Prince Appreciation Thread - For Fans

Cinnamon234

Okay, where are all my Prince fans at? I know there are a lot of Michael fans such as myself who love Prince as well. After Michael, Prince is my favorite artist actually. What can I say about Prince really that hasn't been said already? I mean he's a musical genius and one of the greatest and most influential entertainers ever. I saw him on his "Musicology" tour three times back a few years ago and thought he was incredible. Definitely the best live performer i've ever seen.

prince_of_persia_prince.jpg

My Top 10 Prince albums:

1)Sign 'O' The Times
2)1999
3)Purple Rain
4)Parade
5)Black Album
6)The Rainbow Children
7)Prince
8)Emancipation
9)The Gold Experience
10)Diamonds & Pearls

What about everyone else? What is your fave Prince album (s), song, etc.?

Re: Prince...........

I love Prince, he's definitely one of my top favorite solo artists. He has so many great songs (Purple Rain, Erotic City, Cream, to name a few ;) )

I also really like his newer material. He's one of the few artists that I would buy an album without hearing any of the tracks beforehand. :yes:

Top Ten? Hmm, I guess I'd rank in this order:

1. Lovesexy
2. Emancipation
3. The Gold Experience
4. Come (an underrated masterpiece)
5. Around The World In A Day
6. Dirty Mind
7. Sign 'O The Times
8. Musicology
9. The Rainbow Children

Last edited:

Bob George

1. Sign 'O' the Times
2. Purple Rain
3. 1999
4. Dirty Mind
5. Prince
6. Gold Experience
7. Parade
8. Controversy
9. Lovesexy
10. Love Symbol

EssenceOfMagic

I only got a compilation late last year 'Prince Ultimate'. I love love love 'I wanna be your lover'!! it's soooo good! aswell as When Doves Cry and Little red Corvette. They are brilliant! and My Name Is Prince is hilarious!

BillieJeanDarling

Did someone say Prince? :woohoo:

Prince and Michael Jackson are my favorite artists of all time.
I think Prince is a genious, and I'm not nearly finished listening to all his material. From the albums I've heard so far I like Purple Rain, Sign 'O' The Times, Parade, Diamonds And Pearls, 3121 and Around The World In A Day the best.

Last edited:

Tony R

Best Prince songs for me:

7 (very underrated)
When Doves Cry
Sign O The Times
Diamonds & Pearls
U Got The Look
Sexy MF

J5master

Man I LOVE prince, also my fav artist second to mj.

Favorite songs:
1. Purple rain of course
2. I would Die For You
3. I wanna Be Your Lover
4. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (this song has such a VIBE to it. It makes me happy, and brings me WAY back to the 80s, cuz it sounds like such an 80s song :lol: ANd it takes me back,even when i can remember the part of the 80s that i lived through lol)
5. Cream (yum lol)
6. 7
8. The Greatest Romance Ever Sold
9. Adore (he PREACHED! in this song lol)
10. Black Sweat.

dangerous_88

Purple Rain is one of my favorite songs ever. And Prince is an amazing musician. And his slut-like behavior is hilarious too :D

Roxanne

i like some of his songs. i have a few of his albums. i've heard he has released like 30 albums :eek: i have 7 of them :D
my fave songs are: i would die 4 u, cream, red corvette, 1999, kiss, oh sheila and others that i dont remember the titles of :p

J5master

haha i love that song too! ^^ :lol:

"I want to te da dee la dee....ah te la de da loo" :lol:

DuranDuran

Proud Member

I have all of his albums (some as vinyl), a lot of the maxi-singles with the unedited full versions, and even a few "unofficials", lol.

Does anybody else besides me think that Planet Earth was a fantastic album? I thought it was much better than 3121, in terms of the music and artwork.

mj_brainiac

Proud Member

My top 10?
in random order:
Sign O' The Times
Lovesexy
For You
The Gold Experience
Crystal Ball
Around The World In A Day
Parade
Prince
The Work Vol.1-6

L

~Lindsey~

4. I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man (this song has such a VIBE to it. It makes me happy, and brings me WAY back to the 80s, cuz it sounds like such an 80s song :lol: ANd it takes me back,even when i can remember the part of the 80s that i lived through lol)

That is probably 1 of my all time favourite songs of his, it's always the 1 i put on if I'm in a good mood or I want to get into a good mood. There was a programme he did for MTV where he performed some songs called "Art of musicology"-found it on youtube, and he performed an acoustic version of that songs, have you seen it? you can still find it on dailymotion. Love that performance because he does acoustic version of "cream", "i could never take the place of your man", "sweet thing" and "sometimes it snows in april". Worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

Does anybody else besides me think that Planet Earth was a fantastic album? I thought it was much better than 3121, in terms of the music and artwork.
The cover artwork I thought was better on Planet Earth than musicology. On 3121 I thought it would have been better if they put his name on the cover. I thought Planet Earth was a great album. None of the songs sound the same and a good mix of fast paced and slow. Favourite tracks off Planet Earth are Guitar, 1 u wanna c, Chelsea Rodgers, Somewhere here on earth but when I play the cd I'm not tempted just to play those songs. I'll listen to the whole album.

Aeneiden

Planet Earth was great, and it's hard I think to compare it with 3121, cause they're quite different. But I love them both, PE is probably the better one.

So is any1 going to Dublin to see him??

L

~Lindsey~

Planet Earth was great, and it's hard I think to compare it with 3121, cause they're quite different. But I love them both, PE is probably the better one.

So is any1 going to Dublin to see him??

I was thinking of going then I saw the size of the stadium-its much bigger than the o2 and the price of the tickets-higher than the o2 then the price of going over to ireland and accommodation. It's good for people who haven't seen him and everything because I bet he would put on a good show but for me personally I'm going to leave it. If he would do the o2 again I'd be there :punk:

Last edited:

Aeneiden

I was thinking of going then I saw the size of the stadium-its much bigger than the o2 and the price of the tickets-higher than the o2 then the price of going over to ireland and accommodation. It's good for people who haven't seen him and everything because I bet he would put on a good show but for me personally I'm going to leave it. If he would do the o2 again I'd be there :punk:

Yes I wanna go to dublin but I can't afford it now, hopefully he'll play in more european cities this year

The Shadfather

Prince is my other favorite artist of all time.

Here's my top 5 albums from him that I like
1) 3121
2) 1999
3) Purple Rain
4) B-Sides
5) Musicology

B

bgz

so did any1 watch Jay leno?

I taped it and watched it (many times:smilerolleyes:). Funky little thang he is. He didn't have the twins on with him, it was 3 other female singers doing backup. And at the beginning of the number he did, there were several bars his band played that sounded mighty similar to one of Michael's (or J5) songs, just couldn't put my finger on exactly which one, though. The keyboardist played like a wild man, dang.

Worth watching for sure if you enjoy Prince.

Here's the link for his performance, towards bottom of screen click on Friday April 25th and then after the opening commercial (healthy choice),look at bottom right corner below video screen, click on his pic in the box. You don't have to watch the entire Tonight Show to view it.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_with_Jay_Leno/video/episodes.shtml

Last edited:

cpp

i'm liking prince very much. saw him with my lover at o2 a few times. It is much more exciting being a prince fan. so many treasures and ppl love that he is crazy. No pretending he is a "normal" guy

J5master

i'm liking prince very much. saw him with my lover at o2 a few times. It is much more exciting being a prince fan. so many treasures and ppl love that he is crazy. No pretending he is a "normal" guy

More exciting than who exactly? lol

DuranDuran

Proud Member

One of my favorite movies is Under The Cherry Moon. I know all of the dialog

Last edited:

The Moonwalker

I left behind my Mike fanship to join the purpleness a fair time ago. I'm still an MJ fan just he has nothing on Prince (I know that's gonna have peeved a few people off lol)

Prince is just, a musician in the true meaning of the word, he plays all the instruments, writes 99.99% of all his songs, sings and dances and he is just.... amazing! No other person in the world quite compares to Prince and its why i respect him and love him so much.

Top 10 Albums

1. Sign 'O' The Times
2. Purple Rain
3. Parade
4. Black Album
5. The Gold Experience
6. The Rainbow Children
7. One Nite Alone...Live
8. N.E.W.S.
9. Crystal Ball
10. The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale

Top 5 Songs

1. The Beautiful Ones
2. P Control
3. Kiss
4. Partyman
5. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World

Anyone else want to share their Prince love lol?

Sdeidjs

I love some of Princes tunes...

All 7 and we'll watch them fall~~~try and get in the way of love we'll smoke them all~~~

Smiles..!

Heal The World~~~

Last edited:
L

~Lindsey~

really enjoyed purple rain, hated under the cherry moon. Amazing in concert though.

GAV001

I'm a mahooooosive Prince fan! Prince and MJ are my joint favorite artists. I love how much variation there is in Prince's music. Some of my very favorite Prince songs are his unreleased demos that not many people have heard like alot of the demos from 'The Work'. If you ever get a chance to listen to some of the many unreleased tracks from 'The Work' I'd highly recommend it!

I love his music, but he's very inconsistent. When he misses, he really misses, but when he doesn't, the songs are 10x times better than anything any other artist has put out.

Superstition

Proud Member

I love his music, but he's very inconsistent. When he misses, he really misses, but when he doesn't, the songs are 10x times better than anything any other artist has put out.

I was just coming in here to post the same thing. I'm a huge Prince fan, I love a lot of his music, but the guy has released some real and utter tripe. Maybe his fans get some of the music he makes, but a lot of it just sounds like random noise.

Some of his more obscure work with the New Power Generation and then some of his stuff from the mid-late 90's was just garbage.

Enough about that though, he has had several really good albums and a crapload of great songs that I like. His last three albums were quite enjoyable (Planet Earth, 3121 and Musicology) and I love Emancipation, Diamonds and Pearls, Batman Soundtrack, Sign O The Times, 1999, Purple Rain and probably a couple of others that have slipped my mind. Then there's random hits he's released that have been quite good too.

Last edited:

JabroniDrive

I love Prince! and I love it in the Goonies where mouth has a Prince shirt, I'd love to find that; It's a Purple Rain one I think! :).

M

MJJC Moderator

This thread is not a thread to compare prince/mj and the posts will be moved. The main topic of discussion is about Prince and your top 10 fav Prince albums. If you have nothing to add to this thread other than the same old "MJ is Better than Prince" mantra, then best you skip it. First and last warning, folks!

Bee.

Prince is the man and I cannot believe that he just turned 50 yesterday! That is great, really.

I have "Purple Rain" and I really like that movie Grafitti Bridge. I think that movie was better than Purple Rain because I do not understand that movie. LOL. I was lost in some parts of the movie.

I am not a big fan of his later work after the NPG days. However, I can't wait for his new book that is coming out. I just wish he would be more nicer to his fans and let his stuff be on youtube. The youngins are missing out on his great work. The whole suing his fans thing really turned me off and he needs to let go whatever issue he has with his fans. That man is so talented but he let his ego get the best of his short yummy self.

Dublinproud

I'm going to see him next weekend.Second time seeing him live but this one is gonna be HUGE!

benscarr

Prince still looks really young, no where near 50. I still find it hard to believe Prince is actually 50yrs old, as I still think of Michael Jackson and Prince as being no older than 30 as it doesn't seem that long a ago when I first saw Michael Jackson and Prince in concert in 1988.

DuranDuran

Proud Member

Prince's best songs aren't really the singles (although they're good) but the album tracks, and some of his b-sides. What's also great about Prince is that in a lot of cases he'll change the arrangements of songs in concert, so it's different.

benscarr

Prince's best songs aren't really the singles (although they're good) but the album tracks, and some of his b-sides. What's also great about Prince is that in a lot of cases he'll change the arrangements of songs in concert, so it's different.

I agree, Prince's best songs aren't his singles. To really appreciate the music and genius of Prince you have to own all his albums, and get as many of his B-Side 7'' Single songs as possible.

One of the things I love about Prince in concert is that he often changes the arrangements of his songs on tours. Or creates medleys of various songs.

DuranDuran

Proud Member

In 2007, he gave legal notice to YouTube, eBay and The Pirate Bay to take down all of his copyrighted content. Then, last October, Prince's record company, Universal, demanded that YouTube remove this home video of a toddler dancing to a barely audible clip of "Lets Go Crazy." Even this past spring, Prince demanded that YouTube remove a fan-recorded video of his cover of Radiohead's "Creep" at Coachella.

Last edited:

DuranDuran

Proud Member

Whats wrong with Prince? He looks like a nice fella..
Mr. Nelson has always been a control junkie. When he 1st got signed, Warners wanted Maurice White from Earth, Wind, and Fire to produce his debut album. Prince refused, because he thought that Maurice was played out and didn't want to sound like EWF, and wanted to do it HIS way. Somehow his manager convinced the record company that Prince (who was unproven & unknown) could deliever the goods.

http://perezhilton.com/2008-06-28-dont-mess-with-his-purple-one

The diva is fighting back!

Fifty artists recently recorded Prince covers in honor of his 50th Birthday this past June 7th.

Unfortunately for them, everyone's getting sued!

But the funny part is, they're being sued by Prince himself.

Yup!

Prince's attorneys are demanding that all copies of the tribute album be destroyed immediately.

In Norway, Shockadelica has reached No. 8 on the album charts. It's also received several popular reviews by the Norwegian Press.

So, what's the problem?

By law, it's legal to sell cover songs of someone else's material. You're just required to pay about a 10 cent licensing fee per song.

Norway's C+C Records has distributed 5,000 of the box sets since the beginning of the month. They've also given digital versions.

However, they say no one has made any money from the project.

So they claim they didn't think they owed Prince any money.

Just maybe a free copy?

Christer Falck, owner of C+C Records, said he contacted Prince's people to try and send a set to Prince and that's where the legal issues began.

Though luckily for them, with all the attention the lawsuit will bring, we bet they'll be selling a lot more than 5,000 albums.

Now you'll be able to pay Prince….AND your lawyer!

mistermaxxx

Mr. Nelson has always been a control junkie. When he 1st got signed, Warners wanted Maurice White from Earth, Wind, and Fire to produce his debut album. Prince refused, because he thought that Maurice was played out and didn't want to sound like EWF, and wanted to do it HIS way. Somehow his manager convinced the record company that Prince (who was unproven & unknown) could deliever the goods.
also Verdine white the Bass player and Maurice's Brother was asked to Produce on "for you" but Prince told his manager that verdine only played Bass. in reality Verdine can play Bass and keys and also can write and Produce.

tommy vicardi who is listed as executive Producer had a bit more of a hand in the Production of for you. also Chris Moon co wrote another track on that album along with Patrice Rushen playing Keyboards and Programming and Her boyfriend at the time helped out on some key parts and andre cymone played bass on "I'm yours" and another track. but warners wanted to sell Prince as the latest wonderkind.

yeah prince always been about control and selective about acknowledging credits.

notsobeautifulperson

Proud Member

Prince's ego is very large, he has sued everyone from fans to famous people for using his image or music in any way, even if it promotes him. Sometimes I wonder how he could have such a huge fan base, then I turn on one of his albums and remember, "Oh ya, this is why, he is amazing." Needless to say I really enjoy Prince, Purple Rain is probably the most beautiful song ever written, but he has some issues.

mjlover4lyf

I heart Prince. :D But I heart Michael more. :D hahaha..
His best songs were in the 80's. Although I really liked his "Musicology" album. :D hehe.
"3121" was decent... there were a couple of songs which I enjoyed.

Superstition

Proud Member

I agree, Prince's best songs aren't his singles. To really appreciate the music and genius of Prince you have to own all his albums, and get as many of his B-Side 7'' Single songs as possible.

Very true, though this is often the case with many great artists.

Two of my favorite Prince tracks are "U Make My Sun Shine" with Angie Stone and "I Hate U" Remix..... really cool R&B jams.

dangerous_88

"Black Sweat" is such a hot song...

Propose me the album to listen to first, Prince fans,cuz I mostly know the singles.

DuranDuran

Proud Member

"Black Sweat" is such a hot song...

Propose me the album to listen to first, Prince fans,cuz I mostly know the singles.

Go with Sign O' The Times from 1987. His last album Planet Earth is good also. But if you're a casual fan, I'd just go with his mid 80s music. Depending on what you dig in subject matter, I wouldn't advise on getting something like Dirty Mind, lol. But since he became a Jehovah's Witness, his music has been pretty clean and he's renounced a lot of that earlier material.

dangerous_88

What I like about Prince is his variety of sounds. I enjoy songs like Gett Off and Black Sweat but also Purple Rain (one of my fav songs of all time) and When Doves Cry... So , I guess it's random!

I will make sure to check out one of his albums. Thanks!

DuranDuran

Proud Member

What I like about Prince is his variety of sounds. I enjoy songs like Gett Off and Black Sweat but also Purple Rain (one of my fav songs of all time) and When Doves Cry... So , I guess it's random!

I will make sure to check out one of his albums. Thanks!
Well if you like Gett Off, then his other stuff shouldn't bother you. Still start with Sign O The Times. The concert video of that is great also. His most popular album is Purple Rain, but it's kinda like Thriller. Not in the sound, but that it's overplayed. Diamonds And Pearls (which contains Gett Off) is another good one to start with. It's one of his most commercial sounding records. But some people are turned off by Tony M's raps, lol. I think he works on some songs and others not. Controversy & Dirty Mind are kinda new wavish, I like them but I heard them at the time. They might sound dated to a new listener. If you just want an overview, buy The Hits/The B-Sides.

Superstition

Proud Member

My favorite Prince songs:

I Hate U
I Hate U (Remix)
Jam Of The Year
Dear Mr. Man
Style
Diamonds & Pearls
Cream
Thunder
Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Housequake
Acknowledge Me
Musicology
Future Baby Mama
Fury
Incense & Candles
The Word
P Control
U Make My Sun Shine w/Angie Stone
Kiss
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Nothing Compares 2 U

T

TehNilz

This thread makes me want to listen to Prince again.

T

TehNilz

I think I like his Batman album best. Weird huh?

benscarr

Batdance is one of my favorite Prince songs. Partyman, Electric Chair and The Future are also great songs from the Batman album.

Bob George (my favorite song from the Black Album) is an awesome song which I listen to a lot.

Greatest Hits albums like the Ultimate Prince are not a good representation of Prince's music. A lot of his best songs were never released as singles, or were'nt big hits. Songs like Automatic, It, Private Joy and many more to mention don't appear of Hits albums. If you are curious about Prince's music by a 3 CD set called Prince The Hits/B Sides. As it has all the big his like 1999, Kiss and Let's Go Crazy, and also B Sides and rare songs Feel U Up, Erotic City etc and non hit singles like Dirty Mind.

Prince albums I recommend are

1. 1999
2. Dirty Mind
3. Sign "O" The Times
4. Controversy
5. Around The World In a Day
6. Parade

He's an amazing artist, but a prick at the same time.

I don't know if Prince is a prick, as I have no idea what he's like as a person. From interviews I have on DVD of him I really like him. But I don't like the way he's been treating fans, banning them from sharing unreleased songs on fan sites and removing all videos of his tv and concert appearances on sites like YouTube, Michael doesn't do that to his fans.

Last edited:

Superstition

Proud Member

Prince is different. He's been suing and the lines are blurry on exactly who he's suing... there are people saying "He's suing fansites for posting his picture", and while that seems to be the case, there's probably more at work than that. He does do a lot of things that other, more successful artists don't seem to be doing. I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

He does seem arrogant at times, like giving a performance of a lifetime and then just casually walking off stage with a simple handwave goodbye. But that's probably just his demeanor, I don't know. He's just a strange guy. Who knows.

I hate the way the entire RIAA works. People aren't sharing unreleased music and concert performances and stuff to short change the artist, they're doing it because they enjoy the artist and want more from them. It's free advertising, free publicity. I can tell you right now if it wasn't for the internet, Youtube, and fan sites like these, I'd be buying 3 or 4 cd's a year instead of spending several hundreds of dollars on music every year like I have been. It's opened me up to many artists I'd probably not even have heard of. The more I see of artists like Prince, MJ and Stevie (PMS.. always thought they should form a band, haha) the more I enjoy of them and purchase more and more of their music.

I'm off on a tangent, but I don't really think Prince is a jerk, it probably just comes across like that. He released an apology statement and song to his fans when the fans felt betrayed.

Prince is an artist you can't make out, he comes across very arrogant, but some say he is just very shy.

His concerts at the 02 were amazing, i wish he would just communicate with his fans more and stop being a jerk.

Aeneiden

So has any1 ordered the 21 nights book & cd?? I have, it seems to have been delayed somewhat maybe, the tracklist was posted on HQ, but I don't know if that is the real one.

DuranDuran

Proud Member

So has any1 ordered the 21 nights book & cd?? I have, it seems to have been delayed somewhat maybe, the tracklist was posted on HQ, but I don't know if that is the real one.
I've heard about the book a few months ago, but nothing else recently. I don't know anything about a CD.

benscarr

I ordered the 21 Nights book/cd from Amazon a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to seeing all the photos from his O2 concerts. I can't believe it was this time last year he was playing at the O2, as I'm still on a high from seeing him at the O2.

GAV001

Here is a beautiful version of The Question Of U which I adore! I think it's better than the original as it has such a rich sound to it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist..._perfect-answer-to-all-the-questions_creation

Plus three very rare videos one of which features Prince playing the great but rare Electric Intercourse, enjoy :)

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist...ideo/x5ni2e_you-ask-me-if-i-love-you_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist...deo/x5ni80_everybody-get-on-the-beat_creation

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xl1tx_severocomrep_p1/video/x5nz9v_inter-course_creation

bexy

trust me it is the real one i got given it a while ago and posted it on the org and then that was transfered over to housequake etc :yes:

i guess these pictures will be appreciated here :) :wub:

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

Page5.jpg

Page6.jpg

Page7.jpg

Page8.jpg

Page9.jpg

Page10.jpg

Page11.jpg

Page12.jpg

Soulsupastarr

Prince is one of my favorite artists. Here's my top 10 Prince albums (in no particular order)

1. 1999
2. Purple Rain
3. Lovesexy
4. For You
5. Prince
6. Dirty Mind
7. Controversy
8. Graffiti Bridge
9. Sign O The Times
10. New Power Soul

DuranDuran

Proud Member

Who is prince?
qqem4l.jpg

Prince Rogers Nelson from Minneapolis. He wears heeled boots that matches his outfits a lot. He had a keyboard player named Dr. Fink. He is also known as:

Jamie Starr
Joey Coco
Alexander Nevermind
His Royal Badness
Tora Tora
The Artist
Symbol
Camille
Paisley Park
Spooky Electric
Gemini
Christopher Tracy
The Kid
and whatever other name he thinks up today.

Top Bottom