Our beautiful universe! Pics of solar systems & stars!

Billie_Jean09

Proud Member
Our universe is amazing! :)
Mind boggling beauty of stars and the solar system!
No one can surely not be amazed and absorbed by pics like these! :doh::yes:

http://ht.ly/2CQ3p

Our Michael would love these pics I'm sure!

It really is beautiful up there

galaxy3.jpg

My favourite constellation: The Pleiades :)

Pleiades.jpg

Yes the universe is really beautiful. Which is why astronomy has been a major passion of mine ever since I remember hearing about the return of Halley's Comet back in 1986. The nebulas and the galaxies is what I really L.O.V.E. about the Universe. This has always been my favorite galaxy:

Andromeda

nasa_-_the_andromeda_galaxy,_m31,_spyral_galaxy.jpg

And these are some of my favorite nebulas:

Horse Head

horsehead_verschatse_f.jpg

Orion

orion_seip.jpg
'

Ghost Head

ngc2080_hst.jpg

Rosette

rosette_gendler.jpg

Tarantula

tarantula_brimacombe_big.jpg

I just totally L.O.V.E. astronomy so much.

I once had the loan of my local Astronomy Society Club which was a 12 inch reflector. Boy did I get some brilliant views through it :D It gave me the best personal views of Saturn I've ever seen! :D

Here's a few pics from during my distance learning course with UCLan:

IMGP1951.jpg

Astrofest.jpg

IMGP1482.jpg

A personal favourite:

IMGP1948.jpg

Absolutely lovely! Fantastic!

Stephen - I did not know you were into astronomy! I have always had an interest but never pursued it. Right now I am watching the documentary called The Universe.

Oh I am in a very big way Nancii! :D I'd openly encourage you to look into doing an adult course as it has so many benifits and is also extremely fun :) I love Astronomy. I love the documentary series called "Space" which is presented by actor Sam Neil and there's also another series called Sky At Night presented by Sir Patrick Moore and the series has been going strong since 1957!! I'd recommend you look at a few clips of it on YouTube :D

Yes the universe is really beautiful. Which is why astronomy has been a major passion of mine ever since I remember hearing about the return of Halley's Comet back in 1986. The nebulas and the galaxies is what I really L.O.V.E. about the Universe. This has always been my favorite galaxy:

Andromeda

And these are some of my favorite nebulas:

Horse Head

Orion

orion_seip.jpg
'

Ghost Head

ngc2080_hst.jpg

Rosette

rosette_gendler.jpg

Tarantula

I just totally L.O.V.E. astronomy so much.

Amazingly beautiful! :yes:
Thanks for posting these wonderful pics!
Humbling isnt it? :yes:

I once had the loan of my local Astronomy Society Club which was a 12 inch reflector. Boy did I get some brilliant views through it :D It gave me the best personal views of Saturn I've ever seen! :D

Here's a few pics from during my distance learning course with UCLan:

IMGP1951.jpg

Astrofest.jpg

IMGP1482.jpg

A personal favourite:

IMGP1948.jpg

Your pics are lovely Stephen!
I didnt know you were a star gazer same as me! :D
I've always been fascinated by the solar system! :agree:
your pic of the moon was just right, to show the crevices etc! :bugeyed
Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful, I love astronomy. We are just a tiny part of a magnificent masterpiece :)

It always amazes me how scientists can look at pictures like this and not believe that only God could cause something this beautiful !!
eagle-nebula.jpg

irregular-galaxy.jpg

It always amazes me how scientists can look at pictures like this and not believe that only God could cause something this beautiful !!
eagle-nebula.jpg

irregular-galaxy.jpg

I know where the first picture is from.:wub:
And, I agree.:yes:

Thanks for adding your amazing pics everyone.:D
I have a question to ask you now, still on the topic of the solar system.
Do you remember several years back when we experienced a total eclipse?
I think it was in 1999? Total eclipse of the sun.
I used a pin hole camera thingamy jigamy, home made using a box and piece of paper in the back garden of where I lived in London UK!
I took pics of the eclipse, and although it was a cloudy day, there was a definate difference in the light, and it appeared to be almost 'dusk' ( the time just before it turns dark) at approx 11am if I recall?
I'll find my pics, scan and post them tomo after I've slept! :yes:
I'd love to hear your stories if you have experienced a total eclipse- with pics even better! :wub:

To give you a taster before I sort out posting my own personal amatuer pics- here's an interesting link!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/11/newsid_2494000/2494687.stm

Last edited:

Being a science major i'm one of those people and how people can't just admire nature that has no creator yet believe in a figment of the imagination is beyond me but that a discussion for another thread lol i agree the pictures are beautiful.

The pictures are so beautiful.

I love to see the stars but I don´t know the names of the pictures, and if I know the name i can´t find the picture in the sky.
I just enjoy the beauty.

not been able to find my old photo album that has pics of the eclipse. :(
The thing I've noticed is that here in the UK we seem to be having a season of tv documentries relating to the night sky, universe, possibilities of other life forms existing elsewhere out there.
A Steven Hawking programme was on last night which was interesting!:alien:

This is beautiful... The universe is wonderful, why we try to destroy its beautiful things? Before trying to reach other planets to leave this... We should try to make this better... Cause the way humans are right now if we reach other planet we will do the same we're doing to this one

Anybody watch Jupiter last night? Was incredible in my neck of the woods. The sun was going down, while the full moon was already out. Magnificent.

Then Jupiter beneath the full moon. So bright.

I've been watching it for the past few nights (when the clouds haven't hampered my viewing!) and I just love it. My old telescope is falling to pieces so I'm having to make do with my fairly strong binoculars :)

Here's a 2004 image:

decMoonJup_westlake_c1.jpg

I've been watching it for the past few nights (when the clouds haven't hampered my viewing!) and I just love it. My old telescope is falling to pieces so I'm having to make do with my fairly strong binoculars

Here's a 2004 image:

Wow, that is a brilliant picture ..in every sense. I could watch stars and planets all night, but have never seen them magnified more than by binoculars.

I love to see the pictures of nebulae, but I guess these are all coloured by special filters / absorbers. What colours is /are nebulae 'to the naked eye? are any of them actually coloured at all?

I loved these from google

The bubble nebula,

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:694&biw=1602&bih=779

The angel nebula

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...e=1&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0&tx=119&ty=108

and the Witch head nebula

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:156&biw=1602&bih=779

orion_seip.jpg
'
ngc2080_hst.jpg

rosette_gendler.jpg

Can I ask.. Are these picture for real? :O

This is not a real picture.. more a fantasy, but I think it's beautiful :)
80713.jpg

Back