- Nov 30, 2021
Dangerous recharted?! is it on sale or something? Very odd I hope it sustains.
Top artists nr 79
Does this means his total sales of the year (albums, downloads etc) were good enough to rank at nr 79 of the year?
He surely is the oldest act on the list that high ranked? Maybe Queen and The Beatles feature higher?
Thriller is a great catalogue seller. Sadly every artist eventually becomes synonymous with one album or one song that becomes their signature and what the general public will remember them for. For Michael, it's the Thriller album. For Prince, it's the Purple Rain album.I can't understand how thriller is still yearly in the top 100 best selling albums. It seems to sell more since Michael's passing than it did during the 90s and 00s. Impressive either way but I wish the other albums were good catalogue sellers as well.
I usually go to the below link to get any information about sales and streams.Is there any way to find out how much his other records sold in 2021?
I would really like to compare.
How about downloadeds, there should be transparacy about such things.
Just because Bad doesn't chart, it doesn't mean it doesn't sell. And Bad did chart again after release of Bad 25.cool though I'm surprised at Bad's 11 times platinum stat in the USA. It never charts and I believe it was only at 7 times platinum around 2009. Did they find " lost" sales or so like how the Eagles and Elvis often find forgotten sales numbers lol
Thriller will takeover the Eagles within the next decade, if the Eagles don't manage to find more dodgy sales lol. It has sold over 500,000 units this year alone, and with its 40th anniversary next year and the possibility of its anniversary re-release, it will sell even more in 2022.Streams and youtube views count? In that case thriller will surely jump over the eagles again very soon.
Not sure how you can equate streams with sales though, especially since spotify and youtube are free…
But I don’t make the rules.
Some of Michael's 2021 achievements on the charts and streaming world:
- Off The Wall was certified 9X platinum for units sold of 9 million in the US.
- Bad was certified 11X platinum for units sold of 11 million in the US.
- Thriller was certified 34X platinum for units sold of 34 million in the US.
- Number Ones went 5X platinum for units sold of 5 million in the US.
- The Essential Michael Jackson went 5X platinum for units sold of 2.5 million in the US. It's a two disc album so 2.5 X 2 = 5.
- In June, Billie Jean became Michael's first video to hit 1 billion views on youtube. It is currently has over 1.1b views, which means it has hit over 100m views since, and that is great.
- Billie Jean also became Michael's first song to surpass 1 billion streams on spotify.
- Number Ones became the first 21st century released album to spend 500 weeks on the UK albums chart.
- Number Ones also became the the album with most weeks spent on the UK albums chart by a solo artist, when it surpassed Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell's record of 522 weeks.
- I Want You Back went 2X platinum in the UK for combined units sold of 1.2 million.
- Due to Halloween, Thriller (song) re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 at #19, which was the song's highest position on the chart since March 1984.
- As a result, Michael has had at least one top 20 hit on the main singles chart in the US in 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and 2020s. That is SEVEN consecutive decades.
- Following its' 30th anniversary, Dangerous returned to Billboard 200 at #85, charting for the first time since 2010.
- Thriller (album) was certified 15X platinum for sales of 4.5 million in the UK.
- Bad (album) was certified 14X platinum for sales of 4.2 million in the UK.
- Earth Song was certified 2X platinum for sales of 1.2 million in the UK.
As a keen follower of the charts, 2021 was a great year for Michael. I hope for more of the same in 2022.
Thriller was always since February 1984 the best selling album in the U.S.Thriller will takeover the Eagles within the next decade, if the Eagles don't manage to find more dodgy sales lol. It has sold over 500,000 units this year alone, and with its 40th anniversary next year and the possibility of its anniversary re-release, it will sell even more in 2022.
Streaming is the way music is consumed nowadays. It counts for like 80% of the way music is consumed by its consumers. They have to include streams now. Also spotify also has its premium users, which isn't free. I believe those premium user streams are given more weight than streams from free spotify users. Also, youtube streams don't count for as much spotify streams, as far as I am aware.
Of course, we all know that the Eagle's certification were fake. I just hope that one day that Thriller officially becomes the best selling album in the US again.Thriller was always since February 1984 the best selling album in the U.S.
The eagles fake was just a cheat. When asked they dont know where the sales coming from. Noone knows. They tried to cheat in the 90s, now again. no chance. Thriller was and is all the time Number 1!
Greatest hits are a great way to get the attention of non fans and casual fans. Lets be honest, only hardcore fans truly care about an artist’s entire catalogue. And hardcore fans are very few in number, compared to casual and non fans.The problem with greatest hits albums is that the regular music buyer thinks all he needs of one artist is a greatest hits record, this eventually narrows down the brilliance of an album as all other releases will become redundant. I say it is about time the Estate did something with other music that deserves re evaluation. But sure the album doing well is good news I guess.