Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

Screenshots?
Of course !

Screenshot-2022-01-05-18-07-20-015-com-instagram-android.jpg

Seems like a lot of the remaining MJ-Loren songs are formatted like “To Satisfy You” — MJ on the chorus, Loren on the verses. I feel like these songs might be suited for the Drake/“Don’t Matter to Me” treatment, should they go that route.

So I'm confused about Best of Joy. Wasn't it supposedly recorded in 2008 or 2009 as the last song MJ ever worked on or something? But it was actually recorded in the 80s for Thriller and only had a few changes over the years? Are the vocals on the 2010 version the same as the vocals on the demo?

So I'm confused about Best of Joy. Wasn't it supposedly recorded in 2008 or 2009 as the last song MJ ever worked on or something? But it was actually recorded in the 80s for Thriller and only had a few changes over the years? Are the vocals on the 2010 version the same as the vocals on the demo?
The vocals on Best of Joy were recorded in late 2008. There is a clear difference between The Toy's vocals and Best of Joy's vocals.

Seems like a lot of the remaining MJ-Loren songs are formatted like “To Satisfy You” — MJ on the chorus, Loren on the verses. I feel like these songs might be suited for the Drake/“Don’t Matter to Me” treatment, should they go that route.
At least they're vocally complete by sheer technicality. I really hope they end up leaking one day, despite how Loren thinks about people who leak his stuff.

The vocals on Best of Joy were recorded in late 2008. There is a clear difference between The Toy's vocals and Best of Joy's vocals.
We’re they though, or was it just a marketing PR?

I keep wondering the same about the WBSS 2008 vocals. They same to be from a demo.

I keep wondering the same about the WBSS 2008 vocals. They same to be from a demo.
The vocals on “WBSS” are undoubtedly from late 2007. It’s sung several keys lower than any existing version, and the tone/performance hews closer to “Best of Joy” and “Hold My Hand” than anything from the 1970s or 1980s. It’s the only vocal that we can say was definitively and unquestionably recorded in the Cascio studio.

The vocals on “WBSS” are undoubtedly from late 2007. It’s sung several keys lower than any existing version, and the tone/performance hews closer to “Best of Joy” and “Hold My Hand” than anything from the 1970s or 1980s. It’s the only vocal that we can say was definitively and unquestionably recorded in the Cascio studio.

MJ's voice sounded so good. I love how he tried to sound closer to how he did during Thriller on that recording. He pulled it off quite well imo.

MJ's voice sounded so good. I love how he tried to sound closer to how he did during Thriller on that recording. He pulled it off quite well imo.
Agreed. He sounded fantastic during his final years, especially here. His voice definitely changed but he still retained that youthful tone. Most artists his age, with a career as long as his, would kill to be able to sing that well in their late 40s.

I too appreciate MJ's voice a lot in his final years. I have always felt he had one last great album in him and that is mainly because he sounded very vibrant in the recordings I heard of that era.

Another perfect example is the DSTYGE snippet he does in the this is it film.
I know TII has been altered, but the final minute or so of “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” specifically the high notes and the ad-libbing, are f**king outstanding. I really wish he left behind more usable material from his final sessions because by all accounts the rough demos are amazing.

I know TII has been altered, but the final minute or so of “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” specifically the high notes and the ad-libbing, are f**king outstanding. I really wish he left behind more usable material from his final sessions because by all accounts the rough demos are amazing.
omg, that last minute or two! Hands down the best two minutes in the entire film. The TII of IJCSLY is my fave version, anyway, but those closing moments - jeez! 😲

It's transcendent. Truly.

Don’t Make Me Stay” — Scratch vocal, recorded a significant distance from the microphone. Only coherent lyrics are the title. Reminiscent of “Runaway” by Janet .
Guys what mean that can't hear it ?

Actually the 2008 version is pretty similar to the 2010 one
Plenty of people said that the 2008 demo has a production that's similarly bland as the 1981 version, the only notable difference being the third verse. Neff-U turned it into a whole new song with his remix.

I can't fathom why Neff-U removed the third verse. He did an absolute amazing job with the 2010 mix. Using the third verse would be the icing on the cake. Maybe the 3rd verse is from a different vocal session and they had their reasons to exclude it? Why not maximise "Mj's last song ever" to its fullest potential at least instead of removing the third verse

I can't fathom why Neff-U removed the third verse. He did an absolute amazing job with the 2010 mix. Using the third verse would be the icing on the cake. Maybe the 3rd verse is from a different vocal session and they had their reasons to exclude it? Why not maximise "Mj's last song ever" to its fullest potential at least instead of removing the third verse
I can sort of see why they decided to remove the third verse? I mean, the vocals are too soft and doesn't match the rest of the song. It's the only explanation I can come up for it.

I can sort of see why they decided to remove the third verse? I mean, the vocals are too soft and doesn't match the rest of the song. It's the only explanation I can come up for it.
Yeah, they left it and the alternative bridge off because of it not meshing well. That was a Reddit comment someone made in response to me.

Back