute. It went completly over theirr heads. I wish fans whould think before they act.

I wish I could be there to see the statue of Michael when its unveiled
Of you attend Please take lots of pictures for us :)

Last edited:

thrillerchild

Proud Member
I did the sorry thing of reading through piles of threads on Fulham fan boards both on the official site and fans site. They are royally pissed by this and I fear that they'll either tear it down or deface it beyond recognition. There were only one or two people actually defending MJ and his character which was even sadder :(

I may be going to the stadium this Sunday so I'll post pics if I do go.

tsw_gnaget

Proud Member
Your forgetting that Football now is very much policed and monitored
Anyone caught defacing the statue would face criminal charges i'm sure

not only that there is strict strict rules against hooligans in english premier league football today.. I mean most of em are banned for a longer period of time..
thats why we dont see so much trouble on the arenas now a days..

L.T.D

Proud Member
Why do people keep saying they should build it outside the 02?

Mohammed Al Fayed owns Fulham football club, it makes no sense for him to want to build it outside the 02.

It is not a case off.....'I want to build a statue of Michael Jackson, where can I put it'. It is being built for the fact that he want's a status of MJ outside his home ground.

And I go to football matches all the time, in fact I went to watch Liverpool at Anfield last night. Football hooliganism is quite rare nowadays, ESPECIALLY at someones home ground.

BudzMJJ

Proud Member
as much as i think the football ground isn't the best place for it, i still think its an awesome idea and should happen. But once again, this once proud fan community is doing everything in its power to kill mj's lagacy with him..... There are certain "fans" petioning to get it scrapped http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/movemichaelsstatue I mean, seriously, do these ppl not want future generations to know who MJ is? Fucking idiots are begining to piss me off!

Motsey

Proud Member
I think it an amazing gesture and will be great to see and visit.

Dont think Mo will get permission to build it outside the o2 and plus he built it to honour MJ and wants to see it s often as he can so he's built it on his own land.

Would all the negative people prefer no statue at all then this?

BudzMJJ

Proud Member
No matter where it is built there will be morons who will try and deface it. We shouldn't let our lives be dictated by these twats. I refuse to live my life in fear and worry over what ignorant idiots like that think. **** em all!!!

Thriller_MJ

Proud Member
not being sterotpyical or anything lol but think of thick ignorant idots who read tabloids ontop of the thug racist hoolligan element that follow football teams.

I agree, the statue would probably get vandalized by people it is a really nice thing to do but most Footballs fans I've came across are narrow minded bigots

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
We don't think it's off the wall to put up statue of *****

Dickson Etuhu

18 Mar 2011

When I first heard that we were erecting a statue to Michael Jackson outside Craven Cottage I thought he must have been a famous former Fulham player!

Once I realised it was for the music legend I just thought "wow".

To people outside our club it may seem an unusual thing to do but those of us who know and love our chairman, Mohamed Fayed, are not at all surprised.

The players were talking about it at training yesterday, yet all thought the tribute summed him up perfectly.

Our chairman is an eccentric character yet that is what makes him unique. He knew Jackson, who came to watch us play, very well so putting a statue up for a genius is a fitting tribute.

Everyone loves Jackson and we all have our own favourite song. Mine is Smooth Criminal and anytime I hear it, it is impossible not to start tapping my feet.

The chairman has made this club what it is and whenever any of us has a problem he has always been there for us.

He gave us more encouraging words before the win over Blackburn a fortnight ago and will be with us again at Everton tomorrow.

He showed another example of his generosity this week when all our wives received a bouquet of flowers to thank them for their support of the club. It left me with a warm feeling because it is great to know that we are part of such a close team.

One thing we do miss, though, is our Harrods discount - when he owned the store we used to get a generous 43 per cent off!

I was in there this week because my two-year-old son, Zaccai, wants a dog.

Now he is only small, so we can't buy him anything large but I am over six feet tall so can you imagine me walking a terrier?

Zaccai just loves dogs . . . so I guess we will get one for him in the end. I used to have two Staffordshire/Mastiff cross breeds but gave them away when he was born.

A raging dog springs to mind when I think about my last match at Everton.

I have not played at Goodison Park on Fulham's last two visits as I was rested. The last time I played there was when I was at Sunderland and we lost 7-1. Roy Keane was in charge and was in the scariest mood I have ever seen a manager after a game.

We won't be on the end of a similar scoreline tomorrow now that we are getting back to full strength. Thankfully, I am fit for selection after straining my hamstring again near the end of the victory over Blackburn. I played the full 90 minutes and was shocked to find out two days later that I had aggravated the problem I first picked up in the game against Stoke.

We have not had a game for two weeks, though, because of the FA Cup and that has been my saviour.

The physios have been working hard with me for the past 10 days and I felt strong again when I trained yesterday.

So, with a bit of luck we'll collect another three points at Everton . . . and it would be fitting if the match was a Thriller!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...its-off-the-wall-to-put-up-statue-of-*****.do

Sophielo

Proud Member
I'll definitely go and see this, I'm in London anyway that weekend and will be great to see a lot of fans again!

benscarr

Proud Member
I have to say i kinda agree with rio (and that's very hard for me to say as i hate him and Man U) I mean, while i feel MJ should have a statue in every country. As a football fan as well, i feel that, like Liverpool and other teams, u should only erect statues of ur legendary players outside the stadiums. As others have said, The O2 is probably the best place, or maybe even Wembley Stadium. I mean, i know its not the same one as MJ played at, but he set bare records there and if the o2 is in there, a place he barely even visited, let alone performed at, then wembley should be on the cards too. Unfortunately, Harrods is of the cards due to al fayed selling it.

This is exactly what I think. I think the gesture of putting up a statue of Michael outside Fulham Football Club is a great one by a good friend of Michael's.

There isn't any real connection between Michael Jackson and Fulham Football Club, as football clubs are really dictated by the passion of the fans not the chairman's. Statues are for former players etc, ie it would make more sense to put up a statue of the late George Best (who played for Fulham for 1 season in the mid 1970's), than Michael. I don't like the idea of Michael being associated with a specific football club. Or a statue of him where at a football stadium most fans are unlikely to bother visiting,

Wembley Stadium makes for sense to put up a statue of Michael. Michael has performed at Wembley Stadium more times than any artist or band from 1988-97. And even though it's a football stadium, it's also well known as a major music venue ie things like "Live Aid" etc, and hosts music concerts every year by big name artists and bands. So it would make more sense to have a statue of Michael there, because of the connection to Michael's music and music in general. I think Mohammed Al Fayed should lobby Wembley Stadium for to put up a statue of Michael there instead of Fulham Football Club.

Dianelesley

Proud Member
Although I am sure we all appreciate the sentiments of Mr AlFayed maybe Fulham is not the most appropriate place to site this. Having said that, the man owns the club and can do what he wants....

You need to be aware that this matter has met with a huge backlash from the FFC fans - they are threatening to deface the statue and make their feelings known. A number of Michael's fans have responded and now the matter is in danger of spiralling.

Firstly, Mr AlFayed did approach the O2 but was refused permission.

Secondly, it is not quite so easy to site such a permanent statue - if it is on a street you need council planning permission which is very unlikely to be granted. It really needs to be sited on private property which is probably why he went for his own club.

It's such a pity that it has been met with such negativity and also a shame we cannot have it in a more appropriate place. Having said that I am sure we appreciate his attempts to honour his friend.

KingMikeJ

Proud Member
I'll definitely go and see this, I'm in London anyway that weekend and will be great to see a lot of fans again!

Be careful, I seen on the Fulham FC facebook page that there will be people who are planning to deface it. I have only seen 2 Fulham fans who are happy about this statue. The rest of them are serious haters.

BudzMJJ

Proud Member
Yeah, well if any fulham fans try and give me hassle while im there, they are gonna learn that not all MJ fans are like mike. cos i will knock em the **** out if they piss me off.

L.T.D

Proud Member
Yeah, well if any fulham fans try and give me hassle while im there, they are gonna learn that not all MJ fans are like mike. cos i will knock em the **** out if they piss me off.

Haha that's cute. :doh:

But seriously, they won't give you any hassle......why would they? But they have every right to be pissed off about the statue being there. If they decided to build an MJ statue outside Anfield, i'd think it was stupid. I think this is stupid.

Let's be honest, this is a terrible idea. The fans don't want it there, and the idea of it being defaced is just going to get on our nerves. I think it's best for everyone if they either don't build it or build it somewhere else....

StaceyMJ

Proud Member
Oh man...this face off is exactly what can't happen. I hope there's no trouble at the site of the statue, that would be awful. :(

BudzMJJ

Proud Member
like i already said, the world is FILLED with moronic, ignorant cloe-minded fools and no natter where in Britain this is erected, it WILL get vandalised and haters will go there to cause trouble, cos thats the way ppl are now. It sucks, big time i know, i live in a shitty town rife with these idiots and have to deal with peado comments everytime i dare to step out in an MJ t-shirt. But i don't care what they think then, and won't for this either. Its going where it is going, so instead of whinging and whinning on about it, cos that won't change, we should all (including the Fulham fans) just get on with our lifes, ignore the thing we don't like and enjoy the things we do. Having a MJ statue outside a stadium is not going to affect the average fans viewing experience is it? And having a bunch of footie fans near by certainly isn't going to stop me appreciating this amazing tribute one of Michael closest friends is paying to him or enjoying it, and if it doess u, maybe u need to take a step back and think about ur own ignorance for a while. (aimed at no one person, but all haters)

L.T.D

Proud Member
Its going where it is going, so instead of whinging and whinning on about it, cos that won't change, we should all (including the Fulham fans) just get on with our lifes, ignore the thing we don't like and enjoy the things we do. Having a MJ statue outside a stadium is not going to affect the average fans viewing experience is it?

It doesn't have to go there. The fans opinions should be taken seriously and if they speak out against it and protest against it then they could probably succeed in preventing it from being made.

If they don't want the statue there then they will do whatever it takes to prevent it from happening. If that means threatening to deface the statue then i'm sure that is what they will do.

Just like when us fans don't like something being said against Michael, we speak out against it until it ends, and we have been successful. I think we should all appreciate why they feel this way and see it from their point of view.

Dianelesley

Proud Member
Like i have said on a previous post I think people need to have a sensible attitude to all of this. We won't do ourselves any favours by going on FFC sites and being abusive and sadly that is what some MJ fans have done. They just feed the public perception of us and we end up coming down to their level.