Michael’s best vocal performance is…?

Dangerous1991

Proud Member
I've always thought Michaels best vocal was a Jacksons track, "Be Not Always"

You Are Not Alone is also a pretty incredible vocal, along with Earth Song and Keep The Faith

Maxym

Proud Member
I heard You Are Not Alone's ""You are always ... in my heaaaaaaa - heeeeear - heeaaaart" is artificial, three samples from the same sound, so I would not consider this song. I don't remember the source exactly but I think it was reliable. Fact check?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
I heard You Are Not Alone's ""You are always ... in my heaaaaaaa - heeeeear - heeaaaart" is artificial, three samples from the same sound, so I would not consider this song. I don't remember the source exactly but I think it was reliable. Fact check?
Brad Sundberg stated that this vocal part in 'You Are Not Alone' is artificial.

They cut that vocal part and they pasted it two or three times so as that particular note to sound longer.

Multitracks of that song also seem to support this Brad Sundberg's statement.

Generally, this was nothing unusual for Michael Jackson because his vocals in many occasions were enhanced or even reshaped later (by means of specific types of software, like Melodyne) in order to achieve the desirable result/effect on certain sections of the official versions of his songs.

Michael Jackson did that a lot especially in his final studio album ('Invincible'), when his weak voice at that time could not sustain such long notes and as a result he resorted more to such tricks and techniques for that album.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Brad Sundberg stated that this vocal part in 'You Are Not Alone' is artificial.

They cut that vocal part and they pasted it two or three times so as that particular note to sound longer.

Multitracks of that song also seem to support this Brad Sundberg's statement.

Generally, this was nothing unusual for Michael Jackson because his vocals in many occasions were enhanced or even reshaped later (by means of specific types of software, like Melodyne) in order to achieve the desirable result/effect on certain sections of the official versions of his songs.

Michael Jackson did that a lot especially in his final studio album ('Invincible'), when his weak voice at that time could not sustain such long notes and as a result he resorted more to such tricks and techniques for that album.
Where/who is your source for that last part?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Where/who is your source for that last part?
It has been said that Michael Jackson used extensively such audio techniques (in particular, Melodyne and Auto-tune) for songs that he recorded for his 'Invincible' album.

This audio manipulation is pretty obvious not only in certain tracks from that album ('You Rock My World', 'Butterflies', etc), but also in outtakes from that album ('One More Chance', etc).

Remember, by that time (late 1990s) his voice had started to lose even more strength and stamina, and as a result he could not hold notes for lengths of time without wavering in pitch.

dethorro

Proud Member
Remember, by that time (late 1990s) his voice had started to lose even more strength and stamina, and as a result he could not hold notes for lengths of time without wavering in pitch.
According to you, right? I don’t understand why you have to present everything in such a bad light.

Michael started to use pitch correction because that became the norm in the music industry around that time. Everybody started using it. Doesn’t mean that he couldn’t hold notes for a longer time and sing in tune. It just made the producer’s and Michael’s work much easier because they could work faster.

I don’t recall anybody working with Michael saying that he ever had problems holding a note. All of them have only positive things to say about his pitch control, his tone and his range.
One of the only times he had a problem recording a song (that we know of) was Keep The Faith but that’s because the original key was incredibly high.

Before the era of pitch correction, mixing engineers would spend countless hours cutting dozens of takes and sometimes using one word from one take and another word from another take in the same sentence in order to make everything seem like it was recorded in one go. Nowadays you can have 5 takes which you can correct and work on much faster.

Last edited:

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
It has been said that Michael Jackson used extensively such audio techniques (in particular, Melodyne and Auto-tune) for songs that he recorded for his 'Invincible' album.

This audio manipulation is pretty obvious not only in certain tracks from that album ('You Rock My World', 'Butterflies', etc), but also in outtakes from that album ('One More Chance', etc).

This is completely rubbish mate, for all the reasons @dethorro stated

This is so typical you Frenzy. I don't know if you're unaware of this or if you're doing this on purpose but you skew, misrepresent and straight up lie about stuff that I sometimes wonder if you're even a fan. There is nothing wrong about having a theory but don't conflate your own theories with actual facts.

Last edited:

lubyss

Proud Member
This completely rubbish mate, for all the reasons @dethorro stated

This is so typical you Frenzy. I don't know if you're unaware of this or if you're doing this on purpose but you skew, misrepresent and straight up lie about stuff that I sometimes wonder if you're even a fan. There is nothing wrong about having a theory but don't conflate your own theories with actual facts.
Purpose.... To me he is just attention seeker... Nothing more...

And back to the topic, I don´t hear any weakness in Michaels voice in Invincible, even in the outtakes like Xscape or We´ve Had Enough...
I still believe that the most magical live vocals are on You Were There... Studio vocals WHE or Leave Me Alone (those layers in the chorus are just mindblowing)