Strangth/Weight Training

KB50MJ

Proud Member
This is for people who know what their doing when it comes to weight training.

I'm 17 years old. I'm 6'0 tall and I weight 196 lbs. I just started lifting weights during the second week of September.

Now I have a few questions about my training and my nutrition. I'll give you a summary of my progress and training. My Goal is to have a low percentage in body fat and to get to 230 lbs in muscle.

I started the second week of September. First I started off with endurance lifting. I did 3 exercises per muscle group and I did 2 muscle groups a day. For these I did 3 sets of 15 reps with low weights. Then about 2 weeks later I added an exercise to each muscle group. Then about a week or 2 later I moved away from endurance lifting and I moved onto Power/Bulk lifting (4 sets of 8 reps with heavy weights). And I was still doing 2 muscle groups a day. Then about a week after that I realized that I want to do 1 muscle group a day so I have all my strength and energy going into that one body part to get the most out of my exercises. Plus I added more exercises to each muscle.

Here is what my schedule looks like(keep in mind that these are all 4 sets of 8 reps with heavy weights):

Monday: Chest
- Flat Bench Press
- Inclined Bench Press
- Reverse Grip Bench Press
- Inclined Dumbbell Press
- Upper Cable Crossovers
- Middle Cable Crossovers
- Lower Cable Crossovers

Tuesday: Back
- Pulldowns
- Seated Rows
- Cable Lat Pulldowns
- Suitcases
- Straight Legged Dead Lifts
- Behind the Neck Pulldowns

Wednesday: Shoulders
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Front Lat Raises
- Shoulder Bar Press
- Shoulder Bar Raises
- Side Cable Lat Riases
- Dumbbell Rear Delts
- Dumbbell Shrugs
- Straight Bar Shrugs

Thursday I take a break

Friday: Arms
(Biceps)
- Straight Bar Curls
- Alternative Dumbbell Curls
- Reverse Curl
- Seated Hammer Curl

(Triceps)
- Dips
- Pushdowns
- Nosebrakers
- Reverse Pushdowns

(Forearms)
- Forearm Curls

Saturday: Legs
- Free Straight Bar Squats
- Lunges
- Leg Extensions
- Leg Curls
- Standing Calf Raises

And Sunday I take off again. And every other day when I work out I do abb work outs and 45 mins of cardio.

Now with my nutrition. I consume about 120-140 grams of protein a day. I have 2 protein shakes everyday, and I eat one 15(and sometimes 30) gram protein bars a day. I eat around 2-3 hard boiled eggs a day and I eat a lot of cashews, nuts, and pistachios throughout the day. Plus I eat around 2 oatmeal meals a day. Also I eat a medium sized dinner most of the time, usually something with meat.

And I've seen A LOT of improvement in my muscle gain since September.

Now that you know my workout schedule and my diet, I have a few questions.

1. I just got done with my 11th week of weightlifting, now with that said, Do you think a schedule like this is good? Or do you think I might over-train myself?

2. Sometimes I feel sore the next day and sometimes I don't. Even when I do all the workouts perfectly. Someone told me that I'm young and I shouldn't worry about that. What do you think about that?

3. After seeing my diet, do you think I'm eating enough foods and consuming enough protein to build mass muscle?

4. I heard that if you take long rests in between sets, it decreases your muscle gain. Like for the most part I take 1 min breaks in between sets. But sometimes I take maybe 1 min and 30 sec brakes. Is that bad?

5. Is there anything else I should know about power lifting, that you think might be useful to me? Anything you think that I could be doing wrong that you think I should change.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Im 17 in jan but i lift weights and exercise

Your diet seems fine of course u need alot of protein about as many grams as your weight in pound i think, Everyone feels sore if you work hard enough so thats good, soreness is weakness leaving the body remember that. I odnt think you're overdoing yourself physically, maybe mentallly cause its hard to keep to but that depends on the person so i can't say, You seem to be going in the right direction

I had a protien shake with 53 grams of protein in ealier, cost me 3 quid and tasted so buff :p

Your protein intake looks good (and you need lots of it for what you doing). 90 seconds is long enough and not too long as your muscles need time to adjust and recover after each set. Can I ask do you have any carbohydrates in your diet? Anything like potato, pasta or rice? Those should not be excluded if you are training 5 days a week with what looks like intense muscular workouts.

Yes I do have some carbs in my diet, but sometimes I try not to eat too many of them becuase I want to loose body fat as well. When you do cardio, your body burns carbs first then moves onto fat. SO the less carbs I eat then the quicker it gets to fats.

But i think I need to consume a little more than I do.

I do. I do my regular weight lifting and then every other day I do cardio.

i dont know anything about it sorry :( but i hope you get to where you want to go :)

If anyone has some basic questions about strength/weight training feel free to PM me!! I heavily into the bodybuilding life style and prep guys for competitions.. I nerd out on some muscular physiology for sure! lol

Back