New MJ content (Possibility)

lubyss

Proud Member
Who cares about position... For me it's about the music I'm listening to. I never listen to the duet version of LNFSG...

Well... we all should care... Good position in charts means more money and commercial succes, which leads estate to release more music for us...

Maxym

Proud Member
more money and commercial succes, which leads estate to release more music for us...

To what extent has this statement been true since 2009?

(Yet if the point is to ruin MJ's works in order to have more money to ruin more MJ's works... ...)

Nite Line

Proud Member
To what extent has this statement been true since 2009?

(Yet if the point is to ruin MJ's works in order to have more money to ruin more MJ's works... ...)

So LNFSG was ruined? The remixed solo version of the song and the duet with Timberlake was a lot better than the demo version. A lot of people even many non MJ fans loved that song and it introduced MJ to a new audience.

Leomax

Proud Member
So LNFSG was ruined? The remixed solo version of the song and the duet with Timberlake was a lot better than the demo version. A lot of people even many non MJ fans loved that song and it introduced MJ to a new audience.
Agree, they ruined several songs but LNFSG is not one of them alongside Loving You.

dam2040

Proud Member
I think a lot of people are forgetting why these duets are done.

By using someone like Timberlake, MJ got extra exposure and it no longer can be seen as a legacy release. More eyes. More sales.

MJ and The Weeknd or Bruno would be huge. I really think it would be a massive hit if the song was good.

As long as we get the originals too, IÂ’m all for the Estate trying to get new fans and appeal to a new audience.

Maxym

Proud Member
As long as we get the originals too,...

Yes, it's not the first time we have this type of debates, and this is always some kind of conclusion.

(And in my mind it's MJ's originals, not "remixed originals".)

But yet I wonder if the public would "really" prefer the remixed things if they all could easily compare with MJ's originals...

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member

I agree 100%. I LOVE the original AND the remix with Timberlake.

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member

By using someone like Timberlake, MJ got extra exposure and it no longer can be seen as a legacy release. More eyes. More sales.

MJ and The Weeknd or Bruno would be huge. I really think it would be a massive hit if the song was good.

As long as we get the originals too, I’m all for the Estate trying to get new fans and appeal to a new audience.

Exactly. Btw, I absolutely LOVED the Xscape project and HOPE they do another project like that with the ORIGINALS and the REMIXES. That way you have something for older fans and the newer fans. It’s not only about keeping us older fans it’s about gaining a NEW generation of fans, which Michael does like no other legacy act.

alanram

Proud Member
There's no reason to complain about remixes when the originals are officially available to the public. None of the songs on Xscape were ruined. Actually, I truly believe the whole Xscape project was very decent compared to the Michael album. That album was ruined. What they did to HT is just unacceptable...

Maxym

Proud Member
Also already discussed, what there is to complain about is that the original are "hidden" to the public being only available as bonus tracks on the "deluxe" edition. Which is probably also a "limited edition" ?
I think they should be given at least the same importance as the "remixed" versions on the regular edition of the album.

Also, I think that all song on the "regular remixed" edition of Xscape are ruined (or at least made inferior to initial versions), except maybe the title track.

alanram

Proud Member
Its expected for an MJ fan to prefer the originals. However, the estate is not working on these projects to please the fans that have been supporting MJ for over 40 years. They are aiming to introduce MJ to a new audience. Giving this newer audience mixes that come straight from the late 90s just won't work. I know it sounds obvious, but even MJ needs to be reinvented. I'm not going to discuss your personal opinion about the remixes here, which is...Personal (i guess), but I can say as a Marketing professional, it makes sense to rework the songs for a new album and try to appeal to a newer audience. For the fans that are interested in hearing the originals, the deluxe version is there to satisfy them. This does not mean the orignals are "hidden". This means that the estate was smart enough to notice that maybe some fans would be interested in the originals, and officially releasing them in a deluxe set was the best option.

SmoothGangsta

Proud Member

As long as we get the originals too, I’m all for the Estate trying to get new fans and appeal to a new audience.

I'm really not interested in remixes/features being presented as MJ's art and his real music being dumped in lq on a bonus disc.

alanram

Proud Member
I'm really not interested in remixes/features being presented as MJ's art and his real music being dumped in lq on a bonus disc.

That's just what I said. The estate knows that die hard fans would never stop listening to MJ. That's why they have the freedom to reinvent MJ's work for a newer audience without losing the support of the older fans. His real music is not being dumped. It was oficially released for fans like you, who are interested in hearing the originals. However, don't expect any teenager to add a demo from 1999 to their Spotify playlist.

Maxym

Proud Member
Legendary artists "from the past" still sell tons of music "from the past". Who else in this list does "remix" songs and give them so much importance that they eject original versions from their main discography ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Even if music has evolved a lot, or I should "what the music industry is wanting to sell" has changed a lot, I think people are still quite able to understand that something has written and recorded at a given time and appreciate for what it is.

alanram

Proud Member
Agreed. They do have great sales, but they're not trending in the industry. The estate wants Michael Jackson's music to reach newgrounds. People can understand that something has been written and recorded at a given time, but most of them are not going to appreciate that as MJ fans do. Honeslty, I don't get this nonstop drama that runs across the community. Do the remixes really offend you? I don't believe reworking MJ's music for a new album would affect his carreer in any way. Unfortunately, Michael is gone and he will never be able to reinvent himself again, but the producers can give the demos some love and try to make them sound like modern MJ tracks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Leomax

Proud Member
Legendary artists "from the past" still sell tons of music "from the past". Who else in this list does "remix" songs and give them so much importance that they eject original versions from their main discography ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Even if music has evolved a lot, or I should "what the music industry is wanting to sell" has changed a lot, I think people are still quite able to understand that something has written and recorded at a given time and appreciate for what it is.

Elvis Presley Estate released an electronic remix of A Little Less Conversation by JXL in 2002 as the lead single from a compilation album that did not include the original version, Queen released a rap remix of Another One Bites the Dust with Wyclef Jean and a dance remix of Under Pressure as singles to promote Greatest Hits III, George Michael Estate released a disco remix of Fantasy in 2017, Whitney Houston Estate released a dance remix of Higher Love with Kygo in 2019, Donna Summer Estate did the same with I Feel Love in 2020 (they release an album with remixes this year too), etc none of those singles included the original version and some releases were not even made clear that they were "remixes", they were released as new songs.

Those were just a few examples of remixes released by dead legacy acts, if we're talking about living legacy artists the list is endless.

And regarding sales, none of those on the wikipedia list that you shared sells tons of music currently, not even current artists, the second best-selling album last year barely sold 3 million, imagine the artists who do not even appear in the charts...

dam2040

Proud Member
The Weeknd just said on his radio show he’s currently working in Westlake studios and doesn’t want to “disappoint the ghost of Captain EO”.

This is on his Apple Music radio show, Memento Mori. Take from that what you will.

Maxym

Proud Member
Doesn't necessarily tell about new MJ content.
Maybe he's just saying that because he's in a place where MJ worked, it doesn't say anything about what he's working on.

Did he work there in the past? Because then, that could give a different meaning to him saying that.

dam2040

Proud Member
Doesn't necessarily tell about new MJ content.
Maybe he's just saying that because he's in a place where MJ worked, it doesn't say anything about what he's working on.

Did he work there in the past? Because then, that could give a different meaning to him saying that.

Not sure. He played Starlight (Thriller demo) straight after saying that.

AlwaysThere

Proud Member
Individually, everything The WeekndÂ’s done over the last year or so really isnÂ’t that damning. But for him to randomly post pictures of MJ on his Instagram story, then randomly reference Captain EO in coordination with Westlake on his talk show, then randomly play an unrelated demo, is definitely eyebrow raising.

Honestly, if the rumors are true and The Weeknd is on a song, hopefully itÂ’s one that was never fully recorded (or if it was, hopefully they treat it like the Timberlake duet and attach it as a bonus track).

Hess

Proud Member
Individually, everything The Weeknd’s done over the last year or so really isn’t that damning. But for him to randomly post pictures of MJ on his Instagram story, then randomly reference Captain EO in coordination with Westlake on his talk show, then randomly play an unrelated demo, is definitely eyebrow raising.

Honestly, if the rumors are true and The Weeknd is on a song, hopefully it’s one that was never fully recorded (or if it was, hopefully they treat it like the Timberlake duet and attach it as a bonus track).

Agreed

Dilan

Proud Member
So as we know according to predictrnb on Twitter thereÂ’s going to be an announcement an album next week. We all obviously donÂ’t know for sure but I think they are going to say something because the prediction sheÂ’s/he is her most popular one and itÂ’s too near term. If nothing happens next week and she backtracks they are going to look ridiculous.

Please everyone pray. Only thing IÂ’m concerned about is how thereÂ’s an announcement next week and it hasnÂ’t leaked to anyone else but them. IsnÂ’t mkgenie going to say something if it was true

Pentum

Proud Member
The Weeknd is overhyped and overplayed by now. His voice is too whiny for my taste. They have to realise that Bruno Mars is a way better candidate in terms on music. But whatever, I have stopped caring at this point and I am sure many other fans have as well. I'll just have to eat what is on the table.