Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

Apparently the credits provided in the booklet for Scared of the Moon were correct. The song was demoed for a never realized children's storybook recording.
Scared of the Moon was an unrealised project similar to the ET Storybook album, with the song as the centrepiece. It would've played a similar role to Someone in the Dark most likely. It was continuously delayed because of Captain EO, and then Bad album.

The song was worked on for History. So from what I could tell it sounded like the version from TUC is the earliest version worked on by Forger.

According to Forger, WDYK & WALWTG were never considered for Thriller.
No way, the Estate lied? Why would they ever do that?

I knew something wasn't right, there was no way WALWTG was a Thriller song, the whole thing sounds like it's from the 70's. Maybe the Estate is also lying when they say Sunset Driver is entirely from Thriller.

He said that they were worked on in-between Off the Wall and Thriller. You can hear Michael's brothers and sisters in both recordings, so I'd say they were both initially worked on for Triumph.

My educated guess would be that when the Thriller project began in '82, MJ had a backlog of songs he'd written for Off the Wall and Triumph that he felt would better be suited for a solo album, rather than a Jacksons album.

In addition to Billie Jean, written in '81, he selected the best of the best of what he had to offer from the last few years to present to Quincy, Rod etc. Deciding that WBSS was the best he had to offer.

So yes, they weren't worked on by Quincy for Thriller. But there's no doubt that MJ at least considered presenting them.
So WDYK is exclusively a Victory track then?
I'd say he probably revisited it after Thriller like he always did with older tracks, but that it never had any serious developments from the version we got on T40. It probably naturally evolved into I'm So Blue at some point after the fact.

They didn't lie. At least, I don't think they did.

MJ presented very few songs to Quincy for Thriller, compared to the amount he had written. The fact that he was afraid to present WBSS for Off the Wall should give you an idea of the situation. There's no doubt in my mind that MJ wrote and recorded WDYK after Off the Wall and before Thriller, and considered presenting it to Quincy.

But bear in mind that MJ wanted songs with an 'edge' for Thriller, the complete opposite of most of the T40 bonus tracks. The only track that might not belong on a Thriller re-release is WALWTG, which, as everyone knows, sounds pre-Off the Wall.

Matt Forger just confirmed on The MJ Cast that MJ likely recorded a guide vocal for “Groove of Midnight” during the Bad sessions. Given that such a demo couldn’t be located for Bad 25, does this mean that it’s not in the estate’s possession?
What does mean guide vocal ?

I'm So Blue has such similar lyrics and melody to Who Do You Know that I think it can be assumed that one song 'became' the other. Sort of like a Streetwalker/Dangerous situation. But only it happened after Victory, during the Bad sessions.

Ah okay, wish people would stop presenting theories and assumptions as if they are somehow true on here lol. This thread is about ending confusion not creating more.

Ah okay, wish people would stop presenting theories and assumptions as if they are somehow true on here lol. This thread is about ending confusion not creating more.
Yeah, sorry about that. Sometimes trying to clear confusion only leads to more. If the Estate were more concise with their explanation of these songs rather than than a vague 'It was worked on for Thriller', it would probably be easier to get a clear picture of a particular songs lifecycle.

That being said, despite being an assumption, the lifecycle of WDYK, beginning in 1980, probably ended in I'm So Blue

I'm not a fan of the song tbh, don't know what Michael saw in it for him to have worked on it for half his career but that's just me.

I'm not a fan of the song tbh, don't know what Michael saw in it for him to have worked on it for half his career but that's just me.
It is acquired taste. For me it is magical. I love all the similar MJ tracks. I also don't think it is a demo. His voice shines through on these songs.
Similar songs not thematically but based on following key words: rousing, acoustic, orchestral, epic in a small scale way, intimate, sweeping
-Childhood
-Someone In The Dark
-Too Young
-The Lost Children
-You Were There
-One Day IN Your Life
-Be Not Always
-Time Waits For No One
-Push Me Away
-Dreams Away
-Gone Too Soon
-Even Though Your Gone
-Find Me A Girl
-Speechless
-You've Got A Friend
-Dreamer
-Ben
-Music & Me
-Happy
-Morning Glow
-She's Out Of My Life
-Smile
-Much Too Soon
-I'm So Blue
-Good Times
-For All Time
-To Make My Father Proud

Roger Troutman. So what is the instrumental that was on the next album? I'll have to find out. It must be on the Roger album released in 1987, Unlimited! But which track?
It could have been released on Unlimited or Bridging the Gap. Or the song simply remains unreleased till this day.🤷‍♂️

Since Damien has heard the instrumental of Tomboy at USCO, he should be able to identify and tell whether or not it has found its way onto a album of Roger's

This thread has exclusively condensed the confusion into 1 coherent place. Now we have even less knowledge of where these tracks come from.

I knew something wasn't right, there was no way WALWTG was a Thriller song, the whole thing sounds like it's from the 70's. Maybe the Estate is also lying when they say Sunset Driver is entirely from Thriller.
Of course it's not a Thriller song. It's a Thriller outtake. And by that, I mean a song that existed before 1982 that he may have thought about for at least 5 seconds during the Thriller sessions.

It could have been released on Unlimited or Bridging the Gap. Or the song simply remains unreleased till this day.🤷‍♂️

Since Damien has heard the instrumental of Tomboy at USCO, he should be able to identify and tell whether or not it has found its way onto a album of Roger's
listening to the album, the song "Thrill Seekers" REALLY sounds like a Bad beat, hell i hear the synth drop that was used in a few Dangerous songs in it.

We not gonna gaslight ourselves into believing some random song off this dude's album is an MJ tune lol.

But it's either Thrill Seekers or Private Lover.

I agree but we're looking for "Remember the Time" melodies firstly lol

And it's just kinda funny

MJ fans hear good music and be like "Is this secretly because of MJ? It just has joke potential lol

I agree but we're looking for "Remember the Time" melodies firstly lol

And it's just kinda funny

MJ fans hear good music and be like "Is this secretly because of MJ? It just has joke potential lol
i think ye are being overly critical, the album itself is actually good, we are just looking for tracks and similarities to mj's work.
i hear both the bass lick to Superfly Sister, along with some of the drops and sounds used in Dangerous tracks, if that isnt a giveaway idk what is.

i think ye are being overly critical, the album itself is actually good, we are just looking for tracks and similarities to mj's work.
i hear both the bass lick to Superfly Sister, along with some of the drops and sounds used in Dangerous tracks, if that isnt a giveaway idk what is.
I'm just being facetious lol. I agree that there is similarities to some MJ songs. And Roger was an icon, and still is.

Given that the copyright registry from decades ago cites it as having been done in 1981, I think it qualifies as a Thriller-era outtake. Probably written and recorded during the early sessions but never seriously considered. But of course the estate doesn’t know how to clearly acknowledge that lmfao

I see a lot of people saying that they couldn’t have been considered since they “sounded old,” but that doesn’t mean anything. MJ also reworked “Scared of the Moon” for HIStory and Invincible, even though neither would’ve fit. The sound doesn’t mean it couldn’t have been considered.

Back