Regarding Recording Session Calenders

MikeFann

Proud Member
Now, I don't know if this means the track sheets or not but in Joseph Vogel's 2019 edition of "Man and the Music", there are mentions of session calendars (especially for BAD). These were apparently referred to when speaking of recording session dates, and I now have to wonder if he had access to those session calendars and from where? I would be stoked to go through the memos and other materials created during the BAD sessions.

Joe was fortunate enough to meet with MJ’s collaborators and not only hear unreleased material, but get detailed breakdowns and view session calendars. Damien Shields is much the same. There aren’t any publicly available session calendars that I’m aware of, but a few studio track sheets have popped up over the years. Perhaps someone can post photos; I’m unable to at the moment.

Keep in mind that the track sheets we know of consist of:

Thriller (intro session)
Bad
The Way You Make Me Feel
Speed Demon
Liberian Girl
Just Good Friends
Another Part Of Me
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Dirty Diana
Smooth Criminal (at least two versions are out there)
Leave Me Alone (the main session and the single session)
Dangerous (the Bottrell version)
A Place With No Name (from the master and slave tapes)

Out of all those, a few dates (I Just Can't Stop Loving You's instrumental elements were recorded in December 1986; the original version of Dangerous was overdubbed with new vocal elements on January 21st, 1991; APWNN was recorded between August-October 1998) can clearly be seen amongst the tape info. It's the closest we've ever got to any specific recording dates for certain songs.

Last edited:
I'd love to know more of the recording dates, it feels like a big mystery when it comes to MJ's career. I'm jealous of Beatles fans for that

Some KOP editions list the intial recording dates of songs.

From memory, TDCAU & Earth Song should be 06/1989.

I can indeed confirm (through an undisclosed source) that the dates listed in Man In The Music are accurate, and that they are pulled from the Bad session calendars.

Back