Help..............

TialovesMJ

Proud Member
Hey everyone. I have a question. Its kind of dumb. But anyways does anyone have any good studying techniques?? I really need some new ones( i read the material over about 3 times, but still no luck!), because mine aren't working. Maybe I need to write down info. over and over again to memorize.. ahhhh its stressful.Especially because I have philosphy and Geology, I'm no good at either !!:( Im more of a writer and into art. Its so stressful too. Does anyone have any good techniques?Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hey there :)

firstly you should highlight what you think is important and what you feel relates to your studies.

then the trick is trying to memorize it... the best way is through association. Assosciate something you like or relate to with your studies.

For example with geography I associate people I know on here with places on the planet :lol:

I made short songs or rhymes up to remember names of things and then I sang them over and over again, it's funny how much you can remember them if you sit a test LOL

Act things out. When I was learning anatomy and I had to learn about joint movement I would act them out "Abduction meant I was having my limbs abducted away from my body (I would raise my arms up like I was being abducted by aliens) and it's opposite Adduction meant I was having my limbs added back to my body (bring them back down and add them to my sides).
Sure enough in my anatomy exam I was acting out all these weird movements, flexing and relaxing muscles to trigger memories.

Try and transfer what your studying into real life stories so that you can better relate to them too.

Dunno if that helps out all :)

Thanks L.J.. yes it did help out. I like how you would act things out in odrer to remeber things :kickass: I think I may try it too :D My uncle said since i am into drawing that I should draw out what i am reading..like the rotation of the earth around the sun..etc.!!! well thanks for your help, I appricate it :) :flowers:

NOTE CARDS. they are a life saver for me. Make out note cards of things u need to remember a week ahead of the test and just carry them around with you.

I also attribute things to other things. I'm an English major so if i need to remember a plot , I'd pretend its a scene from a movie with Johnny Depp staring or something lol

drawing and diagrams and tables are good too if you're a visual learner :yes:

Know what your strengths are when it comes to learning new things and use that because we all learn differently :)

I learn through watching and pictures. If someone shows me how to do something like maybe kick a ball I can replicate their actions straight away. But If I'm given an essay that says "drop the ball over your foot as you swing your leg back and then swing it forward to make contact with the now descending ball" I'm like :mello: say wha?

:lol:

the only studying technique i have is to read the important basic things first and try to comprehend them. then i say whatever that is i remember out loud in my own words. then i move on to the details. i try to comprehend those too and then i say out loud whatever it is that i remember from those details in my own words again.
the key is comprehension. try to comprehend what ur reading so in case ur mind blocks out during the test u wont have a problem. otherwise if u memorize stuff and ur being stressful before and during the exams theres a good chance ur mind will block out and u wont remember much of what u have memorized. i have studied philosophy in high school and i took a philosophy class when i was in my 1st year in uni. the only thing i needed to memorize was the association between the name of each philosopher and his own philosophy. try to give much more reading and attention to the key words and less attention to the details. u need to know perfectly well the basic things and the details will come to u through the key words.

Hey everyone. I have a question. Its kind of dumb. But anyways does anyone have any good studying techniques?? I really need some new ones( i read the material over about 3 times, but still no luck!), because mine aren't working. Maybe I need to write down info. over and over again to memorize.. ahhhh its stressful.Especially because I have philosphy and Geology, I'm no good at either !!:( Im more of a writer and into art. Its so stressful too. Does anyone have any good techniques?Thanks :)

Want to know what I do? Are you a visual learner? That's what I am. I get handouts that don't have too many pictures on them....so I try to draw the concept out. Use a concept map. Also, if you are comparing two very similar ideas, make a color-coded chart in Ms Word. Use three columns. On the first, put the characteristic. On the 2nd and 3rd, label them your two similar terms. Then, go by each characteristic and list them side by side. Sometimes it isn't just reading it over and over that will help. You need to start developing your own slides, posters, index cards.

To find out if you are a visual learner or not, go here...http://homeworktips.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/a/learningstyle.htm

So, if you are auditory - that means you tend to learn more by hearing - get yourself a little mini cassette recorder. Take your book and read into the recorder, putting those subjects into your own words. Then you can hear it over and over after...with headphones...while driving, doing dishes, etc.

If you are a tactile learner, create some shoeboxes with tactile objects in them that relate to your subject matter.

I am a visual learner, so I created charts n MS Word, drew things, created concept maps (here is a site that explains those - http://www.graphic.org/concept.html) as well as index cards with colors. I even went so far as to color things with colored markers and pencils....you can get them at any craft store.

That's what I found out. I had to go the extra mile to get things to sink in the way I learn best.

I'm a visual learner and I revise by making mindmaps - putting all the points i need to know on 1 piece of paper with images next to them relating to the points and in different colours. Sometimes when I'm in the exam I will remember the image and that will prompt me with something else i need to write down. Other than that try rhymes or word association and let us know if any of these techniques work for you.

Back