Some Of My Original Songs (And Covers)

MikeFann

Proud Member
(Note: If this is not the right thread for this post, please let me know. Thank you)

I am really into music. Not only do I enjoy listening to it but I also enjoy making it as well. Not to mention, letting other people listen to it as well ;) :

http://soundcloud.com/80-twist

So if you want to take a listen, just go ahead! Just to let you all know, they are not really finished. As for now, they're all works in progress. I still would like to work them. But, I hope you enjoy these demos all the same. Please let me know what you think. :)

This is really nice! I enjoyed the music and although some demos are really long like 'Find it' (9.45 minutes long), you kept me interested the whole time. 'Epic Fantastic' would fit well in a historic strategy or adventure game. At 0.48 and 1.15 it gets really exciting, love that. The medieval/pirate theme in 'Stroll at dusk' is really melodic and the feel could be described as Gwen Stefani's 'Rich girls' meets Michael Jacksons 'Little Susie'. The chords at 0.14 till 0.18 of 'Clouds' reminds me of the 1985 song 'Cloudbusting' by Kate Bush, but 'Clouds' has its own flavour with the nice melody coming after. 'Find it' is a dance track which gives me the same vibe as some great Michael Jackson remixes from the early 90's, like the Megamix 1995 on History Volume II, like at 3.26. In 'Sity mix' I hear a Billie Jean influenced melody, In The Closet-like chords (3.30), with Superfly Sister claps and some Bad-like synth (noticable at the end). Although I make the comparisons, Sity Mix is a great track on its own. 'Swing around' has a great part at 1.54 and the track is overall really 80s. 'Back and forth' gets funky at 1.30, with the louder bass, and this demo would fit The Pet shop boys. I love The PSB. The part after 3.45 is truely nice.

With my comparisons I tried to describe the awesome vibe your tracks given me, so I am not saying your tracks are a copy of the work mentioned above, so don't worry about that. 'Find it' and 'Back and forth' are my favorites.

Urvino

I'm glad you enjoyed listening to the music. I really enjoyed making those songs. :) As for your comparisons, they're rather interesting! It's funny because I wasn't really planning on "Stroll At Dusk" having any pirate-ty vibes but it does have that feel, doesn't it? Especially the way the flute is playing. As for the length of some of the songs, I tend to make my demos long. In the case of "Find It", it was the extended breakdown sections.

All and all, I'm glad you enjoyed listening to my music. Please check there every now and again for any new songs that I may post up. Perhaps, you might actually find a song that pays homage to Michael's work. ;)

MikeFann, the flute indeed makes 'Stroll At Dusk' a bit pirate-ty ;) but it's nice. I definitely will check your work every now and then :) It amazes me how much talent there's on this board in any shape or form, yours is music ;)

Urvino

You are right, Urvino. There is a lot of talent on this board, that's for sure. I'm glad this can be an outlet to express it.

By the way, I've added a couple more songs if you want to check them out. You may or may not like them. ;)

Can you feel me?? I can feel you! :D Wonderful covers! For some reason I like the fact you changed the titels of the original songs. It adds the possibility to look at the originals in a different way, in your way. 'Can you feel me' is nicely put together. The subtile placement of a pause at 2.25 and instruments like the claps at 1.56 and the sax at 2.59 give nice variety to the song. The word 'Catch' suits the mood of Bad, COOL. Catch ends with the (bass?)gitar which I love. How long does it take you to make a song and to find the right instruments in FL studio? I hear so much effort in your covers and originals. I'll keep checking you!

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the covers. As for how long it takes make to put these songs together, on a single day it takes a few hours or so. Otherwise, it could take quite a while before the song is close to finished or finished completely. I started working on Catch sometime in the spring/summer of last year and over the course of that time, I've been trying to get to sound just right. So far, it sounds nearly there to me.

When looking for the right instrument for the songs, I would go through the samples I have. If it sounds like the one I want to use, I use it. If I found a better sounding sample, I would replace the other sample with the new one. That process doesn't take as long as making the song itself. I also have to be in the mood to work on the song as well.

Once again, thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoy listening to the music. :)

Back