She Got It Appreciation Thread

Nite Line

Proud Member
Firstly apologies if a similar thread about this song already exists.

I discovered this song a while back. I didn't really like it that much at first but now I'm in love with it. I can't stop listening it. It has such a sick beat. I love the funkiness of it. And I love MJ's vocals on it. I really wish it was released either on Dangerous or either as a B-side on one of the singles. It's a brilliant song. I really hope to see it released on the next posthumous album. It deserves more recognition.

Last edited:
I love this track! Oh Mann I wish MJ had done a full album with just funky tracks like, BOTDF, She got it, superfly sister, Jam, Ghosts. Now thinking about it he really was going back to his roots when making dangerous. They album could have turned out like a James a Brown album! Lol. It's funny cause I'm the song you hear MJ making a dubbing mistake cause he says the wrong words on one of the dubs "if the girl don't want it"

Last edited:
"Too much for me now!!!" Those vocals and that funk :dropdead: Love the rawness of the demo, it adds to it's charm

Reminds me of the songs on Bruno Mars' new album. :) All straight funk.

When I listened to She Got It, I was picturing Janet Jackson dancing on American Bandstand to the album she wrote with Jimmy Jam and Lewis-picturing the Time, picturing Prince.

Last edited:
Yeah, love this one.

And people say he abandoned funk music after OTW. She Got It, Superfly Sister, Jam, BOTD all beg to differ.

That synth riff where he sings "too much for me" is a great funk moment, very reminiscent of someone whose name I'm afraid to mention around these parts, but you know who I mean.

I'll say it for you, Prince! This song was clearly inspired by prince and the minneapolis sound. Imagine a duet between them on this type of song.. It would have been too much for me (bad pun inteended)

"I won't ****in' but she tries to be mean" GODDAMN MICHAEL

Yassss, I love She Got It!!!!
This is a great thread!
It's so damn funky I gotta open a window when I listen to it, LOL.

I'll say it for you, Prince! This song was clearly inspired by prince and the minneapolis sound. Imagine a duet between them on this type of song.. It would have been too much for me (bad pun inteended)

This isn't even about you in particular, but I find it cringeworthy when people say MJ's funk was inspired by Prince when Michael himself was a known James Brown STAN, heavily inspired by James Brown, and James Brown was funky as all get out.
I mean, yeah, if you like Prince that's okay, but to me it's a reach to say MJ's funk was inspired by Prince when Michael was a known James Brown stan.

Last edited:
This isn't even about you in particular, but I find it cringeworthy when people say MJ's funk was inspired by Prince when Michael himself was a known James Brown STAN, heavily inspired by James Brown, and James Brown was funky as all get out.
I mean, yeah, if you like Prince that's okay, but to me it's a reach to say MJ's funk was inspired by Prince when Michael was a known James Brown stan.
I didn't mean it like that, I meant that Bryan Loren who produced this song was inspired by Prince and the minneapolis sound. I agree that MJ was heavily inspired by james brown's funk and that was evident in a lot of his song, WBSS, Jam, BOTDF, CLHGA, but She Got It is a different kind of funk sound, with those synths and the rimshots and drums and the rock-esque vibe. Prince helped pioneer that particular sound and all the acts from Minneapolis or that have been affiliated with prince somehow borrowed elements from that sound. Anyone saying that MJ's funk was inspired by prince is just being daft.

It's funky.

No doubt it could be released on a future new album like Xscape. - Vocally it's fine. The sound could be contemporized without loosing the funk and original feel.

I find it cringeworthy when people say MJ's funk was inspired by Prince when Michael himself was a known James Brown STAN, heavily inspired by James Brown, and James Brown was funky as all get out.
SGI, especially its guitar is reminiscent to Prince' Hi Fashion

I didn't mean it like that, I meant that Bryan Loren who produced this song was inspired by Prince and the minneapolis sound. I agree that MJ was heavily inspired by james brown's funk and that was evident in a lot of his song, WBSS, Jam, BOTDF, CLHGA, but She Got It is a different kind of funk sound, with those synths and the rimshots and drums and the rock-esque vibe. Prince helped pioneer that particular sound and all the acts from Minneapolis or that have been affiliated with prince somehow borrowed elements from that sound. Anyone saying that MJ's funk was inspired by prince is just being daft.
Yes!

It's so good! It could've been released on BOTDF, put just after Superfly Sister.
'She Got It' does not fit thematically to all the other (dark) new songs of the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album.

Cohesion is always very important when it comes to an album.

'She Got It' does not fit thematically to all the other (dark) new songs of the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album.

Cohesion is always very important when it comes to an album.
I don't know. It could've been a 'prequel' to BOTDF. I wouldn't say albums should always be lyrically cohesive, although I do love concept albums. Dangerous is not cohesive at all (I'm not talking about the consistency of new jack swing broken with ballads, pop-rock and gospel - it is also lyrically juxtaposed). Gone Too Soon and then the title track. Heal the World and In The Closet on the same album as well. And I personally still really like Dangerous. That's just my opinion, though.

I don't know. It could've been a 'prequel' to BOTDF. I wouldn't say albums should always be lyrically cohesive, although I do love concept albums. Dangerous is not cohesive at all (I'm not talking about the consistency of new jack swing broken with ballads, pop-rock and gospel - it is also lyrically juxtaposed). Gone Too Soon and then the title track. Heal the World and In The Closet on the same album as well. And I personally still really like Dangerous. That's just my opinion, though.
To be more specific, I am referring to concept albums which always have to be cohesive, not only thematically but also musically.

Like, the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album, or the posthumous 'Scream' compilation album, and so on.

For example, 'In The Back' musically would not have fitted the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album either (because it is not an up-tempo and danceable song, but it is a slow song), which seems to explain why the song was eventually removed from the final track list of that album.

To be more specific, I am referring to concept albums which always have to be cohesive, not only thematically but also musically.

Like, the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album, or the posthumous 'Scream' compilation album, and so on.

For example, 'In The Back' musically would not have fitted the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album either (because it is not an up-tempo and danceable song, but it is a slow song), which seems to explain why the song was eventually removed from the final track list of that album.
It didn't make into the album because it was too unfinished along with Seven Digits. It had nothing to do with it not being an upbeat song.

Never liked "She got it" all these years. But started enjoying it recently. But for me it needs a little additional production like this "Work that body" mix !

Last edited:
It just came up into my head. I don't remember what I was thinking but I'm listening to it and enjoying it. It's, raw. Pretty fun though. If you could add lots to the production it'd sound good on radio today.

Never liked "She got it" all these years. But started enjoying it recently. But for me it needs a little additional production like this "Work that body" mix !
Haha wow I was suggesting a mix like this in a former thread, didn't know this existed! I really believe 'Work That Body' (in a even better mix) could be a hit, it's very catchy

Back