Most beautiful ballad on Invincible

Which ballad on Invincible do you like the most?

• Total voters
“You are my Life” and “Lost Children”. They are very different types, but both beautiful songs!

I don't get why so many people seem to dislike The Lost Children, it's a beautiful piece.

I love the lost children... but voted speechless!!!!

On Bose speakers I can hear actual angels in the backing vocals of that song!!! It is perfection!!!

No doubt all are beautiful. But I can't choose between Break Of Dawn And Speechless :D

Whatever happens to me .. A ballad totally different to everything Michael has done, with a very good lyrics .. :)

Speechless, because this is how I feel about my girl.

OK, I had to stop and think before making a choice.
I was gonna say "Toss-up between Break of Dawn and Don't Walk Away", but my final answer goes to the former. I think the uniqueness of it won me over. Don't Walk Away, in comparison, is the kind of song I can expect from him or others.

Wow. I'm shocked to see Speechless running away with the lead here. I think it's a bit of underrated track with a good melody, if a bit on the cheesy side. But I thought for sure Butterflies would be winning.

I went with Break of Dawn. Great beat, good tempo, great singing... a really great track. Butterflies isn't far behind.
Same here. It almost feels like, many of us here showed up to show support for the song.
Never knew the song has this many fans!
I agree on the song being on the "cheesy" side. Sorry, that's how I really feel.
That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the sentiment of the song. Just not my cup of tea.

For me, it was a tie between Don't Walk Away and Speechless but I chose Speechless because it's just a really beautiful song - it never fails to make me smile and I always get a rush of joy listening to it.

Indeed, the obvious choice for me is Speechless even before I opened the thread and read the choices lol

"Whatever Happens" and "Don't walk away" make a good 2nd and 3rd choice as I love the heart breaking 'story line' in it but it's the A Capella in "Speechless" that rips your heart out really :heart:

Break of Dawn for me. Just wish MJ would have done all the background vocals himself.

Butterflies got my vote. I set this song as my wake-up alarm. I wake up with MJ's whispering "Butterflies" every mornings :love:

Don’t Walk Away punches me in the heart every single time. His voice and the lyrics are flawless.

It's a tough choice between Speechless and Butterflies, as both are gorgeous songs and feature some of the finest vocals from Michael. I'll go with Speechless, but only just.

Last edited:
I voted for Whatever Happens as I love everything about it: the melody, the lyrics, the mood and it has the most balanced production for me.

I agree though that Speechless has the most amazing vocals, I just wish the instrumentation was more stripped down, sort of acoustic to convey better the vulnerable and... well, speechless feel to it.

Break Of Down could be also perfect for me with MJ only background vocals.

Butterflies is a beautiful song with great vocals that I appreciate a lot, but the style isn't really my cup of tea.

I consider The Lost Children a good song too with an important topic so dear to MJ.

And I must confess that although it's quite an average song I can't help but like Cry, the melody is just so nice to my ears, I always have to hum along when I hear it.

Hmmm, reading through this there isn't such a big problem with the ballads on Invincible after all (which has been my impression). Maybe it's just that there's too many of them on one album and not well-sorted.

BREAK OF DAWN

watch

Break of Dawn is just incredible and it is really Prince like too. The sexy sound of this smouldering ballad is Michael's best quiet storm ballad of all time and reminds me a lot of Al Green, Marvin Gaye and even some Teddy Prendergrass along with Prince at his most sexy and soulful.

The whole album is full of killer ballads and Michael's voice just sores, some of his best singing is on Invincible.
Speechless, Heaven can wait, Cry, Butterflies, You are my life and of course Wahtever Happens are just vocal magic.

This is the first poll I have voted on! I like a lot of these songs, but I will pick Whatever Happens. The lyrics, the way the song sounds, and Michael's vocals all pass for me.

Wow I just realized there were 9 slow/ballads on this album. Maybe that was the problem. Heaven can wait is an amazing r&b jam. Maybe not your typical Michael song but incredible music. Now break of dawn is a song you can get down to with your significant other and the base line at the 3rd quarter mark is funky as hell. Love it

I never understood the love for speechless. I ca't stand it, totally dislike the lyrics and a cappella stuff. Corny to the max

Back