Lack of songs from the BAD album at the 1987 shows

In a way I always was sad that Thriller became so big, if it didn't happen, the brothers would probably continue recording and touring together and belting out albums every other year.

I seriously doubt this. MJ already worked alone on The Wiz and he had the most established solo carrier already at Motown (not that it was very different from the J5 stuff...). Choosing a solo route was more to do with his own, independent vision about his art IMO than with the success itself. Like, what could the brothers contribute to the Bad album (NOT because they aren't talented enough, but because, really, what? Play bass, be a background dancer in the Smooth Criminal video, and that's it?). They were on different paths as well.

And yes, it's like MJ rarely dropped an album in a half-decade, but... after Thriller he actually did the Victory Tour, WATW, Captain EO, wrote and recorded 1 billion songs for Bad, did Moonwalker, revolutionized music videos (short films!) again, and performed at a giant world tour (and then probably went into hibernation like bears to rest after all these "nothings" :D).

Last edited:
I seriously doubt this. MJ already worked alone on The Wiz and he had the most established solo carrier already at Motown (not that it was very different from the J5 stuff...). Choosing a solo route was more to do with his own, independent vision about his art IMO than with the success itself. Like, what could the brothers contribute to the Bad album (NOT because they aren't talented enough, but because, really, what? Play bass, be a background dancer in the Smooth Criminal video, and that's it?). They were on different paths as well.

And yes, it's like MJ rarely dropped an album in a half-decade, but... after Thriller he actually did the Victory Tour, WATW, Captain EO, wrote and recorded 1 billion songs for Bad, did Moonwalker, revolutionized music videos (short films!) again, and performed at a giant world tour (and then probably went into hibernation like bears to rest after all these "nothings" :D).

He was doing that from 1970 till 1982 and then it stopped. He recorded so many songs in between that are good but are not on any album. I'm very selfish, I want to hear everything and more. I'd prefer a new MJ or Jacksons album every year over a film or charity song :p

Thriller happened and it's all good but just when the brothers and Michael got their big breakthrough after leaving Motown (Destiny/Triumph) they pretty much disbanded, there was more in the locker!

Now I will stop complaining because I sound like a spoiled brat :p Forgive me though it's been a while since we were treated with some Michael music!

So about those lack of songs..... leave me alone should've been performed period! Lip sync or not like smooth criminal & by this time I'm sure he would've had choreography on tour like dangerous. My imagination boi....

ozemouze;4291271 said:

Exactly. Michael wrote in Moonwalk that “During the mid-seventies we were in danger of becoming an oldies act, and I wasn't even eighteen yet.” – I think, he always had a stronger urge to innovate than his brothers.

ozemouze;4291271 said:

Yep. I read an article from early 1987 in Spin magazine, called “Running Scared”, where they make it look like MJ was sitting in his studio scared to release a follow up to Thriller and procrastinating, with Quincy trying to get him to at least sing a single line – while in reality he did all the things you mentioned. Of course they never wrote another peep about this after MJ returned to the scene with all those short films etc that he had completed while they were making wild speculations. :rofl:

I feel most some BAD songs should of been preformed. it was the BAD tour. if i'm going to a concert with a album. i'm excepting to heard the songs off the album. he did do a few but not lot.

I guess he did other songs because there was his favorite or/maybe those was the fans favorites. he mostly tour for his fans anyway so maybe that why all his solo tours lack it new songs etc.

Michael claimed that everytime he tried to make changes to his tours fans complain why he change something on his tours. so that could be another reason why.

So about those lack of songs..... leave me alone should've been performed

I agree with ya. that really could have blew up well for what he was going though during the time with the media. like when he perform scream on the history tours. in my opinion Michael should of at least put one or two injustice songs in his tours. starting with leave me alone in the late 80's others later in life.

Michael was never scared to release music. most of the time he be making it and doing other things like touring and having a life. he took longer to release music because he was being creative etc so it could be "perfect". he was perfectionist after all. lol! boy the media hate it this man.

I feel most some BAD songs should of been preformed. it was the BAD tour. if i'm going to a concert with a album. i'm excepting to heard the songs off the album. he did do a few but not lot.

He did perform a lot of songs off of Bad....in fact he performed most songs off of Bad. 7/10 songs (on the standard version of the album) is a lot. There are artists who do 3 songs from their new albums during their tours because they feel like the audience wants to hear the hits.

I guess he did other songs because there was his favorite or/maybe those was the fans favorites. he mostly tour for his fans anyway so maybe that why all his solo tours lack it new songs etc.

Michael claimed that everytime he tried to make changes to his tours fans complain why he change something on his tours. so that could be another reason why.

7 out of 10 songs (not counting Leave Me Alone) is a few? Lol. Or are you just specifically talking about the 1st leg and not the Bad Tour overall?

7 out of 10 songs (not counting Leave Me Alone) is a few? Lol. Or are you just specifically talking about the 1st leg and not the Bad Tour overall?

Dangerous had 4 or 5 from the album
HIStory had 7 or 8 (not counting Blood) from the album.

I do think though the bad album was made with stadiums in mind, like they said in the Bad 25 documentary

While I love the BAD tour. Michael really could of done more on stage with his tours. still love the BAD tour. one of his best tours in my opinion.

And when the BAD album was complete Michael immediately began working on what would become the Dangerous album.

And when the BAD album was complete Michael immediately began working on what would become the Dangerous album.

And considering what Michael put into the Bad campaign, and that these two albums are only 4 years apart, is phenomenal.

And built Neverland alongside of that. Not a small feat either, considering that it was just a plain old ranch in the middle of nowhere when he bought. it.

Michael was a busy man. I can see why he was tired all the time not mention his insomnia.

But it was also his passion. Seeing the fruits of his labour come to life. And as a creative soul he was compelled to create and his ability to do that must have been immensely nourishing.

He also hadn't yet placed any limits on his ambition.

Yeah I know I was just saying. we all should be glad what he did for us. because in reality he didn't have to do it. he did it mostly for us.

The Jacksons worked very well as a band for years because of Michael Jackson.

Without him, they could not have achieved anything because they were untalented, and the ‘2300 Jackson Street’ album (1989) is one proof for that.

That album (without Michael Jackson’s involvement) went totally unnoticed, and its poor success even made the Epic label end the contract with the band.

And you can spot the lack of talent of his brothers also during the Victory Tour when his brothers resorted to certain things on stage (pantomime, ridiculous costumes, pointless visual effects, etc) in order to hide their lack of any real talent.

Let’s be honest about that: the only two talented siblings from the Jackson family are Michael Jackson and his sister Janet Jackson.

Randy was in charge co-author of most hit songs by The Jacksons. Randy did most of the work on Shake Your Body.

Jermaine is a pretty good soul-RnB singer, he sang with Whitney Houston. He has videos with millions of views. He is a very soulful singer of love lyrics.

In 2300 Jackson Street there is good stuff. For example If You'd Only Believe, Nothin, Art of Madness.

Back