Should Michael Do A One Hour TV Special?

pamarella

Proud Member
What do you think of this? Should Michael do a 1 hour TV Special when he comes out with new music?
I think it would be a great way for him to make a MAJOR comeback. He could showcase his talent for all the world to see. Of course there would be first time viewers who would see Michael perform and they would see how and why he is a music icon. And you know those ratings would be through the roof.

I think it's criminal that he hasn't done some type of Unplugged/Acoustic set. It's the one piece missing from his gigantic puzzle.

I think it's criminal that he hasn't done some type of Unplugged/Acoustic set. It's the one piece missing from his gigantic puzzle.
:agree: You know the music historians said that when Elvis did his comback in 1968, that is what solidfied his career. It was like after that he could do no wrong. But Michael is way talented and that would be major. I hope he has something like this up his sleeves...

No doubt he should do it. But it MUST BE LIVE vocals, though the show could be pre-recorded.

^^ TOTALLY AGREE
Make it a very intimate acoustic set, like his One Night Only performance he was going to do in 1995, but unplugged, of course.

soooooooo agree. why something as obvious as this has never happened is beyond me.

I could just imagine this - a live MJ Special from Las Vegas or LA - the ratings would go THROUGH THE ROOF!!

He should do a half interview/half concert on TV.

Get someone well known to do the interview (e.g. Oprah, Ellen). Divide the show into four 10 min interview segments. In between each segment Michael performs and/or showcases a new music video. Special guests that Michael knows well (e.g. Steve Harvey, Chris Tucker) drop by to talk a little about Michael in the interview segments. A format like this would be nice....

0 min - 5 min: Michael opens the show with a performance of one of his classics.
5 min - 15 min: Michael sits down for the first segment of the interview (Topic: What he's been doing in these past few years).
15 min - 20 min: A video of Michael working in the studio on the new album.
20 min - 30 min: Some people who worked on the new album sit down with Michael to talk about making the album with him.
35 min - 40 min: Michael performs one of his new songs live. But not the debut single. Save that for the end of the show.
40 min - 50 min: Steve Harvey and/or Chris Tucker join Michael for the interview. This will perhaps show Michael's funny side which people besides his fans rarely see.
50 min - 55 min: Michael debuts his new single.
55 min - 60 min: Wrap-up interview. Michael talks about his plans for the immediate future (e.g. touring) and plugs the album (details when it will be released on iTunes and in stores). End of show.

Sounds like an awesome TV special. Great way to promote the new album. Kill two birds with one stone. Do his much anticipated first American TV interview in years, debut his much anticipated first new music in years.

Get someone well known to do the interview (e.g. Oprah, Ellen). Divide the show into four 10 min interview segments. In between each segment Michael performs and/or showcases a new music video. Special guests that Michael knows well (e.g. Steve Harvey, Chris Tucker) drop by to talk a little about Michael in the interview segments. A format like this would be nice....

0 min - 5 min: Michael opens the show with a performance of one of his classics.
5 min - 15 min: Michael sits down for the first segment of the interview (Topic: What he's been doing in these past few years).
20 min - 30 min: Some people who worked on the new album sit down with Michael to talk about making the album with him.
35 min - 40 min: Michael performs one of his new songs live. But not the debut single. Save that for the end of the show.
40 min - 50 min: Steve Harvey and/or Chris Tucker join Michael for the interview. This will perhaps show Michael's funny side which people besides his fans rarely see.
55 min - 60 min: Wrap-up interview. Michael talks about his plans for the immediate future (e.g. touring) and plugs the album (details when it will be released on iTunes and in stores). End of show.

Sounds like an awesome TV special. Great way to promote the new album. Kill two birds with one stone. Do his much anticipated first American TV interview in years, debut his much anticipated first new music in years.

But don't you think we've seen all that before? I'm talking about a 1 hour special nothing but MIchael Jackson and only Michael Jackson and with him just performing, nothing else? I mean if he did have a interview section, my concern is that the focus would be more on what he said instead of the performance itself... If he did do something like what you suggested, I would like to see the younger generation of Jackson have a part of the special. Doing the interviews.

Last edited:
But don't you think we've seen all that before? I'm talking about a 1 hour special nothing but MIchael Jackson and only Michael Jackson and with him just performing, nothing else? I mean if he did have a interview section, my concern is that the focus would be more on what he said instead of the performance itself... If he did do something like what you suggested, I would like to see the younger generation of Jackson have a part of the special. Doing the interviews.

We've seen televised concerts before as well. I am really interesting to hear him speak. I want an interview. I think most everyone also wants him to do an interview. If he can come off sane and normal and even show a sense of humour I think his popularity could soar. I think a television special where he performs and does short interview segments (not relating to his personal life at all, solely focused on his music) would be the best way to go.

We've seen televised concerts before as well. I am really interesting to hear him speak. I want an interview. I think most everyone also wants him to do an interview. If he can come off sane and normal and even show a sense of humour I think his popularity could soar. I think a television special where he performs and does short interview segments (not relating to his personal life at all, solely focused on his music) would be the best way to go.
I hear what you saying and you're right if he can do an interview and comes off sane and normal that would be great. I love Michael to death, but I just don't like it when he does interviews like the one with that Bashir guy. It seems to me that when he does them, he leaves a lot of open ended questions. To me nothing really gets anserwed. And also if someone else did the interview I hope it would be live, because if it's filmed or taped and if he does say something or did something that was controversial, I can see it now the person who did the interview would be everywhere doing their on interviews with the media about how Michael was this and how Michael was that and it would go on and on. That's how I see it.

Last edited:
Hopefully we will see alot of specials when the new album comes out!

If Michael is to do any of the above, be sure that he will be seeking a great deal of control over the finished product!

The past is there to be learned from.

Well therein lies the problem, see. Michael always has come across as sane and normal, but people don't listen to him, they only see the image the media has portrayed. If you ever listen to him, when he was interviewed by Oprah, by Diane Sawyer, by Barbera Walters, by Geraldo Rivera, by whoever, you can see how intelligent and actually down to earth he is. But people don't care because they don't want to see Michael, they want to see what they want him to be. I would love to see Michael in an interview because I find him endlessly facsinating and a beautiful person. I love to hear him talk as much as I do seeing him perform. But after what's happened to him, and after the way the media has SO manipulated him and caused him so much grief, I very highly doubt Michael is thinking of doing a TV sit down interview any time soon, if ever again. People don't hear him when he talks.

I think if Michael chooses the right person to interview him, plus if it's live it would be fantastic. Michael does great in interviews. Even the Bashir interview was good, the only thing that wasn't was Bashir!!

I could just imagine this - a live MJ Special from Las Vegas or LA - the ratings would go THROUGH THE ROOF!!

Oh how I TOTALLY AGREE! In fact, I was thinking on the lines of something like this:

THE PROMOTION/HEADLINE --- MICHAEL JACKSON: AN INTIMATE ALIVE AROUND THE WORLD TOUR!!! (Broadcasted)

THE SETTING: Strategic venues holding small capacities in selected cities of various countries/states. (This will allow fans within these selected areas to have opportunity to be apart of the live audience, upclose and personal as much as possible, while fans at home and others get the benefit of seeing him peform from the comfort of their home as it is being broadcasted --- LIVE!!!) In other words, whatever small venue he chooses and regardless of the country/state, EVERYONE will have opportunity to see and hear the Greatest Entertainer of All Time!

Of course, there can be contests such as (1) someone in each state/country winning a pair of tickets to be upclose when he performs, (2) another contest for someone to win to spend a day with him and his children while he is in that state/country; any day HE chooses since he would ONLY be performing one show for an hour. Also, allowing the winner to decide what they would like to do for that day they spend with him along with some MAJOR guidelines because "planning a skinny dipping inside pool party" JUST WON'T BE APPROPRIATE or expressing to him how you will gladly babysit his kids so he could get some rest AND THEN, after you get his kids to take a nap you somehow find yourself in the bed next to him --- DEFINITELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

So the thought of him doing something intimate and live, imho, would be AWESOME!!!!

MJ chooses a small venue in New York - Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home
MJ chooses a small venune in London- Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home
MJ chooses a small venue in Ireland- Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home
MJ chooses a small venue in Germany- Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home

Well, I believe you are getting the point of what I am stating and to add that at each 1 hour special he performs different songs of his choice in that country/state and no matter where he peforms the world can simultaneously watch it due to HBO or some other channel broadcasting the event LIVE with excellent acoustic sound. Therefore, if you live in London not only will you have chance to win tickets for the upclose performance but, after he leaves your country or state you will see and hear him peform in another such as Ireland as well as continuously until his tour ends.

Just to summarize when he visits each state/country he performs 1 night and it is broadcasted live around the world, he spends 1 day with a fan while he is in that state/country, he selects 1 day to interact with his fans; meet and greet, signing autographs and taking photos. Then, he gets rest and time for himself and children while in that country/state prior to traveling to the next state/country on his tour where he will repeat the process. And, with targeting various small venues throughout the world he can perform every other week, every 2 weeks, once a month or every 2 months, whatever, according to how he feels to avoid a rigid schedule.

I don't know just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Nice plan, but it lacks of music and performances.
I would skip the 10 minutes with the producers and put a dance performance instead, or at least an other song from the new album.

It is no secret that I have felt that Mr.Jackson should do a invitation only "Unplugged Up Close & Personal" gig...

It would be very benificial for him to do so...New York City or better yet the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame..!

Its unfortunate that the very impressive " Rock In Roll Hall of Fame" is underated and does not get the recognition that Cleveland, Ohio truly deserves...

:punk:www.rockhall.com

Last edited:
yea, I can totally see that happening. We don't know, he might already be planning something like that.

Oh how I TOTALLY AGREE! In fact, I was thinking on the lines of something like this:

THE PROMOTION/HEADLINE --- MICHAEL JACKSON: AN INTIMATE ALIVE AROUND THE WORLD TOUR!!! (Broadcasted)

THE SETTING: Strategic venues holding small capacities in selected cities of various countries/states. (This will allow fans within these selected areas to have opportunity to be apart of the live audience, upclose and personal as much as possible, while fans at home and others get the benefit of seeing him peform from the comfort of their home as it is being broadcasted --- LIVE!!!) In other words, whatever small venue he chooses and regardless of the country/state, EVERYONE will have opportunity to see and hear the Greatest Entertainer of All Time!

Of course, there can be contests such as (1) someone in each state/country winning a pair of tickets to be upclose when he performs, (2) another contest for someone to win to spend a day with him and his children while he is in that state/country; any day HE chooses since he would ONLY be performing one show for an hour. Also, allowing the winner to decide what they would like to do for that day they spend with him along with some MAJOR guidelines because "planning a skinny dipping inside pool party" JUST WON'T BE APPROPRIATE or expressing to him how you will gladly babysit his kids so he could get some rest AND THEN, after you get his kids to take a nap you somehow find yourself in the bed next to him --- DEFINITELY UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

So the thought of him doing something intimate and live, imho, would be AWESOME!!!!

MJ chooses a small venue in New York - Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home
MJ chooses a small venune in London- Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home
MJ chooses a small venue in Ireland- Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home
MJ chooses a small venue in Germany- Privileged Fans and others in audience; viewers watching at home

Well, I believe you are getting the point of what I am stating and to add that at each 1 hour special he performs different songs of his choice in that country/state and no matter where he peforms the world can simultaneously watch it due to HBO or some other channel broadcasting the event LIVE with excellent acoustic sound. Therefore, if you live in London not only will you have chance to win tickets for the upclose performance but, after he leaves your country or state you will see and hear him peform in another such as Ireland as well as continuously until his tour ends.

Just to summarize when he visits each state/country he performs 1 night and it is broadcasted live around the world, he spends 1 day with a fan while he is in that state/country, he selects 1 day to interact with his fans; meet and greet, signing autographs and taking photos. Then, he gets rest and time for himself and children while in that country/state prior to traveling to the next state/country on his tour where he will repeat the process. And, with targeting various small venues throughout the world he can perform every other week, every 2 weeks, once a month or every 2 months, whatever, according to how he feels to avoid a rigid schedule.

I don't know just my thoughts.

I like your thoughts – I haven’t heard of anything like this before.

I also have another spin on this.

As an alternative to your idea, or if the TV networks aren’t on board to show this in their country, then Mike could show the concert as part of a live web broadcast through his own website, or as a partner with AOL or itunes or somebody. He would then be justified in charging a nominal fee for people to have access to watch the show live through his website. I don’t think this has been done before, or has it?

I don’t think the shows should be free because it might have a negative impact on physical ticket sales, but if the fee is small (cheaper than the cost of the cheapest ticket) then I think this could boost tour revenue by boosting concert ‘attendance’. For example, if the show is popular, Mike could be the first artist in the world to have 1million people watching his concert live. Many people who can’t travel or perhaps don’t want to travel to the nearest concert venue could then tune in and enjoy the show. The quality of live streaming on the internet is pretty good these days for most people, so although it wouldn’t be as good as watching live on TV or actually being there, it would still be very entertaining. If there was an issue with potentially allowing anybody across the globe to tune in at once, the shows could be restricted to specific parts depending on the show location. For example, a US show might only be available to those in the US. UK shows might only be available to those in the UK etc. This would still allow a much larger audience for each show. Mike would only need to do one show per country then, giving him more chance to rest between shows and relax.

I know if these concerts were genuinely live rather than mimed, then I would certainly buy an eticket to several shows if possible and watch them online. I would still go to the show nearest to me too, as I’m sure most of you here would.

The internet is reaching new audiences and is developing all the time. The music industry needs to embrace the digital age even more than it is at the moment and I think that something like this is inevitable, so perhaps Mike should do it first, like the innovator that he is. He hates to tour and with ideas like this, he doesn’t have to do so many dates as he used to anymore.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back