I Just Can't Stop Loving You (Spanish, French, English)

Love.him

Proud Member
Hi Everyone:

I thought it would be nice to discuss I Just Can't Stop Loving You, especially with those of you who know Spanish and French well. I usually prefer Spanish over French, but in this case I think the French version sounds better. I think the lyrics flow better in French than in Spanish. What do those of you who know these languages well think?

Those of you who know Spanish well, does the Spanish version flow well? The part where he sings "y" stands out to me but I wonder how it sounds to those who know Spanish well.

I've included the original full version of I Just Can't Stop Loving You in English too because we can't buy this version anymore.

One more question: does anyone know if Michael sang any of his other songs in other languages? I don't think he did but thought I'd ask.

Lh

(Spanish) Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7U0ADWpVdw

(French ) Je Ne Veux Pas La Fin De Nous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAxbUztkfHM

(English, original spoken intro version) I Just Can't Stop Loving You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tai2j3dVSUQ

Last edited:
I love all versions :wub: One thing I have never known or haven't even thought about until now, Is it still Siedah Garret that duet's with him on the other versions?

its true. I'm from South America and Spanish version doesn't flow as well as the French version. But I think is translations fault because Michael sings that song like he spoke spanish all his life.
That spanish version always amaze me, he pronounce the words so well, and you can imagine it's so sweet for my ears :D (sorry for my english)

It's good isn't it? I really like it & I usually prefer Spanish over French.

I've never heard the French version before....sexy hehe :p

I'm pretty sure it is her on all three versions.

I love all versions :wub: One thing I have never known or haven't even thought about until now, Is it still Siedah Garret that duet's with him on the other versions?

I'm glad you posted. I'm very interested to see how it sounds for native speakers. I agree with you. I think it's just the way the translation was done. I have the Spanish version from the Special Edition of Bad which also has an interview with Quincy Jones. He said the Spanish version was written by the woman he was living with at the time. I don't know what her name was, but I do wander what the story is behind the French version. Also, Quincy said it was a funny story behind the Spanish version but he doesn't get to tell us on the CD.

By the way, your English is good :)

its true. I'm from South America and Spanish version doesn't flow as well as the French version. But I think is translations fault because Michael sings that song like he spoke spanish all his life.
That spanish version always amaze me, he pronounce the words so well, and you can imagine it's so sweet for my ears :D (sorry for my english)

I love all the versions of this song. It's such a beautiful love song and my favorite long song for that matter. The French version I love so much. It's so sexy. The Spanish version is gorgeous too. Such a pretty, pretty song when sung in a different language.

I agree. I've always loved this song. I don't think it's one of the weakest tracks on the Bad album at all.

(Spanish) Todo Mi Amor Eres Tu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7U0ADWpVdw

(French ) Je Ne Veux Pas La Fin De Nous
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAxbUztkfHM

(English, original spoken intro version) I Just Can't Stop Loving You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tai2j3dVSUQ
:wub:

I think all versions are beautiful and perfect, well... has the voice of incredible Siedah Garrett. :wild: No matter what language is... the voice of Michael will always be beautiful. :yes:

That spanish version always amaze me, he pronounce the words so well
, and you can imagine it's so sweet for my ears :D (sorry for my english)

Ain't that the truth? :lol: he does sound amazing. I actually prefer the Spanish version, but that is entirely subjective cause of my love affair with all things, language and especially people of Spanish origin. Apropósito, no te preocupes por tu inglés, es maravilloso. :cheeky:

I really loved the fact he did the song in three languages. I love multiculturalism and it was only befitting for the globe's greatest artist to reach out to all his different audiences.

Ain't that the truth? :lol: he does sound amazing. I actually prefer the Spanish version, but that is entirely subjective cause of my love affair with all things, language and especially people of Spanish origin. Apropósito, no te preocupes por tu inglés, es maravilloso. :cheeky:

I really loved the fact he did the song in three languages. I love multiculturalism and it was only befitting for the globe's greatest artist to reach out to all his different audiences.

gracias, eres muy dulce :D

I also remember "What more can I give" in spanish. Michael said like 4 words but still, it's great to hear him.

he said: "llámame y yo vendré por ti" at 2:13http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCYtZuCop8 such a cutie! :wub:

I also remember "What more can I give" in spanish. Michael said like 4 words but still, it's great to hear him.

he said: "llámame y yo vendré por ti" at 2:13http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NCYtZuCop8 such a cutie! :wub:

De nada, estoy solamente diciendo la verdad :)

I had actually forgotten about the Spanish version of What more can i give (a wonderful, yet so underrated song). He does sound lovely even if he sings only a few words. Actually those words remind me of You are not alone - whisper three words and i'll come running.

I remember the performance of the original English version for the concert in D.C. in October 2001 and how proud i was of him, truly a magical moment. It's always so beautiful to see artists coming together to bring a message of hope, peace and solidarity. Too bad it takes tragedies like 9/11 or the Haitian earthquake for people all over the world to open up their hearts to the suffering of others. Why can't mercy and love be facts of everyday life rather than extraordinary shows of humanity brought about by tragedy at huge scale???...I betta stop rambling now, it's late.

I'm glad Michael did this song. It's always been one of my favorites :)

I think all versions are beautiful and perfect, well... has the voice of incredible Siedah Garrett. :wild: No matter what language is... the voice of Michael will always be beautiful. :yes:

Yeah, I'm glad Michael did at least one of his songs in more than one language. He obviously liked a challenge and it's nice to see another side to him as most people would not expect to hear him in another language. I find it strange that it was not as well known that he did this. I wonder if it was Michael's idea to sing this song in other languages. This is the song he couldn't resist singing full out with Judith Hill. I also wonder if it was because he enjoyed having someone else to sing it with or if it's b/c the song has always been a particular favorite of his.

I remember being disappointed that Enrique Iglesias wasn't going to be joining in on that version or the English one. Thanks for the link. I haven't heard the Spanish version in ages! :)

Edit: I meant to add. I shared the link to the French version with someone who knows French well and she says he sings it as if it's his language also. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm glad Michael did at least one of his songs in more than one language. He obviously liked a challenge and it's nice to see another side to him as most people would not expect to hear him in another language. I find it strange that it was not as well known that he did this. I wonder if it was Michael's idea to sing this song in other languages. This is the song he couldn't resist singing full out with Judith Hill. I also wonder if it was because he enjoyed having someone else to sing it with or if it's b/c the song has always been a particular favorite of his.
It's so amazing to see another Michael singing in another language. You realize how much it dominates other language very easily and has an excellent fluency. As we know, he knew other languages and I think at some point he must have thought to record other songs in other languages. :yes: :wild:

I think the presence of one woman to sing along with it a song (I Just Can not Stop Loving You) should be because it's a song that speaks of love in an intense way. The lyric is so romantic and intense and the performances of this song you realize that there is a small romantic scene between the 2 that is so evident in Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour. :wub:

Yeah, I know. It is a very romantic and beautiful song. I just find it interesting that he chose to do this with just one song. In 1987 Madonna was doing Spanish flavored songs: La Isla Bonita, Who's That Girl. Gloria Estefan was singing in English, Spanish & Portuguese. Maybe that's where the idea came from. I'm just interested in learning a bit more about these versions as we don't usually discuss them.

It's so amazing to see another Michael singing in another language. You realize how much it dominates other language very easily and has an excellent fluency. As we know, he knew other languages and I think at some point he must have thought to record other songs in other languages. :yes: :wild:

I think the presence of one woman to sing along with it a song (I Just Can not Stop Loving You) should be because it's a song that speaks of love in an intense way. The lyric is so romantic and intense and the performances of this song you realize that there is a small romantic scene between the 2 that is so evident in Bad Tour and Dangerous Tour. :wub:

I have to admit this isn't my favourite song at all but I study French.. so where else could I hear the language than in the French version of IJCSLY!? :lol: I used to listen to it and try to understand what they're singing but it's a really difficult language so it didn't really help lol. And it's also so easy to get distracted while listening to it and just forget about everything..

I have the Spanish version from the Special Edition of Bad which also has an interview with Quincy Jones. He said the Spanish version was written by the woman he was living with at the time.

Nop, that's not true. The Spanish version was written by Ruben Blades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubén_Blades), who is a very well known latin american singer and songwriter.

''Je ne veux pas la fin de nous" lyrics were written by Christine "Coconut" Decroix. It was never officially released because French-speaking people were having difficulties to understand what they were singing, due to a not-that-good accent.

It's been said that an italian version (and some others say that a japanese version as well) was recorded, but there's nothing more than that, rumours.

Wikipedia isn't 100% reliable. From what I've heard, it can be edited by anyone and isn't fact checked.

As for the French version, the person I know who knows French quite, used to be fluent said it was fine.

Nop, that's not true. The Spanish version was written by Ruben Blades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubén_Blades), who is a very well known latin american singer and songwriter.

''Je ne veux pas la fin de nous" lyrics were written by Christine "Coconut" Decroix. It was never officially released because French-speaking people were having difficulties to understand what they were singing, due to a not-that-good accent.

It's been said that an italian version (and some others say that a japanese version as well) was recorded, but there's nothing more than that, rumours.

I just done listening to the French version again and I gotta say that i notice somewhat of a Canadian accent lol, Canada as in other regions than Quebec, someone who's main language remains English. The words seem to be sang with more ease and they flow more naturally in Spanish, but maybe that's just my subjective opinion. In any case, the ending with them few words in English seems to be the 'liberation' part lol, as though they were in safe waters again, to say so.

I think both versions are wonderful, their lyrics as well and the mere thought to do something like this says a lot about Michael's awareness of the world, the diversity of his fan base and the beauty of world cultures. Bless him for all of that.

2mo16vs.jpg

Shamone85, your siggy rocks, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Last edited:
Interesting, I was wondering if maybe it was French as used in Quebec when I read Rockin R's response mmm. I think the English bits are just recorded & carried over from the English version.

I just done listening to the French version again and I gotta say that i notice somewhat of a Canadian accent lol, Canada as in other regions than Quebec, someone who's main language remains English. The words seem to be sang with more ease and they flow more naturally in Spanish, but maybe that's just my subjective opinion. In any case, the ending with them few words in English seems to be the 'liberation' part lol, as though they were in safe waters again, to say so.

I think both versions are wonderful, their lyrics as well and the mere thought to do something like this says a lot about Michael's awareness of the world, the diversity of his fan base and the beauty of world cultures. Bless him for all of that.

2mo16vs.jpg

Shamone85, your siggy rocks, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Wikipedia isn't 100% reliable. From what I've heard, it can be edited by anyone and isn't fact checked.

As for the French version, the person I know who knows French quite, used to be fluent said it was fine.

I know about WIKIPEDIA, I just put the website, for you to check RUBEN BLADES biography.But he IS the writer of TODO MI AMOR ERES TU.Quincy contacted him, and he was the one who taught Michael the words in spanish in just 3 days.Here's an article about that: http://www.univision.com/content/content.jhtml?cid=1996813 (it's in spanish, but you'll be able to translate).

As for the french version, i also think it sounds really good, but on some other forums it is said that the main reason for him not releasing the french version was that he wasn't happy with it.

And I found an article about Cristine Decroix : Decroix Snider was a singer with the Belgian girl-pop group the Lovelettes in the 1970s. (“That was 30 years ago, darling,” she says with a laugh.) She became friendly with Quincy Jones while living in Los Angeles, and, amazingly, translated Michael Jackson’s 1987 song “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” into French (“Je Ne Veux Pas La Fin de Nous”). “He’s a great person, a person people should meet before they talk about him,” she says of Jackson. Michael started recording the song in July of 87, but had to stop because he was about to begin the BAD TOUR, so he finished recording it in September.

On MJJ FRANCE (http://www.mjfrance.com/michael-jac.../bad-tour/interview-de-christine-coco-decroix) there's an interview where he also mentions Ruben Blades:

I met Quincy in Los Angeles through some friends we had in common. We sympathized. I moved there to learn English. Quincy invited me to the recording sessions of Bad. When I heard "I just can not stop loving you" I told Michael that he should sing in French because it is a harmonious language appropriate for this kind of romantic melodies. Quincy asked me to write translation. I did it and Michael recorded it.

What is the title in French?
""Je ne veux pas la fin de nous"" It is intended for french people. Michael also recorded a beautiful version in Spanish written by Ruben Blades . After that, I think Julio Iglesias will have problems.

How did it go?
First I wrote a few sentences. It was hard, I had never done that. For me it was the first time. My English teacher asked me to stop. "I'm trying to teach English," he said, "and you spend your time writing in French, with that in mind, you'll never speak well." So I stopped. But after a while, Quincy encouraged me to continue. The song pleased Michael,so they began recording in July. Then he had to start the tour and we finished recording in early September.There is talk that he recorded a CD with four songs in French for the French market.

Michael speaks French?
A little bit. He mostly has a very good ear. He repeats the words instantly without stress. He gave his best, maybe because he must make an effort of attention.

How is Michael?
He is great. He is a very sensitive boy and terribly shy. When he does not know the people, he dares not speak to them. He dares not to even look. So we may believe that he is rude While it is quite the opposite. At first I thought that I was interrupting and that my presence was too much. It's very embarrassing. And then, gradually, after having seen Quincy a couple of times, he started looking at me. Then he said hello. He needs to be comfortable. When this happens, it is extremely attentive, he is still worried whether everything goes well, if one is happy or sad. This is the most considerate boy I ever met. it was a wonderful experience working with him. It's really strange what happened.

Last edited:
Ohhhhh :)
How amazingly lovely
''dont make me sing out...........'' Sorry I know this pic belongs in TII pics thread........but couldnt resist! xxx
ijustcantstoplovinguthisisis-1.jpg

Last edited:
I like the spanish version even more than the english actually lol, his voice is so smooth and the vibrato stands out so much, i think spanish is just a more eloquent flowing language than english anyway

How is Michael?
He is great. He is a very sensitive boy and terribly shy. When he does not know the people, he dares not speak to them. He dares not to even look. So we may believe that he is rude While it is quite the opposite. At first I thought that I was interrupting and that my presence was too much. It's very embarrassing. And then, gradually, after having seen Quincy a couple of times, he started looking at me. Then he said hello. He needs to be comfortable. When this happens, it is extremely attentive, he is still worried whether everything goes well, if one is happy or sad. This is the most considerate boy I ever met. it was a wonderful experience working with him. It's really strange what happened.
:wild:

It was so beautiful and sweet. :yes: :wub:

Thanks for all the info. you have shared, Rockin R. It's just I see Wikipedia referred to here so much. I just wanted to remind people that it's not 100% reliable. The MJ Web site I mainly used before joining this one actually banned Wikipedia, so I didn't mean any offense. I just think it's something to bare in mind generally.

Ruben Blades looks familiar. I wonder where I've seen him before. It's interesting that Quincy says his ex girl friend wrote the Spanish version.

I know about WIKIPEDIA, I just put the website, for you to check RUBEN BLADES biography.But he IS the writer of TODO MI AMOR ERES TU.Quincy contacted him, and he was the one who taught Michael the words in spanish in just 3 days.Here's an article about that: http://www.univision.com/content/content.jhtml?cid=1996813 (it's in spanish, but you'll be able to translate).

As for the french version, i also think it sounds really good, but on some other forums it is said that the main reason for him not releasing the french version was that he wasn't happy with it.

And I found an article about Cristine Decroix : Decroix Snider was a singer with the Belgian girl-pop group the Lovelettes in the 1970s. (“That was 30 years ago, darling,” she says with a laugh.) She became friendly with Quincy Jones while living in Los Angeles, and, amazingly, translated Michael Jackson’s 1987 song “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” into French (“Je Ne Veux Pas La Fin de Nous”). “He’s a great person, a person people should meet before they talk about him,” she says of Jackson. Michael started recording the song in July of 87, but had to stop because he was about to begin the BAD TOUR, so he finished recording it in September.

On MJJ FRANCE (http://www.mjfrance.com/michael-jac.../bad-tour/interview-de-christine-coco-decroix) there's an interview where he also mentions Ruben Blades:

I met Quincy in Los Angeles through some friends we had in common. We sympathized. I moved there to learn English. Quincy invited me to the recording sessions of Bad. When I heard "I just can not stop loving you" I told Michael that he should sing in French because it is a harmonious language appropriate for this kind of romantic melodies. Quincy asked me to write translation. I did it and Michael recorded it.

What is the title in French?
""Je ne veux pas la fin de nous"" It is intended for french people. Michael also recorded a beautiful version in Spanish written by Ruben Blades . After that, I think Julio Iglesias will have problems.

How did it go?
First I wrote a few sentences. It was hard, I had never done that. For me it was the first time. My English teacher asked me to stop. "I'm trying to teach English," he said, "and you spend your time writing in French, with that in mind, you'll never speak well." So I stopped. But after a while, Quincy encouraged me to continue. The song pleased Michael,so they began recording in July. Then he had to start the tour and we finished recording in early September.There is talk that he recorded a CD with four songs in French for the French market.

Michael speaks French?
A little bit. He mostly has a very good ear. He repeats the words instantly without stress. He gave his best, maybe because he must make an effort of attention.

How is Michael?

Billie Jean09, the TII pic is very welcome in this thread. Love the way Michael sings this song in TII. I love the changes he made especially towards the end when he sings "I just can't stop" It's like it was becoming more jazzy. The Way You Make Me Feel also has a bluesy feel to it. Makes me realize it would have been interesting to hear Michael do alternative versions of his songs: less pop orientated. I definitely think some of his songs had room to be interpreted differently.

I love the French & Spanish versions and I understand them too (the French better)..but I have to admit, the English version is my fave. :heart:

Ruben Blades was also in charge of the translation of WHAT MORE CAN I GIVE , and he also sang in the song.

Back