Michaels 90s live performances are overrated

ssj

Proud Member
I always wondered why he got back into touring in the first place, since he clearly stated that the BAD Tour would be hist last one. Does anybody know the reason? The new contract with Sony perhaps?

Galactus123

Proud Member
I always wondered why he got back into touring in the first place, since he clearly stated that the BAD Tour would be hist last one. Does anybody know the reason? The new contract with Sony perhaps?
Maybe he never really intended to retire performing after Bad Tour.

Nite Line

Proud Member
Michael probably said that Bad tour was his last tour in the spur of the moment. I very much doubt he meant it.

kai

Proud Member
Well… yes a lot of time how live vocals didn’t sound so good but come on.. the ending of MITM was awesome live singing on BwT and HWT

Whitty Hutton

Proud Member
Cash Rules Everything Around Me
MJ's debt accumulating extravagant lifestyle and huge album budgets had to be taken care of.
20's-early 30's is peak physical level for any person that exerts as much energy as a performer/dancer/athlete. And now that we know he was basically a functioning addict by the end of Dangerous....not hard to realize the effects of that, lack of sleep, wear and tear of years of performing and dancing at high levels and aging all attributed to a decline in his ability to perform consistently as well as he did in the 80's.

analogue

Proud Member
Marketing strategy? If Michael said BAD was going to be his last tour that would encourage more people to go and buy tickets for their ''last chance'' to see him live.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
He didn ‘t like touring (his own words) but new albums need to be promoted. You can clearly see the impact of a tour on album sales in the charts… to cut things short he had to tour as it was probably contractual.

dam2040

Proud Member
Dangerous was solely for Heal the World. Don’t know about history

Hess

Proud Member
MJ build onto the dance fondation he made in the 70's and 80's

Some of the dancing in HIStory tour is mindblowing - I do agree play-back is a shame, but knowing what we know about MJ's health it's understandable. - I think there would have been more live singing in TII.

rolerprod

Proud Member
mike started singing in a very aggressive way in the 80's and that decision worn on his vocal longevity and im sure the bad world tour completely worn his voice,so (thats my theory) he made the decision to use a lot more playback so he can still deliver in the future in the studio.
its crazy that seth riggs didnt stop him from being this aggressive

Smooth72

Proud Member
mike started singing in a very aggressive way in the 80's and that decision worn on his vocal longevity and im sure the bad world tour completely worn his voice,so (thats my theory) he made the decision to use a lot more playback so he can still deliver in the future in the studio.
its crazy that seth riggs didnt stop him from being this aggressive
That’s only part of the reason his voice was strained in the 90’s. Life style choices had more to do with it than we will ever know. In the late 90’s and 2000’s he was well past what he once was as far as live singing and dancing at the same time.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
@Smooth72

I personally think he was already vocally damaged as early as the 90s. His live singing on the dangerous tour sounds desperately out of breath

But remember how good he sounded for Clinton’s gala. That was just one song but it is my pick for most magical Michael Jackson performance. He could pull of intimate performances if he had his mind set on it.

Piek

Proud Member
I can only say I saw the HIStory Tour live in Amsterdam, and it was exciting and thrilling.

Michael didn't create these performances for YouTube. He created them for a live audience. You should have seen it. It was incredible.

analogue

Proud Member
On the DWT I thought Michael sounded fine and not out of breath on ISCSLY, SOOML, J5 Medley, Billie Jean, WDAN and Beat It. And the Man In The Mirror adlibs sounded awesome.

WBSS and Human Nature were the only 2 songs where he sounded out of breath to me. Which is strange because those were only the 2nd and 3rd songs in the show. Did Jam really take that much out of him?

Michaels Lover

Proud Member
I can only say I saw the HIStory Tour live in Amsterdam, and it was exciting and thrilling.

Michael didn't create these performances for YouTube. He created them for a live audience. You should have seen it. It was incredible.
Saw him 3 times on the HIStory tour, best experiences of my life. Best concerts ever!

filmandmusic

Proud Member
When I saw him on the HIStory tour I was too young to realize it wasn’t live. Also you are into that wild buzz, I never saw 50 000 people together, I never heard a crowd generate that huge noice before. Then you see him playing the crowd in his spacerocket, as a show it worked then. So yeah it was an experience but looking back I feel cheated.

Nite Line

Proud Member
On the DWT I thought Michael sounded fine and not out of breath on ISCSLY, SOOML, J5 Medley, Billie Jean, WDAN and Beat It. And the Man In The Mirror adlibs sounded awesome.

WBSS and Human Nature were the only 2 songs where he sounded out of breath to me. Which is strange because those were only the 2nd and 3rd songs in the show. Did Jam really take that much out of him?
I think the out of breath vocals of WBBS and Human Nature were more due to the headset mic. If Michael had used a normal hand held mic like he used for all the other songs you mentioned, he would have sounded fine. I can understand using headset mic for WBBS, but I find it strange that he used it for Human Nature.

Hess

Proud Member
When I saw him on the HIStory tour I was too young to realize it wasn’t live. Also you are into that wild buzz, I never saw 50 000 people together, I never heard a crowd generate that huge noice before. Then you see him playing the crowd in his spacerocket, as a show it worked then. So yeah it was an experience but looking back I feel cheated.
Honestly this does not really make sense to me. - I saw the HIstory birthday concert in Copenhagen and I was only 10 back then. So I was the same as you, not aware of playback.

The concert was never meant to be seen again. Had no concert ever been filmed noone would really know it was playback.

If you enjoy a concert - how can you then many years later feel cheated just because it was playback when you didn't even noticed it. Sounds like you had a great concert, a great experience and enjoyed it.

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Honestly this does not really make sense to me. - I saw the HIstory birthday concert in Copenhagen and I was only 10 back then. So I was the same as you, not aware of playback.

The concert was never meant to be seen again. Had no concert ever been filmed noone would really know it was playback.

If you enjoy a concert - how can you then many years later feel cheated just because it was playback when you didn't even noticed it. Sounds like you had a great concert, a great experience and enjoyed it.

Well Michael Jackson is fairly being caught red handed lip-synching( cheating) on his fans' money, thanks to the ones who filmed those " concerts "( more like playback marathons).The HisPlayback tour (sorry History) was most likely just a cash grab. Though some shows are good,ngl :0

Galactus123

Proud Member

Many HIStory Tour concerts were shown on TV so they were meant to be seen again.

Michaels Lover

Proud Member
Well Michael Jackson is fairly being caught red handed lip-synching( cheating) on his fans' money, thanks to the ones who filmed those " concerts "( more like playback marathons).The HisPlayback tour (sorry History) was most likely just a cash grab. Though some shows are good,ngl :0
I don't feel cheated at all. I am so happy I went to those concerts, and so thankful that I was lucky to experience him live. and I love the HIStory tour

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
@Smooth72

I personally think he was already vocally damaged as early as the 90s. His live singing on the dangerous tour sounds desperately out of breath

But remember how good he sounded for Clinton’s gala. That was just one song but it is my pick for most magical Michael Jackson performance. He could pull of intimate performances if he had his mind set on it.
I think that was due to others factors like lung problems and what not and not actually vocal damage because he sounded fine (although sometimes a little bit strained) on IJCSLY and SOOML