MJJCommunity Announcements and Feedback

Gaz

Owner And Founder
Guys,

It's a pleasure to welcome Anna to the moderating team here at MJJCommunity.

Please give her a little time to get up to speed with things here, of course, I'm sure she is more than happy to help with anything you need.

Thanks again and welcome to the MJJCommunity family.

Mikky Dee

Sunset Driver, Midnight Rider
Dear Members,

If you once had an image in your signature that no longer exists and thus, has been replaced by a huge Tiny Pic "sad face" can you please delete that from your signature and try selecting another image that will work on the forum or perhaps even a quote? It's not a very tidy (or professional) look for the site, to have these massive inoperative image fails sitting there, as we scroll through various threads.

Thank you,
The Admin Team

(y)

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
Mikky Dee;4275486 said:
If you once had an image in your signature that no longer exists and thus, has been replaced by a huge Tiny Pic "sad face" can you please delete that from your signature and try selecting another image that will work on the forum or perhaps even a quote? It's not a very tidy (or professional) look for the site, to have these massive inoperative image fails sitting there, as we scroll through various threads.

If you have access to the CSS files of the forum’s themes, which I suppose you have, you can add:

Code:
a[href^="http://i36.tinypic.com"] { display: none; }

and it will magically make all tinypic sad faces go away, across the entire forum. :)

What it does is, it tells the browser: “If you encounter a link (a) with a reference (href) to any (^=) page on tinypic (http://i36.tinypic.com)”, don’t display it (display: none).

This is supported by all modern browsers. Someone who browses the forums with a very old browser will continue to see the sad faces, but the above code won’t break anything for them. :)

EDIT:

TinyPic went out of business, so it’s safe to filter all those references out. So you could even do:

Code:
a[href*="tinypic"] { display: none; }

which catches all (*) links to tinypic.

Last edited:

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
I have looked around a bit more on the forums, and there are a number of different ways those images are embedded, so I think, the best way to filter out all Tinypic sad faces would be:

Code:
img[src*="tinypic.com"] { display: none; }

Meaning: Browser, if you encounter an image (img) which is sourced (src) from anywhere (*) on Tinypic, don’t display it.

I’d try that one first, and then see what might be left that needs to be targeted separately. :)

I let my original post stand, for reference.

Last edited:

Gaz

Owner And Founder
Guys, I'm going to need to bring back donations, even if I can get half, I have a server that keeps going up in cost of which I'm stuck in a rock and a hard place due to the database of the forum being so big it won't fit on any smaller servers grrrr, so I will need to bring back the bar and hope some can at least chip in a little to keep it here, or I'm sorry to say but I will have to look at going down the road of closure some time next year if no help is available.

terrell

Proud Member
Guys, I'm going to need to bring back donations, even if I can get half, I have a server that keeps going up in cost of which I'm stuck in a rock and a hard place due to the database of the forum being so big it won't fit on any smaller servers grrrr, so I will need to bring back the bar and hope some can at least chip in a little to keep it here, or I'm sorry to say but I will have to look at going down the road of closure some time next year if no help is available.
Will you take a Visa or Mastercard to hep assist?

Gaz

Owner And Founder
I don't have a card reader, but you can do a direct bank transfer if you wish?

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We are going to be shutting our community forum and website unless we get help to keep it, our fan site and forum is iconic, it’s been there for decades, has millions of posts, but it’s not free to host, so unless as a collect as fans we can fund it, it’s time is over.</p>&mdash; MJJCommunity (@MJJCommunity) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJJCommunity/status/1210783511994454016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">28. Dezember 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$40.00
72321311_174322016958587_7314381764109472292_n.jpg

Just donated, join #MFam

KOPV

Proud Member
This thread is for general announcements from MJJC Administration.

It is also for feedback from the community, about the announcements and about anything that members would like to see happening, or not happening.

Constructive, productive discussion and positive Q & A sessions are most welcome.

I'm really saying this with love for this place. MJJC does not have to shut down, a facelift is needed. Pride needs to be put aside, peoples talent need to be utilized, and progression with the times must be brought in.

MJJC has many followers and many people that have a level of distrust. I am openly saying this because I want this place to continue! I have had a number of individuals stop speaking to me because of the fact I've always called mjjc (and prior to that mjjf) 'home'.

A public 'changing of the guards' with a public announcement revealing the change and campaign would do a lot. There are several things we could be doing to save this.

* donation of talent
* A unique paid section with good incentive to actually use it
* youtube live

Things need to be stripped back, the pressure of the name that comes with mjjc needs to be looked at differently. There are people that love coming to mjjc yet feel obligated to stay away because of social pressure. THAT is the hub of what needs to change.

I really don't want to see this place go!

Mikky, you've been the saving grace of this place for some time now. Thank you for doing what you do!

myosotis

Proud Member
Paris78;4277598 said:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We are going to be shutting our community forum and website unless we get help to keep it, our fan site and forum is iconic, it&#8217;s been there for decades, has millions of posts, but it&#8217;s not free to host, so unless as a collect as fans we can fund it, it&#8217;s time is over.</p>&#8212; MJJCommunity (@MJJCommunity) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJJCommunity/status/1210783511994454016?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">28. Dezember 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess this has already been considered- doing what commercial companies do when times are hard (eg making the packs of biscuits etc smaller before increasing the price), and cutting back all except the bare essentials, ie discussion that isn't available anywhere else??

Sections like MJJ pictures, What about us, Anything goes and even 2300 Jackson street (including archived sections under these headings) contain info which is available elsewhere.

The problem with keeping a large multi-platform format is that it will always get bigger, and the cost problem will recurr at frequent intervals. If the 'competition*' doesn't charge, then charging is difficult. (* ie MJ pages on Youtube, FB, Twitter feeds etc).

It would be a pity to throw the excellent 'MJ legacy' baby out with the expensive forum bathwater. Maybe a much smaller, simpler active forum structure can be found?

Last edited:

PoP

Proud Member
MJJC has been my virtual home away from home for over 10 years and I don&#8217;t want that to be shut down. I&#8217;d donate to save it if I could. I don&#8217;t have a credit card and I won&#8217;t be able to.

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
PoP;4277621 said:
MJJC has been my virtual home away from home for over 10 years and I don&#8217;t want that to be shut down. I&#8217;d donate to save it if I could. I don&#8217;t have a credit card and I won&#8217;t be able to.

A call for donations should never make anyone feel bad who can&#8217;t donate at the time. :)

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
Greez and as soon i just join a few months ago. i'm gonna be honest. this is a great oldest MJ site i been to so far. this site does need more updates and mods. if the owner planning on leaving we need another well respect older MJ fan.

this is great site been going for 17-18 years. i don't wanna see it go. and newer fans and older fans alike been joining this site since the fallout early this year march.

i hope this place get enough donations and a new owner and some more mods. a lot of people from the older gen and new gen are here. so i only wish this site the best as we stand.

if this end, it's was nice joining this site for a few months. great to see mj fans still around and saving his legacy.

is there any other sites to recommend if this site close down?

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
NatureCriminal7896;4277642 said:
how money does this site runs on?

According to the donations request we&#8217;re looking at around $100 per month. That&#8217;s really not that much, considering how many members this community has. We can certainly do this. :)

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
$100 dollars a month isn't much but how many active user on this site? if gaz planning on leaving we need a new owner to take over.

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
We probably made need to get rid of some of things off this site if we can't paid for all of them. for example the groups award. there's no reason to make groups so that would be one of the best things to remove from the site.

somethings need to be remove from this site especially no need for them or just sitting there for no reason. make some room. this site doesn't have to be the bestest but at least good enough for MJ news and fans can talk to each other. not forget mods to look after people and rules etc.

a site can't keep going without good mods or owner there's something else we need too as well.

DifferentKindOfLady

Proud Member
ScreenOrigami;4277624 said:
A call for donations should never make anyone feel bad who can&#8217;t donate at the time. :)

I can't donate at the time. I also don't have a credit card. If I could I'd donate, so I feel guilty. I don't want this to end since Im here since october, this has been like home, a place where everyone loves Michael just like me. I feel guilty to see others paying and I'm just here doing nothing, unless praying for this site not to shut down.
So, I say sorry to all of you because I can't donate right now. :(

PoP

Proud Member
DifferentKindOfLady;4277656 said:
I can't donate at the time. I also don't have a credit card. If I could I'd donate, so I feel guilty. I don't want this to end since Im here since october, this has been like home, a place where everyone loves Michael just like me. I feel guilty to see others paying and I'm just here doing nothing, unless praying for this site not to shut down.

See? Not everybody has a credit card like not everybody has mobile phones. I still wish there&#8217;s another way we without credit cards can donate.

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
PoP;4277658 said:
See? Not everybody has a credit card like not everybody has mobile phones. I still wish there&#8217;s another way we without credit cards can donate.

You don&#8217;t need a credit card to use PayPal though. :)

ScreenOrigami

Proud Member
DifferentKindOfLady;4277656 said:

Nah, don&#8217;t feel sorry. You&#8217;re doing a lot for this community by being one of the active members who keep the spirit up. You&#8217;re one of the people why I&#8217;m still here, for example. :)

I really think all we need is a Patreon to Gaz&#8217;s name. When people see that they can already help by giving as little as a Dollar a month, I&#8217;m sure we&#8217;ll have more than enough to keep this going.

Gaz

Owner And Founder
ScreenOrigami;4277666 said:
Nah, don&#8217;t feel sorry. You&#8217;re doing a lot for this community by being one of the active members who keep the spirit up. You&#8217;re one of the people why I&#8217;m still here, for example. :)

I really think all we need is a Patreon to Gaz&#8217;s name. When people see that they can already help by giving as little as a Dollar a month, I&#8217;m sure we&#8217;ll have more than enough to keep this going.

Could not agree more, keeping the community going by being active is just as important as helping with keeping it here.

I've also now created a Patreon page https://www.patreon.com/mjjcommunity hopfully we can get 30 people contributing $5 a month so donations will never need to exist here and more so I will never have to come begging again, which I bloomin hate doing haha...