Michael Jackson Moonwalker Blu-Ray-2 disc Blu Ray out Oct

Kapital77

Proud Member
Releaselists.com is reporting that Warner will release Moonwalker on July 7th 2010 in France.

Notable List Updates from the Last Few Days

Oct 19, 2009

USA News:
Moon (2009) release date has changed again and has been brought forward from Jan 12 to Dec 29. Can't complain about getting it earlier and I can't wait to see this film.

International news:
In France, Warner have listed some milestone releases for the next year on their France site. The titles are: Micmacs à tire-larigot due Mar 3; Kelly's Heroes, The Neverending Story, Where Eagles Dare are all due April 7; Poseidon and A Star is Born (1954) are due May 12; Absolute Power (1997) and The Rookie (1990) are due Jun 2; Moonwalker (1988) is due Jul 7; Insomnia (2002/I) is due Aug 4; The Exorcist (1973), Forbidden Planet (1956), Mars Attacks are all due Oct 6; Excalibur (1981), The Maltese Falcon (1941), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1941) are all due Nov 3; 2001: A Space Odyssey (Ultimate Collector's Edition) and Last of the Mohicans (1992) are due Dec 1.

MICHAEL JACKSON AND SMOOTH CRIMINAL IN HD 1080P !!!

Can´t wait.

Re: MOONWALKER on Blu-ray 7 July (France)

Joe Jackson has ruined the word "Blu-Ray" for me - FOREVER.

Thanks, Joe.

At long last... hopefully we will see all of MJ's videography available on Blu Ray in the not too distant future

Since Michael shot many(or all?!) his short films in 35mm I hope they will make some form of video collection in HD.
I mean, I have a retail version Moonwalker in PAL and the picture is crystal clear, and the colors on the Thriller part is incredible vivid... it's like you can taste the leather of his jacket - Then imagine a full scale HD of this, that would be absolutely amazing.

Only thing I'm wondering if they will crop the video from 4:3 to 16:9 - is there any released 4:3 movies out there?

I can't wait for this, I can finally start my Moonwalker edit. For me the editing in the film, or rather in the intro between MITM and Speed Demon is poo, things are out of time and the music is mixed horribly, I'd love to fix it and add some 2009 sparkle to it!

I'm still hoping for a USA DVD/Blu Ray release

I'd love to see something like this

Moonwalker: Special Edition on DVD or Blu Ray

Source Video

-Pulled the original 16mm film reels out of cold storage, and used them as the primary source material.

Source Audio
- Digitally remastered in 5.1

Disc 1
-"Moonwalker"- the original film
-"The Magic Begins" commercial
-Orignal US trailer
-Original Japanese trailer

Disc 2
-Michael and Moonwalker (Special Featurette)
-Making of Moonwalker (1988 TV Special)
-Deleted Scenes and Bloopers
-Rehearsals
-Making of Leave Me Alone
-Making of Speed Demon

Special Features:
The Chase

Since Michael shot many(or all?!) his short films in 35mm I hope they will make some form of video collection in HD.
I mean, I have a retail version Moonwalker in PAL and the picture is crystal clear, and the colors on the Thriller part is incredible vivid... it's like you can taste the leather of his jacket - Then imagine a full scale HD of this, that would be absolutely amazing.

Only thing I'm wondering if they will crop the video from 4:3 to 16:9 - is there any released 4:3 movies out there?

Moonwalker is mostly in 16:9. The dvd release is just taken from the Laserdisc master I believe.
Still amazing quality.

I think only Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough was not in 35mm.

If they crop the short films, or stretch them wide, I won't be buying them.

Moonwalker is mostly in 16:9. The dvd release is just taken from the Laserdisc master I believe.
Still amazing quality.

Hmm weird, my PAL version is mostly in 4:3 :scratch:
As I now skip through it I can see that the only part that is 16:9 is Leave Me Alone.

I think only Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough was not in 35mm.

If they crop the short films, or stretch them wide, I won't be buying them.

I agree - to crop out Michael's feet (or head) would be unforgivable!
I don't think we have to worry about them stretching it though, never seen that technology on a retail release, ever.
I get so mad everytime I see them stretching anything on TV, hehe.

I'd love to see something like this...

Yes something like that would be truly amazing! :)

Sorry. Moonwalker was filmed in 16:9, cropped to 4:3 for the releases.
It has been a long day..haha

Six months to gooo!!!

Sorry. Moonwalker was filmed in 16:9, cropped to 4:3 for the releases.
It has been a long day..haha

Ahh no worries :D - that's great news!
I think it would be a whole other experience in 16:9 when we'd gain so much more width in it!

Will they ever release this on DVD in the U.S.? Ugh, i've been waiting forever.

I know nothing about this technologically, but Moonwalker will be presented in English right? Just sold in France. I don't have a blu-ray player, but they work in regular DVD players right?

I know nothing about this technologically, but Moonwalker will be presented in English right? Just sold in France. I don't have a blu-ray player, but they work in regular DVD players right?

No, Blue-ray discs don't work in DVD players - But I think it's a safe bet that they will redistribute it on DVD when they're at it :)

Possible extras? None ón DVD but the trailer - but when they'll have to clean up the movie for high def release, maybe they'll clean up a bit of making if material as well. Watcha think?

lol. they think fans are stupid? moonwalker will never be available in true HD. not possible. sure, hd in the 80's. haha. good joke!
thats only upscalling. nothing more. i dont want to have a second dvd quality disc at home for 50 or 60 euros. ^^

Hope ALL his DVD's will be released as BR.

lol. they think fans are stupid? moonwalker will never be available in true HD. not possible. sure, hd in the 80's. haha. good joke!
thats only upscalling. nothing more. i dont want to have a second dvd quality disc at home for 50 or 60 euros. ^^

Wow, not to be a prick, but do some research on what HD is my friend.
Anything that was shot on film has more resolution than HD. 16mm film will look it's best, and 35mm film will look amazing, even in HD 35mm has lots more rez to offer. If they have indeed struck a new HD transfer from the film source, then we are in for a treat.

For Moonwalker or any future HD video releases, Only segments that include videos filmed on video will be upscaled. Examples being DSTYGE, Billie Jean I think was shot on film, but the editing effects were obviously done in early 80's quality video effects. Not sure how they would handle that. They may have to go in a find the original neg, rescan it and reedit it, and create the effects again. (This is currently being done for the Star Trek The Next Generation Blu Ray sets, the series was filmed on film, but edited on video along with the special effects.) As long as they keep the original edit in tact, and the "new" versions of the video edits look the same but in higher quality I'll all up for them doing this. Give into me is another video that may have some issues, the video was shot on film, but the lightening effects were 480p video. So those would have to be recreated, The CGI face in Who is it would probably be prone to this as well.

Since Moonwalker and Ghosts were created for the big screen, the film was edited for film resolution as well as the effects, they should look amazing. But for anything else it may be awhile before we get proper HD versions of Michaels Special Effect extravaganza short films, because the effects (unless they were smart enough to think HD, but honestly anything before History era I doubt anyone was thinking HD) will need heavy remastering. I seem to remember Scream being screened in theaters in 1995, if so thank god. That means the effects were produced for film, because that video would be a bitch to recreate in HD. Possible, but expensive.

Video editing of film didn't become common place until the mid 90's. The from what I have seen the Thriller-Bad era videos were probably edited on film. The only exception I can see is Bille Jean, (Another part of me was shot on video as a part of a concert, so that will be forever 480P unfortunately). So all that needs to be done is finding the original neg and striking a new master. I am not sure about Dangerous era videos, But the visual effects in some of the later videos look to be 480P, which leads me to believe they were edited on video. Not sure about Black or White. But I am pretty sure anything from History was edited on a video system like Avid. (Final cut pro wasn't around until the late 90's). If they kept the EDL lists for these, scanning in the original film in high rez would be all they need to do. The computer would take care of the rest.

Any concert footage from Bad I have seen was shot on 1980's video, so while the original source can be remastered, your never going to get anything but 480P from that. Same goes with any Dangerous concert. I don't think there were any concerts of Michaels Filmed on film, with the exception of MITM, which was used for Moonwalker.

I heard a rumor that some of the History concerts were filmed using early HD cams.
1080i (which won't look as good as modern HD, but will look really nice). It would be something if this were true!

The 2001 concerts looked nice on TV, but I'm not sure if they were shot in HD. Pretty sure it was standard 2001 era video, and it looks great but probably not HD. Anything claiming to be HD is most likely a upscale transfer. It is possible the concert was shot in HD, I guess it depends on who shot the concert. I know CBS aired the footage, but were they responsible for the filming and editing? If this ever comes to DVD, I would love to see a re-edit that treated this more as a concert and less of a tv special.

Now, as far as Moonwalker in 16x9 goes. You guys may see cropping from what you have been used to on video and tv. It all depends on how the full frame transfer was conducted. Most 1.85:1 films (16x9) are shot full frame and matted off at 1.85:1 as the intended ratio for the theater, and now for widescreen tvs. A common practice in home video was to open the matts for home video full frame transfers, which is different than pan & scan which is used for Anamorphic (Widescreen) 2.35:1 films. The pan and scan transfer process has been used in 1.85:1 but not as common, usually when a film is shot hard matted (The matts are filmed onto the film). So it just depends on how the moonwalker transfer was made for home video, Where the sides cut off of the image? Or was the top and bottom opened up?
I myself have only seen the full screen US home video and tv versions, so I'm not sure.

2001 concerts were shot in Hd I think. someone on youtube had them up at 720p but the user is no longer there. It had japanese subtitles so it may have been a Japan only release

Everything Michael has filmed has been filmed on 16mm or 35mm which is better than HD fourfold. That's how they make HD releases......

Everything Michael has filmed has been filmed on 16mm or 35mm which is better than HD fourfold. That's how they make HD releases......

I'm pretty sure your right. I'll have to do some research on the Off The Wall videos (which might have been filmed on video) but pretty much everything else short film wise was film.
Another part of me was a bad concert excerpt, which was video.

Regardless, even if these videos were filmed on film, they may have been edited on video. If that is the case new masters need to be made from original neg, and in some cases re-edit from that neg for HD resolution. Hell, I would say new masters need to be made of everything 480p, 1080i and 1080P. Doesn't matter, all of these are out of date and are in BIG TIME need of restoration. Just because some items may be stuck at 480P resolution, doesn't mean it can't look better than the current masters. Which by today's standards are crap. I'm willing to bet the DVD versions of Thiller are cut from the same master from 1984!

Last edited:

Yes a tech person!
haha
The off the wall stuff is filmed on film too however the special effects (same with Moonwalker) are stuck in the tech of the time. However it should be fine a lot of older movies with old effects have been on blu-ray and they look good to my knowledge. Most of the Moonwalker stuff is stop motion (not privative cg) so it would just have to be re composited.

I personally stopped buying DVDs, either old or new releases, DVD is becoming obsolete. I would really want this in Bluray mainly for sound quality not just picture, if it was in DTS-HD then I would definitely pump that volume in Smooth Criminal. :punk: It would be cool if they also add extra content and bonus material.

Anything that was shot on film has more resolution than HD. 16mm film will look it's best, and 35mm film will look amazing, even in HD 35mm has lots more rez to offer. If they have indeed struck a new HD transfer from the film source, then we are in for a treat.

Thanks for the info, this makes me very excited! :wild:

Last edited:
Back