Michael jackson - jackson to be honoured as official american legend

KB50MJ

Proud Member
WOW. If this gets passed. This will be HUGE. Well at least in my book.

The ultimate tribute to MICHAEL JACKSON is to be debated before the House of Representatives - a resolution declaring the King of Pop an "American legend".
Appearing at the late star's memorial in Los Angeles on Tuesday (07Jul09) and representing the U.S. House of Representatives and the Congressional Black Caucus, Texas congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee announced Resolution 600 would be presented to politicians this week (ends10Jul09).
She told the cheering masses at the Staples Center, "It claims Michael Jackson as an American Legend and musical icon, a world humanitarian (and) someone who will be honoured forever and forever and forever and forever and forever."
She concluded her stirring speech by stating, "We are the world and we are better because Michael Joseph Jackson lived... Michael Jackson, I salute you."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...-honoured-as-official-american-legend_1108981

Democratic Representative Sheila Jackson-Lee of Texas reminded people today at Michael Jackson's memorial service that in this country a person is innocent until proven guilty. She mentioned that Congress had paused for a moment of silence on the day Michael Jackson died. And, she mentioned (showing a framed copy) that she has introduced in the House of Representatives House Resolution 600. The text of the resolution follows.

111th CONGRESS 1st Session

H. RES. 600

Honoring an American legend and musical icon.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
June 26, 2009

Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas (for herself and Ms. WATSON) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs

RESOLUTION

Honoring an American legend and musical icon.

Whereas Michael Jackson was not only an accomplished recording and performing artist, he was a noted humanitarian;

Whereas Michael Jackson began his stellar recording career as the featured member of `The Jackson 5', which was the first act in recorded history to have their first four major label singles `I Want You Back',`ABC',`The Love You Save', and `I'll Be There', reached the top of the American charts;

Whereas the internationally recognized `Thriller' released in 1982, which became a smash hit yielded seven top-10 singles. The album sold 21 million copies in the United States and at least 27 million worldwide. It was a monumental moment in music history;

Whereas Michael Jackson was labeled `The King of Pop', Jackson's music is internationally recognized and critically acclaimed;

Whereas Michael Jackson was one of the few artists to have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice;

Whereas in the early 1980s, Michael Jackson became a dominant figure in popular music and the first African-American entertainer to amass a strong crossover following on MTV. The popularity of his music videos airing on MTV, such as `Beat It', `Billie Jean' and `Thriller'--widely credited with transforming the music video from a promotional tool into an art form--helped bring the relatively new channel to fame;

Whereas, on January 10, 1984, Michael Jackson visited the unit for burn victims at Brotman-Memorial Hospital in Los Angeles, and demonstrated his concern with people suffering from grievous injuries;

Whereas, on April 9, 1984, David Smithee, a 14-year-old boy suffering from cystic fibroses was invited to Michael's home, in response to a dying request to meet Michael. David passed away 7 weeks later;

Whereas, on April 14, 1984, Michael Jackson was single handedly responsible for equipping a 19-bed-unit at Mount Sinai New York Medical Center. This center is now a critical part of the T.J. Martell Foundation for leukemia and cancer research;

Whereas, on July 5, 1984, during the Jackson's press conference at Tavern On The Green, Michael announced that his portion of the earnings from the Victory Tour would be donated to three charitable organizations: The United Negro College Fund, Camp Good Times, and the T.J. Martell Foundation;

Whereas, on July 14, 1984, after the first concert of the Victory Tour, Michael met 8 terminally ill children backstage;

Whereas, on December 13, 1984, Michael visited the Brotman Memorial Hospital, where he had been treated when he was burned during the producing of a Pepsi commercial. He subsequently donated all the money he received from Pepsi, $1.5 million, to the Michael Jackson Burn Center for Children;

Whereas, on January 28, 1985 Michael and 44 other artists met to record `We Are The World', written by Michael and Lionel Ritchie, a project devoted to fighting global hunger. The proceeds of this record were donated to the starving people in Africa;

Whereas in 1986, Michael set up the `Michael Jackson UNCF Endowed Scholarship Fund'. This $1.5 million fund is aimed toward assisting students majoring in performance art and communications, with money given each year to students attending a UNCF member college or university;

Whereas, on February 28, 1986, after having had a heart-transplant, 14-year-old Donna Ashlock from California received a call from Michael Jackson. He had heard that she was a fan. Michael invited Donna to his home following her recovery;

Whereas, on September 13, 1987, Michael supported a campaign against racism. He made every effort to publicly support NAACP, in the fight against discrimination of African-American artists;

Whereas in October 1987, at the end of his `Bad Tour', Michael donated personal items to UNESCO for a charitable auction. The proceeds of his donation were allocated for the education of children in developing countries;

Whereas, on February 1, 1988 The Song `Man In the Mirror' entered the charts. The proceeds from the sales of this record went directly and exclusively to Camp Ronald McDonald for Good Times, a camp for children who suffer from Cancer;

Whereas, on March 1, 1988, at a press conference held by his sponsor Pepsi, Michael presented a $600,000 check to the United Negro College Fund;

Whereas on April 1988, Michael Jackson ensured that free tickets to three concerts in Atlanta, Georgia, were specifically set aside for the Make a Wish Foundation;

Whereas, on May 22, 1988, Michael visited cancer-stricken children in the Bambini-Gesu Children's Hospital in Rome. He signed autographs and gave away sweets and records to the young patients. He also announced his monetary donation of 100,000 pounds to the hospital;

Whereas, on July 16, 1988, Michael met the Prince of Wales and his wife Diana, where he donated 150,000 pounds for the Prince's Trust, and a check of 100,000 pounds for the children's hospital at Great Ormond Street;

Whereas, on July 20, 1988, Michael visited terminally ill children at Great Ormond Street Hospital. At a unit for less critical patients he stayed longer and to engage in story telling time with the children;

Whereas, on August 29, 1988, at his 30th birthday Michael performed a concert in Leeds, England, for the English charity organization `Give For Life', an organization designed as an immunization charity for children. Michael presented a check for 65,000 pounds;

Whereas on January 1989, the proceeds of one of Michael's shows in Los Angeles were donated to Childhelp USA, the biggest charity organization against child abuse. In appreciation of the contributions of Michael, Childhelp of Southern California founded the `Michael Jackson International Institute for Research On Child Abuse';

Whereas, on January 10, 1989, upon the winding down of his `Bad Tour', Michael Jackson donated tickets for each concert to underprivileged children, and made contributions to hospitals, orphanages and charity organizations throughout each stop on his tour;

Whereas, on February 7, 1989, Michael visited the Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California, a site of playground violence where 5 children had been tragically killed and 39 had been wounded;

Whereas, on March 5, 1989, Michael invited 200 underprivileged children of the St. Vincent Institute for Handicapped Children and of the organization Big Brothers and Big Sisters to the Circus Vargas in Santa Barbara. Following the event, the children were invited to his ranch to visit his private Zoo at Neverland Ranch;

Whereas in December 1991, Michael's office MJJ Productions donated more than 200 turkey dinners to needy families in Los Angeles;

Whereas in February 1992, within 11 days Michael covered 30,000 miles in Africa, to visit hospitals, orphanages, schools, churches, and institutions for mentally handicapped children;

Whereas, on February 3, 1992, at a press conference at the New York Radio City Music Hall, Michael announced that he is planning a new world tour, to raise funds for his new `Heal The World' Foundation. This Foundation was designed to support the fight against AIDS, Juvenile Diabetes, the Ronald McDonald Camp, and the Make A Wish Foundation;

Whereas, on May 6, 1992, Michael defrayed the funeral expenses for Ramon Sanchez, who was killed during the Los Angeles riots;

Whereas, on June 26, 1992, Michael presented the Mayor of Munich, Mr. Kronawitter, with a 40,000 DM check for the needy people of the city;

Whereas on July 1992, Michael donated 821,477,296 Lire to La Partita del Cuore (The Heart Match) in Rome and donated 120,000 DM to children's charities in Estonia and Latvia;

Whereas, on July 25, 1992, at his concert in Dublin, Ireland, Michael announced that he will give 400,000 pounds of the tour earnings to various charities;

Whereas in June 1993, Michael announced a donation of $1.25 million for children suffering as a result of the riots in Los Angeles;

Whereas on October 1993, Michael Jackson donated $100,000 to the Children's Defense Fund, the Children's Diabetes Foundation, the Atlanta Project, and the Boys and Girl Clubs of Newark, New Jersey;

Whereas on December 1993, in conjunction with the Gorbachev Foundation, Michael Jackson airlifted 60,000 doses of children's vaccines to Tblisi, Georgia;

Whereas in 1994, Michael donated $500,000 to Elizabeth Taylor's AIDS Foundation;

Whereas, on October 1, 1996, Michael donated the proceeds of his Tunisia concert to `The National Solidarity Fund', a charity dedicated to fighting poverty;

Whereas, on December 9, 1996, during the `History Tour' visit in Manila, Michael visited a Children's Hospital, where he announced that a portion of his concert earnings will be donated to the renovation of the Hospital;

Whereas the Millennium Issue of the `Guinness Book Of Records' named Michael as `the Pop Star who supports the most charity organizations';

Whereas in 2004, The African Ambassadors' Spouses Association, honored Michael Jackson for his worldwide humanitarian efforts, due to his fiscal contribution of more than $50 million to various charities, including many organizations that feed the hungry in Africa; and

Whereas we today mourn with and send our condolences to the children that Michael Jackson left behind: Prince Michael, Paris Michael, and Prince Michael II and his mother, father, brothers, and sisters: Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes Michael Jackson as a global humanitarian and a noted leader in the fight against worldwide hunger and medical crises; and

(2) celebrates Michael Jackson as an accomplished contributor to the worlds of arts and entertainment, scientific advances in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, and global food security.

http://www.examiner.com/x-3035-Ever...ouse-Resolution-600--Honoring-Michael-Jackson

They got Thriller sales wrong. Its 28 million in the U.S. and at least 65 million worldwide.

I don't see any potential obstacles that would prevent this bill from passing. We'll see how many hateful politicians we have in Congress that do oppose this though. I have a feeling this bill will have bipartisan support.

Michael Jackson IS an AMERICAN LEGEND and should be honored as one. I am hoping that there is not much polarity in the House, esp since that nasty Peter King is there in the House.

But I wanted to write Representative Sheila Jackson Lee a huge THANK YOU for her wonderful speech at the Memorial. I am going to also ask what I can do to help pass this.

Here is her contact information if you wish to do the same.

http://www.jacksonlee.house.gov/contact-form.shtml (EMAIL HER THROUGH THIS FORM)

Washington Office
2160 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3816 Phone
(202) 225-3317 Fax

Houston Office
1919 Smith Street
Suite 1180
Houston, Texas 77002
(713) 655-0050 Phone
(713) 655-1612 Fax

Heights Office
420 West 19th Street
Houston, Texas 77008
(713) 861-4070

Acres Home Office
6719 West Montgomery
Suite 204
Houston, Texas 77091
(713) 691-4882

Fifth Ward Office
3300 Lyons Ave.
Suite 301
Houston, TX 77020
(713) 227-7740 Phone
(713) 227-7707 Fax

It would be even more meaningful as a joint resolution...

Michael so deserves to be honoured as much as possible. He couldn't be honoured enough.

I cried when she said that at the memorial. Yes, this has to pass. Michael deserves it. Thanks for the contact information.

I sent her a message. Ms. Lee is a very respectful person and I admire her honesty. Loved her speech immensely.

This resolution will pass. And this aint all that will pass. There will be many honors given to Michael posthumous. Just watch. I wouldn't be surprised if he is included in the next Kennedy Center Honors. If he is, I believe he will be the first to be honored post humous.

I wonder if PBS will finally do an episode of American Masters for Michael. Quincy Slander Jones has one. Michael should get one.

We should support this resolution by emailing and sending letters of support to Sheila Jackson Lee and also the house of representatives directly if at all possible.

God, I hope this passes. And I think it will, otherwise she wouldn't have announced it with so much confidence.

I felt so proud to be his fan during the memorial, and during her speech. She was beautiful in everything she said, a true defender!

Michael should be declared a legend of the universe, not just the USA.

The bill does not have many co-sponsors yet, and there is opposition to the bill as another poster stated. I do not know if this bill will pass, but I am pretty indifferent to it because politics should not enter into this at all. The family, fans and millions of others already know what kind of person MJ was. Yes, and there are plenty of naysayers too.

The point is, (and many will disagree with me) Washington has enough grandstanding going on as it is from both sides of the aisle, and I feel MJ will be used for political football and further division.

I hope that doesn't happen. :( And i hope the bill will pass because Michael truly deserves it!

He may deserve it, and I respect your opinion. However, I will have to strongly disagree because I can only imagine some of the debate that will take place in the chamber on C-Span.

Politics is a bloodsport. I think enough blood has been shed in this world.

he deserves it! however.... i dont think it will

he doesnt need to be recognised by "officials" anyways.

elmari: thanks for the contact details! I sent her a message.

I cried and cried and cried
and I hope this goes through and his kids will the opportunity to go the White House and shake Barack Obama's hand when receiving this honour on behalf of their late father

There are some people grumbling about how the presentation of the resolution is a waste of their time. If your local representative does not realize how important this is to many of Michael Jackson's fans, it may not even make it out of the committee for a vote, much less get passed. We don't know when the resolution will be submitted, but the ground swell of good will that Michael has now may not be as strong.

I think it is important that Congress recognize some of its black artists too just like they did for white artists like Elvis and Sinatra. Plus, Michael Jackson broke racial barriers, changed the face of entertainment, and created goodwill for the U.S. in other countries. If they did not pass it, it would be a huge snub to MJ and black people.

I think people are right that it could be contentious. I've already been surprised at the political divisions in mourning his death. However, as a resolution, it is non-binding so they wouldn't expend much political capital. If we all got on this and tried to show how much support there is for Michael, it would be a no-brainer for them. Maybe we should write in supporting the resolution and ask others to do the same.

I'm glad I searched before I started a new Thread.

I'm a newbie here. Is MJJCommunity based in the UK? Just wondering because depending on how many U.S. folks are here I believe it's our duty to write our Congressman/woman and ask them to support "Resolution 600".

Here's a link to find your congressman. Please, let's flood their offices with snail mail/emails and calls.

http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.shtml

Michael Jackson IS an AMERICAN LEGEND and should be honored as one. I am hoping that there is not much polarity in the House, esp since that nasty Peter King is there in the House.

But I wanted to write Representative Sheila Jackson Lee a huge THANK YOU for her wonderful speech at the Memorial. I am going to also ask what I can do to help pass this.

Here is her contact information if you wish to do the same.

http://www.jacksonlee.house.gov/contact-form.shtml (EMAIL HER THROUGH THIS FORM)

Washington Office
2160 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3816 Phone
(202) 225-3317 Fax

Houston Office
1919 Smith Street
Suite 1180
Houston, Texas 77002
(713) 655-0050 Phone
(713) 655-1612 Fax

Heights Office
420 West 19th Street
Houston, Texas 77008
(713) 861-4070

Acres Home Office
6719 West Montgomery
Suite 204
Houston, Texas 77091
(713) 691-4882

Fifth Ward Office
3300 Lyons Ave.
Suite 301
Houston, TX 77020
(713) 227-7740 Phone
(713) 227-7707 Fax

Done! This rocks! :) Thank you.

I think it is important that Congress recognize some of its black artists too just like they did for white artists like Elvis and Sinatra. Plus, Michael Jackson broke racial barriers, changed the face of entertainment, and created goodwill for the U.S. in other countries. If they did not pass it, it would be a huge snub to MJ and black people.

I think people are right that it could be contentious. I've already been surprised at the political divisions in mourning his death. However, as a resolution, it is non-binding so they wouldn't expend much political capital. If we all got on this and tried to show how much support there is for Michael, it would be a no-brainer for them. Maybe we should write in supporting the resolution and ask others to do the same.

Duh, I didn't see this until now. :) Yes. I'm with you.

Here's a copy of what I just sent to my Congressman.

Dear Congressman (?) ,

I respectfully request that you support Rep Sheila Jackson Lee's proposal of Resolution 600 to honor Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson was not only an accomplished recording and performing artist, he was a noted humanitarian. I could list all of his accomplishments in this email but instead I'll quote the proposal which sums it up precisely;

"Whereas we today mourn with and send our condolences to the children that Michael Jackson left behind: Prince Michael, Paris Michael, and Prince Michael II and his mother, father, brothers, and sisters: Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives--

(1) recognizes Michael Jackson as a global humanitarian and a noted leader in the fight against worldwide hunger and medical crises; and

(2) celebrates Michael Jackson as an accomplished contributor to the worlds of arts and entertainment, scientific advances in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, and global food security."

Sincerely,

Back