Guyana girl dies after exorcism

Dublinproud

Proud Member
GEORGETOWN, Guyana (AP) — A 14-year-old girl has died after neighbors and a local pastor tried to treat her convulsions with an exorcism at a church, and Guyanese police said Friday they are investigating.

Sangeeta Persaud began to have convulsions as she was drinking tea for breakfast at her grandmother’s home in Canal Number Two, a farming village west of the capital, the grandmother told the Stabroek News and Guyana Chronicle.

The woman said neighbors arrived to help, and a local pastor convinced them she was suffering from demonic possession. After trying to cast out the demons at her home, the grandmother and other witnesses told the newspapers, neighbors carried her to a church, where the pastor and aides rubbed or pounded on her stomach and had her drink lime juice.

She was finally taken to a hospital, where she died, Police Commander Colin West said Friday. Results from a preliminary autopsy were inconclusive and no one has been charged, but West said police were continuing to investigate.

It was not clear why the girl was not taken to a doctor earlier.

The pastor presided over the girl’s funeral on Thursday as the child’s mother, father and other relatives shouted accusations at one another and at the preacher, the Stabroek News reported.

It said the pastor disputed news accounts of what had occurred, but did not say which parts he felt were inaccurate.

The newspaper said the girl had been living with her grandmother in a one-bedroom house and her parents were separated.

Just wanted to see people's opinion on this.This world is nuts!

im half guyanese, and this reminds me of my cousin, she came to america in the year 2000 i believe, and her family said that she was possessed and saw demons and all that crap, similar to this story, it turns out that she is epileptic and was having seizures while they labeled and made fun of her. ignorant and primitive thinking? yes. just thought id share that as it seems very similar to this story lol

Back