Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary - Estate Announcement Page 66

C

ChrisC

Re: Spike Lee announces Off The Wall Documentary

This one disc was at Walmart? I need to run down bad get one too!!

I think that's what Alec was saying. I've always felt that album should be released separately. It would be neat to have it look and feel like just a normal album.

*Edit - it appears editions of just the single disc were released in Spain and Italy back in 2011. I've ordered a copy.*

Last edited:

Tygger

Proud Member

Maybe off-topic however; I always thought the packaging of greatest hits with disc 2 was brilliant. It truly did capture Michael's history up to that time. Without the first disc, the second disc loses context.

barbee0715

Proud Member

Maybe off-topic however; I always thought the packaging of greatest hits with disc 2 was brilliant. It truly did capture Michael's history up to that time. Without the first disc, the second disc loses context.
I agree with that idea because it is autobiographical. But expensive. :(. Esp for people like me who already had those original songs in at least 2 or 3 formats.
I'm glad they released it as a choice. I'd like a new CD.

Last edited:

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member

I agree with that idea because it is autobiographical. But expensive. :(. Esp for people like me who already had those original songs in at least 2 or 3 formats.
I'm glad they released it as a choice. I'd like a new CD.

I will def buy the single disc. Great addition to the collection

C

ChrisC

Given what had occurred however it did feel a little...insecure? Is that the right word? Like controversial new material could only be insured against the blockbusters.

HIStoric

Proud Member

It also introduced many people to Michael's work, like me :D

Tygger

Proud Member

Given what had occurred however it did feel a little...insecure? Is that the right word? Like controversial new material could only be insured against the blockbusters.

I believe History was always a greatest hits project. I believe it was Michael who decided to include new songs if I am not mistaken.

C

ChrisC

I believe History was always a greatest hits project. I believe it was Michael who decided to include new songs if I am not mistaken.

Michael and his team were planning a greatest hits for 1990 so it's not like the greatest hits happened because of what happened in 1993.

But in the context of the time it did feel a little like that.

Tygger

Proud Member

Michael and his team were planning a greatest hits for 1990 so it's not like the greatest hits happened because of what happened in 1993.

But in the context of the time it did feel a little like that.

I am agreeing History was always to be a greatest hit project. What I am stating is brilliant was the choice to include a full disc of original songs. Disc one is complete with established hits from the artists while disc two delves into the thoughts and feelings of the artist through his art. That shows courage because Michael could have simply added two (or more or less) pop songs about nothing instead of a full disc about his own thoughts and feelings at a particularly trying time.

Zakk

Proud Member

This ain't about HIStory, I'm hoping something good happens for Off The Wall this year...

C

ChrisC

I am agreeing History was always to be a greatest hit project. What I am stating is brilliant was the choice to include a full disc of original songs. Disc one is complete with established hits from the artists while disc two delves into the thoughts and feelings of the artist through his art. That shows courage because Michael could have simply added two (or more or less) pop songs about nothing instead of a full disc about his own thoughts and feelings at a particularly trying time.

I think you've missed my point. But as Zakk points out, we are derailing the thread.

OffTheWall1979

Proud Member

I thought HIStory was about reclaiming his popularity because of the charges in 93. I have red that this was the reason for doing the greatest hits part.

rsggamer123

Proud Member

must be some sort of announcement fairly soon regarding this?

tricia70

Proud Member

^^ Other MJ albums have been reissued it seems. Good find.

Barbee0715, I believe the Estate attempts their best to not include footage they do not own. I do not know how much of that list you posted they would not own and thus, have to purchase for use. I do not know if Bad25 participated in film festivals. I do know it had a theatrical releases. I do not know why the Bad25 DVD did not include extras (unfortunately). I can only reason the Estate not owning footage.

Is the BAD25 documentary still available for sale? if so, where can I get a copy?

barbee0715

Proud Member

Is the BAD25 documentary still available for sale? if so, where can I get a copy?

Well, it's my opinion that the Estate should negotiate with outside owners of footage (like all documentarians have to do) to get the best possible footage of the background material possible. And yes, it was screened at film festivals-I followed it and read the reviews as Spike did the rounds.

It's available for streaming through ITunes and you can also purchase it here on DVD and Blue Ray:

http://www.michaeljackson.com/cz-en/store/bad-25-documentary

At MichaelJackson.com-store-then click BAD 25

Bubs

Proud Member

I wonder if this documentary is going to be released on August as OTW was released August 1979, or if Spike waits until OTW 40 which is 2019, or maybe it is stand alone documentary and not tied to any other releases?

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$100.00
Michael Jackson June 30th
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljackson

“1979's Off The Wall is one of the finest pop albums ever made and showcases Michael Jackson as a gifted and versatile vocalist, comfortable performing on ballads as well as upbeat disco tracks.” – David O’Donnell for BBC Music
11350577_10153428146701473_5534897614895767040_n.jpg

Dear Estate, what about any kind of announcement ?!

rsggamer123

Proud Member

surely it will come thus year in which case there should be an announcement within the next month or two

Tony R

Proud Member
Paris78;4096924 said:
Michael Jackson June 30th
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljackson

“1979's Off The Wall is one of the finest pop albums ever made and showcases Michael Jackson as a gifted and versatile vocalist, comfortable performing on ballads as well as upbeat disco tracks.” – David O’Donnell for BBC Music
11350577_10153428146701473_5534897614895767040_n.jpg

Dear Estate, what about any kind of announcement ?!

One of my favourite MJ pics. But does anyone know what he's holding?

barbee0715

Proud Member

One of my favourite MJ pics. But does anyone know what he's holding?
Chalk holder with chalk inside. Teachers used them so they didn't get chalk all over their fingers. (and clothes)

m11V_C349LH1oPefySd7_eQ.jpg

Last edited:

HIStoric

Proud Member

Honestly everytime i see this picture, I imagine him holding a flip phone (even though they obviously weren't invented for another 20-25 years). Can totally see it making a great ad actually :p

barbee0715

Proud Member

What I would like to know is when and why he re-took his cover shot. Was it for the cd version or what??

C

ChrisC

What I would like to know is when and why he re-took his cover shot. Was it for the cd version or what??

Oh! Good point. I assumed this was from the original sessions. But his hair is clearly different.