I don't get how Dangerous (the song) and Who Is It are "too long"

BadTour87

Proud Member
I've heard so many people complain about the """""unnecessarily""""" long length of these two songs. But I really don't get it!

The length of these songs are PERFECT.

And come on, could you ever imagine only having a 7" version of Who Is It? The 7" versions, with and without the intro, feel literally empty. The length of the outro chorus segment is entirely necessary and really builds the atmosphere of the song.

And Dangerous, the other apparently "dangerously" lengthy song needs the slow tempo and extended outro. It's a good end to the song, AND the album itself.

Sure, have your opinions about the necessity of the long lengths of these two songs, but I damn won't understand them.

Honestly, Who Is It should've been longer, like this.

... is there really an open thread because certain people expressed this belief?

I don't think they're too long personally, there isn't anything wrong with people thinking they are though.

I get that people can have opinions and stuff but this is something I'll just never understand

An MJ song can never be too long, because each song is a masterpiece, a perfect little cosmos in itself. Time is irrelevat while listening :)

Concerning the end of Dangerous: I could dance to that or even just listen to it for probably an our. It is spellbinding and probably perfect for getting yourself in a trance / meditation.

An MJ song can never be too long, because each song is a masterpiece, a perfect little cosmos in itself. Time is irrelevat while listening :)

Concerning the end of Dangerous: I could dance to that or even just listen to it for probably an our. It is spellbinding and probably perfect for getting yourself in a trance / meditation.

damn yeah dude
the end of Dangerous is god-like

For me, there comes a point where the songs are just dragging and not enough is happening to warrant how long the song is.

"Who Is It," for example. Very well may be the best song on Dangerous. But the last two minutes or so consists of the chorus on loop with occasional bursts of backup vocals, most of which aren't absolutely eargasmic as they are during the first few rounds.

Similar to "Dangerous". The beat drives on without much variation.

"Will You Be There," meanwhile, needs to cut the opening Beethoven sample entirely. The final minute or so also needs a good trimming, because that's almost purely instrumental until Michael's spoken word verse.

All exquisite songs but I personally start to check my watch after a while. Some songs use this to their benefit and throw in small textures to keep things exciting ("In the Closet" does this beautifully), but most of the album just drones on and on.

For me, there comes a point where the songs are just dragging and not enough is happening to warrant how long the song is.

"Who Is It," for example. Very well may be the best song on Dangerous. But the last two minutes or so consists of the chorus on loop with occasional bursts of backup vocals, most of which aren't absolutely eargasmic as they are during the first few rounds.

Similar to "Dangerous". The beat drives on without much variation.

"Will You Be There," meanwhile, needs to cut the opening Beethoven sample entirely. The final minute or so also needs a good trimming, because that's almost purely instrumental until Michael's spoken word verse.

All exquisite songs but I personally start to check my watch after a while. Some songs use this to their benefit and throw in small textures to keep things exciting ("In the Closet" does this beautifully), but most of the album just drones on and on.

Fair point.
For me, the adlibs in Who Is It are the things that make it so good. There were adlibs in the original 8 minute demo that would've been better used in the final thing though.

And for Dangerous in the outro there's two insanely quiet notes being played over and over and that's what really makes it stand out for me.

I wouldn't advise anyone who thinks this to listen to these songs:

Genesis - Supper's Ready
Miles Davis - Pharaoh's Dance
Prince & The Revolution - America (12" version)
Van Der Graaf Generator - A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers

They're all over 20 minutes long :cheeky: There's also an unreleased version of The Beatles' Helter Skelter that's almost 30 minutes long

I've legit never heard this opinion before, and I must say that I don't agree with it.
For me every MJ song is the perfect length because that's how Michael wanted it to be.
Everyone has different opinions though (although some make more sense then others). :yes:

Back