Randy & The Gypsies

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Sure, but I think the problem with them is that they don't want to just make music for the fun of it. They wanted to have success of Janet's or MJ's magnitude, and when they realized they couldn't do it, they didn't care about making music anymore.
Do you think Randy has written and recorded any songs in the last 10 years? I doubt that.

A shame, really. Randy's album was really good, reading the story about how he completed the band and how it all worked out... damn.

I would love to talk to one of the brothers about their music and the reasons they stopped. Maybe this would open up their eyes just a little bit?

I got to talk to Will.I.Am personally, because I wrote a letter to him, analyzing his creative output. I did criticize some of his music and I think that's the reason why he wanted to talk about it.

-----------------

I hope Tito gets to release an album sometime in the future. I'm sure it will be good.
I'm surprised someone wrote about the album and the group. I figured it was pretty obscure.

Alec

Proud Member
I'm surprised someone wrote about the album and the group. I figured it was pretty obscure.

Yeah, I've personally never heard about it until 2008. Did you know about this LP when it came out?

I quite like that album, One More Chance is one of my favourite tracks on Victory so listening to a "solo" album by Randy is a real pleasure.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Yeah, I've personally never heard about it until 2008. Did you know about this LP when it came out?

I quite like that album, One More Chance is one of my favourite tracks on Victory so listening to a "solo" album by Randy is a real pleasure.
I remember the album from the time, and that Video Soul were playing the videos. I don't recall the singles getting much radio play, but She from the 2300 Jackson Street album did get a lot of play on the local R&B stations. I wonder why Randy released his album the same time the brothers album came out. I wonder if Mike's Dangerous album would have been different if 2300 Jackson Street (the song) hadn't have been made, because Teddy Riley produced and co-wrote the song with the 4 brothers who were the group at the time. Teddy also produced She.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Jet magazine (December 11, 1989)

tumblr_oh4kp75oir1rw606ko1_r12_540.jpg

DuranDuran

Proud Member
Re: Questlove Supreme (October 31, 2018)

For those not familiar with Questlove's show, his interviews are primarily about the music and the musician's career. It's not a celebrity interview like Oprah or Barbara Walters. There's no "what kind of tree would you be" type questions. :laughing:

mj_brainiac

Proud Member

For those not familiar with Questlove's show, his interviews are primarily about the music and the musician's career. It's not a celebrity interview like Oprah or Barbara Walters. There's no "what kind of tree would you be" type questions. :laughing:

It felt kinda "meh" listening to it, but it's great getting Randy's side of things

and why does Quest always have to ask about Prince LOL. Randy didn't even get the chance to tell the story about him and Michael hearing When Doves Cry for the first time because Quest and the other hosts kept talking lol

DuranDuran

Proud Member

It felt kinda "meh" listening to it, but it's great getting Randy's side of things

and why does Quest always have to ask about Prince LOL. Randy didn't even get the chance to tell the story about him and Michael hearing When Doves Cry for the first time because Quest and the other hosts kept talking lol

If you're interested, there's another recent interview with George Johnson from the Brothers Johnson and he mentions how Mike came to work on their song This Had To Be. George also says that he was supposed to play on the Off The Wall album, but his brother Louis sabotaged that. Just click on the same link above and there's an episodes button. There's also an older interview with Babyface and he also talks about working with Mike and Jermaine. Babyface's interview is long though and in 2 parts.

wednesday

Proud Member

My kind of jam... had no idea Randy wrote that kind of music.

DuranDuran

Proud Member

and why does Quest always have to ask about Prince LOL.
He did a interview with Patrice Rushen a couple of weeks ago. Questlove asked her about Prince and it went around 15 minutes. :D

Fuzball

Proud Member
I never saw this before

[video=youtube;dv8pgc_kgxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv8pgc_kgxQ[/video]