The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Nite Line

Proud Member
Rockin Robin was certified Silver in the UK for sales of 200,000. Sales are from 2004 onwards.

Also, Dangerous re-entered the Billboard Top Album Sales Chart at Number 98. This is the first time probably since 2009-10, that Dangerous has appeared on any Billboard chart. I suspect it is due to the 30th anniversary. Just imagine if we get Dangerous 30, Dangerous album will re-enter the Billboard 200.

Nite Line

Proud Member
- Earth Song is certified 2x platinum in the UK for units sold of 1,200,000. This certification was long overdue.

- Number Ones make history as it ties Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell as the longest charting album by a solo artist in the UK. Next week, Michael will break the record and become the artist with the longest charting album by a solo artist. Only albums by bands and groups are ahead of Number Ones.

Hess

Proud Member
More videoes would have been passed the 1 billion stream if the estate had not taken down the videoes en re-uploaded them. - They lost all their views back then.

Nite Line

Proud Member
Billboard Year End 2021

Billboard 200 Albums:
Thriller: #73 (+38 from last year)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #163 (-14 from last year)

Top R&B Albums:
Thriller: #9 (+5)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #19 (Same as last year)

Vinyl Albums:
Thriller: #9 (-1)

Catalog Albums:
Thriller: #11 (+15)
The Essential Michael Jackson: #37 (-6)

Top Album Sales:
Thriller: #16 (+16)

Top R&B / Hip Hop Albums:
Thriller: #52 (+45)

Top Artists:
Michael Jackson: #79 (+15)

Billboard 200 Artists:
Michael Jackson: #42 (+9)

Top R&B Albums Artists:
Michael Jackson: #4 (+4)

Catalog Artists:
Michael Jackson: #6 (+2)

Top Album Sales Artists:
Michael Jackson: #21

Another great year for Michael in the US. His performance improved from last year on almost every chart.

Last edited:

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Top artists nr 79
Does this means his total sales of the year (albums, downloads etc) were good enough to rank at nr 79 of the year?
He surely is the oldest act on the list that high ranked? Maybe Queen and The Beatles feature higher?

I can't understand how thriller is still yearly in the top 100 best selling albums. It seems to sell more since Michael's passing than it did during the 90s and 00s. Impressive either way but I wish the other albums were good catalogue sellers as well.

Nite Line

Proud Member
Top artists nr 79
Does this means his total sales of the year (albums, downloads etc) were good enough to rank at nr 79 of the year?
He surely is the oldest act on the list that high ranked? Maybe Queen and The Beatles feature higher?

Yes, it includes sales & streams of both albums and singles. Out of the classic artists, only the Beatles (#59), Queen (#69) and Elton John (#75) are higher than Michael Jackson on the top artists list of 2021. Obviously Queen and Elton John have had biopics recently and The Beatles have just recently had a documentary released on Disney. Michael sadly doesn't get a lot of positive publicity. If he did, he would be ranked in the top 50.
I can't understand how thriller is still yearly in the top 100 best selling albums. It seems to sell more since Michael's passing than it did during the 90s and 00s. Impressive either way but I wish the other albums were good catalogue sellers as well.
Thriller is a great catalogue seller. Sadly every artist eventually becomes synonymous with one album or one song that becomes their signature and what the general public will remember them for. For Michael, it's the Thriller album. For Prince, it's the Purple Rain album.

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Yes considering the nothing but bad press in the past 2 years and the lack of new releases it is quite impressive. I'm curious to see if this musical will have an impact.