Old voice or New Voice?

Old Voice Or New Voice?

• Total voters

Mankind

Proud Member
Hi all, I just transfered from MJNO and I wanted to create my first discussion here....so HI :). This is about Michael's voice. Clearly his voice has changed over the years, it sounds more mature now, but we all know that is bound to happen....it's normal.

So, am sure many of you have heard the new mix for WBSS. I was just wondering which vocals you prefer, the old vocals or the new vocals? I have provided a sample so you can compare. Keep in mind that am not talking about the song in general but more about his voice.

http://media.putfile.com/Mj-1983-Vs-2008

As far as im concerned they cant really compare. Different time, different songs! Lol.
I love the vocals in the new version! But the original will always be a classic.

i love MJ now and then. i will always love EVERYTHING he does, BUT i like the original :)

Hi all, I just transfered from MJNO and I wanted to create my first discussion here....so HI :). This is about Michael's voice. Clearly his voice has changed over the years, it sounds more mature now, but we all know that is bound to happen....it's normal.

So, am sure many of you have heard the new mix for WBSS. I was just wondering which vocals you prefer, the old vocals or the new vocals? I have provided a sample so you can compare. Keep in mind that am not talking about the song in general but more about his voice.

http://media.putfile.com/Mj-1983-Vs-2008

its the same for me, except now his voice is a bit deeper and more edger lol But he can still sing sweet and smooth like Thriller days if he wanted to.

Also as far as WBSS...i think it would be a better assessment if MJ sang the whole song lol

its the same for me, except now his voice is a bit deeper and more edger lol But he can still sing sweet and smooth like Thriller days if he wanted to.

Also as far as WBSS...i think it would be a better assessment if MJ sang the whole song lol

I agree to some extent, although I think he should've redone the whole Thriller album with his present voice.

When it comes to his voice, I feel like now a days he struggles a little bit. It just seems like he used his voice with ease when he was younger. I can pretty much hear a little bit of a struggle on the WBSS mix.

yeah..like he does in one more chance he can sound smooth..

and wbss.08.no struggle...people don't seem to appreciate the growl....

Last edited:
Yeah. He doesn't struggle. He put edge in it. He can still sing smoothly and all that, check out most of the ballads on invincible. And yeah the growl...he found his edgy voice and I think MJ likes it so he sings with it most of the time LOL. But he wasn't struggling.

And what i reallllly like about the WBSS vocals is the fact that he runs the words...its so quirky but it reminds me of live preformances...and I've just always loved how he sung it like that. You know what I mean? Like he creates a running BOUNCE in the lyrics..."sommmm-one'souuul-ways TRYIN' "....thats how it sounds :lol: I love that lol

Michael doesn't struggle, lol. Seriously folks, he's stylizing. He's vocally in his prime and his range is still tops. His voice has changed somewhat, obviously as you grow older, that occurs. But he's always sung with a bit of roughness, its part of his style, except when he sings ballads usually. It's not like he can't sing high and clear, he can, and he has, on "Childhood", "Earth Song", when he does that ahahaaah thing, "You Are Not Alone", "Speechless", etc...

This new version of WBSS only features like 3 or 4 seconds of new vocals from Michael, so obviously you'd have to prefer the original. But I like his new vocals, they're biting and in your face and that's tight.

Last edited:
yeah, I dont think he struggles at all!

He sings according to how he feels! His voice is a bit deeper and mature, but he can switch it up if he wants to!!! I looooooove all the 'voices' he uses equally *sigh*

I sure can, but it's weird that it doesn't work for you. All you have to do is press play and you can just hear the music. Oh well, what upload host you want?

nvm, its ok. i had to install a plug in :D

I hear the 'struggle' people are talking about (not just wbss remix) other newer ones.. It's not really STRUGGLE, but you can hear him trying to contain his voice more..

I'm not going to get ino it though.. I don't want people to bash me.. lol!

Last edited:
OK.. just a little..

When singers want to contain a vocal in a specific tone, length, style, and still have a strong vibrato they sometimes have this technique where they hold back there breath a lot as they execute the vocal..

Michael hardly ever did that, he never had to, did not want to.. Whatever it is.. Now most newer songs, some on Invincible, and after use this technique..

He does not ALWAYS use it, but when it comes to fast rhythmadic words, he does.. (which is the hardest type of singing to do when you have a strong voice)

He used to just sing it out naturally as if he was talking.. Now he contains it.. You can hear it..

This also tends to make the voice sound deeper..

Last edited:
OK.. just a little..

When singers want to contain a vocal in a specific tone, length, style, and still have a strong vibrato they sometimes have this technique where they hold back there breath a lot as they execute the vocal..

Michael hardly ever did that, he never had to, did not want to.. Whatever it is.. Now most newer songs, some on Invincible, and after use this technique..

He does not ALWAYS use it, but when it comes to fast rhythmadic words, he does.. (which is the hardest type of singing to do when you have a strong voice)

He used to just sing it out naturally as if he was talking.. Now he contains it.. You can hear it..

This also tends to make the voice sound deeper..

My man! lol but seriously, that's what am talking about, he used to have this natural flow and now is like he forces his voice. A good example would also be in the song I'll Be There (live). On the Bad Tour, listen to the ad-libs at the end (especially the one in Wembley amateur I think)....my God that's what did it for me. Now, let's move on to the History Tour or even the 30th anniversary concert amateur. The ad-libs on the same song, you can't compare it with the one from the Bad Tour. It's like he took the easy way out, or like he couldn't pull it off like he did on the Bad Tour, therefore it didn't sound nearly as powerful in my opinion.

I still think that he is a good singer, but I think he was a better singer when he was younger. Don't get me wrong though, some of my favorite songs are his more recent songs. Of course, I hear he is working on his voice with a vocal coach so he might be improving. God, I just have to listen to this new album already. lol

Last edited:
I never liked his voice....

lol I threw it in there just for the heck of it, but I didn't think anyone was going to vote for it. If you are serious, then I respect your vote. I mean some people are more into his dancing rather than his singing anyway. However, I would love for you to break it down.;)

lol I threw it in there just for the heck of it, but I didn't think anyone was going to vote for it. If you are serious, then I respect your vote. I mean some people are more into his dancing rather than his singing anyway. However, I would love for you to break it down.;)

I'm serious cos *cheasey moment* I LOVE HIS VOICE :WILD:

its the reason why i even got into music otherwise before MJ i couldnt care less about music

I never liked his voice....

:lol:

You so crazy chaos! lol

And yo, Michael isn't struggling, it's stylizing. He can sing in any fashion he wants to. His range is still there, but people mistake his technique for a lack of it. But if you listen to songs like "Speechless" or "The Way You Love Me", he still has that ability to sing with fluidity and softly. He likes staccatto technique, that's all and he likes to put strain in his voice to give it an emotive affect. And people should be impressed by that because its effing hard to do, lol. Give an American Idol a song like "Jam" and see how they do. But in a song like "Cheater", for example, Michael will sing the verses with that edge and that harshness, but he sings the chorus high and clear.

He's been working with a vocal coach since before "Thriller", so that's nothing new. His voice has gotten slightly deeper, but he still has incredible range, both high and low.

Last edited:
The For All Time vocals are new, and MJ sings effortlessly through that. Just like he sings "lady in my life"...it's JUST as smooth. LOL
And I dunno exactly about the breathing technique but MJ's voice IS deeper since Thriller days lol.

so if MJ is "forcing" his voice, it's by choice...not cuz he's lost some abilities.

Back