help-how to mix audio for a performance in a large room?

dancemasterman

Proud Member
I've heard before that in order for everything to sound right when playing a track in a large room, you need to mix it a little differently, like have the voice a little louder or something. Could somebody please explain it to me and help me a little? I'm using audacity. It's for my impersonation of MJ at my school's talent show.

edit.............
here is the soundtrack. all advice is welcome
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2B79WIY

Last edited:
What are you recording in a large room? Just vocals? If you use a directional microphone (cardioid) you'll be right. Reverb shouldn't be a problem. It's usually desirable on vocals. If you are recording other instruments as well then reverb might be a problem. Just switch the polar patterns on the mics to cardioid and pad the walls with some sort of non-reflective surface. When it comes to mixing, vocals should usually be louder in the mix than other instruments. In the mixing stage it might be helpful to EQ the vocals and other instruments by boosting the higher frequencies, thus adding clarity to the mix (something that is lost in large room recordings). The frequencies you should boost are probably around 1.5k to 6k. Adjust for your specific recording. And boost those frequencies by about 6dB. Again, it's going to be different for every recording. Just do what sounds good.

oh I'm not recording. I'm mixing a soundtrack. I'm not going to sing. I'm only going to lyp synch while dancing at a talent show.

When it comes to mixing, vocals should usually be louder in the mix than other instruments. In the mixing stage it might be helpful to EQ the vocals and other instruments by boosting the higher frequencies, thus adding clarity to the mix (something that is lost in large room recordings). The frequencies you should boost are probably around 1.5k to 6k. Adjust for your specific recording. And boost those frequencies by about 6dB. Again, it's going to be different for every recording. Just do what sounds good.

by chance could you explain to me how to do that? I'm not real savy on the tech terms for this kind of thing.

i'm doing it for the songs ghosts, way you make me feel, and for a 15 second part I'm using the way you make me feel dvd acapella, the other WYMMF acapella. Then it goes into billie jean and then thriller using the audio from the video but just the ending part of thriller.

In a few days I could post the soundtrack which is about 8 minutes long, and perhaps people could tell me how to do it.

here you go. the entire thing is in wav quality except for the robot part of billie jean. for that I had to use mp3 but it is high quality mp3. the zombie voices are also mp3. also for 10 seconds when the way you make me feel goes acapella, the back up vocals during that part are also mp3. other than that everything is in wav quality

any advice is welcome. I posted the link so you or whoever else can listen to it if they want to prior to giving me advice.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V2B79WIY

Back