Let's end the confusion about MJ's unreleased tracks here

To set the record straight on both your posts, that was a work list from late 1990/early 1991, not a real tracklist. And the "MA and MJ duet" refers to the original plan for In the Closet, which was meant to have a feature from Madonna.

Yeah I know it's not a real track list.....just saying if it was, that would've been all over the place. As far as the duet goes, I remember the discussion of MJ and Madge working on the song but there was also a Janet duet around the same time

IYWIKGt.png
huPE9wr.png

is there two songs named stay or is it the same one??

IYWIKGt.png
huPE9wr.png

is there two songs named stay or is it the same one??
Two separate songs.

Is the above one registered to Mijac Music? I’ve noticed any songwriter named Michael Jackson gets lumped together in the Copyright Office. Most of MJ’s 1980s filings are listed with Mijac.

Two separate songs.

Is the above one registered to Mijac Music? I’ve noticed any songwriter named Michael Jackson gets lumped together in the Copyright Office. Most of MJ’s 1980s filings are listed with Mijac.
oh nope, no mijac there

Even some of the songs MJ registered don’t seem to contain his vocals. “Stand Tall,” “Shut Up and Dance,” and “Thank Heaven” are all sung by unidentified session vocalists. God knows how many others. Very odd.

Imagine if the Estate opened a random vault somewhere and found 6 albums worth of unreleased material 😩

Knowing them they probably still mess it up somehow

It's not really a surprise that their focus isn't on unreleased music but it's a shame, I was expecting them to release a new album/single along with the biopic. It's weird that Branca says this when we know that the estate in talks with producers for a new album, maybe there is something planned eventually but he's just covering it for now? Those are the same words he said when asked about new music a few years ago while they were in fact working on new singles.

They would need to transfer some cassettes so it's understandable that they'd rather focus on other things.

They would need to transfer some cassettes so it's understandable that they'd rather focus on other things.
Maybe with the biopic money they can afford to shell out for some 2001 quality music hardware to make things easier for em.

On the other hand, when everytime you release music, either the critics or the fans themselves tear you asunder, I might also be a little worried about what to do too. We even quibble about the song names in here.

The Broadway show is completely irrelevant as a project, because it is only available in the US and has been for years. He says it's coming to London, which helps about 1%?

The whole global wants Michael. The biopic is fine, but they could easily cook up a EP or a small CD project at the same time as they are preparing the biopic.

But whatever. Looks like I might stop holding myself back to play Chicago and Dream Away sooner than I hoped

The Broadway show is completely irrelevant as a project, because it is only available in the US and has been for years. He says it's coming to London, which helps about 1%?

The whole global wants Michael. The biopic is fine, but they could easily cook up a EP or a small CD project at the same time as they are preparing the biopic.

But whatever. Looks like I might stop holding myself back to play Chicago and Dream Away sooner than I hoped
They don’t care about reach though, it’s what makes money. Albums just won’t pull in the cash they want. Effort vs reward.

Wait on Lord Jackson to steal a better quality Dream Away

Some "business decisions" don't make sense. Screw the damn musical, more than half the fandom aren't in the US neither can afford to go watch it.

Once again I say this, where do Asian and South American fans be in this mess? It's outrageous.

They are more focused on the things they produce. It's been their priority for ages now.

Mine and John Branca's idea of "interesting" differs considerably

It really comes back to the whole not showing Michael thing to me. There's been a pattern, through their decisions and their social media presence (beyond posting random photos with tone deaf captions) of not displaying MJ and more displaying the "idea" of him and stuff he has done. He's more of a brand now, which I kinda hate.

Dunno if anyone else feels like this or if it's just a vibe I have personally lol.

Hopefully the Thriller doc is more than what I think it's going to be in regards to the actual making of the album.

Some "business decisions" don't make sense. Screw the damn musical, more than half the fandom aren't in the US neither can afford to go watch it.

Once again I say this, where do Asian and South American fans be in this mess? It's outrageous.
I can understand the pessimism towards the musical, but as someone who’s seen it, it’s outstanding and deserves the acclaim and success it’s receiving. It is, in my opinion, one of the best moves they’ve made and a very unique and creative way to continue MJ’s legacy. And while I’m iffy on a biopic, it’s been done well before and could (emphasis on could) heighten him further.

At the end of the day, the important thing is MJ’s legacy and how it is shepherded forward. Posthumous albums aren’t what he needs, as much as I’d love it. The MJ show has brought the loudest feedback of any project they’ve ever done. That’s what I wanna see.

I can understand the pessimism towards the musical, but as someone who’s seen it, it’s outstanding and deserves the acclaim and success it’s receiving. It is, in my opinion, one of the best moves they’ve made and a very unique and creative way to continue MJ’s legacy. And while I’m iffy on a biopic, it’s been done well before and could (emphasis on could) heighten him further.

At the end of the day, the important thing is MJ’s legacy and how it is shepherded forward. Posthumous albums aren’t what he needs, as much as I’d love it. The MJ show has brought the loudest feedback of any project they’ve ever done. That’s what I wanna see.
I'm not being pessimistic about the musical, personally. I don't mind it at all.

What I'm addressing is the fact that there are no worldwide projects at the moment, which leaves us down here left aside. Even the freaking special screenings of T40 last year which happened in various places didn't reach here.

I want a project that can reach my arse in Brazil, for example.

I'm not being pessimistic about the musical, personally. I don't mind it at all.

What I'm addressing is the fact that there are no worldwide projects at the moment, which leaves us down here left aside. Even the freaking special screenings of T40 last year which happened in various places didn't reach here.

I want a project that can reach my arse in Brazil, for example.
I can understand that! I hope the show expands further overseas so it can be enjoyed by all. But yeah, the US-centric attitude of media overall is very annoying. Not surprised the estate has fallen victim to it.

From my unferstandig there will be world-tour from the Broadway-show. Next year starts the show in the UK, end of the year a biopic worldwide in theatre. After that it is a perfect time to start a world-tour with theshow and also making a docu about it.

Some "business decisions" don't make sense. Screw the damn musical, more than half the fandom aren't in the US neither can afford to go watch it. Once again I say this, where do Asian and South American fans be in this mess? It's outrageous.
For me it's not even a geographical thing although I do understand why that's an issue. I'm pleased the musical has done so well and hope that continues when it goes on tour. I have zero interest in the musical so when it comes to the UK I won't be going. I'm stoked for everyone else that likes this stuff but ... musicals, biopics? Not interested. I understand the MJE priority is to make money and so they concentrate on commercial projects rather than smaller stuff that's more niche. They could do easily do both and it's annoying that they don't.

It really comes back to the whole not showing Michael thing to me. There's been a pattern, through their decisions and their social media presence (beyond posting random photos with tone deaf captions) of not displaying MJ and more displaying the "idea" of him and stuff he has done.
My brain just exploded. This makes SO much sense. I couldn't see this but I really think you're on to something. Of course, if your perception is correct, it's bloody depressing. The 'idea' of Michael. Yeah, it really does feel like that.

He's more of a brand now, which I kinda hate.
Got mixed feelings about this. Michael had already turned himself into a brand in the 1980's and I wasn't wild about it, tbh. I'm so old-school, lol. But I totally understand why he did it and he was really good at it. Feels different when it's MJE doing it but perhaps that's unfair.

Dunno if anyone else feels like this or if it's just a vibe I have personally lol.
No, it's not just you. I realise now that I've had some vague unease at the back of my mind which has only now come into focus. This really does make sense to me.

I can understand the pessimism towards the musical, but as someone who’s seen it, it’s outstanding and deserves the acclaim and success it’s receiving. It is, in my opinion, one of the best moves they’ve made and a very unique and creative way to continue MJ’s legacy. And while I’m iffy on a biopic, it’s been done well before and could (emphasis on could) heighten him further. [...]
Can't really argue with any of this although I don't think there's anything unique about doing a musical. Plus there was Thriller Live in London which didn't look at Michael's life, it was simply a celebration of his music, but it must have provided MJE with some sort of template to work from (or against). Thriller Live ran from 2009 and only closed in 2020 bc of COVID-19, IIRC. But I agree that MJ the Musical is one of the most successful things MJE has done. And yet something just doesn't feel right. It feels unbalanced but maybe it's just me, maybe I'm being too picky ...

John Branca's recent statement left me cold, tbh. I get that there's loads of work to do, getting the musical on the road, completing the doc and dealing with 'technical' issues, getting the biopic underway. Sure, that's a lot of work. How big is the creative team at MJE? Is it really so small that they can't also work on smaller projects alongside the bigger things?

Back