I Have This Dream questions

rumandraisin

Proud Member
What info is known about this track and how far they got recording it. I know in early 2006 there was a press release put out by maybe Ramone saying it was still being recorded. Although I've read stuff saying that the sessions were doing with MJ producing by phone from Bahrain.

There were this two photos of him in a recording studio in late 2005, from London? Presumably working on that track.

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Michael Jackson wanted only black artists to contribute with their voices to the ‘I Have This Dream’ song (because that would give it the desired gospel feel).

As the song was being recorded (by those black artists), more artists who were also white came forward and asked to contribute to that song, so that caused a problem to the song’s original plans, and thus its recording came to a halt.

Because of that, since then the song’s all-star version remained incomplete, but Prince Abdullah confirmed that Michael Jackson did record a solo version of that song (that solo version served as the basis for the development of the all-star version of the song).

ElectricEyes2

Proud Member
I think the song dates back further. I remember hearing about it prior to Invincible.

Anna

Free As A Bird
Links and promotion of other MJ fan sites is not permitted.

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.

Last edited:

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
ElectricEyes2;4309572 said:
I think the song dates back further. I remember hearing about it prior to Invincible.

That’s a different track!

Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)

In 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, Michael wrote a totally separate song titled “I Have This Dream,” and worked on it from Bahrain. It features a chorus of black artists, from Snoop Dogg and Shirley Caesar to the O’Jays and James Ingram, but it never came out (though it was at least partially finished according to John Barnes, and does exist in some capacity, as a lucky few have heard it). Around 2007-08, Michael started reworking it as “Bottom of My Heart,” but he sadly never put vocals to it.

Anna

Free As A Bird
Lol it was literally a blog with an article that included info relevant to the topic of the thread? Wouldn't consider that promotion, way to stifle discussion.

It was a link to another fan site. Links to other fan sites are not permitted. This is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to post information from these places then post the information without linking to it.

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
It was a link to another fan site. Links to other fan sites are not permitted. This is clearly stated in the rules. If you want to post information from these places then post the information without linking to it.

You could have merely deleted the link from the posts if that was the problem. Deleting entire posts and then telling users to post it all again but without a link it is pretty silly.

Anna

Free As A Bird
You could have merely deleted the link from the posts if that was the problem. Deleting entire posts and then telling users to post it all again but without a link it is pretty silly.

"Entire posts". The first post is literally "Just found this article, with some interesting info. Hopefully we get to hear it one day." followed by the link. And the other post is a few sentences referencing information from the link, which makes no sense without the information from the link. If you want to continue complaining, please take it to PM.

rumandraisin

Proud Member
And the there's From The Bottom Of My Heart. How much do we know about that from the same era

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
"Entire posts". The first post is literally "Just found this article, with some interesting info. Hopefully we get to hear it one day." followed by the link. And the other post is a few sentences referencing information from the link, which makes no sense without the information from the link. If you want to continue complaining, please take it to PM.

For some reason I thought the info had also been posted. General sentiment still stands though.

Last edited:

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member
AlwaysThere;4309625 said:
That’s a different track!

Michael, Carole Bayer Sager, and David Foster worked on a song titled “I Have This Dream” in 1999. Michael described it as an anthem to bring humanity into the new millennium with optimism, but it got sidelined when Carole introduced him to Rodney Jerkins. (It was also subject to a DISASTROUS lyric writing competition in 2002.)

In 2005, after Hurricane Katrina, Michael wrote a totally separate song titled “I Have This Dream,” and worked on it from Bahrain. It features a chorus of black artists, from Snoop Dogg and Shirley Caesar to the O’Jays and James Ingram, but it never came out (though it was at least partially finished according to John Barnes, and does exist in some capacity, as a lucky few have heard it). Around 2007-08, Michael started reworking it as “Bottom of My Heart,” but he sadly never put vocals to it.

So I Have This Dream is probably able to be finished with what's available but Bottom Of My Heart is just using elements from it but is a totally different song?

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
So I Have This Dream is probably able to be finished with what's available but Bottom Of My Heart is just using elements from it but is a totally different song?

The all-star version of "I Have This Dream" is definitely complete in some capacity. No clue about an MJ solo version, but I'd put money down that one exists as a framework for the vocalists (similar to what was done for "We Are the World" and "What More Can I Give").

"I Have This Dream"/"Bottom of My Heart," as far as I'm aware, is comparable to "Al Capone"/"Smooth Criminal" -- song B is a polished, repurposed, rewritten version of song A. I have no idea how similar the two songs are though, and according to Damien Shields, vocals were never recorded.

SRT99

Proud Member
AlwaysThere;4309625 said:

That begs the question, is the instrumental that's on YouTube the real deal, like, the version from this competition?

Mikky Dee

Sunset Driver, Midnight Rider

It's better to actually post the article here, with a link to the source, rather than just link straight to the blog or the website. That way discussion can continue, here, without members being led away from MJJC. That's always been the policy on this forum and also on quite a few others that I have been associated with.