MJstarlight

This song always makes me lol
:lol:

[youtube]ADEh4Ql0Xio[/youtube]

gotta love that Nez!

M

MJstarlight

^

wow thank you! I havent seen that one! :)

omg Micky is so hilarious :lmao:

DuranDuran

Proud Member
^^^I've actually seen that "New Monkees" show, unfortunately. :D It was lame, the guys playing the group weren't funny or interesting, and it didn't stay on long, maybe 2 or 3 episodes. Micky is right about it being a stupid idea, lol. I'm not sure but I think Micky might be talking about Don Kirshner when he says someone is an idiot. They had problems with him in the 60s (especially Mike) and got him fired. But I don't know if Don was involved in the New Monkees or not.

Love.him

Proud Member
Just in case anyone interested in seeing the Monkees, guess what? In the Metro yesterday there was an article about the Monkees touring soon after 45 years in the UK. The article said three of the original members: Peter Tork, Davy Jones, and Micky Dolenz are due to do a 10 date tour in May in Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Cardiff, and Birmingham. Tickets go on sale this Friday.

M

MJstarlight

woohoo!!! I am going to plan on making one of the US dates, thanks for the info!

M

MJstarlight

Micky's and Peter's audition tapes have been found!

[youtube]63nhSFFFfJ4[/youtube]

DuranDuran

Proud Member
[youtube]BvfalWfoXAs[/youtube]
[youtube]ILcNMkOpIHU[/youtube]
[youtube]WmoEHHfimWA[/youtube]
[youtube]9V8uZXWYwMg[/youtube]
[youtube]ghMc4IcnaE4[/youtube]

MIST

Proud Member
I bought chewing gums, in every package you got a picture of someone in the Monkees.
In the back of the picture you got a piece of a picture and you had to buy more chewing gums to get more pictures to get all pieces in the puzzles.
Of course you got pictures you already had and friends had them too so you couldn´t change.

It was a long time ago but I think I most have loved the Monkees then.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
[h=1]Q&A: Michael Nesmith on His Surprising Return to the Monkees[/h][h=2]'I feel this is the start of the ending for me here . . . the end of the beginning'[/h][h=3]by: Andy Greene[/h]<!-- --> <!-- -->Michael Nesmith
Courtesy of Michael Nesmith

When Davy Jones tragically passed away in February, many Monkees fans presumed it was the end of the group. Even members of the band thought it was probably over. "There is a faint chance we'll continue," Peter Tork told Rolling Stone. "I don't know whether we could structure something without Davy. I had a couple of thoughts, but I don't know if they're workable."
What he didn't count on at the time was former Monkee Michael Nesmith returning to the fold. With the exception of a short European run of dates in 1997, Nesmith hasn't participated in any of the Monkees many reunion tours since their split in 1971.

As Rolling Stone announced this morning, he's had a change of heart and the three surviving members of the band will hit the road in November. We spoke with Nesmith via e-mail about the reunion tour and his other future plans.

When I spoke with Peter and Micky shortly after Davy died, they said they hadn't really spoken to you since the 1997 European tour. Where and when did you guys first begin communicating?
We reconnected at a private memorial for David the three of us arranged that was held at a private home.

What made you want to return to the band after all these years? Is this something you'd been contemplating for a while?
I never really left. It is a part of my youth that is always active in my thought and part of my overall work as an artist. It stays in a special place, but like things in the past it fades in and out in relevance to activities that are current. Getting together with old friends and acquaintances can be very stimulating and fun and even inspiring to me. We did some good work together and I am always interested in the right time and the right place to reconnect and play.

Any regrets about not joining them on their tour last year? Were you ever tempted to guest for a song or two last year?
No. It was, as usual, a question of schedules and timing and the focus of our individual work. Had there been an opportunity to join them I would have – but we were out of sync schedule wise.

How will the show address Davy's absence? Will songs he originally sang be included?
David's presence and his past will be throughout the show. He will be missed in his absence, but very much on our minds and in our heart. We will include some of the songs he sang, and do our best.

What sort of setlist can fans expect? Are there certain rarities you're hoping to bring back? Has the band been assembled yet?
We are focusing around Headquarters – our first real sojourn as a band – but the setlist will include all the Monkees fans expect. There are songs of mine and Peter's that have not been performed that we will play. The three of us will play the Headquarters material as we did in the studio – but the shows backing band for the other material will be the same as the last tours – with the exception of the inclusion of my son Christian on guitar.

Is there any talk of recording new material?
No.

Are you interested in continuing with the group after this string of dates ends in December?
Continuing is a big word. If you mean receptive to more concert dates, as I say I am always interested – but much will depend on the logic of events.

I've heard you might go on a solo tour and perform material from your RCA albums. Is that the case? If so, when might that happen?
Yes. But more than the RCA albums. There is a lot of material around later work in video that is fun to play as well. I am doing a short four-concert tour in October in the U.K. And I am looking at a longer solo tour in the States in the spring of '13.

I also heard you want to write a book. What are the plans for that?
I am in that process. This will be my third book – the first two are novels and this will be a type of nonfiction. I use "type" as an equivocator since there is some fiction in it. It is more amarcord than autobiography, more a study of events past in my life and times and how they fit together than a recollection. Vidal made the distinction in his book Palimpsest between the memoir and the autobiography – and that's a good definition for this new book – a kind of memoir – and Tropic of Cancer is another good way to look at the mixture of true stories and fictionally enhanced but real events. (Not to presume to compare myself with Miller or Vidal.) No publisher yet.

Fans haven't heard much from you in a very long time. Now there's all these projects seemingly at once. What's the impetus for all this?
I feel this is the start of the ending for me here – or more precisely, as Churchill had it – the end of the beginning. Now is the time.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ing-return-to-the-monkees-20120808?print=true

DuranDuran

Proud Member

[h=3]They don't worry about their place in rock history. Besides, they're too busy singing on their reunion tour.[/h]By Randy Lewis, Los Angeles Times
4:18 PM PST, November 9, 2012

The Monkees haven't toured together in more than four decades, so it seemed only logical that at a rehearsal this week in North Hollywood, the band's three surviving members might not be in sync.

But two days ahead of a short reunion tour that began Thursday in Escondido, Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork communicated in a secret language as if it were still 1969.
In the middle of a long jam, Nesmith, 69, took his hands off his vintage-style Gretsch guitar and began addressing Dolenz in an elaborate sequence of arm and hand signals (think of ground crew guiding a plane in at LAX). Dolenz, 67, quickly answered in similar body language from behind his gold metal-flake drum kit. Tork smiled.

Nesmith, who hasn't taken part in a full-fledged U.S. tour with the other Monkees since 1969, then translated. "This means," he said haltingly as he continued gesturing, "chili … dog … with … cheese."

You can take the man out of the Monkees, but … well, you know where this is going.
Humor is a key element in the camaraderie among these men, who along with the late singer Davy Jones vaulted to fame in 1966 with their hit TV show "The Monkees" and the string of recordings they made for each week's episode. Even though they were originally hired to portray a zany famous rock band on TV, the songs made bona-fide pop stars out of the four amateur actors-musicians.

Following their first run-through of the whole set at a dress rehearsal Wednesday in Escondido, Nesmith exhibited genuine curiosity, and a little nervousness, when he asked a visitor how the show would come across: "Do you think Monkees' fans will like it?"

Nesmith has reason to question how they'll be received since the band will be touring without one of its lead singers, who was the British heartthrob of the band in the TV series. The reunion tour, which plays the Greek Theatre on Saturday, follows Jones' death this year of a heart attack. He'd toured periodically with Dolenz and Tork since the Monkees released their final album in 1970 and is being saluted in this round of shows through photos, film footage and recordings of some of his songs.

"Of course we miss Davy," Tork, 70, said, "and it's sad to be playing without him. But when Davy, Micky and I were touring, it was sad to play without Mike."

Over the years Nesmith skipped most of the Monkees reunions, citing commitments related to his solo career — including running the Pacific Arts music and video label he launched in the '70s, producing films (including "Repo Man") and writing two novels. (Nesmith trivia: He produced music videos for Lionel Richie's 1983 single "All Night Long (All Night)" and Michael Jackson's 1987 hit "The Way You Make Me Feel.")

But behind the scenes, Jones made remarks during the '97 British tour that hinted at tension with Nesmith, and the 2011 Monkees tour ended prematurely because of reported disagreements Dolenz and Tork had with Jones regarding business facets of the tour.

That's all water under the bridge. "This show, it's not about a loss, it's not a memorial," Nesmith said. "It's acknowledging the gain and the contribution that David made. At this time of our lives, we don't have illusions about what this is: It's about the good work we did."

The Monkees' career lasted barely four years but yielded four No. 1 albums, half a dozen Top 10 singles, three of which reached No. 1, a TV series that's become a comedy classic that still airs around the world and the avant-garde 1968 film, "Head," which reflected the anarchic zeitgeist of the late-'60s while satirically relating the story of the Monkees' rise from creative puppets to masters of their own fate.

"There's no other story like it in entertainment," said music historian Andrew Sandoval, author of the 2005 career diary "The Monkees." "They released their first single in August 1966, the show premiered in September, and by January they'd won their fight for artistic control. It's as if the contestants on 'American Idol' came in one day and said, 'Fire the judges and the producers, we're taking over.' "

That refers to the famous showdown between the Monkees — with Nesmith leading the charge — and music world impresario Don Kirshner, who controlled the music the group recorded, largely from his bevy of esteemed Brill Building songwriters including Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, and Neil Diamond.

Kirshner also had an authoritarian hand over how the band's records were made and packaged. The contributions of ace Hollywood studio musicians who played most of the music on the group's first two albums, "The Monkees" and "More of the Monkees," went largely uncredited, creating the impression that all the music was played by Dolenz, Jones, Nesmith and Tork.

"When they handed me the second album and there were no musician credits on it, I started to smell a rat," Nesmith said. "My position was, 'If you don't need me for this. Replace me. Tell people, "Michael died. Here's the new guy, his name isn't Michael, it's Bubba." ' But the reaction was, 'No, you're right, there is something good here.' That's where the [1968 film] 'Head' came from.

"We thought it was a huge victory," he said. "It was hard fought and it was brutal but it was worth it.... We came up against a corporate monster and just said no — and not in the Reagan-era sense of the word. In that sense, people recognized we don't need to be making stuff up. If you look at what we're actually doing, it takes your breath away."

That bit of pop history will underscore this tour, a portion of which will be devoted to their third album, 1967's "Headquarters," the first after the battle the led to Kirshner's ousting.

"It's the first album we were the musicians on, the first which we had creative control over," said Tork, who performs and records with his own band, Shoe Suede Blues, when he's not occupied with Monkees business, while Dolenz has kept active in musical theater and recently released a new solo album, "Remember." "We were very pleased with ourselves — rightly or wrongly — with that album."

The reunion show also will include all the songs from "Head," the experimental film written by Jack Nicholson and Bob Rafelson.

Today the Monkees have no shortage of fans, and not all of them are boomers. The TV show went into syndication in the 1970s, then became a major hit with a new generation at the dawn of MTV, which ran episodes three times a day in the 1980s, leading to a major Monkees revival. Their original studio albums were reissued and returned the group to the Billboard charts two decades after it formed.

Nesmith, a pioneer of video music who received the first music video Grammy Award 20 years ago, recently set Monkees fans abuzz when he wrote on his Facebook page that Jimmy Fallon was begging to sing "Daydream Believer" in Jones' place on the upcoming tour, then subsequently teased that Kevin Spacey was lobbying for the job.

"I think I was just channeling Mike of the Monkees, reconnecting with his impish self," he said. "I started to see from the feedback of [fans] responding to the notion about who should sing 'Daydream Believer' where it fit into so many people's lives."

But of the fans who bemoan that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has never inducted the Monkees, group members aren't among them. "It's their museum [and] I don't feel the least bit slighted, or snubbed in any way," said Nesmith, the Texas-born musician famous for his green knit beanie and who was originally pigeonholed as "the smart Monkee."

"The Monkees will be wherever they belong — I have a lot of confidence in that because of where we have popped up, in the right places, over time," Nesmith said. "Put the Monkees in the Smithsonian if you want to do something worthwhile in terms of memorializing the band's place in the culture."

Back in the day the Monkees' legitimacy was often questioned by those out of grade school, but it was never an issue for the band they were partly modeled after, the Beatles.

"The Beatles always got the whole Monkee thing," Dolenz said, adopting a Liverpudlian accent to quote John Lennon: "It was John who was the first one to say, 'It's like the Marx Brothers.'"

"The Monkees were in the mix with most of the lions of rock 'n' roll," Nesmith said, "but we got there by special permission because of the TV show. None of us are fooling ourselves into thinking we are one of the great classic-rock bands. We are kind of an iconic garage band, sort of the inmates taking over the asylum, and we have a lot of fun."

DuranDuran

Proud Member
1153252_orig.jpg

This spring, Michael Nesmith will embark on his first US solo tour since the early 1990s. Announcing the tour today on Facebook, Nez will play fifteen concerts around the country. “I have accepted a few dates here for solo concerts starting west and heading east. I'm putting the players together now, about fifteen dates in all,” Nesmith wrote.

Dates and venues will be posted here as they become available.

DuranDuran

Proud Member
The Monkees - The Complete Series On Blu-ray
Release: January 2016
monkees_email_1.jpeg

&#8226; All 58 episodes, newly remastered in stunning HD from the original negatives for the very first time, plus the 1969 TV Special &#8220;33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee&#8221;
&#8226; Bonus material featuring commentaries from all four Monkees, original Kellogg&#8217;s Monkees commercials, and more
&#8226; The 1968 Monkees film &#8220;HEAD&#8221; in HD with never-before-seen outtakes
&#8226; Unique packaging including a 7&#8221; of two previously unreleased TV mixes
&#8226; Strictly limited to 10,000 individually numbered sets
&#8226; Only available at Monkees.com

50 years ago today on September 8, 1965, when producers Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider placed a classified ad in The Hollywood Reporter seeking &#8220;4 insane boys,&#8221; they had no idea that they were about to unleash Monkee-mania! But that&#8217;s exactly what happened the following year when the first episode of &#8220;The Monkees&#8221; debuted on NBC on September 12, 1966.

On the 50th anniversary of that fateful casting call, Rhino is excited to announce the upcoming release of the entire series (58 episodes) in stunning high-definition Blu-ray for the very first time, painstakingly restored from the newly located original film negatives. The 10-disc Blu-ray collection with also include the 1968 cult-classic &#8220;HEAD,&#8221; along with many never-before-seen outtakes from the film. It&#8217;s the beginning of many surprises planned to celebrate The Monkees&#8217; 50th anniversary in 2016.

While we don't have final package art yet, we will be revealing it soon, along with behind-the-scenes making-of videos and samples of the stunning new transfer vs. the current versions, plus plenty of surprises, like this original TV spo...y 50 years!

Shipping January, THE MONKEES - THE COMPLETE SERIES ON BLU-RAY is now available for pre-order exclusively at Monkees.com. This fan edition is individually numbered and is strictly limited to 10,000 sets &#8211; this WILL sell out quickly, so place your pre-order now!
[video=youtube;xgq0RupkXDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgq0RupkXDs[/video]

Last edited:

DuranDuran

Proud Member
By MATT FRIEDLANDER
May 27, 2016, 9:54 AM ET ABC News
tumblr_o7pr584w1E1rw606ko1_r7_1280.jpg

Here it is! The Monkees' first studio album in 20 years was released today.

"Good Times!" celebrates the band's 50th anniversary and features new contributions from surviving members Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork. It also includes tunes written especially for the project by a variety of respected modern-rock artists.

Nesmith told ABC News that he was pleasantly surprised with "Good Times!"

"I thought it came out great, and the songs that people have been writing for it I thought were great," noted Nesmith.

"It just came together like an ordinary record, but because it was our 50th [anniversary], we knew it was gonna be kind of a touchstone, so everybody had high hopes for it," he continued. "And then when it came out like it did, it was like, 'Holy smokes, this actually…sounds good!' And so, we were thrilled."

The album includes tunes written by Weezer's Rivers Cuomo, Oasis' Noel Gallagher, The Jam's Paul Weller, XTC's Andy Partridge and Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard. Nesmith said he especially liked Gibbard's contribution, "Me and Magdelana," as well as a track that Weller and Gallagher co-wrote, "Birth of an Accidental Hipster."

On "Me and Magdelana," Nesmith trades lead vocals with Dolenz. He said that working with his old band mate on the parts for that song, and other tracks, was one of the things he most enjoyed about making the album.

"It was very easy 'cause we worked together for so long," he pointed out, adding that "having the different writers gave us so many more things to say and so many more opportunities at a good time. Ha! No pun intended."

"Good Times!" certainly shares many elements with The Monkees' classic 1960s material, including infectious melodies and jangly guitars.

Still, Nesmith feels that the new album is more than a trip down memory lane.

"The thing that I think works so good about the new record is that it really is in the moment," he insisted. "It's happening right now. These are real people, right now, singing it in this real time."