Glee Covers MJ Again - Update: Show to air Jan 31, 2012

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/index...overs-mj-again&catid=85:latest-news&Itemid=82

(27-11-2011) Hit TV show "Glee" is all set to cover the King of Pop in a new episode entitled 'Hold On To 16.'

It seems the show will be showcasing the talents of the guys in the cast and they're using not one, but two Michael Jackson songs in the episode as Chord Overstreet takes the lead on "Man in the Mirror" and Jenna Ushkowitz and Harry Shum Jr. take on the J5 classic "ABC."

That episode of "Glee" will air Tuesday, December 6, 2011. You can listen to a clip of Overstreet's "Man in the Mirror" here.

Source: MJFC / examiner.com / tv.com

Snippet of MITM:

Last edited:
Re: Glee Covers MJ Again

Reminds me of 98 Degree's version.

No one can never really measure up to mj- MJ WAS TRULY ONE OF A KIND!

I think it's nice. I don't watch glee but as long as it's respectful and people hear Michael's songs I think it's a good thing.

I think that it's awesome that Glee has done a bunch of his songs now. No they will never measure up to MJ but they obviously REALLY like him!

I have to be honest here: I can't stand Glee covers. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. So I won't listen. However, it's nice to know that Michael's music is celebrated in this way. It's just one way for his music to live on and grow.

I'm not gonna listen because I watch the show so I want it to be new for me when the show airs here in the Netherlands

Man In The Mirror is a song that you must sing with your heart, with everything you have inside, it comes from far, there is nothing in this version.
What a shame to let people like this sing a so powerful song like that. They destroy the song.

Keck's Exclusives: Glee to Celebrate Songs of Michael Jackson in Tribute Episode - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

111206glee1.jpg

Michael Jackson's legions of fans have major cause to celebrate today.

Similar to Season 1's Madonna tribute, the January 24 episode of Fox's Glee will feature 10-12 songs from Jackson's library. The episode is being fast-tracked in the writers' room now and is expected to begin shooting this Friday. Half of the episode will shoot before the cast breaks for the holidays, with the remaining numbers to be completed in January.

While creator Ryan Murphy has been teasing since the summer that a special spring tribute episode was in the offing, it took some convincing to assure the Jackson family that their late son/brother/father would be honored appropriately. Now, they have given their enthusiastic support.

You can get a taste of what's to come in tonight's "Sectionals" episode, which features several classic Jackson family numbers. Finn, Puck, Blaine and Mike sing "Man in the Mirror;" Tina, Kurt and Mike take the lead on The Jackson 5's "ABC;" and Artie, Blaine and Sam do their rendition of Janet Jackson's "Control." According to Ryan, the "kids" had such a fun time performing these MJ numbers, as well as "Thriller" in last year's Super Bowl episode, that he made an extra effort to seal the Jackson tribute deal before the end of 2011. Now he says the cast is flooding him with requests to sing their fave Jackson numbers.

Glee has purposely avoided such splashy episodes this season as part of a renewed commitment to focus on story over spectacle. But if there was ever a reason to break that moratorium, the songbook of Michael Jackson is probably the greatest.

For further details on this special tribute, be sure to keep reading TV Guide Magazine.

[h=1]'Glee': Michael Jackson Tribute Episode In The Works[/h]

[FONT=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]
r-GLEE-CAST-large570.jpg
[/FONT]

"Glee" is paying tribute to the King of Pop. The popular Fox series will have an entire tribute episode devoted to the late Michael Jackson, according to TV Guide Magazine.

The show is no stranger to Jackson songs; characters have previously sang a version of "Thriller" and "Pretty Young Thing" and will take on three songs from various members of the Jackson family in the Dec. 6 episode. In "Hold on to Sixteen," the season 3 episode that features the annual Sectionals performance, New Directions will sing Janet Jackson's "Control," the Jackson 5's "ABC" and Michael Jackson's "Man in the Mirror."
"It was fun, man," Harry Shum Jr. told AOL TV about the Jackson family performance. "It was so much fun. It's always scary to do Michael, but I think we kind of interpreted it in our own way."
TV Guide Magazine reports the special Michael Jackson tribute show will air in January and have 10-12 songs. The cast is reportedly flooding series co-creator Ryan Murphy with song requests.
In other "Glee" news, the show is planning a Christmas episode directed by series star Matthew Morrison. The holiday episode, "Extraordinary Merry Christmas," will feature one very hairy special guest: "Star Wars" character Chewbacca.

This isn't the first time "Glee" has tackled a single artist. Madonna got the "Glee" treatment in the Season 1 episode "The Power of Madonna."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ichael-jackson-tribute-episode_n_1132674.html

I don't watch the show but if they do a whole episode with Michael' songs I would watch. I know no one can sing like Michael but I think this is good. A lot of young people watch this show and it's good to expose people to Michael's music.

I don't mind it but maybe I'm bias, however Michael conveys the emotion in that song so well no one can match it.

this is a nice tribute but the reason why no one can ever do mj's songs justice is b/c MJ's put his soul in his music, that evoke emotion and people feel that

" Chewbacca isn’t the only one getting the Glee treatment. Word is, the Fox musical dramedy is set to pay tribute to Michael Jackson through his music. The series has veered away from tribute episodes this season, but it’s making an exception for the late King of Pop.
Earlier today we shared the news that Glee will pay tribute to the Star Wars Christmas special during next week’s episode, which may include an appearance by Chewbacca. And next month it’s looking like we’ll be hearing Michael Jackson’s music. TV Guide posted the news, stating that the episode is set to air in late January (1/24/2012) and will feature a whopping 10-12 songs from Michael Jackson’s library. The episode is expected to start production this Friday but with the holiday break coming up, it will likely finish shooting early next year.

As TV Guide notes, Glee has been avoiding tribute episodes this season, looking to focus more on “story over spectacle.” It’s been a good approach and one I hope they stick to. With that said, it’s hard to go wrong with Michael Jackson’s music."

i'm confused guys! is just a few songs or a full tribute episode. the new reports are saying they havent filmed it yet and the older reports have one of the cast saying it 'was fun to film'???
does that mean they're doing a Jackson episode(i.e michael, janet, brothers) AND a mj trib episode???

0o0jackie0o0;3553968 said:
" Chewbacca isn’t the only one getting the Glee treatment. Word is, the Fox musical dramedy is set to pay tribute to Michael Jackson through his music. The series has veered away from tribute episodes this season, but it’s making an exception for the late King of Pop.
Earlier today we shared the news that Glee will pay tribute to the Star Wars Christmas special during next week’s episode, which may include an appearance by Chewbacca. And next month it’s looking like we’ll be hearing Michael Jackson’s music. TV Guide posted the news, stating that the episode is set to air in late January (1/24/2012) and will feature a whopping 10-12 songs from Michael Jackson’s library. The episode is expected to start production this Friday but with the holiday break coming up, it will likely finish shooting early next year.

As TV Guide notes, Glee has been avoiding tribute episodes this season, looking to focus more on “story over spectacle.” It’s been a good approach and one I hope they stick to. With that said, it’s hard to go wrong with Michael Jackson’s music."

i'm confused guys! is just a few songs or a full tribute episode. the new reports are saying they havent filmed it yet and the older reports have one of the cast saying it 'was fun to film'???
does that mean they're doing a Jackson episode(i.e michael, janet, brothers) AND a mj trib episode???
Last night episode only featured an MJ and J5 song. In January, a full MJ-themed episode will air.

I missed tonights episode of glee! :cry: i missed out the mj/j5 songs. I totally forgot it was :banghead:

I never watched the show, when I saw the preview, they covered the Jackson 5 Medley.

I watched it last night. I think they did a good job with ABC. Oh well... The song does have infectious melody.

I love when anybody does Michael's songs, good, bad or indifferent, because let's face it, they will never be as good as Michael's version, but the most important thing for me is that they REMEMBER Michael and his songs will keep his legacy alive forever and ever!

Glee Tackling Michael Jackson Songbook: 5 Songs the Show Must Cover (and 5 to Avoid)

thriller_kurt_rachel_2_300111207103827.jpg

That special tribute episode of Glee that Ryan Murphy has been been hinting at since last summer has been greenlit — and it’s set to air Jan. 24, according to TVGuide. Yes indeed, the students and faculty of William McKinley High School will be busting out their moonwalks and “hoo-hoos!” as the show begins filming an installment later this week built around the Michael Jackson songbook.

Since last night’s Jackson Family medley at Sectionals was a bit of a mixed bag, I thought I’d take the liberty of suggesting five songs the show absolutely must tackle, and five that should be avoided at all costs. Check out my picks below, then hit the comments to brainstorm your own list!

Should Do
“Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’”: I’m envisioning a tense duet between frenemies Rachel and Mercedes, perhaps?
“Leave Me Alone”: Because Kurt needs a solo that’s not Broadway, or a dreary ballad. How ’bout this one?
“Scream”: Oh my god can’t believe what I saw when I turned on the TV this evening/ Santana combusted, a move it got busted…
“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”: Imagine this one coming to life as a “Like a Virgin”-esque montage featuring most of our main couples in romantic settings.
“Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)”: Send the whole cast to Booty Camp to provide solid backup for a Mike-Brittany dance-off!

Should Not Do
“P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)”: Esepcially if Shelby sings it to Puck. Yuck.
“Ben”: We don’t need to know about the rat infestation at the McKinley cafeteria
“Earth Song”: Unless Ryan Murphy is planning to surprise us with special guests Haley Reinhart and Melanie Amaro
“Heal the World”: Just no.
“I’ll Be There”: Just seems a little too obvious and a little too dreary. Keep it in the closet!

Your turn. Ready, set, brainstorm!

http://www.tvline.com/2011/12/glee-season-3-michael-jackson-tribute/

Glee did do PYT and i thought it was good.

I love when anybody does Michael's songs, good, bad or indifferent, because let's face it, they will never be as good as Michael's version, but the most important thing for me is that they REMEMBER Michael and his songs will keep his legacy alive forever and ever!

That's how I feel. I want Michael to keep being remembered. I think if we expect people to sing like Michael we will be disappointed a lot. It's not going to happen. I want people to treat it with respect and in a good way.

AngieJ;3554582 said:
Glee Tackling Michael Jackson Songbook: 5 Songs the Show Must Cover (and 5 to Avoid)

thriller_kurt_rachel_2_300111207103827.jpg

That special tribute episode of Glee that Ryan Murphy has been been hinting at since last summer has been greenlit — and it’s set to air Jan. 24, according to TVGuide. Yes indeed, the students and faculty of William McKinley High School will be busting out their moonwalks and “hoo-hoos!” as the show begins filming an installment later this week built around the Michael Jackson songbook.

Since last night’s Jackson Family medley at Sectionals was a bit of a mixed bag, I thought I’d take the liberty of suggesting five songs the show absolutely must tackle, and five that should be avoided at all costs. Check out my picks below, then hit the comments to brainstorm your own list!

Should Do
“Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’”: I’m envisioning a tense duet between frenemies Rachel and Mercedes, perhaps?
“Leave Me Alone”: Because Kurt needs a solo that’s not Broadway, or a dreary ballad. How ’bout this one?
“Scream”: Oh my god can’t believe what I saw when I turned on the TV this evening/ Santana combusted, a move it got busted…
“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”: Imagine this one coming to life as a “Like a Virgin”-esque montage featuring most of our main couples in romantic settings.
“Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)”: Send the whole cast to Booty Camp to provide solid backup for a Mike-Brittany dance-off!

Should Not Do
“P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)”: Esepcially if Shelby sings it to Puck. Yuck.
“Ben”: We don’t need to know about the rat infestation at the McKinley cafeteria
“Earth Song”: Unless Ryan Murphy is planning to surprise us with special guests Haley Reinhart and Melanie Amaro
“Heal the World”: Just no.
“I’ll Be There”: Just seems a little too obvious and a little too dreary. Keep it in the closet!

Your turn. Ready, set, brainstorm!

http://www.tvline.com/2011/12/glee-season-3-michael-jackson-tribute/

My guess for their 10-12 song set list:

-The Way You Make Me Feel
-Remember The Time
-Beat It
-Billie Jean
-Rock With You
-You Are Not Alone
-Human Nature
-Dangerous
-Who Is It
-Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
-They Don't Care About Us
-In The Closet
-Black or White

Songs I Hope They Do But Probably Won't
-Speechless
-Threatened
-Stranger In Moscow
-Why You Wanna Trip On Me
-Don't Walk Away
-and tons of other not well known (to the general public) songs :)

I missed tonights episode of glee! :cry: i missed out the mj/j5 songs. I totally forgot it was :banghead:
hey! i'm pretty sure they didnt play the new episode in Aus. a couple of weeks ago they said that was the last new episode until 2012. about 98% sure the last two weeks have been repeats???

http://www.aoltv.com/2011/12/13/glee-michael-jackson-tribute-episode-details-revealed/

Everybody is getting a piece of Michael Jackson when 'Glee' pays tribute to the late King of Pop on the Jan. 24 episode.

According to TV Guide Magazine, the cast will perform 12 songs from Jackson's extensive music catalogue, extending back to his time with the Jackson 5.

What's making New Directions so into MJ? Mr. Schuester, of course! After the former Troubletones express some regret about not being included in the Jackson family medley New Directions did at Sectionals, reliable Mr. Schue declares it Michael Jackson week.

"It was fun, man," Harry Shum Jr. told AOL TV about the Jackson family performance at Sectionals. "It was so much fun. It's always scary to do Michael, but I think we kind of interpreted it in our own way."

The Jan. 24 episode is still in its early phases of production, but TV Guide Magazine reports even the Warblers and Sebastian will partake in the Jackson tribute. Look for Blaine to take on 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'' and Finn and Rachel to do a duet of 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You.'

Back