Songs that feel out of place on an album

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Definitely "Girlfriend" (plus it's such a weak song). Maybe "Come Together" too. There are no others I mind...

oh, and DYKWYCA :black_eye:

(NO COMMENT on "Michael" :lol:)
Girlfriend its actually a beautiful McCartney track. Michael also delivered good vocals on the McCartney composed track,i don't really see the problem with it

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
2000 Watts - it does not really fit in IMO.

CD 1 in HIStory - all 15 songs... (Disc 1 should have been released seperately - or released like Xscape - 2 versions of HIStory.

Also Come Together seems out of place. - It was already released as a b-side single (was it all the way back in BAD era or was it Dangerous era?)

Baby be Mine on Thriller maybe....

As many has already said - Girlfriend... - But also Burn This Disco Out maybe.
Burn this disco out its an awesome song from Rod Temperton!!It really did fit the disco feel of the rest of the album!Michael is vocally great as always:D

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Because Why was originally intended for the album, and ended up being used by 3T. That's why.

OTW- Girlfriend- It's a McCartney/Wings P.O.S that was terrible when Paul did it. MJ made it a little better, but not by much. Doesn't go with the flow of the album.

Thriller- None

Bad- Another Part Of Me- Every time I listen to this song, I feel like it's a dated track (recorded prior to 1987). Not very good flow with the Bad album at all. Feels like he took what he recorded for Captain Eo and slapped it on the album. Streetwalker would have fit on the album better IMO. Frankie Dileo and Quincy got that one wrong.

Dangerous- None- MJ's greatest album ever. Don't mess with something that isn't broken.

HIStory- Come Together- Should have been on Bad.

BOTDF- remixes

Invincible- Lost Children- feels like a song MJ just decided to throw on the album.
Another part of me is the funkiest jam Quincy Jones and his musicians composed and produced for Michael!!Its also a concert wonder,the band from the Bad Tour knew how to perform that energetic song!They made it sound even better than what came from the wonders of Quincy Jones's production in the studio (I shouldnt forget Bruce Swieden,another genius behind the Michael Jackson magic). And Michael's vocals (both live and in studio) really flow with the instrumentation. His lycris (since hes credited as the songwriter) also really fit the vocal arrangement and the instrumental production!Its all about a funky,magical jam!For me ,this song it's the quiteessential "Michael Jackson " song. It really shows off the talents of the big ,talented team that worked for and with Michael,all supervised by Quincy . And not the least,the lycris and vocals show again the message and magic of Michael Jackson himself (as the frontman from the team). I dont understand how it doesn’t fit the Bad album..

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
History(the album) is Michael Jackson's artistic affirmation. So covering a tune and turning it into a Michael Jackson-ish feel kind of song isnt out of place. Take Prince for example. Prince was a true musician (just like Michael was,but Prince is better than him ,at least for me :D),a multi instrumentalist virtuoso; composing,producing and songwriting genius,who impacted the music industry by pioneering a unique sound,The Minneapolis Sound;) (which Janet and several songs on the History album benefited from). Being a creative genius (and in my opinion,the best artist that ever lived,also a genius and exciting, spectacular live performer) and releasing more than 35 full of magic studio albums during his career,Prince always found time to do covers.(in concert ,as well on studio albums).Take ,for example,his cover of "A Case of You"(from the 1983 live debut of his masterpiece hit and Oscar winning album,"Purple Rain ") or his released cover of "Crimson and Clover" ,from his 2009 triple disc album "LotusFlo3wr". He did cover these songs and made them sound like Prince songs ,being the genius that he was . With all the thousands songs that he wrote and released or left ,unfortunately,in the vault,he still found space for covering songs and taking them to the next level,by adding his musical and production touch;D
So why wouldnt Michael,a great artist himself,do the same?Not to mention he also owned The Beatles catalog 😀. So the position of a great cover on Michael's most ambitious musical effort does make sense for me
;) Sorry for the long message,but my heart is FULL of L.O.V.E for PRINCE 💖 !😊 As well as for Mike:D 🤗
Although Prince covered other artists' songs, yet he did not want other artists to cover his songs, which was a selfish behaviour on his part.

"…You see, covering the music means your version doesn't exist anymore … That doesn't exist in any other art form - there's only one version of 'Law And Order' [drama television series], but there are several versions of 'Kiss' and 'Purple Rain'…" (Prince, Lopez Tonight Interview, 2011)

About 'Come Together', it is believed that the reason for the inclusion of this cover song on the 'HIStory' album was for symbolic reasons.

Michael Jackson wanted (with that inclusion) to denote that he and Sony formed the Sony/ATV Music Publishing joint venture in 1995 (the year also in which that album came out).

His ATV Music Publishing Catalogue included mostly his rights of the Beatles songs.

He even placed 'Come Together' in the middle of the track list, dividing in that way the second disc into two equal parts.

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Although Prince covered other artists' songs, yet he did not want other artists to cover his songs, which was a selfish behaviour on his part.

"…You see, covering the music means your version doesn't exist anymore … That doesn't exist in any other art form - there's only one version of 'Law And Order' [drama television series], but there are several versions of 'Kiss' and 'Purple Rain'…" (Prince, Lopez Tonight Interview, 2011)

About 'Come Together', it is believed that the reason for the inclusion of this cover song on the 'HIStory' album was for symbolic reasons.

Michael Jackson wanted (with that inclusion) to denote that he and Sony formed the Sony/ATV Music Publishing joint venture in 1995 (the year also in which that album came out).

His ATV Music Publishing Catalogue included mostly his rights of the Beatles songs.

He even placed 'Come Together' in the middle of the track list, dividing in that way the second disc into two equal parts.
Thanks for the info!It made me love his version of Come Together even more :D Yeah I know,Prince could be very self ish

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Michael composed that song himself.
Proof?:3 I know that the lycris are his(since he's credited as the songwriter) ,but since when writting lycris for hooks or writting lycris in general means composing a song?Writting lycris(what Michael did for this song) means writting the track,not composing it. So yeah;)
If I am uneducated on this Im sorry :)

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Let me quote Michael here:

“They don’t wanna give me credit for anything.”
Man,Mike was great,but so quick to complain. Maybe he should pick up an instrument and then talk 😉
At times,he even received loads of undue credit (the whole Invincible album.
Mike barely wrote 1 or 2 songs out of 16...and yet he still has credit on nearly all the songs,even with all the writers demos on YT its obvious that Michael never wrote on that album ,except Speechless and The Lost Children,yet he still has credit. And he also has credit on "playing instruments " on Invincible along with Rodney Jerkins...Michael couldnt play more than a chord on guitar ,only a little of piano at a very ,very nooby level....yet he "played instruments " on Invincible. )
So maybe Michael should have flexed more his musical skills than his complaining skills ;) (Just sarcasm)

analogue

Proud Member
Proof?:3 I know that the lycris are his(since he's credited as the songwriter) ,but since when writting lycris for hooks or writting lycris in general means composing a song?Writting lycris(what Michael did for this song) means writting the track,not composing it. So yeah;)
If I am uneducated on this Im sorry :)
In the album booklet it literally says ''Written and composed by Michael Jackson''

dethorro

Proud Member
Man,Mike was great,but so quick to complain. Maybe he should pick up an instrument and then talk 😉
At times,he even received loads of undue credit (the whole Invincible album.
Mike barely wrote 1 or 2 songs out of 16...and yet he still has credit on nearly all the songs,even with all the writers demos on YT its obvious that Michael never wrote on that album ,except Speechless and The Lost Children,yet he still has credit. And he also has credit on "playing instruments " on Invincible along with Rodney Jerkins...Michael couldnt play more than a chord on guitar ,only a little of piano at a very ,very nooby level....yet he "played instruments " on Invincible. )
So maybe Michael should have flexed more his musical skills than his complaining skills ;) (Just sarcasm)
I’m not denying that he would have benefited from knowing more musical theory and playing instruments but as long as you have a good musical instinct and a brain, you don’t really need an instrument to compose. Most classical composers didn’t always work at an instrument (even those who didn’t have absolute pitch). It’s about recreating the sounds you’re hearing in your head. Michael used his voice to do it rather than a piano or a guitar.

By the way, Michael could play the drums quite well according to Greg Philinganes, so some of those credits may not have been exaggerated. On Invincible, he wrote Speechless and The Lost Children by himself and you can hear it. They are the songs that sound the most authentic and from the heart, no matter whether you like them or not. Michael seems to have contributed to Break Of Dawn as well - the demo sounds pretty different to what ended up on the album.
Regarding the Rodney Jerkins collaborations, I don’t know how involved Michael was in the writing, I’m guessing not very much. However, these songs aren’t really the greatest representation of Michael Jackson as an artist, I would argue. His biggest hits and greatest songs are the ones he wrote himself (with the exception of some of the Rod Temperton tracks and Man In The Mirror).

Nite Line

Proud Member
On the History Album, Come Together and Smile don't fit. History is meant to be Michael's autobiographical album. I believe on an album that is so personal, it should have all songs that are written by MJ or at least songs that are new and not covers. Songs like Morphine and In The Back should have been on the album instead.

And besides, in my opinion, Come Together is an awful song. And Smile is very average as well. Two worst songs on the album. History would have been so much better with the inclusion of Morphine and In The Back instead of Come Together and Smile.

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
On the History Album, Come Together and Smile don't fit. History is meant to be Michael's autobiographical album. I believe on an album that is so personal, it should have all songs that are written by MJ or at least songs that are new and not covers. Songs like Morphine and In The Back should have been on the album instead.

And besides, in my opinion, Come Together is an awful song. And Smile is very average as well. Two worst songs on the album. History would have been so much better with the inclusion of Morphine and In The Back instead of Come Together and Smile.
Smile was Michael's fave song

Nite Line

Proud Member
Smile was Michael's fave song
I know but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

He could have released Smile as a B-side to some single or just a standalone single. It didn't fit the History album, in my opinion.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
I wonder why some people consider the 2nd CD of History an album by itself (or sides 4, 5, & 6 of the record version). It's a Greatest Hits with some new songs added. It's not the first or last such album. Except others usually put 2 or 3 new songs on a Greatest Hits and not an entire CD, lol. I'd guess that is why it's titled HIStory: Past, Present and Future Book 1 in the first place because of the hits. The hits portion was later released separately as a single CD in the USA (as Greatest Hits). The new songs never were. Come Together came out on Moonwalker and as a B-side to some Dangerous era singles.

Lord Szechenyi

Proud Member
I wonder why some people consider the 2nd CD of History an album by itself (or sides 4, 5, & 6 of the record version). It's a Greatest Hits with some new songs added. It's not the first or last such album. Except others usually put 2 or 3 new songs on a Greatest Hits and not an entire CD, lol. I'd guess that is why it's titled HIStory: Past, Present and Future Book 1 in the first place because of the hits. The hits portion was later released separately as a single CD in the USA (as Greatest Hits). The new songs never were. Come Together came out on Moonwalker and as a B-side to some Dangerous era singles.
Because it's a 2 part album
Both a greatest hits, his past
His present and future, which continues the past
HIStory Continues, as how it's mostly published nowadays

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
Some people?99% people consider the 2cnd CD an album.It is one