MJ Book Club - Michael Jackson Book Discussion (Old Books and New)

Mikky Dee

Staff
Please use this thread to post personal thoughts and reviews about good Michael Jackson books that you have read, or that have been recommended to you by other fans.

News articles about and reviews of NEW MJ books about to be released at particular points in time, may also be posted here.

I read many books about Michael but the one that changed my life was Moonwalk. When I read that book I feel like is Michael Who is talking to me, like he is telling me his own life.
My life changed because I started to have confidence in myself and I started to look at life with a new perspective. I feel he is so kind while telling his story to his fans.
I never read Dancing the Dream because I coudn't find the book but I would love to read. I heard its really good.
I read the book J Randy Taraborreli wrote but I think some of the things he said are exagerated. I dont know what to think of that book.

PoP

Proud Member
I read many books about Michael but the one that changed my life was Moonwalk. When I read that book I feel like is Michael Who is talking to me, like he is telling me his own life.
My life changed because I started to have confidence in myself and I started to look at life with a new perspective. I feel he is so kind while telling his story to his fans.
I never read Dancing the Dream because I coudn't find the book but I would love to read. I heard its really good.
I read the book J Randy Taraborreli wrote but I think some of the things he said are exagerated. I dont know what to think of that book.

I agree with ya on J. Randy Taraborreli's book, I have both 1991, 2003 and 2009 editions, I admit they're good, but I don't trust what he wrote there, so yeah they are exaggerated.

I agree with ya on J. Randy Taraborreli's book, I have both 1991, 2003 and 2009 editions, I admit they're good, but I don't trust what he wrote there, so yeah they are exaggerated.
I just don't know why he exaggerated. He said he knew Michael since he was a kid. So, why tell lies? I wonder what Michael thought about him...

gerryevans

Proud Member
I'm sure I've read most of them, especially after he first died, I read anything and everything from Moonwalk to the pure garbage, stopping when I realized what pure garabage it actually was. In other words, I spent a lot of money on junk.

But the best one beyond Moonwalk for me was the two bodyguard's book Remember the TIme. I enjoyed that one a lot.

Mikky Dee

Staff

You MUST try to get your hands on "Dancing the Dream"......it is such a beautiful and surprising book and it taps into the heart of who Michael truly was. So sensitive and soulful and CREATIVE. A true empath.

I have never read anything from Taraborreli - most fans speak against its validity, so I never really bothered. LOL

I'm sure I've read most of them, especially after he first died, I read anything and everything from Moonwalk to the pure garbage, stopping when I realized what pure garabage it actually was. In other words, I spent a lot of money on junk.

But the best one beyond Moonwalk for me was the two bodyguard's book Remember the TIme. I enjoyed that one a lot.

I completely agree. This book by Michael's bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard, is so touching, loving and honest. I like it because it fills in a lot of gaps, with regard to the later years of Michael's life and shows us a glimpse of Michael the man. There aren't many books around that deal with the 2000s at all. This one helped me to understand why Michael made some of the decisions that he made and just what it was like for him, post-trial.

You MUST try to get your hands on "Dancing the Dream"......it is such a beautiful and surprising book and it taps into the heart of who Michael truly was. So sensitive and soulful and CREATIVE. A true empath.

I have never read anything from Taraborreli - most fans speak against its validity, so I never really bothered. LOL

I completely agree. This book by Michael's bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard, is so touching, loving and honest. I like it because it fills in a lot of gaps, with regard to the later years of Michael's life and shows us a glimpse of Michael the man. There aren't many books around that deal with the 2000s at all. This one helped me to understand why Michael made some of the decisions that he made and just what it was like for him, post-trial.

I never found the book wich made me feel really sad. But i've always heard about it and I want to read. Maybe one day I can find it!
As for Taraborreli I thought what he wrote was true but then some people said he is a liar... I don't know.

CaptainEoLove85

Some reviews I wrote for some Michael books a while back

The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson by Michael Bush-This book is awesome! Written by Michael Jackson's fashion designer, it was great to see the many outfits worn by the King of Pop up close and in fine detail. There's also a ton of personal stories in there, many of them funny...a story about nearly every outfit. Michael really dared Bush and his partner Tompkins to push the limits and make the impossible possible when it came to his costumes. With hard work and dedication they achieved great success, which only a true genius could inspire them to achieve. They made the magic happen. The book is written with great care. You can tell Bush had a very close relationship with Michael. It's touching. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and wish it didn't have to end.

For The Record by Chris Cadman-Very extensive record of all of Michael Jackson's songs, short films, concerts, ect. It's a very useful reference guide. It's worth having for the fans, for that alone. I learned so much from it.

Man in the Music by Joe Vogel-4.5 stars. It's refreshing to read a book that focuses solely on the music rather than Michael Jackson's personal life. There are too many books out there that don't cover the music at all or just gloss over it, especially the later albums. This book is very well organized. Each chapter covers each album chronologically starting with "Off the Wall" and ending with the posthumous album, "Michael." Each chapter starts off with an examination of the cultural climate at the time the album was released, as well as an introduction to the album and how it came into fruition. Then at the end of each chapter is an analysis of each song track by track. Also included are outakes of songs that didn't make it on the albums. There are also plenty of high quality photos throughout the book. I find this book an enjoyable read with plenty of interesting facts about the albums for fans and non-fans alike. There are also a few interesting tidbits that even hardcore fans may not know about.

This book is nearly close to perfect a book about the music I've read. It is of course not without a few flaws however. That is why I would give it 4.5 stars rather than 5. For example, I appreciated having a notes section that points out all the references of quotes from other books and research and personal interviews Vogel did. However, there were a few occasions where I read about a fact, but there was no reference as to where the fact came from, and I would have liked to have known. There are also a few instances of minor factual errors, and one instance of using a source whom isn't too reliable in his information on Michael Jackson. Many fans know this. But other than those points, which can mostly be overlooked, it is a well researched and pays great respect to the artistry of Michael Jackson.

Moonwalk by you know who ;) -This is the one autobiography Michael Jackson actually wrote himself, and it gives a look into his musical process and a bit of insight into his internal world. I don't know what other to say, than he was an incredible genius. The way in which he describes how he creates music, what his songs mean to him is simply mind blowing. For example, in this passage:

"'Everybody' is more playful than 'Off the Wall' dance tunes, with Mike McKinney propelling it like a plane turning and bearing down. The background vocals suggest 'Get on the Floor's' influence, but Quincy's sound is deeper, like you're in the eye of the storm--our sound was more like going up the glass elevator to the top floor while looking down, rising effortlessly."

I'm not even sure I know what he's talking about in that description there, but obviously he does or he wouldn't be the genius that he is. And who can really talk about music in that way, other than a musical genius?

Towards the end he talks about himself personally. I couldn't help but be moved about his passion for the world. He was a really amazing person.

Michael (Hardcover book from Rolling Stone, just to throw a more negative review in there.)-What an uneven book this is. It was fair enough up until the point of Rob Sheffield's reviews of the music. Simply put, the man is an idiot. After getting through that, the rest of it has a good sized chunk of distorted garbage and lies. This book will not fool any fan. There is some good information in the beginning, but about midway through you can hardly call the book a "tribute."

Michael Jackson Treasures by Jason King-I have mixed feelings on this whole book. The memorabilia is pretty neat. It makes it a bit like a miniature museum. The author who wrote the book does seem kind of opinionated at times. Some of his research is questionable, especially when he used the Taraborrelli book as a reference. With the exception of the reproductions of items like tickets and photos, the rest of the content didn't really live up to my expectations.

Life Commemorative: Michael Jackson- A tribute biography that gets it right. You can tell that the editors of Life magazine really do respect Michael Jackson. It's a decent, although brief reflection of his life, accompanied by some very nice photographs.

The Official Michael Jackson Opus-This is THE Michael Jackson tribute book. One could call it the equivalent to a Michael Jackson museum within a book. Dozens of high quality photographs, essays, and personal stories of Michael's legacy adorns this books pages. It covers all territories of the King of Pop as an entertainer, performer, artist, cultural icon, and humanitarian. This is a must have for fans.

Michael Jackson Conspiracy by Aphrodite Jones-This book details what went on during Michael Jackson's 2005 child molestation trial. I believe the facts presented in this book really speak for themselves. It is very well researched. I often found myself shaking my head in dismay as the events were revealed to me. It proves completely without a doubt that Michael was always an innocent man, who has just been very vulnerable to people like the Arvizos, trying to extort him of his money.

Mikky Dee

Staff
Still on the topic of "Michael as a person" and "reading something new" about him, I would highly recommend this lovely book.

17325873.jpg

The book is a very quick and easy read. Each chapter is a separate story unto itself. It is very touching and extremely loving and respectful towards Michael.

There were definitely a few tears when I read it, but this book enriched my soul, it truly did. It's not known very well by fans, but is like a hidden treasure of information.

The author, William Van Valin (Barney) was a local doctor and a neighbour of Michael's. They met by chance and developed a friendship over a period of about five years, in the early 2000s. Michael used to spend hours at Barney's house, just relaxing with a "normal" family, which as we know, is something he liked to do often.

Sidenote: I have just taken my copy of "Private Conversations" down off the shelf and what should fall out of it, but the leaves I took from a bush at Neverland when I visited the outer gates in 2013! I pressed them between the pages. It's a sign....

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
I was on the fence about buying that one, thanks. Will soon have to buy another bookshelf, too. :laughing:

Lovely idea, drying those leaves. :)

StageGlitter

Proud Member
Ooh, this is a good thread!

Making Michael, Mark Smallcombe
In Search of Neverland, Gloria Rhodes Berlin
The Man In Our Mirror: A Reflection of Our Collective Soul, Lisa Brisse

My favorite books I've read about Michael are:

1. Moonwalk - It was written by the man himself and sometimes I feel like I can hear his voice reading it to me. Totally recommend if you haven't read it yet!
2. The Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson by Joseph Vogel: Joseph is a MJ fan and in this book, he takes you deep into Michael's creative world of how every album came to life.
3. My Friend Michael: And Ordinary Friendship With An Extraordinary Man by Frank Cascio: Everyone knows Michael Jackson - the myth. But this book is about Michael Jackson - the man. Who was he really behind the scenes? Well, Frank Cascio who he and his family were friends with Michael for over twenty-five years tells his story now. Very well written book written by a true friend!
4. The King of Style: Dressing Michael Jackson by Michael Bush: This book is just beautiful! It's got amazing photos and some interesting facts about how Bush and his partner Dennis Tompkins made Michael's outfits come to life. With hard work and dedication, they achieved great success. A MUST have for MJ fans!!
5. Dancing the Dream - Someone recommended this book to me and I love it! Full of beautiful pictures and poems that Michael wrote himself. Another must have in your collection!!!

Mikky Dee

Staff
The Genius Of Michael Jackson by Steve Knopper was a good read in my opinion.

I'm interested to know more about this one. The author was previously a journalist, I believe and I usually don't trust journalists-turned-authors. What kind of genius does he explore in the book and is there anything new to discover when reading it? Is it written from a unique perspective, or is it biographical, like many books about Michael?

Mikky Dee

Staff
Michael (Hardcover book from Rolling Stone, just to throw a more negative review in there.)-What an uneven book this is. It was fair enough up until the point of Rob Sheffield's reviews of the music. Simply put, the man is an idiot. After getting through that, the rest of it has a good sized chunk of distorted garbage and lies. This book will not fool any fan. There is some good information in the beginning, but about midway through you can hardly call the book a "tribute."

Michael Jackson Treasures by Jason King-I have mixed feelings on this whole book. The memorabilia is pretty neat. It makes it a bit like a miniature museum. The author who wrote the book does seem kind of opinionated at times. Some of his research is questionable, especially when he used the Taraborrelli book as a reference. With the exception of the reproductions of items like tickets and photos, the rest of the content didn't really live up to my expectations.

Ahahahaha! I enjoyed your review of "Michael". I definitely will NOT be buying that one, so thank you!

I have "Michael Jackson Treasures" - it was a gift to me, from a friend. I agree with your review of this book. I really love all of the memorabilia reproductions and generally, the way the book is put together. The day I received it, I felt like a kid looking through it and reaching inside the pockets, to discover all the "treasures"! It feels a bit "gimmicky", in my opinion, but I'm sure Jason King's heart is in the right place - he perhaps tried to appeal to a wide target audience with this labour of love.

wendijane

Proud Member
Not sure. i just want a book of pictures. No words, no opinion of others . just glossy beautiful imagery of him. from all eras right till the end.

Moviefan2k4

I have ten different books about Michael in my collection. At the moment, I'm about halfway through Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard's book "Remember the Time", and I've also read the first couple of chapters in "83 Minutes", about the immediate aftermath regarding Michael's death.

Courtneymartin

Proud Member
I just finished reading "83 Minutes". IMO, it was a bit disappointing, but still interesting. If you've read a lot of MJ books, there's not much new info here. However, the last chapter dealing with his death conspiracy theories is quite interesting. Too bad they don't elaborate more on them, especially the one regar

Courtneymartin

Proud Member
I just finished reading the Frank Casio book and have mixed feelings about it. I hesitated because I didn't want him to exploit his friendship with MJ, but I was curious. What do some of you think about it?

I just finished reading "83 Minutes". IMO, it was a bit disappointing, but still interesting. If you've read a lot of MJ books, there's not much new info here. However, the last chapter dealing with his death conspiracy theories is quite interesting. Too bad they don't elaborate more on them, especially the one regar

I got that book at Half Price Books a while back and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Good to know it's at least mildly interesting.

Also, I think your post got cut off at the end.

TheThrillerGuy

I've been looking to get Michael Jackson "All The Songs" since last year. It cost 50 dollars and I've been too cheap to spend any money frivolously but it's cool because it gives a detailed account of all the records Michael was co-wrote, produced and or was featured on lead-vocal wise or background. Especially the songs most people aren't really aware of that tend to be my personal favorites.

Courtneymartin

Proud Member
I got that book at Half Price Books a while back and haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Good to know it's at least mildly interesting.
Also, I think your post got cut off at the end.
It did....what I was saying is the AEG conspiracy in the final chapter. Too bad they didn't dig more into that one. "Making Michael" by Mike Smallcombe is also a decent book, especially about his later years.

Courtneymartin

Proud Member
I just don't know why he exaggerated. He said he knew Michael since he was a kid. So, why tell lies? I wonder what Michael thought about him...

I know that I did read in another book (can't remember which one right now) that Michael was very upset with him about that book and stopped talking to him afterwards. IMO, the book is really a good read...quite interesting...but I don't believe all he says. I know some things are inaccurate.....even tabloid-ish. The best chapter is near the end, when he revisits Neverland after Michael's death. Very touching!

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
Is there such a thing as a complete MJ lyrics collection out there? Not looking for annotations or interpretations, just a plain old lyrics book. :)

Courtneymartin

Proud Member
Is there such a thing as a complete MJ lyrics collection out there? Not looking for annotations or interpretations, just a plain old lyrics book. :)

There is a website with lyrics to all of his songs--lyrics only. You could print it out and not have to buy a book. I don't remember the name of it. Sorry, I ran into it by luck. Just do a Google search. That's how I found it.

Mikky Dee

Staff
I've been looking to get Michael Jackson "All The Songs" since last year. It cost 50 dollars and I've been too cheap to spend any money frivolously but it's cool because it gives a detailed account of all the records Michael was co-wrote, produced and or was featured on lead-vocal wise or background. Especially the songs most people aren't really aware of that tend to be my personal favorites.

This one sounds interesting. I will definitely check it out!

Moviefan2k4

I have had many long, deep and meaningful chats with Frank Cascio in DMs on twitter and to me he is very sincere and genuine. I think he has been misunderstood by fans and there is a lot of misinformation going around amongst the fandom, about Frank and his own personal thoughts, ideas, motives, etc. A lot of things said by fans about him are just not true. He has explained many things to me. He said that he wrote the book more as a cathartic exercise, than anything else....to put his story out of his head and down on paper.....to express his own feelings....to put out there his perspective on what Michael was like and what their relationship was. He said he never expected to make money from it and didn't do it for money. I think, in many ways, fans have been just as cruel and judgmental towards Michael's friends as they have been towards his enemies; although I accept that sometimes it's hard to determine which is which.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on Frank Cascio; I loved his book and thought it was 100% true. There's some things in it that I doubt a scammer would include, which make Michael out to be as fallible as the rest of us. No rational person would include those details, if they hoped to profit from the book.

Mikky Dee

Staff

I found out yesterday that Doctor William Van Valin II passed away last week. So sad. Throughout his beautiful book, he sounds like a very sweet and caring man, who gave a lot of his time and consideration to Michael.

This is from the Michael Jackson Fans of Southern California Facebook group page. Apparently he met with MJ fans quite often and told them stories about MJ:

Very sad news. RIP Doc Barney, William Van Valin. You will be so very missed. Thank you for all the joy, love, respect and loyalty you shared with Michael Jackson and sharing your wonderful memories of MJ with MJ fans around the world.

82813248_10221336865953989_1621135732292714496_n.jpg

83488602_10221336865393975_1858434436333305856_n.jpg

bluemoon7

Proud Member
I found out yesterday that Doctor William Van Valin II passed away last week. So sad. Throughout his beautiful book, he sounds like a very sweet and caring man, who gave a lot of his time and consideration to Michael.

This is from the Michael Jackson Fans of Southern California Facebook group page. Apparently he met with MJ fans quite often and told them stories about MJ:

Very sad news. RIP Doc Barney, William Van Valin. You will be so very missed. Thank you for all the joy, love, respect and loyalty you shared with Michael Jackson and sharing your wonderful memories of MJ with MJ fans around the world.

82813248_10221336865953989_1621135732292714496_n.jpg

83488602_10221336865393975_1858434436333305856_n.jpg
That is sad to hear. I really enjoyed book about his friendship with Michael.

New Book: "The Jackson Victory Collection"

Entitled The Jackson Victory Collection , this new reference work for fans of Michael Jackson and the Jacksons, co-written by two great Belgian fans of the Jackson family, brings together, on more than a hundred pages, the largest linked collectors to the last album gathering all the Jacksons brothers.

From different versions of the album, coming from all over the world, to the single through a selection of essential pieces of merchandising, this book lists all the releases of a prosperous period for fans of the Jacksons.

Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Zimbabwe ... no country escapes the listing established by the authors. Hundreds of references, all richly illustrated.

Just over 35 after the release of Victory, here is a book that will allow fans and collectors to make further discoveries in relation to this legendary album. This book, in deluxe edition and limited to 777 copies only, contains 105 pages, entirely devoted to Victory.

This guide is intended as an informative tool while being very practical for fans. In addition to the presentation pages of discs, cassettes, etc., the Jacksons Victory Collection offers you, at the end, a summary, in the form of a listing, of all the pressings. You will be able to check off those you have and see, in the blink of an eye, those you miss.

You can buy this book on Chronica.be website.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=chronica.be/victory/

chronica.be/victory/

Mikky Dee

Staff
Re: New Book: "The Jackson Victory Collection"

Entitled The Jackson Victory Collection , this new reference work for fans of Michael Jackson and the Jacksons, co-written by two great Belgian fans of the Jackson family, brings together, on more than a hundred pages, the largest linked collectors to the last album gathering all the Jacksons brothers.

From different versions of the album, coming from all over the world, to the single through a selection of essential pieces of merchandising, this book lists all the releases of a prosperous period for fans of the Jacksons.

Japan, Mexico, Brazil, Zimbabwe ... no country escapes the listing established by the authors. Hundreds of references, all richly illustrated.

Just over 35 after the release of Victory, here is a book that will allow fans and collectors to make further discoveries in relation to this legendary album. This book, in deluxe edition and limited to 777 copies only, contains 105 pages, entirely devoted to Victory.

This guide is intended as an informative tool while being very practical for fans. In addition to the presentation pages of discs, cassettes, etc., the Jacksons Victory Collection offers you, at the end, a summary, in the form of a listing, of all the pressings. You will be able to check off those you have and see, in the blink of an eye, those you miss.

You can buy this book on Chronica.be website.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&u=chronica.be/victory/

chronica.be/victory/

This is a kind of catalogue, for collectors of the Victory Album. Intriguing.

I wonder if there are catalogues like this for Michael's solo albums?

A YouTube page for books from the Jackson Collector Books Series collection

The Jackson Collector Books Series, whose latest book is devoted to collectors of the Victory period, has opened a new YouTube page.

Aimed at collectors but also fans of Michael Jackson and the Jackson family, this Page YouTube now allows to see in video some collectors that appear in the books released in this series.

Four videos are now available. The first video is a presentation of the book "The Jacksons Victory Collection".

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-hE521mDdrYrDKhNO59IYA/featured

Michael was kind of ocd when it came to somethings. (not saying he had it or not) but he wasn't a germaphobe. he use to keep his home clean until the fake lies came out also he was a pack rat. when he died there was so many things in his home. some stuff wasn't his and guests left it there.

so no he wasn't. but he was indeed an perfectionist.

the thing about the baby. I think that different between people beliefs.

joanna48

Proud Member
I just finished reading"Supervising Neverland" and I now regret buying it. It is a very short book and not a must read. The author was forced to testify at Michael's trial and was humiliated by Thomas Mesereau. He claims to be a friend but says he can't defend Michael. He seems to have more respect for Joe Jackson than Michael. Please don't waste your money on this book.

myosotis

I just finished reading"Supervising Neverland" and I now regret buying it. It is a very short book and not a must read. The author was forced to testify at Michael's trial and was humiliated by Thomas Mesereau. He claims to be a friend but says he can't defend Michael. He seems to have more respect for Joe Jackson than Michael. Please don't waste your money on this book.

I just had a look on a site which includes page excerpts.

In this section he says: 'I had a call telling me...that at this point my job was a secret.... I would have to wear (a suit) every day to work. I found a suit store on Hollywood Boulevard. I recall telling the salesman to make me look presidential because I would soon be running Neverland'. :doh:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...Q#v=onepage&q='supervising neverland'&f=false

Thanks for your review. i'll make sure to stay away from that one.

Dan

Proud Member
I Just Finished 'Moonwalk'!

Hi everyone,

It dawned on me about a week or so ago that I had never read 'Moonwalk' (Michael's autobiography). The fact that I had never sat down and read this book, despite owning it, baffled me. I have listened to all the albums, front to back, over and over for as long as can remember, watched all the concerts, rehearsals (including This Is It) over and over too, but never actually read 'Moonwalk'. I remember hearing about it from the Oprah interview when I watched that, but always thought it was hard to get hold of for some reason. I bought it about 6 months ago, along with 'Dancing the Dream' and finally picked it up about a week ago.

If you haven't read it, you absolutely should. It was possibly the most enjoyable book I have ever read. Don't get me wrong, I didn't have an overwhelming excitement to see what happened next but every single page of that book (literally) was enjoyable. I loved reading every word. Michael's writing was excellent and the tone of book is so calm and easy to read.

What did you guys think about it?

~Dan~

joanna48

Proud Member
Re: I Just Finished 'Moonwalk'!

Dan, have you read Michael's "Dancing the Dream" yet? I thought it was just as interesting as "Moonwalker" and told us so much about Michael's character.

I never got finished reading moonwalk. when i have the time i will reread it again. dancing the dream is something i haven't read yet. so whenever i get a chance i will try to read both of them.

i know dancing the dream gonna take me longer because it a very long book. moonwalk isn't very long but i got distract. :laughing:

moonwalk is a great book so far even through i haven't got done with it. i'm glad he made it easy to read. through some fans are saying he didn't write all of it. and that he told the person who write for him with some of his own words.

but good book so far, whatever he got a ghost writer to write some it i still believe this book so well and gonna always use it for some facts about him. there two version of this book. the first and second induction after Michael passed.

i would get the first one the reviews of the second induction is great too but i heard they did something to it.

Top Bottom