So Quincy Jones isn't just a Michael Jackson hater

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
So,apparently,Quincy Jones has a history of talking sh#t about great musicians.
Even before he called Mike a thief and crap like that,he did this:
So,according to Quincy, Michael was a thief.
According to Quincy,Michael didn't have a skin disease.
But also according to Jones,Prince was an ,,averrage/ok,, piano player.
Quincy ain't sh#t. Is his job to hate on Michael or Prince or something?
Quincy should be proud that the masses heard his name 'cause of Mike's albums.I'm not saying Quincy isn't a great producer,but ,last time I checked,Quincy didn't like Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal.
And last time I checked,Michael wrote and composed ,,Who is it ,, /,,Stranger in Moscow/,,Morphine,, without him. So Michael could produce great songs,even without Jones...
I hate that Quincy has such a big ego. This might not be relevant,but in my country(a South European one) ,Mike and Prince are legendary,while literally nobody knows who Quincy Jones is (unless they are talking about Michael's career,mostly on the news). I myself heard of Quincy while reading Mike's biography .
What do you think about Jones?Does he have the right to have such an ego?Is he overrated when it comes to his input on Mike's hits?Is he genius,but one who happens to have such a sh#tty personality?

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
So,apparently,Quincy Jones has a history of talking sh#t about great musicians.
So,according to Quincy, Michael was a thief.
According to Quincy,Michael didn't have a skin disease.
But also according to Jones,Prince was an ,,averrage/ok,, piano player.
Quincy ain't sh#t. Is his job to hate on Michael or Prince or something?
Quincy should be proud that the masses heard his name 'cause of Mike's albums.
I hate that Quincy has such a big ego. This might not be relevant,but in my country(a South European one) ,Mike and Prince are legendary,while literally nobody knows who Quincy Jones is (unless they are talking about Michael's career,mostly on the news). I myself heard of Quincy while reading Mike's biography .
What do you think about Jones?Does he have the right to have such an ego?Is he overrated when it comes to his input on Mike's hits?Is he genius,but one who happens to have such a sh#tty personality?
"Quincy ain't sh#t"

Have to disagree with you there. I agree that QJ is a bitter old fool and I don't understand why he pulls this crap. Q already had a stellar career before he worked with Michael. His reputation is solid. I don't know what he's playing at. But Q definitely IS the sh#t.

Just to be clear, I don't really care one way or another about Q. I'm not a fan. But you're being a bit harsh on the guy. By the time he was 15 he was, apparently, in the backing band that worked with Billie Holliday. I'm too tired to go and check that but I can easily believe it. He worked with Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughn. He worked with Count Basie, fgs. He did all of Leslie Gore's big hits in the 1960's. He persuaded Miles Davis to come out of retirement. The live album they worked on was the last one before Miles Davis died. He composed loads of film scores. Just a few are:

In the Heat of the Night - Sidney Poitier, Rod Steiger
The Italian Job = Michael Caine
Cactus Flower - Ingrid Bergman, Goldie Hawn
The Hot Rock - Robert Redford
The Color Purple

These were all massive hits. Huge. I'm sure he did loads more, these are just the ones I'm aware of.

Working with Michael gave him loads more exposure and he became famous in a way he never would have if he hadn't done those albums. But he was famous within showbiz. I knew about him because the black papers and black music magazines would write about him but also the mainstream music papers cos a couple of them would cover lots of different genres.

I don't know much about the music awards he's won but I do know that, for some of them, he was the first African American to get a particular award. Too tired to go and look for details but I remember reading this stuff back in the day.

I guess his comments about Prince have to be seen in the context of, as I say, he worked with Count Basie and Miles Davis. That gives him a different perspective. Jazz is not my thing but I have no problem with an assessment of Prince as an average piano player. I'm sure, compared to the people Q worked with, that's all he was. Prince was a good piano player but, on *that* instrument, he's not gonna go down in music history as one of the greats. Maybe for other things but not that.

The crap he pulls re Michael is unacceptable, imo. He needs to shut up. He's in his late 80's now but that's hardly an excuse. He's entitled to his views re someone's musical ability or relevance. But this Michael stuff seems way more personal. He really seems to resent Michael and it's ridiculous and embarrassing.

Does Q have the right to a big ego? Possibly. He has worked with the best of the best.

Is his input to Michael's albums overrated? I don't know enough about music and the tech side to be able to say. I think I'd want to turn it around and say, I think Michael's genius is often underrated on those albums and that does annoy the hell out of me. Plus I think Michael's post-Q albums are fabulous. The idea that Michael's creative peak was the work he did with Q and after that it was all downhill is nonsense. It's also insulting.

Is Q a genius? Well, he's gotta have something. The people he's worked with, he wouldn't get the job if he didn't have something amazing to bring to the table. But even if he is a genius that should not detract from the genius of the artists he's worked with. I bet people don't say that Ella Fitzgerald was made by Q and if it wasn't for him yadda yadda. But they will say it or imply it about Michael. That's just every kind of wrong.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Quincy Jones’ Thriller is the best selling album of all time though.

Sorry I’m just riling you up :p

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
Quincy Jones’ Thriller is the best selling album of all time though.

Sorry I’m just riling you up :p
Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Oh, all right, it did make me laugh. But even when it's just a joke I still have to go, 'no, it's Michael's album'. :D

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Oh, all right, it did make me laugh. But even when it's just a joke I still have to go, 'no, it's Michael's album'. :D

All I know is Quincy got a HUGE cv and he worked through different eras in different genres and he surely is one of the greats but he should cut Michael some slack, the bastard 😛

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
All I know is Quincy got a HUGE cv and he worked through different eras in different genres and he surely is one of the greats but he should cut Michael some slack, the bastard 😛
Exactly so. What is his problem, fgs? OK, when he dies the obituaries will all lead with the Michael Jackson part of his career and only then get onto the rest of it. But, like I said, his career, his reputation is solid. It's the bomb. So what's his beef? I wish he'd just pipe down. I guess it's like NiteLine said, he's a bitter old fool. 😐

elusive moonwalker

Proud Member
Qj is abit like john landis. They became pis!@#$ off because their own successful work pre MJ became taken over by the work they did with mj. And they became more know for what they did with him than their own work.

somewhereinthedark

Proud Member
During an interview with Donny Simpson on BET, Jones was asked about working with all of the Jazz greats and others. Donny asked him who was the best that he had worked with. Jones said without hesitation “Michael Jackson”. I have this interview recorded on VHS tape. I recorded EVERYTHING concerning Michael back in the day. There was no You Tube or Internet; Therefore, the only way to save something was to record it. This is the reason that I don’t give any credence to anything Quincy says now. He has become a jealous, vindictive, senile bastard. I always respected and liked Quincy in the past. I can’t stand Quincy now. He is a backstabbing coward who waited to say these things about a man who was his friend and who is no longer here to defend himself.

Btw, not only did Quincy talk bad about Michael, he said some not too good things about Prince( as someone pointed out) and the Beatles. He said he never thought the Beatles were that talented or a good band.

Hess

Proud Member
No one can ever underestimate Q's impact and his genius work. He was an incredible producer and he worked with som many of the biggest artist in the world and made wonderful music.

did he turn bitter and strange in his old days - sure... but that does not change he is a musical legend. Many 80 year-olds turn a little weird.

And I think it's correct Q is frustrated all his other work is totally overshadowed by the 3 albums he did with MJ.

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
No one can ever underestimate Q's impact and his genius work. He was an incredible producer and he worked with som many of the biggest artist in the world and made wonderful music.

did he turn bitter and strange in his old days - sure... but that does not change he is a musical legend. Many 80 year-olds turn a little weird.

And I think it's correct Q is frustrated all his other work is totally overshadowed by the 3 albums he did with MJ.
Yes to all of this. I wish he would drop the snarky comments about Michael. At the very least it's undignified and beneath an artist of his standing. But, even though I think he's behaving like a bitter old fool, it has nothing to do with his stellar career.

I suppose I would just say that the comments he makes about Michael are hard to take because they do seem quite personal (as opposed to assessing Prince as merely an OK piano player which I have no problem with) and also they are part of an ongoing culture of criticism of Michael. Sometimes I just think, 'enough already!'

fraroc04

Proud Member
This is pretty upsetting....all Quincy is doing is destroying his own legacy and making himself look like an old, bitter, washed up hack.